150 Steps in May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps in May

Postby mango » Thu May 01, 2008 9:15 am

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in May

Postby Ann Marie » Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 am

Yeehaw, here we go!! 1 manage my crush on history prof. (sigh. still. I thought I had finished this completely, but apparently not, he only loves my mind and dammit, I need someone to love my body, too) 2 maintain focus on two university courses 3 eat at home, good yummy food when I can manage it, and regular food when I can’t, but EAT AT HOME 4 walk to places rather than drive, at least one trip per day 5 schedule one day a week for writing letters and mail 2 or 3 6 keep house tidy, better boundaries with roomies 7 study for BCRPA course 8 work on garden at least 20 minutes per day 9 plan money spending 10 post on sherboards every day!! I love this board, I love this topic, I love that people post, I love how it helps me! steps: 1 registered for online course 2 posting 3 while I have reread the email he sent me about 18 times, I haven't written back, and am trying to KEEP SOME PERSPECTIVE. this is so hard! I need to get laid. oh. TMI? 4 I plan on going and spending some money on new spring clothes, and while this isn't really what I meant by "planning spending" it counts for today. May we all make great strides and tiny babysteps towards our goals this month. :D
Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 am

Happy May, everyone! My goal for May is to continue to get my online business up and running, so that I can quit my job and work from home. I hesitate to list specific things that I want to get done toward that goal, as that seems to bring out my rebellious streak. Whatever works!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 01, 2008 9:45 am

Hi everyone, Ann Marie - my, you are are positive and energetic - must be the Spring air. Hi mango - we'll be supporting you to get that home office up and working :D I was very sorry to hear about your mother. Let me give you a big <<<<hug>>> MAY STEPS GOAL No impulse actions Carry on achieving on my 3 seperate threads Find ways to make things easier
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Shiral » Thu May 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Poking my head around the door... Hi everybody, I know I didn't show up in April. Between Taxes and "other stuff" it kind of sucked. I didn't even feel like posting until last week, and since April was almost over, I decided to wait until May to start back up again. (Psychological reasons and feeling too far behind to catch up, etc etc.) On the tax stuff, I had to have three appointments, because documentation I was counting on didn't arrive until 4/9. I had to pay a little, but I expected I would, and wasn't fussed about that. What infuriated me was being left hanging about it. But it's done and they're paid, don't have to worry about it again until next year. I tried to get on the new Librarian I list at the beginning of April to keep my options open and was very much chagrined NOT to have my application accepted. I scraped through last time, but evidently, they've ramped up the requirements this time, as they got some less than stellar applicants last time. Or else I just didn't say the right combination of magic words on my supplementary questionnaire this time. But that, along with the tax worry kinda wrecked the first half of April. I talked to my supervisor and she told me that although she thought I was a valuable employee, she wasn't sure if Library work was the best field for me, and thought my ambivalence about really wanting the job might be showing through in interviews. She feels I'd be better off doing graphic work on the computer, which is a good match for my particular skills. I talked to another librarian friend of mine last night who was on the Oral Board this time around, and it kind of reassured me. She told me that although she's had her degree and has been working as a Librarian for many years now, she felt she would have been way down on the list if she were one of the candidates, now. So that confirms my feeling that the Oral Board Questions are intentionally made very difficult. So I feel a bit better about not doing as well as I wanted last summer. Anyhow Goals for May: 1.Keep working on the novel and try to keep moving FORWARD with my rewrite, rather than jumping backwards to earlier chapters. 2.Keep doing belly-dance exercise routine. 3.Work on finding classes to help meet the requirements for Graphic Designer I job specs. 4.Try to make a breakthrough on my fiction presentation, galloping closer in Early August. Yes, doing another one. "Conflict and Resolution in Fiction" Right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed and stuck and wondering if I should start all over, or if I'm trying to include too much, etc etc. 5.Ride my bicycle whenever possible. Starbaby, Congratulations! I'm amazed at your energy with a small child and a newborn baby to care for. Mannix and Mango, sorry about the marital ups and downs. Mannix, although I can appreciate how trying your in-laws visit must have been, I still laughed pretty hard at your description of it. Mango, good luck getting your business set up! Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu May 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi, everyone, happy May! Mango, thanks for starting the thread this month. And I was so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope there will be some good news for you and for her soon. Melissa, glad you enjoyed the in-law stories. Despite my rants I do love them. But I'm not much on having my territory invaded. :? Here are some ideas of what I want for this month and the immediate future: 1. Continue time-management practice. Realistic, daily planning. Specific, measurable steps. 2. Foundation goal: Organize finances and house. (Eliminate a lot of anxiety on my part.) 3. Foundation goal: Get back to the past! Find all the sources I can for information on northern Virginia/D.C. in the 1950s-1970s. 4. Foundation goal: Make time for roadtrips to small towns. (OBSTACLE: RISING GAS PRICES!) 5. Foundation goal: Complete "Live the Life You Love" series. 6. "Sips": Acting, dancing?, singing?, new music opportunities? (No long-term commitments yet.) 7. Old business: Trip to the Southwest, new pets. (OBSTACLE: I put together an itinerary for Carlsbad, New Mexico, but can't get enthused about going. Resistance??) Next step is to come up with realistic steps to meet these goals. That's for tomorrow. Hope all are well and making progress ... -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Hello again everyone! Glad to be back. My steps for the month of May: Business related: - Make 40+ cold calls - Prepare an application to become a member of the professional translator's organization in my province (it seems I have enough years' experience to qualify!) (also start working on the content of my upcoming website if I have time) Music-related - Start recording band jam sessions and use the recorded material to help me write songs - Start the voice training programs I recently acquired...once this stubborn sore throat subsides - Consider scheduling a lesson with voice teacher specializing in rock/metal screaming - Continue listening to lots of music and developing my influences Other - Create a profile on online dating site and start meeting guys (gulp! this is going to be the hardest one!) - Continue working through "Live the Life you Love" - Start planning my short vacation in June Steps for today: 1. Made 4 cold calls 2. Listened to some new CDs 3. Finally got my recording equipment set up on my computer 4. Did my planning for the month of May 5. Drank lots of water and rested to help get over sore throat. 6. Sat in a coffee shop and worked on my translations and sent out contact info to prospects. Oh yeah and I finally finished that impossible translation I was working on! Just need to proofread and send it off tomorrow. Happy May everyone!
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sceptique » Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 am

