150 Steps In June

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

150 Steps In June

Post by Mannix »

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hello June!

Post by Lynx »

Another Month: Here goes ... I'm suddenly having more fun in surprising places. 1. Been thinking about a blog, and researched the various options for a beginner. Blogger is owned by Google and you get a blog with your google account. Voila, in 10 minutes I had a blog! Nothing on it yet. But it's calling to me. 2. Fiddled with yet another heading/logo for my professional web site. 3. Settled on a domain name that's not taken or "parked." 4. After seeing how high something was on ebay did a google search trick: searched on the term but site specific: resperate site:craigslist.org Turned up one in FL and we're working out the payment details. 5. Had a good time yesterday at Baystyr Natural Medicine college near Seattle. Classes on fermentation and western herbs in chinese medicine, an acupuncture session and even tasty food (sometimes healthivores conflate lack of seasoning with ??. They didn't suffer this mis conception). Totally underguessed the weather and spent most of my outdoor time chilled & complaining that I'd been misled by the overly optimistic weather forecasters in their suits and inside a studio. About twice I year I get reminded never to believe them. 6. Today, cleaning up 7. Making a shopping list for hosting a meeting on wednesday 8. cleaning house (see #7) 9. working on web site design somehow 10. Oh, nearly forgot, been fooling around with a new self-help technique for sorting out my grief. It's completed. I plan to write it up over the next few weeks and share it with the people who inspired it. 11. Invoice for services for May 12. Putting away papers from my last large client 13. Looking over notes from a workshop I led 14. Looking at application that's due. 15. Hanging out with friends tonite. L

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps In June

Post by Jane B »

Happy June folks. Sorry in advance if this post is a bit long and rambly. Last night I had another date with the guy I met on the bus. I think it was our third date. I was sort of reluctant to go. Although I had enjoyed our previous dates, it seemed like the chemistry wasn’t really there for me. I have come up with one explanation of this. In the past, most of the guys I have been with were well-read/intellectual, cultivated artsy types, and I appreciated the stimulating conversations we had. This guy wasn’t that type at all. Since my history of relationships with the intellectual kind of guys has been unsuccessful, I decided I would still give him a try since I found him attractive and we seemed to get along, but I found our conversations always revolved around the same subjects, his work, my work, my band, his former band, his son. It just seemed to lack the depth and intellectual stimulation I valued in my past relationships. To put it frankly, I kind of found him boring. (Sorry if I seem snobbish, but I guess I can't force myself to find someone interesting. And I did give him a chance). Anyways, in spite of my reluctance, I decided I would go on this date we had scheduled to clarify the way I felt about him. He had invited me over to his place to cook me dinner. Well. I had been in the door less than half an hour before he started wanting to make out. And let me tell you something. He was probably the worst kisser of all time!! Geez. You have no idea folks. Ok, I figure that if I had been really interested in the guy, it may not have bothered me that much, but since I was already unsure of him I guess it only reinforced my doubts. In addition, he started saying how he had been thinking about me all week and had been really, really looking forward to seeing me, while I had been having doubts and really felt a lot more casual about the whole thing. I feel like I need to break it off at this point. Next time he calls I think I should just tell him I don’t really feel any chemistry and I should just leave it at that. Although I’d be glad to hear anyone else’s thoughts. Thanks for listening. JB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody! I've been on an emotional roller coaster the past few days -- ricocheting between anxiety, sadness, sluggishness. Gee, why can't I bounce around between positive emotions? :) Anyway, it's a work day, so I am gently pushing myself to work. So far, I made it to 2 doctor's appointments this morning. (One was for the feet. Verdict: probably nothing serious since the symptoms have gone away so quickly. Come back if symptoms return.) Afterward, went to the gym and worked out for an hour. Most of the afternoon will be devoted to teaching and house chores. And my husband wants me to come out to his friend's house with them. They just play Dungeons and Dragons, which I'm not that interested in, so I don't usually go. But maybe with my moods swinging around, this might be a good day to make a different choice. Goalwork steps for today: 1. Meal planning and workouts (in progress). 2. 5 minutes investigating blogs. (Lynx, I'm copying you! I've been thinking about doing this, too ...) 3. Get outside and walk in the neighborhood for 5-10 minutes. Happy June, everybody, -- Mannix

