150 Steps in May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in May

Post by Mannix »

tapit wrote: I hope no one will be offended by the following sentence, but I've been off this board for a while because I was discouraged by the fact that my postings weren't getting any response- it was a little unbalancing....
Hi, Tapit, Sorry you felt this way. Thanks for the reminder that we need to support others' projects, as well as tell our own stories and kvetch about our ills. I'll try to do better. :) -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Swamp Stomping Steps

Post by Lynx »

Hey all, I've been absent. I know. Two crunching deadlines one on Monday and another for tomorrow. I'm ready for that. Then a two day trip out of town for a gig. Anyway, I'm back for a few days at least. Tapit: So today I: 1) Signed up for a mediabistro membership and have downloaded a course on photojournalism. 2) Contacted the publisher and editor at my usual gig and offered to do photos for other writers who may not have cameras and asked if they would remember me if anyone they knew needed pix and asked for a shooter. 3) Came to you guys to ask for support... I have a good feeling about this. Tapit, I will definitely crank up my support. Thanks for the reminder to attend. You have so much happening it will be fun to cheer you along. About the job search, check out Indeed.com. They use google search engine to collect just the jobs that fit the criteria you enter, down to how far away from your zip code. About resumes, I have about two dozen, each one custom created for a specific opportunity. The first few were time consuming, but after I had a collection of quick examples composing later ones got a lot easier. About photojournalism, would a police scanner get you to the action? L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by mango »

Having some luck with the business plan, finally. I decided to skip the other parts and go straight to the financials. I read some parts of the business plan book, took some notes, worked on my financial spreadsheet, and made a list of next steps. I also gave myself a target date of August 29th to quit my job. Not sure if that is at all reasonable, but sometimes you just need a goal, even if it has to be changed later. :)
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Hey One and all- I can't tell you how much it means that you've helped me out with this goal! I was really hesitant to write the first sentence because it sounded like I was whining too much, but the thread has been such a kick in the pants- I think it's what's gonna get me through this this time and make it to my dream... (who knows- maybe I'll even end up in Paris like I want to?) Thanks so much for your understanding. Lynx- I'd never heard of indeed.com, but I'm pretty hooked on it already. I have two jobs i'm interested in- need to check them out more. One would be a dream position in Boston (I could drive up twice a week if I got it.). Not sure I have enough of the qualifications, but am willing to try. They're the ones that have to rule me out- not me! Time to crank up the resume... Thanks for the tip! Mannix- re: the food thing- I'm shakily beginning a food plan that really seems to be helping. perhaps it would work for you, too. 1) Eat only fruits and veggies as snacks- whenever you want to. (I like canned lima beans, which may be a bit on the dicey side, but always keep grapes and melon and oragnes and sliced apples around along with tomatoes...) 2) Make out the food plan for the day every AM. Not detailed, just know what I'm going to eat for snacks and each meal. leaving stuff to chance is sure disaster for me. Mango- I envy you your "quit by" date. I checked out your website, too, and may get the quickstart accounting program once I get going on the freelancing biz... Re: the website- if you go to a web hosting site, you can often get your domain name for a one-time fee and no monthly payments. And it will just have your name in it.... Again, thanks for all your help everyone...

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

81 ate dinner at home, though we were close and hungry for take out, and the kid begged and she could see me thinking about it, but i said no and we went home and cooked noodle soup. another close call. 82 cancelled home delivery of groceries to encourage me to be more active in deciding what to cook 83 talked to supportive friends re: the guy who used to be my history prof, and is now just a guy, i guess. 84 went to class super prepared 85 rained all day in garden, so i didn't have to do the watering or anything :) 86 typed up a letter that i can use for both grandparents with some personalizing. wrote a letter to my friend. 87 was a good girl and did my dishes all day 88 did a 10 minute whiz-bang tidy with the kid then played dominos 89 didn't bring anything home 90 cleaned out car 91 am posting 92 started researching what i need to have for travel documents for trip to portland 93 wrote tomorrow's appointments in daytimer