Goals for May: - Run at least 3 more test webinars - Create Russian version of the site - Publish and distribute marketing brochure - Come up with at least three new ideas how to generate Word-of-Mouth (idea one - today I discovered squidoo.com - need to assign one of the helpers to create a business page there) - Make substantial progress on one of compulsory skills seminar that we are trying to push through UK skating federation - Record two "on-demand" lectures. - Review the footage for "Basic Skating Skills Part I" DVD and start post-production. - Record and publish a demo of long-distance coaching session (coach from UK works with girl from Emirates) - Make first sale!!
“My reputation grows with every failure.” George Bernard Shaw
sceptique
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Shiral » Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 pm

Got through a week of being on Jury Duty without having to report to the Court House. :D I can deal with that! Although if you do serve on a jury, I think you get a longer exemption before they can call you up, again. Did my belly dance routine yesterday and this morning. Washed a week's accumulation of dishes after breakfast this morning. I've been working 3 nights a week for several weeks now which helps my budget a lot, but.....it's getting OLD. Been working on my novel steadily all week. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi, everyone, Didn't do a lot of formal planning today. I did go to the gym and worked out for an hour, then went for a long walk with my husband. I also practiced the violin for half an hour. Been having some aches in my lower and middle back today. I've been trying to alleviate it by lying on a large exercise ball, or lying on the floor with books under my head, per my Alexander Technique book. My AT teacher said I might start to feel some tension in my back as I become more aware of what's going on in my body. I am getting a sense that I use my legs very stiffly, and he said we are going to start working on that soon. Tomorrow is a gig day, but not until evening. Shiral, lucky you not having to go to court. When I was on jury duty, I ended up on the only case where we had to come back more than 1 day. Yuck. Sceptique, your site looks beautiful! Re generating publicity, could you post a mini-lesson on YouTube? Jane, congratulations on finishing your translation. C'est magnifique! Check back with you all tomorrow, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Ann Marie » Fri May 02, 2008 9:41 pm

5 managing my crush on my prof is hard today. sigh. but i did finally draft a reply to his last email that i was satisfied with, and sent that off. no double entendres or revealing Freudian slips. phew. 6 ate good food, though half and half at home and away 7 bought books for course 8 cleaned room 9 bought a lamp for the living room, let there be LIGHT! 10 went to bcrpa course 11 am posting!
Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat May 03, 2008 5:57 am

Good morning, Anne Marie, good luck with managing that crush. They're a blessing and a curse: sometimes you can channel that energy into wonderful creative projects. But it's so hard to control the blushing and the sweaty palms ... :wink: Good for you for keeping a cool head before you sent the e-mail! Today's steps for me: 1. DO NOT OVERREACT TO MISSING NEWSPAPER. What are we paying these people for if they can't get us the paper in the morning? :evil: Anyway, don't waste time sweating this minor issue. 2. Work some more on the steps I mentioned in the first posting. 3. Get ready for wedding performance tonight at 6 pm. 4. Light workout focusing on stretching and loosening up back. Have a good day, all, Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks for the support re: my mom. I hope to assess where I am in my business plan today.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat May 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Ready for performance ... ran downstairs to get a soda for drive to wedding ... water all over basement again!!! And no time to mop it up! :evil:
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

May I have this Step

Postby Lynx » Sat May 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Hello All, So good to see new people and the return of dear friends. Sceptique, I looked at your web site, great graphics and clear communication of what you offer. Hang tough. Jane B and Ann Marie, I have experienced the male side of your situations. Every step felt so difficult. But I made myself make them. Hormones. Push on. Be gentle with yourselves. Mango, I have not expressed my sympathy for what you're supporting your mom through yet. Apologies. This has raised my own blocks to these types of communications. I freeze, fearing I might say something too cliche or trite. Then time drifts out of reach. I can just say listen to what's the insides say as well as the docs. Support your mom in any changes that claim back her soul, life, personality. We live our lives colonized by parents, disembodies voices of do this, don't do that, etc. There's a different drummer within all of us, dance to its beat. As for me this month, already fairly booked in for work, and more likely. Yes! The idea I had to begin submitting proposals about a month before my prior big gig ended shows results. This week: 1. meet with client about annual report. 2. teeth cleaned (all I'm going to say on that) 3. finish a newsletter for a client 4 get proposal in by the 8th for "perfect enough" gig (re-request as they did not get what they wanted the first time, whew, still in the running). 5 draft new methods section for goal 4 5a work with assistant to get this polished and ready 6 make two sets of print outs, one marked original, other "copy" 7. make 4 copies of "copy" 8. complete interviews for consensus process client (five left) 9 compose booklet for consensus client 10 ace interview for second consensus client 11 get to support team on monday 12 get to support mens group on friday for personal 13 freecycle boom box (already offered and have my first response) 14 freecycle blue original Outdoor Products travel pack 15 freecycle kaleidascope cinch bag 16 after receipt of patagonia lightweight tote (steal @ $40), freecycle several back packs 17 if I like patagonia, get messenger style off ebay 18 one section of my book on power 19 one added page on web page 20 practice autogenic training twice daily lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories