150 Steps in April

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

sceptique
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps in April

Post by sceptique »

mango In reply to you question, what would you do, if you didn't have to work. For me the answer is easy - study. I'm an eternal student and voracious reader - I read 3 books at a time, always enrolled into some course (which regularly gets me into a bit of financial trouble), and can't drive unless an audiobook is playing in my car. The second best thing to studying is trying out things I learned. Actually, now, at the second year of my sabbatical I realised that I don't need not to have to work to be able to enjoy all of this, so I'm starting to think about going back to full-time job (about time - the business has eaten up nearly all my credit cards and it may take a while to take off even though it's up and running). I'm starting to think that there is a way to work for someone and not feel trapped. If I sound too obscure, I'd suggest you get a book by Victor Frankl "Man's Search for Meaning" - he told it much better than I can tell at the moment. (Well, I'm learning to express myself more clearly, because I'm starting to feel I've got things to say - perhaps I will finally get to write that book I've been planning for so many years).
“My reputation grows with every failure.” George Bernard Shaw

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Mango, congratulations on discovering what you want with so much clarity! I have been much happier overall since I quit my last full-time job. The best part is not being subject to "superiors" on ego trips or who have other issues. Good luck! Sceptique, your website looks gorgeous! Cheesecurry, thanks for the info on the NI. I agree with you on talking to others about a project. It does become more serious because that person will want to know what happened. And I guess you're ready to focus on May, but I'm not! April (and 2008!) are passing much too quickly! As for me, looks like I'll be spending the day with Resistance. The timing is fortunate, since I was going to take the day off anyway. But I have a hair appointment early this afternoon and I need to go to the bank. I was going to go to the mall but I don't even feel like doing that right now. Nothing seems to appeal. I guess I'll go with the flow today. Hope everyone has a good day! -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Thanks, sceptique and Mannix. :) Just had a wonderful hour with my therapist, and scheduled another appointment for next week. She is definitely on my support team, and so is my shrink. That makes two! Interesting to find out that my job hell and marriage problems are related. :bash: Major plans to go through our expenses and be ruthless. I like that word too. That's my step toward working from home today.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all! Nice to report back here after a few days of absence. My out-of-town gig on Tuesday was cancelled! Halfway through the drive we get a call from our record label manager informing us that the band we are opening for hasn't managed to cross the border and therefore the show has been "postponed indefinitely". Ah well, sh!t happens as they say. Other than that I've been getting a few translation gigs here and there, and last night I went to see a concert some friends of mine were giving and went to the party afterwards. I really made an effort once again to connect with many interesting guys. Some approached me, and some I approached on my own. I didn't really feel prompted to ask any for their number, but I still am applauding myself for my efforts. I am not a very social person, so it's a big thing for me. My friends have also been noticing my proactiveness and congratulating me for it. Cheesecurry, what type of freelance work do you want to do? As a freelancer myself, I would advise you to focus on developing only one or two ventures at the beginning, then once those start generating a substantial income, move onto developing the others. Which business venture seems to have the most potential or seems the most interesting to you? Lynx, the work you do seems very interesting! I look forward to hearing more about it. Mango, I am really proud of you for thinking constructively and keeping a proactive attitude in this difficult time you are going through. Seeking the proper support is definitely one of the most important steps, and you seem to be doing great in that area. Good luck to you!

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

1. complete all necessary paperwork to register for two classes, get transcripts, secure funding 2. eat at home, good yummy food 3. walk to places downtown rather than drive 4. schedule one day a week as letter writing day and write 2 - 3 letters 5. keep house tidy, with my stuff more separated from roommates stuff 6. behave responsibly in regards to crush on MLWB 7. work on garden at least 20 minutes per day 8. plan money spending today 5 did my time in the garden 6 ate at home, spent no money on food outside the house 7 behaved responsibly in regards to crush, and now that's done, goal accomplished.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, all, As expected, I didn't do a whole lot yesterday. I did get my hair done (it took 2 hours!) and went to the mall to eat lunch and buy some new make-up at a store I like. I didn't think I'd bought that much (I don't wear a lot) but the total came to $65! Didn't feel like shopping anymore after that, so I wandered through the bookstore, came home, and watched TV the rest of the evening. Today I'm attending a Solo-Ensemble Festival where two of my students will perform. This is the same festival I'd been asked to judge and decided not to. I think I made the right decision: I'm really glad I don't have to spend the entire day there. Between now and festival time, I plan to work out at the gym, do some work on my teleconference goals, pay bills, and find out where we are with taxes. Hope everyone has a good day, -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Thanks, Jane! Ann Marie, I have been amusing myself trying to figure out what the initials of your crush stand for. Nice to see you back. Mannix, congrats on making the right decision about the festival. Today, I want to get some serious work done on the business plan. I think I have figured out exactly how much money the business would have to bring in to replace my job income if we pay off all of our debts. :D I have to stay a little bit angry to stay in forward motion without my husband's support, so forgive me if I sound a bit scary over the next little bit. :oops: To reward myself, I'm going to the bookstore afterward to relax. I had written 'to have a cup of coffee and relax' but I have decided to stop spending any superfluous money, so I guess I will take a bottle of water and a packet of Crystal Light. :D