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Hi everyone, Jane, I just read a funny article on this very subject written by a woman who took up dating after a 4 year break and after everyone of her recent disastrous dates either she or the man wrote about lack of chemistry. However, the last one she liked the most but she was convinced that she had blown it by her behaviour and was so embarassed that she broke all the golden rules on the first date so before he could get a chance to tell her she was dumped she wrote to him about the lack of chemistry. So was very surprised to receive a note from him saying 'damn, I thought you were the one'. Don't pursue it if you feel uncomfortable, especially after the kissing :D

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Lynx »

6. Today, cleaning up Done 7. Making a shopping list for hosting a meeting on wednesday Done 8. cleaning house (see #7) Done enough 9. working on web site design somehow Fantasizing about it ... 12. Putting away papers from my last large client Done 13. Looking over notes from a workshop I led Done 15. Hanging out with friends tonite. Done For Monday: 10. Oh, nearly forgot, been fooling around with a new self-help technique for sorting out my grief. It's completed. I plan to write it up over the next few weeks and share it with the people who inspired it. In Progress. 11. Invoice for services for May 14. Looking at application that's due. 16. Going to Improv practice tonight. 17. Checking out a two conferences I might attend /same dates/make preliminary decision. 18-21. Get out the house: Post office to mail package, send booklet to friend, library to return CDs. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Lynx - I like your No 9 - fantasizing about it :D

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

Ah, June... all the happy memories of school being out (after hectic finals). :D Sunshine, and the pleasant sense of the whole summer ahead. Today so far, I've Done Belly dance routine. Did the laundry Did the grocery shopping *Got the oil changed in my car-- a left over goal from May. Had a nice dinner out with my Australian friend, Donald. A very nice guy. I've kept it on a friendship basis with him though. He does after all, live on the other side of the world--literally. But personally we're very compatible when we have our flying visits. This week, I need to get some housekeeping done. I need to get the cats to the vet. A bit harder than the car, which after all has no claws and doesn't complain when it's oil gets changed. The cats hate the whole process, and howl all the way there and all the way back in the car. :D Need to keep working steadily on Chapter 9 of my novel Need to spend LESS time reading letters to the editor on Salon. Melissa

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

Wow, the sixth month, year half over! Yikes! My goals this month: 1 Stay focused on my own goals, life, stay in my own skin, stay, STAY! (now i just sound like i'm talking to a puppy, and I do kinda feel like a puppy.) Things are working out well so far with DHS, and seem to have potential, but I've got to STAY FOCUSED. :evil: 2 Complete all course work by end of June and register for exam for July for sociology 3 go to Portland 4 find ways to eat: at home, good food (even just relatively good food), three times a day. 5 maintain focus on daughter's programs, homework, meetings, etc. 6 use car less 7 get my hair cut! 8 write letters 9 spend less money 10 post every day!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone! Jane, hope things go well as you break it off with that guy. What an awkward situation! :? Melissa, can you look around for a vet that makes house calls? I know there are a few in my area. Might be worth a try. My report card from yesterday: 1. Planning the day's meals: Well ... I didn't get around to it yesterday, and ended up bingeing in chocolate last night. Lesson learned: yes, I need to make time to think about what I'm going to eat BEFORE it's time to eat! I have so much more control that way. 2. Walk outside for 5-10 minutes: Done! Felt good, but slightly scary. I think that dog-bite incident affected me more deeply than I want to admit. This time last year, I would have been wandering all over the place in this nice weather. Now I'm much more cautious, as if a pit bull could come charging up and attack me from anywhere at any time. Yet our neighborhood is pretty safe overall. Maybe if I keep getting outside, I'll overcome this. 3. 5 minutes investigating blogs. Done! I went back and looked at Barbara's "Jolly 2007 Challenge." I think I'd enjoy doing a project like that. (OK, so I'm a little late ... :) ) Steps for today in the next thread! -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Mannix's Steps for Tuesday: -- Take Alexander lesson. -- Deposit checks at the bank. -- Teach 2 music lessons. -- Laundry/kitchen/chores. -- Take recycling to the curb. -- Catch up on tasks in goal calendar: Take 2 steps suggested from that thread I started on homes/cars of the 1950s. (Hey, that might be a good blog topic right there! :) Also, perhaps this would work for the tape 4 project in "How to Live the Life You Love!" Wow, things are coming together!) -- Get-out-of-house challenge: Walk from home to the metro station. Take metro to husband's office and meet him for dinner at a nearby restaurant. I'll be walking when a lot of commuters will be coming home, so I think I'll feel pretty safe. I feel like I've just leaped ahead 3 steps with that blog project! Hope everyone else's day goes as well! -- Mannix

