150 Steps In June

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps In June

Post by Jane B »

Hello all. My steps for the day 40. Organized my desk and filed a huge pile of papers that had been accumulating-finally! 41. Went to the gym 42. Did my facial soak 43. Contacted a few prospects 44. Got an estimate and proof for some documents I need to have laser printed 45. Worked on songwriting 46. Listened to some CDs I have come down with yet another cold (probably the tenth one I get this year) and my throat was really irritated today so I had to miss band practice :( I was really looking forward to it, things are really coming along well with my band. Lately I have been wondering what to do about another situation and would be curious to have your thoughts. There's this local one-man-band rockabilly artist whom I have really, really admired for quite some time now and have been following his career. Last fall, a series of bizarre events led him to one of my performances, and after the show he approached me and told me he really liked my playing and suggested we jam together sometime. Well, we exchanged a few emails after that, and he told me he usually tours and performs solo but wanted to put together a band to play around town; this was the project he was solliciting me for. However, the idea went into hibernation for months because we were busy with other things and he went on a long solo tour. A couple weeks ago, I got back in touch with him. He gave me his phone number and we talked about it. He seemed open to the idea ("yeah I got some spare time, let's make some noise"), but it seems complicated to organize. He lives in a house in the suburbs where he can make all the noise he wants without disturbing the neighbours, but it's complicated for me and the other musicians to get there because none of us have cars and it is hard to access by public transportation. I suggested we reserve a rent-by-the-hour jam space in town one night and split the price. He said "yeah sounds cool, I'll call the others and get back to you in a couple of days", but it's been over a week now. I'm thinking that he is probably quite content being a solo artist and that this band idea won't materialize itself if it is too complicated to organize. However, I would really like to have the chance to play with him. Any ideas? JB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

clocking steps

Post by Lynx »

Time's a tickin Mannix I use a kitchen timer all the time when pressed to get stuff out. I use it three ways. Sometimes I want to get X hours on a task, and have no real heart for it. So I chop it up and let myself do as much as I can tolerate, stop the clock. Do something else, come back and start the clock again. Etc. The other way is as you describe. The third way is to clock how long something takes so I get a feeling for future planning. Then, later, with say 20 minutes, I know what I might drop into that time slot (something that takes 15 minutes or less given that everything stretches). JaneB, I'll let jammin with the solo artist find its own flow. Stay ready and let it happen when all aligns. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

My Most Important Achievement in 12 Years

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, The successes are flooding in this week. Today, I opened a soup can that had one of those pop-top lids. All by myself! Without supervision! :D About 12 years ago, I sustained a bad cut to my right pinkie finger when I pulled back the lid on a can of cat-food. I lost some feeling in the finger and even today it's still a little numb. As you can imagine, this was very scary for a violinist so I've always had my husband open cans for me since then. Today, I decided it was time to try again. I moved slowly but surely and the thing came off no problem! So there is hope that I may continue to live independently. Hope to be back to post more later tonight. Didn't sleep well last night, so I'm setting a goal of quitting for the night by 8:30pm. (It's 5:30 now.) Hope everyone's having a good day, -- Mannix

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

I wanted to catch up on everyone's posts before starting mine again, but that would probably take till the end of June at the rate I'm going. So, I'll jump in midstream. Goals STAY!, Homework, Food, CrazyRat, De-Car, Frugality, Hair, Portland, Correspond, Post 1. using the print and paste technique to help me focus on DHS emails for a specific period of time, then I can move on, which definitely helps me stay focused on what else needs to be done. 2. will only be able to focus on history for the next week, will finish sociology the week after. 3. found out what day i have to register for exam by. 4. ate at home, took my own tea. 5. am posting today. 6. took kid to the doctor 7. sent a real email to my mom and dad, rather than one of those "everything is fine" emails. 8. gave myself lots of loving encouragement today. that's it for today, but it gets me back in the swing of posting, hopefully! Good post about opening the can, Mannix, and any step is a good step, ya know?