-- Agnes de Mille

Cheesecurry
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Cheesecurry »

Jane B wrote:Cheesecurry, what type of freelance work do you want to do? As a freelancer myself, I would advise you to focus on developing only one or two ventures at the beginning, then once those start generating a substantial income, move onto developing the others. Which business venture seems to have the most potential or seems the most interesting to you?
Hi Jane B - thanks for the notes, but I think this is exactly where I am stuck. I mean, you're asking a scanner to choose here! :P I do have a serious question though - one thing that has always frightened me is that if I take something I love and start turning it into a business, then all the joy will be lost. Have you, or anyone else here, turned a love into a way to make money and still kept the love? I guess I could do with some inspiration! James
Do more (Think less)

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

I do have a serious question though - one thing that has always frightened me is that if I take something I love and start turning it into a business, then all the joy will be lost. Have you, or anyone else here, turned a love into a way to make money and still kept the love?
Hmmmm I guess the only way to really know is if you give it a try. However, I believe that if you are truly "in love" with something, that love will always be there whether or not you make a living from that thing. Personally, music is my passion and I consider myself a semi-professional musician. I say semi-professional because I have done pretty much everything a professional musician does: been involved in "serious" bands, recorded an album, signed a record deal, toured all over North America, etc. however I don't make much money from it. Whether or not I will earn a substantial living from it someday is irrelevant to me. The important thing is that I keep doing music projects that I love. I would hesitate to make an important commitment to a project that pays well but doesn't really interest me from a musical point of view. I have a good sideline (freelance translator) to take care of that. In my case that has been the approach: doing what I love for it's own sake, pursuing my dream in my own unique way, without making it a priority to draw an income from it. I am sure that many musical ventures available out there would bore me to death, but I am also sure that if I were to become involved in these, it would never change the love I have for music. It would only prompt me to do things differently. I understand when you say you are a scanner and have a hard time choosing one thing. I am a scanner myself. I'd be interested in hearing about the different things that you want to do. Maybe you could pick out one idea that seems promising and keep in mind that the others will all be there if ever you really want to do them.

starbaby
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by starbaby »

