150 Steps in May

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps in May

Post by Hpy2bme »

Hi everyone, It's mid-month and I've got a lot of catching up to do. Geesh. For everyone who has continued to ask about Buster - he's doing fine. He's sleeping right now - snoring away. I think he may have actually lost a pound or so because I've been trying to cut back on his treats. Poor baby - he acts like he's starving all the time - but he's not. Anyway - I finally figured out how to do an avatar and so now you can see his cute face although that's not his best picture. 35. Put Avatar on board. :D 36. Worked on creating new business cards. Haven't ordered them yet because still trying to decide what to do to make them stand out. I need something for the back of the card. 37. Read two books (procrastination is taking hold here - it's been forever since I sat and read two books straight through, however, they weren't business books) :bash: 38. Had a lead on a possible job - but it's through someone else and he didn't talk to them today. Have my fingers crossed on this one. I do billing for a government contractor through WAWF and I'd like to get some more of that going on. 39. Still haven't turned the tv on yet - every couple of days I watch one of my series DVD's. I actually haven't made it through the set yet although there aren't very many. 40. Resisted the urge to strangle my sister. She usually goes at least a month without contacting me. Now she's calling every other day. I don't need or appreciate the nagging. It doesn't help. 41. Updated my MySpace page and relocated my poor abandoned blogs. Time to spruce them up and start using them. 42. Updated information to be put on my main website - sent it to webmaster and waiting for it to get updated 43. Changed my car insurance and saved about $250 a year. 44. Went to my drs appointment, where he again reminded me that I need a real job with extremely good insurance because one day I'll need it. Good news is that I'm doing great although he ignored my statement about being tired all the time and probable menopausel - but he is RA doctor. I guess there's nothing that can be done for being tired. One reason I need to lose weight. Good news is that I was able to stop the predisone (which I did already) and he seemed ok with it. I have it in case I start to flare again. 45. I had a funny compliment - I sent my friend an article I found about converting car to one that uses both hydrogen (through distilled water) and gas. It's supposed to improve milage by at least 50%. Anyway, he has a friend that he was going to ask if they could experiment on his junk car. His compliment to me was that I know more about cars than his friend does...lol. But if they try it and it works, I'm going to do it and I'll let you all know about it. 46. Exercised my foot - it seems to really be helping although it is still sore when I first step down on it, not excruciating though - big difference. And I know someone asked me about what I was using for resumes, I apologize for not catching the names this time but I can't seem to see the original posts. I'm not using any special software or anything. I've done them so many times, I just change the ones I have around to suit the job. I saw that Lynx actually provided a lot of wonderful advice so I won't repeat it. I can offer some advice regarding the cover sheet. I paid a lot of money for a career counselor (who didn't actually help me) but I did get this much out of it. When you write your cover sheet, have a beginning sentence or two where you address your interest in the position and where you saw it advertised. Then using a table or column format - list exactly what the person is looking for using their language (although abbreviate as necessary) and on the other side list using the same language exactly how your qualifications (skill sets) match what they are looking for. Example - Here's a posting from Craigslist Exec Secretary/Receptionist - Growing company looking for highly motivated candidate. Excelent communication skills are mandatory. Other desired skills, ability to manage phone systems & microsoft word and excel. You will be making appointments and maintaining schedules. (Misspelled words are not mine, I cut and pasted – these people really do need some help.) In the body of my cover letter, I would respond like this: Position Requirements My Qualifications Excellent communications skills Superior writing, speaking and presentation skills. Effective communicator with all staff levels and both internal and external contacts. Microsoft Word & Excel Excellent advanced computer skills, working in Microsoft Suite in addition to Ventura Desktop Publishing, Adobe Acrobat and in-house specialized software. Manage phone systems Experience working with multiple phone systems, including managing and answering a 100-line receptionist phone. Making appointments & maintaining schedules Routinely managed busy calendars for multiple staff members, including coordinating large meetings for internal and external attendees. Then the final paragraph includes a statement that says something to the effect that it is clear that the qualifications are an excellent match for the position requirements. It really grabs their attention because you are duplicating the words straight from their advertisment. You can use this same format after an interview as well. It always comes out that whatever HR posted, the actual person interviewing often has a different perspective on what the job duties include. Using the information gleaned from the interview, write a note to the person who interviewed you and this time use the stated job requirements according to what they told you. This is especially strong if HR completely flubbed the job description in the advertisement.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Hpy, thanks for the picture of Buster! What is his breed (or breeds :) )? Congratulations on cutting so much TV out of your life! I've been known to run through a whole season of my favorite series on DVD -- in one or 2 days! You're an inspiration! As a matter of fact, just now I went over and shut off my TV. Right now I feel like any work I do leads to an obstacle. Still grappling with the vacation-versus-dancing-class decision, my weight has plateaued at 5 pounds over my goal despite working out and being good with the diet, and I haven't made any progress on Southwest vacation trip or reading regularly. Somehow it feels like no matter what I do, things will stay just as they are. :( But I'm playing a gig tonight, which will force me to structure the day around that, and get work done in a certain amount of time. That doesn't sound like an appealing concept right now, but maybe it will help keep me from falling into a resistance state. Have a good day, everyone, -- Mannix

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

Mannix, Buster is an Australian Shepard mixed breed. One vet said that they thought he was mixed with Heeler because of the markings on his legs, however, I've seen a picture of a dog that was an Australian Shepard/Husky mix that had the same shaped head as Buster. His nose is much shorter than a pure bred Aussie's is. He's also very wide across the back and hips. In fact, he almost doesn't fit through the dog door, I got the large size, but they don't vary much in width...lol. It's not weight either, his stomach doesn't hang down, although he is a bit rounder at the moment then he should be. You have mentioned the trip to the Southwest several times, is this something that you have to do? You don't really seem to want to do it. Is it the location? Can you change the location to some other place? Also on the vacation-versus-dancing class decision, have you tried sitting down and writing out some pros and cons? Seems to me on the dance class, if you miss one class, it's probably not that big a deal cost wise and if you enjoy it, you can repeat the class at another time or if you go, it might be that you find that you don't really care for that style of dancing and decide to take up some other form like belly dancing or clogging. As far as plateauing at five pounds over goal - congratulations on getting that close, I wish I were 50 lbs closer to my goal weight... :oops: You might need to change up your work routine to get the rest of the way to your goal. My thought would be that as long as you aren't putting any weight back on, you are still making progress. 47. Up early for once (only had about an hour sleep - but feel good so I think I'll stay up and get stuff done. 48. Feeling extremely productive at the moment - going to use that. Grateful for Buster and his reminder at how nice mornings can be. After he ate, (took all of 90 seconds), he went back outside and lay down on the damp, cold cement patio slab and enjoyed the morning. Then he's so cute because whenever he comes back in the house, the first thing he does is come find me cause he's a shepard and it's his job to know where I am...lol. Ok - well I'm off to get some stuff done. I'm going to have a very productive day today. I don't know why - but I think I've just broke my pyschological barrier this morning.

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Hpy- I agree with Mannix. Congrats on shutting down TV! That's got to be really tough, especially if your days are stressful and you just need something to help you zone. I need to develop the same thing with after-hours computer use. Loved the picture of Buster on the board. Thanks for sharing it. Where are you going in the Southwest, mannix? I lived in Tucson for 25 years and for most of the time it was great. Are you going to play any gigs there? Do you know people? I took two steps toward the new big goal today, mostly because I wanted something to show here... 1) Got a photojournalist manual from the library that came highly recommended on a professional type bulletin board and actually read a few pages. Noticed instant resistence coming up, though. "Who are you fooling? You can't do this stuff! They'll laugh you off the planet if you tried. You don't really want to do it. It's too much work. You could probably never make any money at it anyway!" You all know the drill. Only instead of closing the covers and returning the book to the desk as I usually do, I said, "Just for today, I'm going to pretend I can." 2) When I got home, I hunted down a couple of recent good shots and emailed them to the editor of the local paper, asking him if they ever hired freelancers, and if so, if he could put my name on his roster. Then I attached two shots. I've written for him before, but with all this resistence pounding in my head, it took a lot of oooomph to actually click send. What's the worst that could happen? He could tell me I'm a jerk and smear my name around town for getting above myself- or completely ignore me. But just for today, I pretended that he wouldn't. I pretended that I could become a photojournalist... Bestbest-

