150 Steps in April

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in April

Post by mango »

I registered for the online course through my local tech college: Accounting Fundamentals I. It is a 6-week course that starts on May 21, and it cost me a whopping $58. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I bot this Step

Post by Lynx »

Hi climbers I'm shifting several things that are beginning to show steady, small effects. For one, I now have to "buy" my visits to 150 Steps by entering receipts in the spreadsheet, and when those are caught up finding something to get rid of (recycle, giveaway, or if very poor conditions, trash), etc. This way come December 31 I'll have all my receipts lined up and ready to go for tax prep season, a less cluttered space, and extreme calm. Second, I have to do a small step on each of several projects once every day or so, at my best every consecutive days. The list is web site, final papers (will, living will, power of attorney, advance directive), promoting my executor booklet and my book on power and love. I went around in circles for about a week with the what would be a minimum step. Finally, I got it, I can decide every day. So one day for the book the whole step was open computer file for next section and save file. So I did, and dang it, while I was there several lines of stuff just flowed out of me. Support: Jane B, the imaginary friends idea has been around for a long time. I'm not sure how Barbara presented it, so she may have presented more details than you need. It's about imagination. Some examples, Pablo Picasso would imagine the whole line of previous master painters looking over his shoulders approvingly as he painted. I myself have had imaginary board of directors who met and discussed my proposals, etc. Depending on what I wanted to do I had different directors. And, when I was dragging myself out of being chronically alone, I had an imaginary council of about seven of the women I'd ever been most attracted to (whether I'd known them personally or not) helping me out. This was particularly helpful as I"m the oldest of three brothers with no sisters. From somewhere (this council?) I get great ideas. My most ambitious valentine's day present was to arrange a dinner with our favorite newspaper food critic. I didn't know her, but managed to track her down and she agreed! Now, how would frugal me ever have imagined that without some help? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, Well, this day veered into addressing house emergencies. First, we had an invasion of sugar ants in the kitchen. But that was second to the issue in the basement. The mildew smell was not from an old carpet, but a part of the A/C system that had become unattached. Water had spilled out of the gap and caused another big puddle and soaked the dirty laundry. It had been there awhile. Some of my white socks have strange pink spots all over them. :oops: So another evening of mopping and sorting dry dirty laundry from water-logged laundry. I also found out something's wrong with our new washer. On the spin cycle, it sounds like an airplane trying to take off from the basement. Got the basement problem under control, then moved everything away from the kitchen counter and sprayed for ants. Loaded dishwasher and ran on super-clean cycle. (The ants like to hang out in the dishwasher as well.) Before these incidents, I filled out that pesky tax form, did some yardwork, had personal training session this morning. I can feel my lower back tightening up from the workout, raking and mopping. I hope it will be okay tomorrow. My student canceled, so nothing on my calendar for Sunday! No plans at this moment. I don't want to work on goals, but I don't want to do any of the usual things I do when I goof off, either. Maybe something will come to me in the morning. Hope you are all enjoying the weekend, -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

LOL good luck with all your house misfortunes, Mannix. For my part, I finally got around to sweeping and mopping the kitchen and bathroom floors, something I procrastinate about and only do when it gets really bad, which was the case this weekend. So I move all the stuff around and do it. And then when I'm done and moving stuff back into its place, I spill the cats' litter aaaaall over the kitchen floor! Harrrrrgh! Luckily I had changed it earlier! But it was still a helluva mess, and of course I had to mop again afterwards!

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Hi everyone, Lynx, thank you very much for giving down to earth and personal illustrations of the imaginary council. I also had troubles with this as I tried with people like Oprah and other well knowns and couldn't make it work as our lives are so different. No compulsive shopping for weeks. But having sleepless nights for weeks worrying about getting to an appointment in a part of the city i'd never been to alone and as I'm walking. All the maps haven't been detailed enough but at 4 am this morning woke after another nightmare about it, and found a good satellite one. Also, I don't know what you would call this, but I'm very hypersensitive around historical places and whichever route I take to this clinic I have to go past either castle remains and church ruins or else another ancient church which has always caused me to have panic attacks. Hence the sleepless nights. I love history so much and whenever I read about that city and look at photos of the streets that have now been pulled down, it's like a spiritual experience :shock: but it really affects me in strange ways when I'm there. Mannix, sorry about the problems at home. Life seems to be 2 steps forwards 4 steps back. Mango - is this course advanced compared to the book keeping one you did? Starbaby - hope you're finding time for yourself too. cheesecurry - hope you enjoy using that other group as well as this Welcome back to the steppers that have been away for a while

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning all, and thanks for the sympathy about the house disasters. I think the worst is over with the wet laundry. I put the bedsheets - which had soaked up the most water - into the washer this morning. All remaining laundry is just dirty laundry, so no big rush. However, there will soon be a ton of clothes to fold and put away. (Yuck.) Jane, I laughed a little at your story. I can see the kitty litter going everywhere and you slapping your forehead in frustration! :wink: It's nice to know it's not just me who has days like yesterday - thanks for sharing! And by the way, my basement floor definitely needs a serious cleaning after last night. Unity, I'm not sure what to say about your sensitivity to the ancient ruins. Perhaps you should look at it as part of your unique gift. These ruins, and history, touch you in a way they touch no one else. You're seeing something in them that most people don't see. As for the nightmares, do you think they will subside now that you have a good map? Is your appointment in a high-crime area? Maybe you could walk part of the way and take a taxi when you get to the area of concern. Hope this helps. I still don't know what I'm going to do today. Will probably finish watching "Meet the Press" on TV, but my favorite part -- the opening titles and music -- is over now. Other than that, I could go do the errands I'd planned for today, or stay here and really catch up on the laundry so it's not hanging over my head the rest of the week. I also need to spend some time on my teleconference goalwork... Guess I'll decide later and post more then. Good Sunday, everyone! -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Mannix and Jane, glad you survived your household upsets. Urs, that is mysterious and fascinating, and I'm so jealous that you live near ruins and such. I'm such an Anglophile. If I don't move to the UK someday, it will be a massive tragedy. I'm feeling freaked out this morning. I guess it's because I checked my work e-mail. There wasn't anything of note, it just reminded me that I eventually have to go back, and I feel like I just can't. I've never felt like this before. Still haven't worked on the business plan. Caught up in the decluttering and such, but I really need to get back on track.

-- Agnes de Mille

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

For today, I've decided to set up some specific goals to accomplish between tomorrow and Friday. Lynx, I'm going to borrow your idea of setting up small steps for a number of projects. I've tried to do this before, but I think the goals aren't specific enough, or realistic. (For example, "declutter the house." Not going to happen in the next five days. But what can I do in five days?) The reward for completing these tasks will be a visit to the horse farm on Friday, and then travel to Winchester to see the annual Fireman's Parade on Friday night. (I should be able to work it so I can make my Saturday gig from my parents' house.) It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to set some goals to finish before I go to the beach again, which will be late June/early July. Mango, sorry you're dealing with those freaked-out feelings. Can you review your situation to see if there's some way you wouldn't have to go back to this job? Or, set a deadline at which point you will turn in your resignation? OK, it's off to planning! -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Thanks, Mannix. I left a voicemail for my shrink. I'm feeling afraid to leave the house. :( Wacky, I know. Urs, I took a real estate course and a tax course, but have only been talking about taking the bookkeeping course, so this is it.

-- Agnes de Mille

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Hi everyone, mango, I shouldn't have mentioned that panic over my trip as I seem to have set you off too. If you are feeling like that then perhaps you need to listen to your inner voice and stop work now. I don't know what the fallout will be with your husband but it can't be worth getting so ill. Other people lose jobs, have debts and get over it. Someone might not want to lose their sports car but your health has to come first. Mannix, thanks for your comments on my strange feelings. Yes, there is wonderful history in Uk. I live in a village and from my bedroom window I can see 2 very old churches still in use. Here's a scary thing. Someone I know lives right near the oldest church and their doorstep is made from ancient gravestones, one is a child's. Yuk! I don't think I could live in their house - could you? Mannix - small steps are the way forward. I've just finished a huge de-clutter project and it would have taken longer if I'd attempted it in bigger chunks.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Mango, sometimes I'm afraid to leave the house, too. Or at least experience resistance to it. It's not whacky, and it's great you've acknowledged the feeling rather than denying it. Hope you'll get some peace when you meet with your doctor. Unity, I love learning about the Kings and Queens of England. I love the stories of the Six Wives of Henry VIII. Some day I'd like to see where Catherine of Aragon is buried. (Already seen where Anne Boleyn was executed at the Tower!) Made a rough draft of when I'll have time to work on projects this week. It really does put things in perspective. Next step is to decide which steps I will complete by Friday. Have to sign off soon because my husband is putting in a new kitchen light and shutting off the electricity. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