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

Hey Mannix, I was just reading what you wrote re: going outside for bits of time, and how that was working for you. I wanted to mention that I use AT principles in situations that make me anxious. I have a type of OCD and the symptoms show up as intrusive images...so if I'm driving and going through an intersection my brain is busy flashing images of me being t-boned. (I'm not saying your brain is similar, just trying to share how AT works for me more than just body) Since I started doing AT and inhibiting my habitual responses to physical stimuli, I have been able to transfer that skill to when my brain is doing its movie making. I wondered if you might find it helpful to think AT when you are going out into places that cause anxiety. Just a thought. :)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, Ann Marie, Thanks for the info. I think I'm having something similar to your images of being T-boned in an intersection. When I'm walking outside, my brain creates an image of a pit bull charging full speed at me from my blind side. I think this also gets subconsciously mixed in with my perception of other dogs. I find myself jumping a little bit even when I'm approached by friendly dogs I know. :? Last week, I was able to inhibit an episode of late-night anxiety using AT. I hadn't thought about using it with my dog issue. Maybe because the images flash so quickly, although their power lingers. I will experiment with inhibiting tonight when I walk to the Metro. Thanks for the tip! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Tuesday

Post by Lynx »

For Monday: 10. Oh, nearly forgot, been fooling around with a new self-help technique for sorting out my grief. It's completed. I plan to write it up over the next few weeks and share it with the people who inspired it. In Progress. Note: Manoman! Awoke this morning with a dream of my next positive step re: investments. It's not a fun one, but in my bones I have to do it. See #22. 11. Invoice for services for May 14. Looking at application that's due. 16. Going to Improv practice tonight. skipped 17. Checking out a two conferences I might attend /same dates/make preliminary decision. decision made: going to professional development conference. 18-21. Get out the house: Post office to mail package, send booklet to friend, library to return CDs. All done Tuesday: 11. Invoice for services for May 14. Looking at application that's due. 22. Draft heading, account numbers, etc. for letter to investment company selling out my remaining shares in everything. 23. Ride the pain #22 will bring on. Cry when I have to. 24. Shop for meeting tomorrow. 25. More attention to web/blog development. 26. Reiki Session this Afternoon. 27. Make quinoa tabouli for tomorrow. 28. Last minute straighten up/clean. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

I haven't had a chance to write down my goals for the month, here they are Business stuff: Make 20+ cold calls Prepare that application for certification by a professional organization (too swamped with contracts to do it last month, which is actually a good thing) Do some filing and organizing Music stuff: Continue regular voice training and songwriting Plan the logistics of my band's gig in July: find a supporting act, start planning the postering and advertising, decide upon pricing of tickets, etc. Record some demo songs with band Other Continue regular workout at the gym I'm taking a break from my dating goals after a few weird episodes (the one described in my last post is only one of them). I have a busy summer ahead of me with various music projects, and I need to devote time to that. And my steps so far. 1. I had my first voice lesson geared towards heavy metal singing. She actually has been teaching voice for 20 years and has a background in various styles, but I heard her singing and she is definitely an authority on the metal genre. The first lesson was sort of a recap of some vocal exercises I already knew, with a few new twists. She was also very encouraging: at the end of the lesson, she told me I was a fast learner and probably wouldn't need that many lessons to reach my goals. 2. Been working on the songwriting 3. My voice has been tired and raspy, so I have been trying this "remedy" my new voice coach suggested: sitting face down in front of a bowl of boiling water with a towel over my head to let the vapours restore my vocal chords. 4. Went to the gym 5. Scheduled an evening to work on writing new songs with one of my bandmates.