150 Steps In June

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

The Art of Letting Go #22/#23

Post by Lynx »

Hard Art 22. Draft heading, account numbers, etc. for letter to investment company selling out my remaining shares in everything. 23. Ride the pain #22 will bring on. Cry when I have to. These are done. The letter sent. This hurts to my core. I treasure your support, even a place where I could put this publicly on my todo list for a week while I gathered by courage. Thanx for caring everyone. Mannix, about the websites, the business one is a business necessity on par with the various licenses I must have. I know it hurts my credibility with prospective clients not to have a reputable website. The other one will be the one that waits. The blog is also on a minor level. In your blog research, check out wordpress and drupal. Harder than blogger, but with the learning curve comes more functionality. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps In June

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, all, Lynx, how are you doing? Thanks for the tips on blogs. Right now my biggest challenge is just to get writing! :) Successes from yesterday: 1. I wrote some pretty bad stuff in a simple Word document. It got my brain slightly reacquainted with writing. I'm not sure there's anything there I'd want to post on a blog, but I feel some ideas forming. 2. Practiced my Alexander Technique homework and read some of my book. I don't know why I have resistance to this. I always find something valuable in the book, just like with Barbara's stuff. 3. Picked up 2 new students for the summer. Challenges: 1. Wave of depression hit last night. May not be a good idea to confine myself to the house all day. I'm going out to the coffee shop this morning. 2. I'm starting to over-schedule again. That contributes to discouragement and resistance. Have a good day, everyone! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

OverScheduling

Post by Lynx »

Hey Mannix, thanx for asking. I go up and down. Somehow the whole right side of my body feels tight and sore. Today I'm awakening with lots to do on my mind, so I appreciate the overscheduling challenge. I don't have any fixes for this issue, but I can share what I try to remember. When I feel crowded with lots to do I add a time estimate aside each item plus a degree of difficulty (any scale that works for you: easy, moderate, hard (E, M, H), 1-5 or 1-10, etc.) Clearly it will drain me to have too many hard goals in a day or even back to back. I try to build a rhythm of something easy to warm-up, then alternating hard, easy & break/rest for the duration. The breaks or rests stops can be something quick and small, just to distract me from the pressures to get stuff done. Open and New Goals 14. Looking at application that's due. In progress 25. More attention to web/blog development. In progress ±38-50. Get ready for Human Subjects Committee Meeting (usually a dozen studies to read). In progress 51. Draft letter to article authors telling them how I extended their model for dealing with loss and recovery. In progress 52. Consider taking an free online class as a way to evaluate if I use teleconferences to share my expertise/recruit clients. 53. Dig through condo files for a missing folder. In progress 54. Go to last music concert of school year at the local university (Jazz vocals). Done 55. Decide if I want to apply again for a local grant. In ambivaLand 56-60. Get my website up, test email, add email address to my email program, compose first draft page. starting on 6/9 61-63. Write new purpose, vision and values statements for website and a class I'm taking. In progress 64-65. Post here, email catch-up. Mourn your losses then get back to the celebration of your life (Tibetan Buddhism). Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hey, Lynx, Are we the only two using the thread these days? :wink:

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Alright: here is my Happy Plan. After watching that 'change your brain, change your life' guy on pbs, I had depression symptoms that fit all three categories of depression that he mentioned. I was diagnosed with depression many years ago, it's been a constant in my life. I've managed it but I need a clear plan for management. Here is that plan. THE HAPPY PLAN Destination: Happy = able to be active Determination: I believe and know I am worthy to be happy and active. Deliberation: Here is my action plan 1. Get outside before noon. Accomplish something before noon (even if it is just to walk to the corner and back) 2. Exercise: Cardiovascular exercise 20-30 minutes 4 times a week. Weight Training 2-3 times per week. Yoga 1 time per week. 3. Supplements: Synthroid 1 per day Sam-E 3 per day Tyrosine 1 per day St. John's Wort 3 per day Fish Oils 2 per day Multivitamin 1 per day Calcium 2 per day Bu Zhong 16 per day Ok, Heretofore I will check in on my progress and results. These are good small steps toward my goal.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Success! for today, Monday. 1. Got out before noon, met a morning goal (mail something, go to work). 2. exercised - 30 minutes jogging on my minitrampoline. yay! 3. took my supplements. I'm on my way to how I define happiness. yay.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

few goals/lots of steps

Post by Lynx »

Hey, My goals have lots of little steps to them, clusterSteps. Anyway, today's attention fall on 14. Looking at application that's due. 85% done 25. More attention to web/blog development. New forum on simple sites to explore ±38-50. Get ready for Human Subjects Committee Meeting (usually a dozen studies to read). 90% done 51. Draft letter to article authors telling them how I extended their model for dealing with loss and recovery. 60% done 52. Consider taking an free online class as a way to evaluate if I use teleconferences to share my expertise/recruit clients. gonna do it Velvet, keep it up the momentum. Lynx

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Things have been moving!

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, The past few days have been very busy and exciting. I have been in the studio collaborating on a new record for my reggae band which will be out in the fall. I also spent time with a musician friend who lives in another city and who came out for the recording. In addition to that I: 25. Ended things over the phone with the guy in the bus. It went down really well. I was just open and honest about how I felt and tried to be cool and friendly about it. He said he really appreciated my honesty and he sort of expected it, because I seemed a bit distant when I left him the other time. So anyways, I can give myself a well deserved pat on the back! 26. Everything is sorted out with the band situation. I told the booker about the situation with the pregnant girlfriend, and he seemed ok with the fact that there might only be two bands provided we attract a decent crowd of people. And this is pretty much up to us to make it happen: do the promotion, postering, etc. 27. In the midst of all this I have been finding the time to do my voice training 28. Also wrote a sort of prose text which I am thinking of using for a new song with my band 29. Worked out 30. Been doing my facial soaks, which is worthy of mention in this hot weather 31. Speaking of the hot weather, my band just moved into a new rehearsal space; we don't have the air conditioning yet, and yesterday with the hot and humid weather it was like an oven in there, yet we still jammed energetically for over fouor hours. Thought that deserved to be added as a step! 32. Today I also installed a rack and a milk crate on the back of my bicycle so I can carry things around. Doesn't seem like much for most people, but I am really not a manual person, so I was proud that I did it "all by myself"! I don't have time to read the posts from the past few days but I will catch up as soon as I have the chance. JB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

One way OR The Other

Post by Lynx »

Supports: See Jane Go. Go JaneB Go! Insight: I just had a few minutes, and I told myself I'd work on one of my goals and see how far I got. Got along well for the first hour, and so extended the time twice and finished a good draft. Which led to this reflection: There are two axis, time and distanced traveled. Trying to attend to both is competitive with self, the record, others, who knows. Think breaking a track record. There's the distance to train, and there's the time to finish faster. So, the way of Zen may be to pick one as the focus and let the other ride. So, I'll run a mile in however long it takes. OR I'll run for four minutes and see how far I get. Mannix, could this help sort the overwhelm stuff? Lynx

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

In accomplishments, I was finally able to register my community college course in Spanish! yay. the school promised to make that possible in 1 business day, but it took something like 8 business days. yah. I also discovered there's a bursar's hold on my account from a course I took in spring 2006 - a new thing I must resolve (really, I sent the BOGG fee waiver *twice* in spring 2006 and they assured me that is all I had to do, and failed to contact me after I sent the last copy). So now I must find the form which I hopefully kept somewhere in my files (I do tend to root out old stuff a lot) or I might have to pay those old fees. But it's worth it, I need this course for my major. And at least it is community college prices. I also updated my financial aid application to add in the community college - might get a few dollars more? sounds like a small job but it required searching for pin numbers and passwords and then figuring out I needed a new password and all those emails back and forth just to say, "hey, please add this school to my list." I got groceries! wow, I have some food in the house, I really needed that. I updated 2 random notebooks of notes on computer stuff. I shredded the papers waiting to be shredded and put all my paper in recycling. I looked up my college loan and checked that all is in order to be paid off in full most likely by the end of August! It looks great. As for my Happy Plan, I am happy to report: 1. I got out early this morning to get coffee. yay. 2. I walked 30 minutes to the grocery store, good exercise. 3. I took my supplements. I was able to be active and chose to be active and it felt happy.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good evening, everybody, Progress is not exactly occurring on an exponential scale, but I have made a couple of insights: 1. Daily task lists do not have to coincide with the stroke of midnight. In other words, it's perfectly acceptable to spend a few hours in the morning on yesterday's list, and do a new one in the afternoon. Somehow, for me, that takes away the "overwhelmed" feeling. 2. With a little thought, I can get stuff done by making appointments for my projects and using the kitchen timer. And that doesn't necessarily mean getting up at the crack of dawn and working on stuff until bedtime every day. "Overwhelmed" = perfectionism at work. Velvet, congratulations on putting yourself first! I hope your good self-care will help the depression symptoms diminish. Do you belong to the Kaiser HMO? They have an informative, supportive class on depression and low self-esteem. Jane, great job closing the book on the guy from the bus. You do deserve that back-pat. It would have been easy to ignore his phone calls until he stopped, or sent an e-mail or left a note under his windshield. Great job communicating honestly and directly! Lynx, I think I see what you mean about taking one approach to projects. I seem to gravitate toward seeing how much I can get done in 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc. The missing component is prioritizing. I think it's going to be a balancing act for awhile. OK, it's "off" time, so now I will take it off. Good night, everybody! -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Taking a few minutes to post yesterday's steps and catch up a bit with y'all. 33. Did some voice training 34. Did my "facial soak" despite the hot weather 35. Worked on writing song for band 36. Went and jogged out in the hot sun 37. Cleaned my apartment while listening to some music 38. Made 4 prospective calls. 39. Sent contact info to another prospect Velvet, good luck with your happy plan. Sounds like you have a lot of determination. Mannix, I have had the same issues with prioritizing and planning over the past few years and I can honestly say that I've made some progress. To me, it was a matter of reading about various planning techniques and developing a system that worked for me and my lifestyle. It took some trial and error, though. I frequently had to stop and reevaluate my planning techniques to determine if they were really helpful and change whatever didn't work for me. Alan Lakein, author of the book "how to control your time and your life" (or something like that) compares time management to professional photography. A photographer takes many snapshots of a subject, with different angles, lighting, etc. before he gets the one that is perfect, just like you may have to adjust your goals and planning techniques frequently before you find a strategy that works for you. This knowledge allowed me to stop getting discouraged and feeling like a failure each time I tried to apply a planning technique that wasn't 100% effective. Here are some other things that also really helped me. First of all, coming to terms with the notion that I will achieve nothing if I try to do everything all at once. This to me was super important. Conditioning myself to focus on one thing at a time and take the time to do it right before moving on to the next. Catching myself when I fall back into the "hurried sickness" mode and trying to just relax, take a deep breath and focus on one thing at a time. Really it's the only way to get anything done, IMO. You are right when you say that you don't need to do everything on the list before midnight. If it is on the list, it means you will get it done sometime, even if it's not on that exact day. However, for me it is important not to fall into the trap of making an unrealistic list with the thought that "I don't have to do it all anyway", because then it has the opposite effect: if I think I don't have to do it all, sometimes I don't have the motivation to get that much done! Therefore, over time I have tried to keep my lists as realistic as possible, again a question of trial and error. Re prioritizing, an approach that has helped me is to ask myself the question: "will something terrible happen if I don't accomplish this today?" Hope this helps. Lynx I've been reading about your web/blog steps and just wanted to offer my support and say congrats for your consistent efforts. Have a great day everyone! JB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Successes in Spite of Myself