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, It was a crazy day today. Had a gig located about 1 hour from home. When the gig was over, I gave some music to one of the other musicians to take to a second gig. As I handed him the music, he said, "Where are the other books?" :shock: I had left them at home. :oops: So I had to rush back to the car, drive an hour home, get the music together, and drive another hour to meet this guy at the site of his second gig. Fortunately, there were no traffic jams (unusual for D.C.-area interstates, even on Saturday!). So they got their music in plenty of time. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I hadn't made it. From there, I drove out to my parents' to meet my husband, who was helping move my grandmother's furniture. Then caravaned back to my house with my uncle, so he could pick up one of Grandma's dressers that had accidentally been left at our place. So I spent the entire day in my black gig clothes, and didn't get lunch until 4:30! Whew. Tapit and Hpy, I don't know anybody in the Southwest. What I've been trying to do is reschedule a trip that got canceled several years ago. I'm trying to put together an itinerary for at least one trip and then we can schedule it depending on when hubby accumulates enough annual leave. Right now, looks like we would fly to El Paso, Texas and drive to Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico. I'm trying to see what else there is to do besides visit the caverns. I've noticed a disturbing pattern - coming up with an idea for something I'd like to try, then taking forever to do it. I think I've got some version of "the time sickness." Something inside me is keeping me stuck on the same goals month after month. Maybe step 1 for tomorrow should be find a way to break through this... Well, I'm pooped. Tomorrow is another day. -- Mannix

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

I got through this week. That's a success, right there. Nothing so threatening as rumors of job loss or anything like that. Just working extra hours under some frustrating conditions in a very unpleasant heat wave that made it hard to sleep at night. It also left little time for more pleasurable pursuits such as writing painting, exercise, cooking meals to be eaten at home, and communion with cats. But it's OVER and I have tomorrow and Tuesday off! :D :D I've been working three nights in a row for several weeks now to earn extra income, but the cumulative effect this week was a bit brutal Friday was "Staff Development Day" Let me refer you all to the "May Rants" thread for a more complete description. The B.S. quotient was running extremely high on Friday, is all I can say. They had periodic raffle prizes throughout the day, for things such as Starbucks gift cards, bookstore gift certificates, the kind of thing that brings five minutes of pleasure which is hardly compensation for eight hours of pain, but is at least a step in the right direction. But the "Grand Prize" won at the end of the day was Lunch with Melinda Cervantes, the County Librarian. In other words, the woman who made us all endure eight hours of vapid boredom and nonsense that nobody was especially happy to have to attend. :jawdrop:(They were smart enough to make it mandatory, or no one would have been there.) Another co-worker of mine told our supervisor, "I'm sorry, that's my day off and I already have plans--you can't force me to go." It was my day off too, and I wish I'd had the sense to make other plans. For a root canals or a hysterectomy, say. Fun stuff, like that! Anyhow, Melinda Cervantes is a person whom no employee particularly WANTS to "know better" but now the so-called winners have to go make nice and eat lunch with her, just when they thought they'd got through the day and wouldn't have to endure anymore B.S. until the next Staff Development Day! And SHE thinks it's a prize! :jawdrop: :bash: I don't think I could ever shoot anyone, but I have more insight into why a person might 'go postal'. If you put a supersoaker in my hands, I think I COULD bear getting certain people very, very wet with pleasure. On the plus side, my next paycheck will be very, very nice. But now the weather is cooling, the work week is done, and I can sleep late tomorrow! :D :D I foresee a bit of retail therapy... And hopefully Get back into exercise Change the oil in my car Get the cats vet appointment made Melissa

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

49. Washed and dried and put away two loads of clothes 50. Changed the sheets on my bed and washed and dried the dirty ones. 51. Vacuumed - (Aussies shed an amazing amount of fur) 52. Swept kitchen floor, did the dishes 53. Took all the recycables out to the garage 54. Replaced air filter 55. Took advantage of a free life coaching session - this actually helped and came at the right time when I was open to it. One of my blocks toward my cleaning business is that I haven't really been able to face the idea that I will need to do the actual cleaning until it is built up and we can hire others. My health is iffy and the whole thing I want to do anyway is manage, not clean. She pointed out that I need to stop thinking linear. OMG - what a fantastic concept. I don't have to think of me doing the work, I can put an ad out and start interviewing to hire cleaners and call them when we have a job. She also gave me some other advice that was very sound. 56. Signed my insurance papers that came in the mail, called the insurance company to let them know that I did want some of the coverage that they had left off. They are going to make the changes. Mailed the forms back to them. 57. Mailed my business insurance payment in. 58. Called and canceled an automatic payment for something that was being shipped to me that I didn't want 59. Signed up for U-Verse through AT&T - includes both high speed internet through fiberoptic cable and cable tv. :oops: Yep, I gave in. I probably wouldn't have done it if the guy hadn't shown up at the door on Saturday. I wouldn't have called on my own, but he just made it sound too good. Plus, they are giving me $200 back in gift cards. I'm going to use the incentive to have the tv back to propel me forward on everything else. Now that I've lived without it, I'm going to use it as a reward system rather than an automatic gesture. It's just too quiet without tv though. Buster snores too loudly. :lol: I think I shocked the guy slightly because he asked to use my cordless phone - don't have one (at least not plugged in, I use a corded phone on the land line) and when he asked who my tv service was, I said no one and he thought I was using an rabbit ears or something. I don't think that it occured to him that someone might just not have any tv...lol. It's supposed to be much more reliable and better than Time Warner has been. If not, I'll cut the cable again and keep the Internet - at least they are less expensive. I do get a DVR in the package which is cool. 60. Wrote my short story for my Meet-Ups group and met with them. Was interesting what came out in that short story cause it was about when I told my ex that I was leaving and wanted a divorce. Something that I hadn't connected suddenly was tied in - amazing how that happens. 61. Made a contact at the writing group for someone who does technical writing. I'd like to get into that, I used to work on a Cobra Manual and I know I would be good at this type of writing, I just don't have a certificate or anything to get into it or years of experience with that job title. I do have an MBA though. The lady I spoke to didn't have any real experience either - it was someone she knew that pulled her in. Other good news is that I mentioned the company she works for to my other friend and he said that the same company (large one) also does a lot of WAWF invoicing. This is another area that I want to get into because I already do it part time. So now I have a good lead. :) 62. When I was at my writing group today at Borders, saw that they had a sign up that they are hiring. I'm going to hit them up tomorrow. 63. Posted a comment in the General Discussion area about something I've been wondering about. Now I can wait for answers or direction in how to research the subject. 64. Read a book - Paper Mage - surprisingly good. Wow - I feel like I'm starting to actually make progress. This does really help, plus I think my improvement in my mood has helped as well. Tapit - congratulations on sending your materials in to the editor. It sure doesn't hurt to ask. Is the newspaper the only place that you want to contribute to? What about local trade magazines - maybe some of them have a need to have photos for the articles? It might be a more specialized audience and might be work that you could use as references down the road. Mannix - bummer about forgetting the music, but a blessing that you were able to get back in time despite the DC traffic. I'm still a little confused by this trip that you don't want to do. Is there a component to this that we are missing? Do you have a particular reason for going other than you once planned it and then didn't go? If that's the case, maybe you should think of going somewhere that you actually would look forward to going to. That being said, if I were to take a trip to New Mexico, if you are in the area, you might want to check out the famous staircase in Sante Fe that has no visible means of support, Sante Fe's Loretto Chapel.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Shiral, sorry you had to endure that Staff Development Day, especially on your day off! I had to laugh a little at the Grand Prize they offered you. Your situation reminded me a lot of a former job where we were all rewarded with a Fun Day! Not a day off from work, but a day where you had to report to work on time, but spend the day playing card games and board games with your fellow co-workers in Cubicle City! Yuck! Some brilliant mind at this same place also bought one of those "Entertainment" books with coupons for local restaurants, etc. They then had drawings for individual coupons as prizes. Several different people "won" the coupons. But what these geniuses didn't realize was you have to have the card that comes with the book in order to redeem a coupon. And there was only one card per book. So the prizes were worthless! Anyway, at least you have some decent pay coming to you. Hpy, I'm also relieved I got the music there on time. If I'd gotten stuck in traffic, some bride would have had a string trio with no music to play. Whew... Sorry I've confused you on my issues with the Southwest trip. Its origins have a long story which I won't go into now. I'm trying to work through the resistance and will clear things up when I report on my steps. Hope everyone has a good day! -- Mannix

tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by tapit »

Shiral- Great story about your staff development day! Who got the grand prize? It's so bizarre I can see punching it up a little and making a short comedy about it. Sounds like an episode of "The Office". Hang in there and enjoy your sleep in. Hpy- forgive me, but I didn't realize that your were writing as well... what's your meetup group? I organize the RI photo safari meetup and swear by them. For those who aren't familiar- meetup.com is a center where people can go to learn about or organize groups in any area to share your passions. Are you writing for publication? Thanks so much for the suggestion to approach trade mags in the area- (or even elsewhere) as a freelance photog. Opens up a whole realm of ideas. 1) Took a lot of pix and a couple of online classes on photography this weekend, but otherwise didn't make any progress on the big goal. Keep on, everyone!

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Visible Means And Ends

Post by Lynx »

You're seen ... Shirai - Thanks for the funny description of a wasted day at work. I work as a consultant/trainer and participate on the other side of what you went through, but I hope mine aren't bad at all. But I'm taking notes just in case. Mannix: Maybe the time for the trip to the SW has come and gone. If there's no pep to do it, consider letting it go and planning something that inspires more energy. Tapit: You can too be a photojournalist. The thing with editors is all about their taste and preferences, not your skill. Amateur photographers have newsworthy photos they shot which papers use all the time. And the crappy cell-phone images that have made the national media ... You can definitely be a photo journalist because you're good at what you do. Hpy: TV gone, TV back. As a reward. You told us so we're holding you to it. :) Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

Tapit, No need to apologize, no reason that you would know that I write. My meet-up writing group is just a local group that write short fiction pieces, about 1,000 words although I don't think I've come near that limit yet. :lol: It's the San Antonio Writers. I joined it to practice writing on demand as well as to help create a social life for myself. I tend to be hermit like at times. I would like to write for publication. I used to do a lot of writing in one of my former jobs, including helping to write material for a Cobra manual. I need to get brave and do what you did... :oops: send some stuff in and see what they think. I don't really have a portfolio so it's a bit difficult making that move. I had a college teacher that approached me and offered to recommend me for an English scholarship if I was interested. I wasn't at the time, I was working on a business major. I also would like to get into photography although I need a better camera than the one I have. I would like to specialize in taking the pictures used to illustrate articles that are close-ups of things. Does that make sense? Like tight shots of pill bottles or money or of hands. I don't have a camera that is capable of really tight shots though and I don't know that much about photography. It's one of my future goals though. Unfortunately, goals plague me. When I went to bed last night, I couldn't sleep, I kept thinking of everything that I needed to do. I got up and started writing my goals for the day so that I wouldn't forget anything. I had 50 goals before I was done. :bash: :bash: :bash: No wonder I'm tired before I ever start. Of course, I'll be lucky to even get a few of these things done. I've already missed an important one on the list for today. I do know that some are obviously more of a priority than others, but some keep getting put off repeatedly and I want to finish them as well. Mannix, I will send you well wishes that you manage to find clarity for your trip and will stop bugging you about it. 65. I wrote my goals down for the day. :( Lynx, that's why I posted it, so you could hold me to it. TV isn't back until Wednesday though so I have promised myself to get a lot done in the next two days before it comes back and not to put it first.

