150 Steps in April

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps in April

Postby mango » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:41 pm

I just found out that my mother has breast cancer. :(
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Just realized that in the midst of massive decluttering (for several months now), I have set up a home office! Didn't realize that's what I was doing at the time, but it's another (unexpected) step forward. Meeting with my therapist tomorrow to plan my next steps.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Beebelle » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:21 pm

So sorry to hear about your mother mango. I hope everything goes well for her, and the treatment works. I hope you are handling it ok. My thoughts are with you and yours.
Beebelle
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Jane B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Mango, my thoughts are with you and your mother. Please keep us posted on how things go.
Jane, knowing there are private teachers for the heavy-metal style really changes my perspective of the genre!
Many people who are unfamiliar with heavy metal music see it as just a lot of noise. But with a little exploration, you discover that it is a music that requires great technical abilities and a lot of physical strength. That being said, voice teachers who specialize in the genre are quite rare, at least I would imagine. The one I found through my online research is based in New York. She is classically trained, has developed this method and has taught many of the pros, who praise her work immensely on the instructional DVDs. She's created a lot of buzz for what she does (she was even invited on Conan O'Brien). Here check it out if you're curious: www.melissacross.com I took lessons for several years before I was in my current band, but nothing related to screaming! In fact, I am sure my previous teachers would have frowned upon it. I'm very excited to try this new approach. And how did I spend my day? Slaved all freakin day over what seems to be the most difficult translation project of my life! I've been spending several days over an especially challenging press release; the volume of the work is what I would normally be able to translate in one day! I will do something to reward myself once I get it done. The good news is I called a health information line and spoke to a nurse about the symptoms I've been having and she didn't seem to think it was laryngitis. The symptoms have also somewhat subsided. Still I was a good little girl today and decided to call in sick from band practice.
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

April wrappers

Postby Lynx » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 pm

Goodbye April. Hello May. I'm getting pinched again (third time this year). Good stuff, but little discretionary, daydreamy time that I really need to keep sane and fresh. My client came through on getting me a stay in a hotel for two days in trade for some services I did for them. I got the dates planned out and will call and make the arrangements tomorrow. From here I can't see how it'll all get done I need to do, but somehow I get myself through. Invisible supports and helpers. See you all steppin along in May. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Oh well, I just realized April has indeed ended. I wanted to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed my first month of "stepping". It was great to get to know you people and to find out a bit more about what you're doing. For my part I don't think I really achieved the 150 target, but I did succeed in completing most of the goals I had posted at the beginning of the month: Business/administrative related stuff: - Finish proofreading this dry technical manual I've been procrastinating about for the longest time- DONE! - Get my taxes done- DONE! - Finish working on my business plan and send it to the counsellor from my business launch course- DONE! (well sort of. I realized I didn,t really need to do it in detail and did a more concise version of it). Music-related - Set aside time to work individually on new material for my band- HMMMM...coulda done more of this - Continue to familiarize myself with similar artists (I need to broaden my influences) YES I DID, listened to plenty of new music - Install the software for my home studio on my new laptop and get it working so I can start recording band rehearsals STILL NEEDS TO BE DONE Other - Decide what to do about the guy I've been seeing DONE!!
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sceptique » Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 am

mango Sorry to hear about you mother, but please don't despare! My mother had one 2 years ago and the doctors managed to remove tumor without removing the breast, she had a course of ray therapy and she's been clear since (touch wood). Hope your mother will be ok!
Last edited by sceptique on Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
“My reputation grows with every failure.” George Bernard Shaw
sceptique
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby sceptique » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14 am

I realised that I can't possibly list all my steps since pretty much everything I do nowadays in one way or another is a step to my goals, even if I don't see it as such at first. Do you believe in karma? Or synchronicity? Or that if the door of hope shuts into your face, a window of opportunity opens staight away? This Sunday I had a really lousy day - it suddently dawned on me that all the effort and money I poured into my business might be wasted - the market is just too small and conservative to justify what I've been trying to do, but if I quit now - hello to working out my debt for the next 15 years in some dreaded office job! I just desperately needed a miracle - some kind of spin-off project that can bring in additional resources and expand the market, but I just couldn't see how I can come up with one: I'm already up to my eyebrows in all that "ice skating meets e-learning" stuff to diversify and start something else. By Monday my anxiety grew into a full-blown panic. That's why I didn't quite react to an e-mail in my mailbox from someone who left a comment on my website. We got in touch, exchanged e-mails, but I didn't get a chance to speak with this person on the phone till today, and spent the most of the week chewing my nails in despair and feeling stuck. Well, he turned out to be some small investor planning to build a chain of synthetic ice rinks in... India! Looking for some partners that can help him with planning, project management, skills training.... pretty much all the stuff that I've been doing in the past 18 months after my bizzarre career switch. It's the second time in my life when a thought crossed my mind - "if there is a single person in this world who knows how to do this job - that's probably me" (the first time was then I was recruited by a multinational company to run import operations for a plant construction project in Siberia: there were 2 people I knew who were fit for this job and one just left for another city). I don't know how serious this guy is about his project and if it's going to turn into something real (I need to find out a lot more about him and his business affairs before I make any kind of arrangement), but just the fact that he e-mailed me, on my very darkest day, just when I was about to give up, and gave me a bit of the vision of how the things may develop right when my own idea tank was running on empty - isn't that a miracle?
“My reputation grows with every failure.” George Bernard Shaw
sceptique
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Fri May 02, 2008 9:22 am

sceptique - lovely to hear from you. Yes I do believe in synchronicity. What a fascinating story - Siberia! And now it could be India too. And even if this doesn't go ahead, at least you have been given a starting point to think laterally and there may be many other unusual projects just waiting for you. I hope you join us in the May thread.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories