150 Steps in May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in May

Post by dani »

Greetings all, Finally got my post done on nonfictions, and now I'm all worn out! :roll: Congratulations to all of you who are making so much progress. :D Tomorrow is slated for learning Expression while working on my ancestry website. Maybe I can break that down into chunks. G'nite...zzz

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone! Hope you are all having a happy Mother's Day. Hpy2bme, I hope your good ol' doggie is doing okay. I think Mango's idea of getting a muzzle is a very good one. My parents had a dalmatian whose temprament became very erratic when she got older. One minute she'd be happy to see you, the next she'd be growling/snarling. I think it had to do with pain she was experiencing in her hips and feeling vulnerable because she couldn't move well. Hopefully, Buster is not behaving this way but a muzzle might be a good safety precaution. At any rate, I wish Buster the best health, and you, too! Today I played fiddle for about half an hour at the horse rescue organization's open house. Just in time for mother's day, they have 2 new Thoroughbred foals! They, of course, were the stars of the day. Came home and didn't feel like doing anything else. Haven't had a full day off in awhile so I'm giving myself permission to goof off a bit. As a result, not many additional accomplishments to add to the list this week. Will start fresh with a new one tomorrow. -- Mannix

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Going back to work tomorrow, and having panic attacks about it. Must (must, must) plan exit strategy, choose quitting date, finish financials part of business plan.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Oh, Mango, good luck. I'll be thinking about you! Take lots of deep breaths and one minute at a time ...

starbaby
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by starbaby »

Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas on the board :D Mango --- Dave Ramsey's book is helpful, but I agree, the Biblical references are a bit much some times. 14. Went to physical therapy. 15. Laundry, dishes, etc. 16. Texted all my friends with kids for Mother's Day. 17. Watched both "Tell Me You Love Me" dvds... and sent them back to Netflix. 18. Began reading "How to Grow as a Photographer" 19. Picked up all drycleaning from organic cleaners (who are now going out of business) 20. Contacted college student about being a babysitter/studio manager for me. 21. Returned clothes to The Children's Place, and bought some that I liked for my 2 year old.

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Posting my goal here forced me to work on learning Expression, and edited the index page for my ancestry site. What a cool program! I'm so disgusted with myself for wasting so much time on Dreamweaver. Also worked on getting goals set up in Outlook. Today was such a gorgeous day and I walked along the trail behind my building but which you have to go two blocks in either direction to get on. :bash: Anyhow, I ran into an acquaintance and had a nice chat part of the way. On the return route, I corralled a dude on a 3 wheel recumbent, the adult trike I've been wanting for ages. Anyhow, he had all kinds of useful info, like which dealers are good or not; the perils of aluminum frames; and a bike club that rides from a shop to the trail in up to -10 degrees! The trails are always clear, and I imagine you keep warm the way you do in Nordic skiing. Interesting guy--has one arm in a sling, apparently permanently, and a virtual collection of recumbent trikes. Have to really admire someone like that. So, I came home and called the bike shop mentioned and they do have what I want in stock. I'll have the scratch in June, but this model is being discontinued, so I'm on an anxiety trip to get one reserved. Off to bed so I can get up early enough to try and move up my Trike goal.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The Next Step

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Starbaby, hope you found some time for yourself on Mother's Day! Dani, sounds like you had some good fortune running into the guy with the trike. I hope you can get your trike soon. I was really tired from this past weekend, and my husband and I both slept in this morning. Haven't set out my goals for the week yet, but I need to incorporate some follow-through on important goals. For example, now that the bills are paid, I need to make time to either balance our accounts, or shred/file papers. These tasks don't seem as urgent as paying the bills on time, but they are if I'm ever going to make progress organizing my life! Also need to get back on the food-plan wagon. I'm planning to work out at home this morning. I was so hungry over most of the weekend, I ate everything in sight! Fortunately, I don't think I did too much damage as I don't feel heavy or sluggish. And I was pretty active. Having thoughts about giving up the gig life, although probably won't act on them yet. Each year I seem to enjoy it a little less. Next Friday, I'm supposed to run a wedding ceremony with a flute trio. The cellist for this job is chronically late. My friend, who hired her, knows this person has a problem getting to jobs on time. If she is late, I will be the one who has to hear about it. And there are the constant battles about having us play outside when a storm is imminent. Sigh. These issues have always been around but they're bothering me more this year. Anyway .... on to getting things done! -- Mannix