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

Mannix wrote:Good morning, everyone, Shiral, sorry you had to endure that Staff Development Day, especially on your day off! I had to laugh a little at the Grand Prize they offered you. Your situation reminded me a lot of a former job where we were all rewarded with a Fun Day! Not a day off from work, but a day where you had to report to work on time, but spend the day playing card games and board games with your fellow co-workers in Cubicle City! Yuck! Some brilliant mind at this same place also bought one of those "Entertainment" books with coupons for local restaurants, etc. They then had drawings for individual coupons as prizes. Several different people "won" the coupons. But what these geniuses didn't realize was you have to have the card that comes with the book in order to redeem a coupon. And there was only one card per book. So the prizes were worthless! Anyway, at least you have some decent pay coming to you. -- Mannix
I have to laugh at it too, Mannix. I guess I can, now that it's over and since I don't have to be the lunchee. :D I feel your pain concerning "Fun Day." Oh, yeah, that's EXACTLY how I'd choose to spend the day too--NOT! Sounds like the people at that place of work were even more gormless than they are at mine, if possible! My retired supervisor was working on Saturday, and we regaled her with the horror tales from Staff Development Day. She laughed herself silly about the grand prize, and how anyone could think the staff would view it as a reward they actually wanted. She too, compared it to episodes of "The Office." I think I'm going to have to hunt down a copy of that series and take a look. Today I: Slept in! And it felt good. Did my exercises--which also felt good. Did the laundry. Paid bills/balanced checkbook. Not so fun, but necessary. Felt virtuous. Discovered my stupid telephone jack in the diningroom has died on me. The phone is okay, as I was able to get dial tone on the bedroom jack, and the dialup modem is working. Since I've been away from home so much for the last few days, and able to get online in my room, it never DAWNED on me that the phone might not be working. Did grocery shopping. No painting as of today. Just feeling pretty wiped. Hopefully tomorrow. Have a lot of pics to download from the digital camera. Keep on Stepping, everyone! Melissa

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Tonight! A Date with James Woods!

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, I am patiently awaiting my weekly date with James Woods (a.k.a. "Shark" on the CBS series). It's the only TV show I watch regularly. Tonight it's coming on an hour later, so I am so wisely spending my extra time with all of you! :) I have to say I am very pleased with some recent developments: 1. I rediscovered the Wishcraft process of planning. (You can find the details in Chapter 11 of Wishcraft online.) I used this to help me "safely" get out of a job I hated. (Shiral, the one with the Fun Days!) Somehow this structure helps me realize I DO have time to make regular progress on goals. It also keeps me from over-burdening myself with extra tasks. 2. Hpy, having followed your advice on doing a pro-con list about the country line dancing class, I've decided to sign up for it. The only "con" I could come up with was that the class started around my vacation time. But I'm planning to be there for 4 of the 5 lessons. 3. I'm trying 2 new techniques for my weight program. The first is to write down what I'm going to eat for at least 2 meals in advance. (Thanks, Tapit!) The second is to use what I'm learning in the Alexander Technique to help cut back on emotional eating. Yesterday I felt a wave of resistance and ate 10 good-sized chocolate chip cookies. I'm hoping AT will help me keep control over those feelings. So I didn't binge today, although I did sneak in some nibbles. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Anyway, it's worth a try. 4. And for the much-discussed but never-taken Southwest Trip: Did a lot of thinking about what some of you said and what I'm really feeling. I came to the conclusion that resistance is in play because I don't have much experience planning cross-country trips. I decided it might be better to start planning a smaller, easier trip. I'm thinking now of Chicago - easy to get flights in and out - many things to do there. And hubby and I can attend a live taping of one of our favorite radio shows! From there, we can take a trip to see Route 66 or Carlsbad Caverns. So I've started doing a lot of trip research, which I'm enjoying. The other emotional component for me is that this was supposed to be my big 40th birthday present to myself. It may sound silly, but I feel a little shafted. No one threw a milestone birthday party for me, and then the trip was canceled because our cat became ill and died. This was nearly 2 years ago now, but I still feel hurt. Guess I should write something in my journal. :( After our kitty passed away, I'd planned for us to retake the trip, then get new pets. But, Lynx, as you say, maybe the time for the Birthday Trip has come and gone. Maybe we should welcome our new critters now and worry about the trip later. I'm starting to miss having a pet. Tapit, did you ever hear back from the newspaper editor about getting on the photographer list? Hope everyone else is doing well! -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

I'm still here!