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Here are my current successes: I went to the community college for the first time, I got my textbooks for the spanish course ($160!). Unfortunately I forgot to bring the current fee waiver form and to find the fee waiver form from 2006 (since it looks like that didnt get cleared up in 2006 when I sent the form a second time). woops. But overall it was ok, I got to check out the new, fancy building and bought some books to look at before class starts. I was nervous, so it's good I just did a small step. I went to the gym and did my weight training routine! WOOOOHOOOO! I returned a dvd to the library I read a chapter of my library book (need to return 2 books next week so must read fast - cant extend them) read some of Harry Potter 7 just because I wanted to and it makes me happy. Watched Oprah on the Secret I made raspberry sun tea! ah it feels like summer to make something like that. I was really dreadfully tired this afternoon and concerned about it, so I just made a plan to go out at 5pm after the show. I needed to run some errands - got a new shower tower (woohoo, no longer having the stupid shower rack on the fawcet falling down on me!), and some black out curtains (I'm waking up too early due to the light) and a pet hair remover (works). I got home, put up the curtains, put together the shower tower, tried out the cat hair remover on all the furniture and bed. yay. I also discovered a couple dvd/vcrs and one is very nicely priced, might upgrade my current machine to a digital capable one. I sent a message to a friend to ask him if this is what I need - oh I am sooooo happy to have a technical friend who understands these things! THE HAPPY PLAN 1. got out before noon (I really like that deadline, it motivates me to get moving sooner. today I got out at 11:50am and got some errands done. this goal is so right for me - I might have been tempted to eat lunch first if I didnt have that goal to meet). 2. Exercise - I walked for 20 minutes amongst pretty trees, I did my weight lifting routine, and two yoga sun salutations. 3. I took my supplements! yay. these help support my body so I can be active and functioning. Mannix - what about using a tool to open cans like that? like slip a knife under the loop and tilt the knife up, pulling the lid up, or looking to see if there is a tool that makes that easier for you? why not? your hands are important to you, and you've got a good reason for it. I burned myself as a child and couldnt light matches until early adulthood. I wont do the paper matches, I can only do the wood matches because it feels safer to me. The fact that I can light matches is an accomplishment for me, and choosing a safer option is completely fair in my opinion. JaneB - I guess I would either figure it probably wouldnt happen to hang out with this person, or I'd just choose to think that if it is meant to happen, the doors will open to make it possible. And then keep my eyes open for any appropriate opportunity. good luck everyone. I'm really happy to see you including loving encouragement in your list, Ann Marie. :)
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

I'ts Final

Post by Lynx »

Heard from my brokerage company today. All my shares are sold. If there were a thread for Failure Stories that's where I'd be hiding today. I'm have no need to do very much, today, so I won't. Friday through Sunday 66. Get to barcamp Seattle early to watch the beginning. 67. Attend <if I can get in> a session on PowerPoint Karaoeke (sp?) 68. Attend the second day. 69. Play bridge Friday 70. Sit around grieving and journaling. 71. Staying away from electricity, sharp objects, heights, hot objects, plastic bags, carbon monoxide, sleeping pills, rope, paper and note pads, slippery surfaces, bananas, ladders, mirrors, crosswalks, cranes, 72. more grieving 73. more ... L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Lynx, I am sorry to hear about your lousy luck. All I can do is offer you my support and encourage you to take some time off and do something that makes you happy. May I ask what Powerpoint Karaoke is? For my part, here are some recent steps: 47. Exercised outside and at the gym 48. Worked on some songs for the band-I sang some of my ideas for songs that we are writing and the band loves them 49. Started working on my application for the professional translator's association 50. Listened to some new CDs Tomorrow night there is a show in town I really really want to go see. The thing is, it is an obscure experimental band and I am having trouble finding people who are interested and willing to pay 25$ to go see the show with me. Normally I would just save myself the stress of convincing someone to come and just go by myself, but this time it is different. I know that at least one, and maybe two, of my ex-boyfriends will be there, and in this situation I would feel uncomfortable going alone (long story, complicated past with one of them, etc.). Arrrrrgh. I am finding this quite frustrating. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Another Day

Post by Lynx »

GMorning JaneB PowerPoint Karaoke is someone compiles a random set of slide and people take turn presenting a PPT presentation with these slides talking like they know what they're talking about. Never attended one. I hope it's funny as I need a good laugh. Thanks for the witness and support. Got past yesterday. Another scrapping along the bottom day. Hope that's it for LIFE and it all slow joyful ecstatic gain from here on. Let us pray ... L