8 spent oodles of time in garden 9 ate at home 10 wrote part of a letter 11 tidied house 12 went to all BCRPA courses 13 made calls re funding for classes 14 mailed letter for Ont transcripts 15 asked proff to write a letter of recommendation 16tidied up room 17 tidied up newspaper area in living room 18 had kid do her chores for tidying up in house must keep posting! should add that to my goals list 19 posted today

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, My day consisted mainly of running errands and planning out my week. I also downloaded some music and a DVD on how to scream (like metal singers do) without hurting yourself, since this is one of the things I'm working on right now (read below) Tapit, I just realized you wrote several days ago asking more about what I do, but I never got around to answering. So here it is for you and anyone else who may be interested. Right now I'm working with two bands. One is a reggae-ska band that has kept me quite busy over the past three years. I play saxophone in this band and also do a bit of singing. We got a record deal and did several North American tours, opened for some bigger artists, etc. Speaking of which, tonight there was a TV special on reggae music; the singer of my band was one of the people interviewed, and they plugged our band and part of a video we recorded. Yay! Recently I decided to "take leave" of the aforementioned reggae band, in the sense that I still collaborate with them but am no longer a full-time member. I wanted more time to focus on other things, namely a rock band I started about a year ago with some close friends of mine. We all have different music backgrounds and one day my friends decided to start a rock band for fun and asked if I would be the singer.It went into hibernation over several periods of time, but we have been working at it more seriously over the past few months; very recently we played a couple shows about town, and our folks responded very favourably. We're doing mainly covers right now so we can get out and play shows, but we also are starting to write our own material, which is a longer process. The influences are very varied right now, but there is definitely a metal sound. Musically it's totally different from anything any of us has done before, but we're really enjoying it and there is a great vibe within the band. As for my translation, I translate from English to French and vice-versa. Having been blessed with a French speaking father and English speaking mother, I am perfectly bilingual.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Small Steps and Side Steps

Post by Lynx »

MicroStepsAbout Morning all, thanks for all the frequent updates everyone. Read them though I sometimes forget who is attached to a step I know about. Jane B, thanks for the personal bio. Rock on. Working more steadily on my book and loving it. Went through a stage where I felt I had to read a lot of other people. This followed a stage when I felt I had a great idea. But then panic set in: who am I to write this book, I need to know more of the history of this concept, etc. Then bogged downsville to slog through some of that stuff. I'm working on a book about the interplay, interweave of Power and Love in our lives and communities. I see we just don't "get" power right. For one thing, there's at least 30 different types of power, and when you blend or add or dilute them together you can run into millions of types. To keep ourselves from ripping ourselves apart there's love, also not well "gotten." Between them is open hearted, vulnerable, talk and other communication ABOUT how we handle power and love. That's the tough part, and a large measure of how I earn my money facilitating these difficult yet potentially healing conversations. So, opened a file a few days ago, a few lines, closed file. Wanted to check in last night on 150 steps, but, had to pay admission—work on that file a bit. Filled over a page with a creative dialogue (imaginary allies) between Mary Parker Follett and Mahatma Gandhi on "compromise." She's agin it, he's for it. Then, in the dialogue, they both advised me to check out a book by Peter Blau. Never heard of him before seeing his book on the library shelves. So a web search turned up that he's a giant in sociology, student of Robert Merton, and the book I found still has currency in the field. Plus, there's a web site of conversations honoring his name, and from there I found an interesting paper on yet another site about rapid decision making in highly cooperative contexts. Probably way more than you'd like to know, so I'll just quietly wave bye-bye. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Grr... Need Help Getting Off the Hampster Wheel

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, Ack! I'm in that trap again. Once again, I've stuck myself with a daily task list that will take all night to finish. I think there's something I'm not getting about time management, prioritizing, or taking on too many commitments. It wasn't realistic to think I could teach 4 students back-to-back and go on to something else with no break, then teach another student later this evening. I have 8 projects I'm trying to work on simultaneously, and I just realized I haven't allowed time for practicing the violin, or even making dinner! One of the things I want is enough time complete important steps toward a goal and still have time to enjoy a meal or take a walk! Instead I keep creating these unrealistic scenarios and when I realize I can't finish everything on the daily list, I get frustrated and stop. Has anyone mastered this problem? Maybe this would be better as the topic of a separate discussion. Anyway, thanks for listening, -- Mannix