Post by Jane B »

Hi all, Last week was unbelievably busy, so I have been a bit irregular on this forum. I was swamped with translations (good news for the bank account!!). Over the weekend I played some out of town shows that were absolutely spectacular. Also visited with an out of town friend I hadn't seen in a while. I have been skimming through the posts that have been made over the past few days to catch up. The things that come to mind: Mango, I was wondering if your business plan strategy includes identifying your target clientele and doing a market study to figure out if your business idea is a sound one. These steps would help you identify any problem areas and possibly rid you of some of the anxiety you have about financial planning. I could give you some pointers if you want. Tapit, good luck with your new career goals. I also found a previous post where you talked about the Computrace service. I am definitely going to look into that, thanks. I wish I would have found out about it last fall when my laptop was stolen! Seriously I travel a lot with my laptop and could definitely use something like that. As for your resume, when I was polishing mine a few months ago I scheduled a free consultation with this guy: http://www.aneliteresume.com/ His services were recommended on the Monster.ca website and he gave me some pretty helpful tips. His site also includes several resume samples. Hope this helps. Mannix, good luck overcoming the emotional obstacles re: your Southwest Trip. If it's any consolation, I had a milestone birthday a year ago (25), and I spent the day doing nothing but driving through the very dull scenery of Saskatchewan and stopping at a Subway for dinner! As for me, I want to get back to exercising regularly. I have been out of it completely the past couple of weeks with all the work coming in. That and also get back into regular voice training. 2-3 times a week. I've started looking into taking a few lessons and have found some DVDs with which I am going to start working. My steps for today included: working like crazy (the rush is not completely over), but I still managed to save some time to start looking into voice lessons with new teachers and start learning a new song for my band which I am really excited about. As for my goal of meeting guys, I am looking forward to another date with the guy I met in the bus, yet I am not sure at this point if this has the potential to develop into something serious (more on that later). Therefore I am still giving it a shot at this point but I will keep my options open.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: I'm still here!

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone,
Jane B wrote:Mannix, good luck overcoming the emotional obstacles re: your Southwest Trip. If it's any consolation, I had a milestone birthday a year ago (25), and I spent the day doing nothing but driving through the very dull scenery of Saskatchewan and stopping at a Subway for dinner!
LOL, Jane! That's almost exactly how I spent my 40th! I drove to and walked around Warrenton, Va., then through the nearby mountains. I stopped at Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch and kept driving. I drove so long I got too tired to come home and had to spend the night at my parents' house. How are your heavy-metal voice lessons going? I am seeing so many interesting changes from my Alexander Technique study! After yesterday's lesson, I spent a little time practicing some of what I've learned. (This practicing is something I haven't done much of up until now.) Here's what I noticed: 1. I was much more focused on the present. Usually around bedtime, I'm ruminating over what needs to be done the following day. Last night I was completely relaxed and able to enjoy my TV show. 2. After using AT to help remind me I don't have to give in to unhealthy cookie binges, I survived the "danger time" between lunch and dinner without a huge snack. This morning, I am 3 pounds lighter! 3. Even though I haven't had a strenuous exercise session in a couple of days, I have been falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. (With the exception of a few minutes last night.) I'm in a better mood when I wake up, which is saying a lot for me because I'm usually a grump! 4. I sense it's time for a change in my workout routine. Pushing myself with high-intensity cardio, squats and lunges will still have its place. But I shouldn't have constant low-grade aches in my knees and back. Hopefully, as I learn more about AT, I can undo some bad habits and muscle tensing that are contributing to these aches. In the meantime, I need a gentler routine at least part of the time. Today's steps to follow. Have a good day, all! -- Mannix