Hello steppers.... 53. I got my hair done. 54. I had all 3 kids by myself all week, while my husband went to work, and we all survived. 55. Visited The Museum of Natural History with all of the kids and my husband. 56. Took my toddler to the par and out to lunch. 57. Laundry, dishes, changing pampers, bathing babies, burping baby and nursing, etc. 58. Wrote out and mailed 2 more "Thank You" cards. 59. Bought "My First Trampoline" for 2 year old, and a 7 foot basketball hoop for 9 year old step son for the house in NJ. 60. Booked weekly physical therapy appointments for scar treatments from my c-section, and for my stomach muscles. 61. Scheduled Bridget to babysit 2 year old while I go to physical therapy. 62. Heather came over and helped me finish sorting out books to be donated... 10 banker boxes!! 63. Donated a bag of wooden and plastic hangers to Goodwill. 64. Somehow, was able to watch 3 dvds with my husband... "I am Legend", "London" and a Jody Foster film... I forgot the title. 65. Began replacing the objects that were on the fireplace mantle, that were removed when I decorated for Christmas. 66. Dropped off all maternity sweaters and winter coat to be dry-cleaned so I can get ready to sell them on e-Bay and/or Craigslist. 67. Began reading "Burned" by Ellen Hopkins. 68. Still reading, but almost finished with "Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover" 69. Spoke to brother in law about replacing al wall outlets, and checking leak under sink. 70. Had landlord spray/exterminate for roaches... he did a sloppy job, so am still looking for another way to get rid of these bugs.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Opened the refrigerator today to discover the in-laws had left several vials of my father-in-law's insulin, plus another prescription. I called my mother-in-law to tell her the medicine was still here and learned my mother-in-law had to go into the hospital the day after they got home. Her heart developed an irregular rhythm and had to be "reset." So many health problems between them, happening at the same time. I can tell my husband is worried. Don't know what's going to happen .... Starbaby, as usual, such an incredible list! I think you should write a book disclosing the secret of how you get so much done, even with small children. I'm sure there would be a big demand! You might even end up on the Today Show! :D Cheesecurry, I have mixed feelings about making a business out of a passion. I think you have to be clear on what it is you love most about whatever you do, and also be true to your own personal style. Be careful that any partners you might bring into your endeavor share these preferences. And, of course, if you find yourself starting to dread working in the field you once loved, consider doing something else as a supporting income stream. Hope this helps. My students performed well at the Solo-Ensemble festival today! They got the highest possible rating. I think the performers and their parents were pleased. Now ... what to work on next? I've given the boy some Irish fiddle tunes which he loves, and I think the girl would like to try some, too. Only snag is, she's a viola player, and sometimes arrangements for viola are harder to find. May be time for a trip to the music store. Hope everyone had a productive day, and see you soon! -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all! Have a few more steps to report. Last Wednesday, I mentioned I went to a show followed by a party and tried to socialize with several guys there. Well the next day, I got a call from one guy with whom I had had a great time that night (he had my phone number because he plays in a band with my roommate); he invited me to come watch the hockey game with some friends, which I did, and had a great time, even though I'm not much of a hockey fan. We'll possibly be seeing each other again over the weekend! Not too sure about him yet, but I'm glad that things seem to be moving in the area of meeting and dating guys. Also, tonight I went out to the concert of a band that's signed to a record label that I dream to be on someday. I had exchanged a few messages on myspace with one of the band members a week before. I got to meet her in person and connect with her briefly after the show. Don't know if it will lead to anything, but I'm glad I did it. I'm on chapter 2 in Live the Life You Love. The chapter where she talks about identifying your imaginary allies. Honestly this seems a bit flaky to me. Has this helped anyone? I am having trouble getting through the exercises and taking them seriously. Of course I understand the importance of having role models and all, but visualizing them sitting on my bed n' stuff... Perhaps this would be more helpful to people who are just starting to move towards their dreams and therefore need all the support they can get. Any thoughts?

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, Jane, I just finished the tape with the imaginary allies. I had trouble with it, too. I finally accepted I was one of those people for whom that exercise doesn't fit and just listened to what Barbara had to say on the tape. However, I did notice that my favorite DVDs --70's TV shows like "Columbo," "the Rockford Files," and "Starsky and Hutch" -- all feature strong, compassionate male characters. I have a habit of watching them at night before I go to bed or when I'm home alone. So I think that's my version of the allies. They help me feel safe and that's what the allies are supposed to do anyway. Maybe you do have allies, if you think about it. And congratulations on connecting with so many different guys! Lots of stuff to do this weekend. I was going to take Sunday afternoon off, but not sure I can. Anyway, for today: -- Meet with personal trainer for workout at home. -- Locate copy of our 2006 return to help fill out county tax form due May 1. :shock: -- Catch up on laundry (seems I'm never caught up). Now a terrible smell in the basement from an old carpet that got wet. See what I can do? :? -- Bills are due, it's time to start doing yardwork .... Blaaaaahhh! Too much stuff coming up. I need another vacation. Have a good day, everyone, -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Ha. I didn't work on the business plan, but I went to the bookstore and relaxed! Aw, hell. I'm almost 40. I can have dessert before dinner if I want to... :D Actually, I'm coming off one of my meds (this is Day 3) and it's really tough. It's making me really dizzy. and I find it hard to concentrate and think normally. I'm hoping it won't last for much longer.

-- Agnes de Mille

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Saturday afternoon success story: I backed a Dodge Magnum into the driveway without taking out the mailbox, leaving treadmarks on the front lawn, etc. Hooray! :D