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, Just survived a busy weekend: First, my nephew and I drove up to Winchester to see my parents. From there, my father and I drove to Somerset, Pennsylvania to meet my uncle and pick up my grandmother. She is about 1 month away from turning 90 and is now going to live with my parents. All the way home, she kept insisting to my father that she was going to pay rent. Then she would ask if either of us were hungry and would we like to eat the hamburger she had saved in her purse. :roll: That evening, Dad, Grandma and I went to a minor-league baseball game while my mom stayed home with my nephew. This afternoon, left from my parents' house to perform at a gig in Maryland. Unfortunately, the heavens waited until just when I wanted to leave to produce a severe thunderstorm. So that delayed my departure by about 20 minutes and made me very anxious that I would be late to the performance. When I finally left, I had to drive through the thunderstorm again, sit in a traffic back-up, and then my car's GPS took me on this weird route into the woods along an extremely narrow road. But all turned out well and I got to the job on time. Arrived home and didn't realize how exhausted I was. Fell asleep right away but then woke up thinking I was coming down with the flu! Fortunately, it just seems to be a sore throat, so I'm catching up here while I wait for the cold medicine to take effect. Biggest achievements of the weekend: 1. Worked on my next blog entry while at my parents' house. 2. In my father, came face-to-face with the origin of my inner critic. I was able to see his frequent, unreasonable criticisms as his issues and not my shortcoming. Was still tough to deal with, though. How can you be criticized for not being good at something when you're trying it for the first time? Anyway, that's all I'll say about it here. Biggest thing to work on this week: I'm off the diet/fitness bandwagon again! Grrrr! I think going back to the same routine I used with my personal trainer is not going to work. As Barbara says, "my timing has changed" and I need something new. Sigh. Hope everyone had a good Saturday, Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Comments for Step Friends

Post by Mannix »

Jane, thanks again for the comments on planning. I hadn't thought of developing one's own planning technique until fairly recently. For a long time, I followed the Franklin Covey planner system, where you write out your mission statement, values, master task list, daily task list, etc. I found that system brings out too much of the perfectionist in me and I would spend a lot of time making this perfect set of papers. Then I would never look at the mission statement or values. I seem to do much better with something along the lines of the Wishcraft system. Although I've mostly been ignoring the goal calendars I've set up with that system, too. Maybe that kind of thing's to be expected with any planning system from time to time. I really liked your comment about achieving nothing when you try to do everything. So true! Whenever I start falling back into that "time sickness," I block time for different activities on my daily calendar. Then I can see how much time I really have in a particular day. Although at some point I rebel against the daily calendar because I don't like having my entire day regimented. Sigh. I guess it's going to be a delicate balance of multiple techniques for me, depending on how I'm feeling at a given time. At least for now. Regarding your story with the rockabilly musician, could you and/or the band rent a car for the night and jam at his home? Maybe once you've gotten together, he would be amenable to meeting at a place more convenient to you. It does seem frustrating that he hasn't gotten back to you. But, then again (and I only say this because I am one, too) ... he is a musician. He may have gotten distracted by something else. Can you put together a specific date, time, and place where the jam session could take place? Hope this helps. Hpy, did you ever hear back regarding that interview? I hope you had some good news, or at least they didn't leave you hanging. Anne Marie and Velvet, thanks for the encouragement on opening the can. Velvet, I do have a tool around here somewhere that opens those dang cans. Naturally, I've misplaced it. By the way, I also have trouble striking matches. I can do it, but I use up about 10 matches before I get a good light. Anne Marie, congratulations on getting back into the stepping groove, and Velvet, great job with your "get-out-before-noon" activities. I think that's a terrific idea. Lynx, sorry to see you are experiencing more pain. I hope you are doing well. Whew, another long post, and my cold medicine is taking effect. Good night, everyone! -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Hope you are enjoying the weekend. Here are some of my recent steps. 51. Did some breathing exercises 52. Started writing a new song for my band 53. Did my facial soaks 54. Listened to some new cd's. 55. And here's an important one! After a pep talk with a friend of mine, I decided to go to that concert I really wanted to see, even though I had no one to go with and I knew I might run into both of my ex boyfriends. Well I am sure glad I did because the show was absolutely phenomenal. I enjoyed every second of it. Plus the place was packed and I never saw either one of my ex's. Instead I met some friends I hadn't seen in awhile. Really glad I was able to push through that fake fear and do what I want. Mannix, I think that any planning system demands frequent review of your goals and objectives and that you need to incorporate as much flexibility into it as your lifestyle demands. Again the analogy of the photographer taking snapshots comes to mind. Personally, I could never use a super rigid system. I am a freelancer and therefore my lifestyle is very unpredictable. Each week I am redefining my goals. The purpose of a system is to help you get things done and make the most of your time, so you should not let it become a nuisance to you. Another thing I found helpful from Lakein's book is to get into the habit of asking yourself "am I making the most effective use of my time right now?" I have found this helpful, because sometimes during the day, unpredictable events will change my priorities and it's important to be flexible enough to redefine them. JB

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Hi Steppers, I've been reading the posts but haven't participated as I seem to be having a very mad month with ridiculous unexpected happenings so currently feeling too very wired and edgy to post properly. I noticed a previous post Mannix where you wondered if you and Lynx were the only ones here, I'm still here in spirit. Plus I identified with one of your posts with the :bash: - saying yes to something that you regretted. That's a hard one to let go. Au revoir for now .