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

I'm writing my goals again today, rewording them to re-energize them a bit. 1 Eat at home. 2 Leave the car at home whenever possible. 3 Manage history prof crush 4 Study hours per day on courses 5 Work in garden 20 minutes a day, sleeping doesn't count! 6 Write one letter to a grandparent each week. 7 Keep my stuff tidy, and be responsible for my part of housework. 8 STOP BRINGING STUFF HOME. other than food, and even there, I could probably live a whole month of what I have stockpiled. Stop bringing home the newspaper, magazines, stuff from the thrift, games, toys for the nieces, posters for events, books from the library, cd's from the library, movies from the library, coffee cups, bouncy balls, blah blah blah. STOP BRINGING STUFF HOME. 9 Get everything planned for trip to Portland in beginning of June. 10 Post every day!!!! 11 Take time to use daytimer and scheduling process. 59 Made muffins and breakfast. 60 Rode my bike to cafe to study. 61 Remembered to post today. 62 Got the kids to pick dandelion heads so they can't go to seed. 63 Did all the dishes before leaving the house this morning. 64 Emailed my friend that I will be able to go to Portland. 65 Got childcare arranged for the days I'll be gone so the kid doesn't miss any school. 66 Have been doing some really fine personal work around the history prof, and the crush issue has shifted into something deeper for me, helping me to realize some of the personal issues I'll need to deal with before I'm ready for the dating scene. I haven't been this interested in anyone since my divorce, so it's triggering lots of first time stuff for me as someone re-entering that world. All that is my loooong way of saying INSECURITIES ARE ON THE RISE and I've got to get my head around it. 67 Tidied up the house last night while talking to my good friend re: my crush issues. 68 Had a shower and did my hair this morning, rather than just putting on a hat. 69 Got my binder for school organized. 70 Studied one chapter on Sunday, and part of a reading. By Tuesday morning, 9am, I need to read another chapter and do two more related readings. 71 Got my topic for research paper, but I may already have posted that. Oh well, I'm posting it again. 72 Cleaned off my desk for study space. 73 Worked on the weekend and got paid. Hey starbaby, was "Tell me you love me" a good movie? I hope the wind blows along your cheek Mango and brings you peace today. And good thoughts for your dog, Hpy2bme!

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

Thanks for all the well wishes regarding Buster. He's fine now that he's had his allergy shot. He acts perfectly fine most of the time, the cancer isn't something that has affected him that much yet and the arthritis, well, he moves a little slow just like I do sometimes. It can be a bit difficult getting a big butt up and down when your hips hurt, (his big butt, not mine...lol). Mango, I couldn't drag him to the car, he's not sick so that he can't walk. The minute I tried to pull him on something like that he would jump off. I doubt that he would actually step on one, he tends to walk around things instead of over them. Mango & Mannix, you are both right - it's time I invested in a muzzle for him. We actually get along very well so there hasn't ever been a need for one. He's pretty good about warning me that I'm hurting him although he has startled me a couple of times, he's never actually bit me. Although I think he would have tore that vet up if he could have, (poor baby). His main thing is that he's older, tired, probably a bit sore although I don't think he's in real pain, and just plain doesn't want to be messed with. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but he was in a shelter for five years, he was already 9 when I got him. He's turned out to be wonderful. It's a shame that no one ever saw his potential before. I could see it in his eyes the first time I saw him. We walk every night though and he's eager to go out although he's slowing down for the most part. But if he gets excited, it's me that's having a tough time keeping up. He's also got one heck of a healthy appatite which the vet told me is a very good sign. I'm just going to get a groomer to come to me instead of having to put him in the car again for that. I did try and give him step up into the car, but the surface of it was too slippery for him and he didn't like stepping on it. It was one of those wide steps that you use for step aerobics, about half the height up into the car and very wide. A ramp would probably be better. I'll have to check out what they have at the pet store. I even thought about making one as well. Anyway, thanks for all the good wishes for Buster. He's feeling much better because the scratching and licking has almost completely stopped. He just had to go to the vet for an allergy shot. Mannix, the whole no tv is an adjustment - (I've watched almost my entire library of DVD's, but that's only two sets of one season each of a series and both of those sets were gifts to me, I've never been into buying them.) I honestly don't watch much YouTube, although I have looked at a few full episodes of regular tv shows online. That was kind of fun watching stuff that I barely remembered ever having seen from when I was a kid. I haven't done it much, not the same watching from my little laptop screen compared to my nice big tv. Now - did I do anything I can add...let me think.... 25. Paid some bills - (they moved the timing up on a couple of my statements making me late...darn them, my fault for not staying on top of it though. Oh well) 26. Met with a couple this morning - networking. They gave me some great advice about a number of things, including actual contact names and to use their names as an introduction. 27. Had a long, long talk with my business partner about a number of things. After talking to him, I feel more motivated to go forward. He does need to begin to help though, so far his participation has been limited to financial. I've paid in as much as he has so he needs to start stepping up. 28. Had an offer to be sponsored for the downpayment to get certified as a teacher, downpayment is $395 and total cost is approximately $4,000, the majority is paid once you are working. I plan on checking this out, but I'm going to check on the leads that I was given in #26 first because that is for adjunct teaching at the college level. I'm a bit torn on this one because if I did teach full time through the public schools, I could get insurance which I really need. Decisions, decisions. 29. Called the insurance company for a new quote. They told me before that the company I have now is not very good here in Texas (it was great in California, but not the same here). They thought they could do much better for me. 30. Been wrapping my foot off and on and definitely stretching it (pointing and flexing) whenever I think of it. It has helped and I don't have nearly the pain that I was having. I can still feel how tight that muscle?tendon? is though so it might be a while before this goes away. 31. Been answering questions on MarkteingProfs.com to score points. i figured that this might help as a reference some day. It's fun too as it gets my creative juices flowing. 32. Moved some of the piles of files from the living room to the office....lol - it counts. At least now they are in the same room as the file cabinet. I plan on getting some filing done today. 33. Working on new resume using the suggestions that my friends gave me. One of my problems with my resume is that I have been job hopping (a lot by any standards) since I moved to San Antonio. My friends suggested that I take my four years of experience as an adjunct and move it to the top of the list of employers. Even though I haven't actually ever taught all year, (far from it), it gives my resume more of a sense of long term because I now have four years of teaching experience. That was a wonderful idea, so that's what I am doing. 34. Ate at home at least all week - can't remember the last time I ate out. Although there is a network function tomorrow that is at lunchtime so that may blow that one. That's all I can think of for the moment. Mango - what part of your business plan are you stuck on? I am stuck with the marketing concepts about listing exactly who my customer is, but if your issue is the financials, have you tried looking at the SCORE website for help? They have free templates where you just follow the questions. http://www.score.org/business_toolbox.html In fact, I may have to recheck that myself.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, I hope you had a good weekend. The gig with my band on Saturday went really well, good turnout, good performance, good sound, etc. Mannix, was your "impossible to get to" gig the one with the horses? Sounds like an interesting place to play. Hope it went well. I've been a bit more inconsistent with the boards these days but it's only because things are going really well. My translation business is really prospering and I have more shows lined up with the reggae band this weekend, so I'm also busy with rehearsals. In the midst of it all, I managed to find time to call the cute guy from the bus this evening and schedule a date with him tomorrow night :) Exercising has been the give, though. Before the past couple of weeks I was going to the gym or jogging at least twice a week, and I haven't done anything since this rush. I'm hoping to pick it up as of next week. Hope everyone is doing well and I will catch up with all of your posts when I get a bit more time. Cheers, Jane