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Greetings all, Mango, I'm so glad you've finally gotten your goals in sight and are succeeding in getting the nitty-gritty done! It sure can't be any fun. :roll: Tapit, your skills are amazing and I'm so glad you're making progress! I'm also glad you set us straight about the purpose of this forum. :wink: Lynx, your resume collection is amazing--and I thought I had enough to paper my walls! :jawdrop: I'm just wondering if you feel free to use cover letters to address specific jobs? When I've been looking, I had two or three different resumes, depending upon sector, and used the cover letter to describe my qualifications, referring to them on the actual resume. I'm only asking because I know there's some outdated and useless advice around about writing a new resume for each job you're applying for. In fact, one author even specified following up an online resume submission with a hard copy. :shock: Mannix, you're such a dear--I know you've included me a lot, so it's the rest of us that need to work on Tapit's suggestion. It also sounds like hubby is showing more sensitivity lately, which is a relief. OK, I have to put Expression and Outlook aside for about a week as I have a hopefully rejuvenating conference for me coming up Saturday. Next week already, I have an intensive three day training seminar for teaching online. In the latter case, I've done the following:
    Reviewed the text we will be using, following suggestions from a poster on another board here. Worked on my folder of materials from an earlier conference, separating the stuff I don't need from the rest.
My goals in the coming week will now be to
    Study the book intensively. Do a thorough reading of the conference materials
Otherwise, I've been doing exercises for my foot with Posterior Tibialis Tendinitis. I only had one therapy session and noticed a big improvement in my Sunday hike. I also am making sure I keep as active as possible at home, something I do anyway, but I'm sure you read the same info about that activity that I did. Went to my user group meeting today to show off my new laptop. :mrgreen: Best, dani :)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hello, friends...

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, Jane, I forgot to answer your question about the gigs last week. Actually there were 2 - one that was hard to get to, and one with horses. It was fun to go out to the horse gig because they had 2 brand new foals on view with their proud mamas. (Both Thoroughbreds who had been rescued from neglect situations.) I only played about half an hour because everything was outside and it started raining. That actually worked out for the best because it kept me from straining my shoulder. Mango, congratulations on setting your quit date! I hope you feel better now that you have some light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile, are you surviving your days at the office? Hope you haven't had any more panic attacks. Hi, Lynx, glad to see you back. Tapit, thanks for the tips on the food plan. I definitely need to "up" the fruits and veggies in my diet. My problem is I get hungry very quickly when that's all I snack on. I have used dried fruit as a snack. It seems to fill me up longer and the calorie level isn't too far off the fresh fruit. Planning the diet ahead of time is a great idea, too. It's so easy to run to McDonald's when you're starving and nothing's been prepared for dinner! And I liked your comment about getting past the "whining" stage in your goalwork journey. I feel like that's the stage I'm in now! Ann Marie, good work on managing that crush! Great insights on what it could mean, too. Sounds like, for you, it may be time to start looking for a new guy? :) Dani, good luck with that foot. And congratulations on staying active! It's so hard to do with tendinitis or arthritis. Hpy2bme, how is Buster doing? How is the TV-free life? Shiral, I think you wrote about meeting friends regularly at the coffee house for Nanowrimo. What a great goal! I think I need to set up something like that for myself. Hope I haven't missed anyone. I'll talk about my situation in a fresh post. -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

And now, about me ...

Post by Mannix »

Hello, again. After reading about everyone's many accomplishments, I feel a bit like the resident goat. I haven't worked on my goals in several days! I've been very distracted lately. It's been hard to focus on anything I read, and I seem to miss the point in conversations. I'm also very frustrated with my gig situation for this weekend, which I've already talked some about. For the second gig, I've been asked to play the viola, a bigger, heavier instrument. I can only play it for a few minutes at a time before my shoulder starts to hurt. On Saturday, I'll have to play for 30 minutes straight, then for some time during the wedding ceremony. This is not to mention the 8 volumes of music I'll need to bring for everyone performing that day, since I am the gig manager. I also don't like going to a gig knowing I won't be able to give it 100%, since I can't practice long enough to learn all the parts to the pieces the bride has requested. I feel a little used. The person who hired me didn't tell me it was for viola until last week, and she knows about my shoulder situation. I've been doing gigs for her for a long time, and it seems like that doesn't mean much. This kind of stuff makes me want to give it up. Anyway, I think I'll take a mental health day today. Gas prices are so high these days, but I really feel like I need to get away. (Need to be back to teach 2 lessons.) Maybe a change of scenery will help clear up my thinking. Happy Wednesday, everybody, -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