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Unity, I just had another :bash: moment today! This time it was with my mother and the products of her garden. Now I have to make an extra trip on Tuesday to pick up some homegrown lettuce. Oh, well, at least I'm getting some healthy food out of it. I really have a hard time saying "no" to my mom. Big success of the day: Instead of vegging out in front of the TV all day (using my cold as an excuse), I added a second entry to my blog! So I was actually thinking, reading and writing in spite of my sore throat! :D I'm so proud of what I've done so far on this project, even if it's only been two entries. If you'd like to take a look, the address is: http://missjanshomepage.blogspot.com/ Enjoy! -- Mannix

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

Hi all-- Remember me? :wink: Been feeling very behind hand on my goals. Just about the only things I've done regularly were doing my belly dance exercises and working on revising my novel. Currently on chapter nine which is very eventful. Trying to keep the same sequence of events in fewer words and pages. Cut five pages at the start, but don't seem to have shortened it much since then. Summer Reading has started at the library. Library HQ wants us to sign people up online this year which is supposedly a "labor saving" idea but which has turned out to mean MORE work for the staff, not less. Typical! Anyhow, I did the Adult, Teen and Children's Summer Reading web pages for my branch, and I'm rather proud at how they turned out: http://www.santaclaracountylib.org/cupe ... ading.html : http://www.santaclaracountylib.org/cupe ... ading.html :http://www.santaclaracountylib.org/cupertino/CU_adultsummerreading.html All of which represent several hours of work to the detriment of my writng presentation in August. (Doing powerpoint slide presentation with writing exercises.)Worked on it for a while today. In June I have accomplished the following: Sent off my quarterly tax estimated payments for state and federal (OUCH!) Paid a large stack of bills Got the oil changed in my car. Still to be done is get the cats to the vet. After the taxes and bills, I felt very depleted financially. But MUST do this to get their vaccinations updated. Melissa

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

BarCamp

Post by Lynx »

Whats-Up? Whoa. People are getting stuff done. School enrollment. Cat vaccinated. Taxes sent. Oil changed. Music listened do, new routines for health practiced. Moving relatives around. Yes, we do get our lives lived. Went to my first BarCamp this weekend in Seattle. BarCamp is a style of "unconference" similar to Open Space Technology (which I am a facilitor of). In just 6 weeks the organizers got 240 people to sign up. About 150 came the first day (Saturday from 10 - 5, then after-party) and about 50 the second (Sunday 10-1). Topics I enjoyed included bringing what game developers have learned into the workaday world of work, what does it take to design good social network (think Facebook) programs, what is the psychology of social networks, and a four step process for bringing someone along with your ideas: Support Their Awareness, Their Understanding, Their participation/acceptance, Their Commitment. Psst. Naturally, don't let on to them this is what you're about. Also went to a small session on good diagram design principles. [We didn't talk about these, but I enjoy these sites: http://www.indexed.blogspot.com/, http://crappygraphs.com/] This man's site is here: http://complexdiagrams.com/ As promised, the PowerPoint Karaoke was fun. I just had time for two turns before I had to leave to see a movie (Allan Ball's first director's turn. Towelhead is the name, it's great. A movie about the sexual awakening of a thirteen year old Arab-American mixed-ethnicity girl being shuttled back and forth between her divorced parents. Also includes themes of racism, pedophilia, and first love. Saw at film festival, due out this fall). Great pair of days and met some very interesting people. I went out of curiosity though I am not steeped in the IT culture and work as most of the attendees (though I did count three children flitting about). It was good for me to be there for the other participants as I represented "the user." For me (some may be repeats but I'm not looking back) 74-81. Add language from my brochure and an essay on my coaching philosophy to application I am submitting. 81-86. Dig up my dad's will and add legal description of property to my own will. [Find will, scan will, open my will, copy in text, etc.] 87. meet with one of my support crews this morning. 88-95. Deal with condo committee work I'm committed to. Ongoing 96. Look at weekend email. 97. Sign up for my first Noonhat random lunch appointment. http://blog.noonhat.com/ 98. get annual bus pass 99. look at first page of Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller) about being poor and being happy 100-110. Webpage and blog developmental steps (ongoing). 111. Post here done. 112-117. Picked four herbs and set out to dry. Jiao Gulan, eucalyptus (two types), cancer bush. Done. 118-121. Pick and put out to dry then rapidly dry-out the tea plant. [makes green tea]. Thanks for the support everyone, yet again. Feels I'm out of the rough for the moment. I concluded yesterday that I have to keep myself busy and occupied. I know now where I might sink to when I have too much time to "reflect." Hope I never have to feel that existential angst again to that depth and degree, but one never knows. L
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.