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

You know what I love about this thread? YOU decide what's a step towards your goal, YOU are the one who knows. I love that! 74 Ate at home :) 75 Actively managing crush 76 Studied for tomorrow's class 77 Worked in garden and it was lovely. The cherry tree rained down petals on me while I dug in the dirt. 78 Got the kid to help me clean up the house. 79 Didn't bring home anything from the library. Did bring home one thing for the kid and me. 80 Rode the bike downtown to study.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone. I'll try not to be too negative, but it's 7:30 am and I feel like giving up already. Husband just cut his finger on something in the dishwasher. He started yelling obscenities and picked up the silverware container and slammed it down. Big, clattering noise. Nothing broken. He apologized and said he wasn't mad at me, and pointed out I would have been just as upset if I'd cut my finger. Gigs for this week getting more complicated. Times for one of them keep changing. I need to find time to practice the unusual music. My gig friend wants me to come by her house later this morning to hear one of the tunes. I have errands I need to do, so I guess those will have to be postponed. Visits to her house are never short. Steps for today: Get back to counting calories, and making smarter choices about what and how much I eat! Alexander lesson. Practice the viola, learn parts. Schedule 2 activities from the county parks and recreation catalog. Try to keep going despite bad mood. Teach 3 violin/viola lessons. Call another violin student who seems to be discouraged. Try to find out what's going on. Hope everyone else is having a better morning, -- Mannix

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Hi everyone- I hope no one will be offended by the following sentence, but I've been off this board for a while because I was discouraged by the fact that my postings weren't getting any response- it was a little unbalancing.... However- I have a new overriding goal and really want to move ahead with it, so will be posting here for accountability. I'd love any feedback others can give me as I barge my way through the jungle.... The new goal is really 2 pronged- 1) Find a new job that I can be really passionate about. I'm in a good spot- I don't need the job because I already have one, though it's not what I want. So I can afford to be picky and follow the rule "Only do it if you love it..." 2) I want to be a photojournalist. Although I've had a fair number of photos published with my freelance articles, I want to get assignments to do pix and picture driven articles. I'm learning all I can about the craft- and particularly candid shooting, and am signing up for online courses. Don't have money for hugely expensive equipment, but am slowly building up a basic arsenal... So today I: 1) Signed up for a mediabistro membership and have downloaded a course on photojournalism. 2) Contacted the publisher and editor at my usual gig and offered to do photos for other writers who may not have cameras and asked if they would remember me if anyone they knew needed pix and asked for a shooter. 3) Came to you guys to ask for support... I have a good feeling about this. In the meantime I continue to work on the book and fitness goals.

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

Tapit, That's an awesome goal and I'm sure that you are well on your way to achieving it. Have you looked into all the places where you can sell photos online? The more you get your name out there, the faster you can build a following. How about checking with local publishers, including your local newspapers, to see if they accept freelance photography. If you could get your pictures published in print somewhere, that would go a long way to building your portfolio.

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Hey Hpy- Thanks for the suggestions. I actually hadn't contacted local papers, but will try to put a pitch together for at least the island paper. Oddly enough, it's harder for me to approach someone local than someone national... Just got word back from the usual gig that they're floundering financially right now, but they want to talk about possibilities. Yay! I'm really interested in your resume experience, too. Haven't reworked mine in years and need to get going. Are you using any particular software or website to help you? Tap