More on Resumes

Post by Lynx »

Dani: Lynx, your resume collection is amazing--and I thought I had enough to paper my walls! :jawdrop: I'm just wondering if you feel free to use cover letters to address specific jobs? When I've been looking, I had two or three different resumes, depending upon sector, and used the cover letter to describe my qualifications, referring to them on the actual resume. I'm only asking because I know there's some outdated and useless advice around about writing a new resume for each job you're applying for. In fact, one author even specified following up an online resume submission with a hard copy. :shock: My basic resume format is two pages: the first is all narrative and the second the list of employers, degrees, community activities etc. The second page rarely gets changed. I might take out one or two clients and add in other ones. The first page has my objective written with words and expression the prospective clients used to describe what they seek. Sometimes I add a strengths section and list a bucket-full of skills (for me, things like Open Space Technology facilitator, facilitation, mediation, coaching, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), etc.) Then I have a qualifications section. In italics I put something the client seeks: say curriculum design Underneath I put two bullets with examples in the Problem-Action-Result format. I start with the most critical or unique skills I offer and continue until I run out of ideas or space. Two gig might be just slightly different, but if I can, I'll custom make a resume for each. Most times its a question of my time and complexity of making the changes. Now with so many PAR stories composed, a new resume becomes a practice in cut and paste. I might have to reword the italicized heading to make it fit the client's language. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: More on Resumes

Post by dani »

Lynx wrote:Dani: Lynx, your resume collection is amazing--and I thought I had enough to paper my walls! :jawdrop: I'm just wondering if you feel free to use cover letters to address specific jobs? When I've been looking, I had two or three different resumes, depending upon sector, and used the cover letter to describe my qualifications, referring to them on the actual resume. I'm only asking because I know there's some outdated and useless advice around about writing a new resume for each job you're applying for. In fact, one author even specified following up an online resume submission with a hard copy. :shock: My basic resume format is two pages: the first is all narrative and the second the list of employers, degrees, community activities etc. The second page rarely gets changed. I might take out one or two clients and add in other ones. The first page has my objective written with words and expression the prospective clients used to describe what they seek. Sometimes I add a strengths section and list a bucket-full of skills (for me, things like Open Space Technology facilitator, facilitation, mediation, coaching, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), etc.) Then I have a qualifications section. In italics I put something the client seeks: say curriculum design Underneath I put two bullets with examples in the Problem-Action-Result format. I start with the most critical or unique skills I offer and continue until I run out of ideas or space. Two gig might be just slightly different, but if I can, I'll custom make a resume for each. Most times its a question of my time and complexity of making the changes. Now with so many PAR stories composed, a new resume becomes a practice in cut and paste. I might have to reword the italicized heading to make it fit the client's language. L
You're a first rate whiz...and thank god for computers! :D

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

sat down to post my steps, but in looking at my goals it seems like all i managed today was backsliding. wednesday and thursday are days i can't get anything else done, other than classes, teaching nia, and taking care of the kid. i need to NOT beat my head against the wall on that one. so give it up. my big step for today: 94 i cleaned the bathtub i'll check back in with you guys on friday. i sure enjoy reading the posts, even if i don't manage to reply to each person individually every day.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Flow?