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, I'm so excited about what's happened today I had to turn in a mid-day report: 1. I started a blog! Yes, I know it's not that big a deal these days, but I feel like I just sold my first screenplay! :D 2. Just had a lesson with a new student for my seven-week summer lesson series. I'm not officially starting until July 7, and I told them they could get back to me if they decided to continue, but they wanted to commit right away! So there's a poke in the eye to that thing inside me that assumes I'm not very good at anything I do. JaneB, thanks for that long response to my task-planning situation. Will read in depth later and respond soon. Hope everyone's having a good day! -- Mannix

Hpy2bme
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Hpy2bme »

Congratulations on everyone who is doing so well this month. Lynx, you continue with your steps and are making huge strides even though it has been emotionally draining. Keep up the good work. Jane B - wow - you are doing amazing things. Mannix - good for you on your progress and with your new blog and fantastic news about the students committing right away for your lesson series. I've been out of touch because my power supply to my laptop has decided to only work intermittently - battery life is about five minutes - so makes going on the lap top almost impossible at this point. I'm trying to locate a new supply however, I have a 75 wat adapter and there doesn't seem to be one listed on HP's website like that. They are either higher or lower wattages. I'm in the process of investigating. My desktop hasn't been working too well either, however, my very best friend decided out of the blue to buy me a new computer so now I have a brand new HP Pavilion. I've been busy trying to set it up and transfer the files from the old computer to the new. Fortunately windows transfer has made that fairly easy, although still time consuming. I figured out how to do it myself so that was cool. I still need to get the printer and my MGP player software transfered but I need to locate the disks with the information first. I interviewed for a position almost two weeks ago that I really wanted and have avoided writing anything because I didn't want to put any negative vibes out there about it. I haven't heard back from them although they were supposed to make a decision relatively soon, (like by last Friday.) I'm going to call and find out, but the fact that I haven't heard anything is disappointing. I spent three hours there. It might be they haven't made a decision, but still, if they have, my personal opinion is that they owe it to the people they interview to let them know a decision has been made. Oh well - I'll find out soon enough once I call. I really wanted this position, it entails a lot of what I like doing and learning about. I know that it would have been that good enough job - one that would have enabled a lot of good things to happen. Now that I have a new computer, I'm going to have to spend a great deal of time learning it. I've upgraded to Window's Vista, Office 2007 and QuickBooks 2008. There are quite a few differences, especially with Office. A lot of cool new features, but I'm not thrilled with the graphical menus in Office 2007. I liked the word menus better. The icons are more confusing right now, but I'll figure it out. It's all there, you just have to search a bit.

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Got some important errands run: got cat food went to the fabric store having the moving sale and found exactly what I wanted - cream microsuede fabric for a great price. went to the house where I'll be catsitting to pick up the keys and get instructions. went window shopping :) had a great time. I really like this goal of getting outside by 12 noon. So here's my Happy Plan progress for today: 1. got outside before noon :) and met a goal 2. had a little walking here and there. I dont have to have a full workout every day but got in several 10 minute walks at least. 3. took my supplements :) so far, this really helps me a lot. action just feels so much better than when I started.