Post by Lynx »

LavaFlowing Steps Got up and had a pile of stuff to do to get out of town successfully tomorrow. It's a difficult situation but direct hit to my core purpose right now: host healing conversations. I'm the video camera checker in my condo, it wasn't working, so I took it apart and brought it upstairs to my unit and tried everything. It all worked. Took it back and it didn't work. Finally, about ready to give up, I noticed a plug dangling. One of those widgets where it's hard to tell if it's on. Plugged in and all worked right. I'm sure it was plugged in before I took all apart. Anyway ... gave my day a huge boost. Today, getting hair cut, packing, making copies, reserving a car to rent, etc. Next week I'm taking a vacation for the whole week. First in ... a long time. See you Friday or Saturday.

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Wow- Lynx, et al. I'm learning a lot about resumes from your discussions. I was also interested in the camera checking job you do. Do you do the tech stuff for the cameras themselves (and congrats on that fix!), or do you archive the tapes as well? Sounds like it could be interesting. Anne Marie- you're wise to know what days are the ones to you need to focus elsewhere and flow with that. Sometimes I think we push ourselves so hard, we forget to notice the natural flow of things. I continue with the new goal. 1) Joined the Newport Photographers guild and may be shooting to show in their show at the end of June. 2) Downloaded a camera guide from a site one of the guys at work told me about. It's by an experienced photog who has some swell tips for everyone- and it's free. 3) Shot more pictures for my "Still life with Mask" series. In the meantime, I finished the next book chapter and decided to take off a week or two to rework a short play that the theater expressed an interest in producing. Am about half way through. Of course something had to give with all of this activity, and that, I'm afraid, was the fitness thing... Best best.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, For yesterday's mental health break, I allowed myself a morning nap, then drove out to the small town of Marshall, Virginia for lunch. I almost didn't go because there's always so much to do, but something inside me said, "If you're taking a mental health break, really make it a break!" So I took my scenic, country drive. Something about me must have been open to meeting people, because the lady at the sandwich place engaged me in a conversation. Then I went over to the town library (just to go somewhere new) and got into a short conversation with the librarian. This may not seem like much, but people almost never talk to me (usually because I'm skulking around avoiding eye contact). So it was a big triumph and really validated my decision about taking the drive! Today feeling more productive, although still a bit worked up about the weekend's gigs. My shoulder seems to be holding up pretty well. Maybe it's stronger than I've been assuming. This morning I was working on one of my teleconference goals - to sign up for a class in either acting, dancing, or singing. I found the perfect opportunity: country-western line dancing offered through the county adult education program. I wouldn't even need a partner! Obstacle: the classes are scheduled through the time I was planning to go to the beach. So I'd have to miss at least one class. Options: A. Sign up for the class, leave for the beach 1 day later and come home 1 day earlier. B. Find out when the next session will be offered. C. Sign up for the class and go to the beach as planned. Just attend the classes when I'll be home. Not sure which to do yet. Sigh. There are other classes/tours I'd also like to take, but everything I want to take is offered on the same day at the same time. :( Hope things are going well for everyone else! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Resumes II

Post by Lynx »

Tapit: Wow- Lynx, et al. I'm learning a lot about resumes from your discussions. I was also interested in the camera checking job you do. Do you do the tech stuff for the cameras themselves (and congrats on that fix!), or do you archive the tapes as well? Sounds like it could be interesting. I'm just an owner that insisted we install it so now I keep an eye on things. We have a recorder that takes a snap shot every so many seconds. It can put 40 days (960 hours) worth on a standard cassette. it then rewinds and starts over the same cassette. The manufacture only recommends doing that twice as it stresses the tape. So every 80 days I go replace the tape and check to see that it's recording properly. It's a X10 wireless camera and receiver. We don't archive them. We figure if no one said something was stolen, broke or missing for 40 days it probably wasn't that big a deal. It was interesting to find out what it took to make this thing work in the first place. We had a consultant and so paid his fee. He told us what to get or approved stuff I located. I got the monitor at a pawn shop, but the RCA connectors didn't work right so had to get a thingy called RF modulator from Radio Shack in order to use a coaxial cable to run the signal from the VCR to the TV monitor. The tiny wireless camera is really amazing and the signal is pretty strong. L