150 Steps In June

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps In June

Post by velvet »

Oh it's been days since I last reported my progress. Friday: 1. out before noon 2. jogged 30 minutes 3. took supplements Saturday 1. out before noon 2. weights, three 15 minute walks 3. I think I forgot my fish oils? but got all other supplements Sunday 1. Woops. did not get out before noon. 2. 2 15 minute walks 3. did take my supplements Monday 1. out before noon 2. two 15 minute walks 3. still due to take my supplements I had bad cramps starting on Saturday, took a valium Saturday night, which seriously put a damper on Sunday morning, and pain was pretty bad Sunday. So under the circumstances, I gave myself some leeway on time. I took a shower when I was up for it, and eventually left in the afternoon because I had a catsitting job and needed to go take care of some cats. so I did get out of the house. But overall, I just feel better if I get out before noon. And I was pretty lonely on Sunday, I managed it alright. Having these goals really helped me stay focused during the hardest days. I need that sort of structure to help me remember. A couple nights I was taking supplements because I hadnt taken them all day and I really wanted to be successful. So in the past 8 days, I can say my Happy Plan really is working. I need this, and I am glad I am doing it. I deserve happiness. And I believe I can be happy, and I am well on my way. velvet
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Hi again, It seems like I keep appearing and disappearing here. :roll: I have been keeping up with what you're all doing, and it's impressive to see such ambitious goals accomplished. Jane, you're really rocking at an age when I was just starting on a career and I admire you so much for it. Mannix, that finger cutting incident really stands out, since I have carried that hand injury fear throughout my life. First it was as a musician, then as a "keyboardist" for typing through transcription to home computer work. Given your livelihood in music, I wouldn't fault you for continuing to let hubby open cans, although the current pop tops are pretty easy and safe. Good for you! I have gotten some considerable accomplishments recently.
    Completed course this spring with some outstanding student projects. This is one of my chief professional gratifications.
    Completed faculty training for building online communities, a very engaging venture. So, I've been busy revising materials and it's going well.
I'm having a dilemma which I could use some feedback on. I've been wanting to blog and work with online income streams. Yet prepping for college courses is so time consuming! Since that's been a viable income source and really is my best shot, it does make sense to concentrate efforts there. Yet I don't want to hit a brick wall at some point, and be unable to continue with that income source without having other things in place. Any suggestions would be welcome :!: Thanks, dani :)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, all, My cold is bumming me out. Yesterday afternoon, I thought I was on the way to recovery. Then I got out of the shower and slept for an hour, having already slept about 2 hours before the shower! Ended up going to bed at 7:30 and didn't get up until 12 hours later. This morning I'm due at an Alexander lesson, and I'm already tired. I'm supposed to teach 4 students this afternoon, including a new one, but I don't know if I'm going to be up for it. I'm taking some daytime cold medicine now, so maybe I'll feel better later. I'm also scheduled for a teleconference tomorrow morning. While I've set up my blog, I haven't worked on any of my other goals in quite some time. At some point, I began to totally ignore the flow charts and the goal calendar I made. Maybe I need to reassess what I want. Lynx, I'm so glad you had a good time at the Unconference. You really deserved that experience after all that has happened to you. Velvet, sorry about your pains. I hope they're gone now, or will go away soon. Congratulations on finding the right combination to keep you from falling into depression. Dani, unfortunately I have an incredible talent for turning a safe pop top into a lethal hazard. But the desire to have a can of minestrone soup for lunch (when hubby wasn't there to open the can) overcame my fear of cutting off a finger! Take deep breaths, go slow .... :) I'm afraid I don't have much advice concerning your dilemma with online income streams. Is there some way to project when this "brick wall" would occur and set up a Plan B for that point? Maybe these income streams could take you through your first two years of college (or more) before this problem presented itself. OK, it's time to rally! (Yawn ... can't I just go back to sleep?) Have a good day, all, -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Chunker Steps

Post by Lynx »

Dani: I'm having a dilemma which I could use some feedback on. I've been wanting to blog and work with online income streams. Yet prepping for college courses is so time consuming! Since that's been a viable income source and really is my best shot, it does make sense to concentrate efforts there. Yet I don't want to hit a brick wall at some point, and be unable to continue with that income source without having other things in place. Any suggestions would be welcome Suggestions, there's a distractory part to new stuff, a dreaming part, an active part, a launch part, a make improvements part, etc. They all know each other and sometimes help each other out, play tricks on one another and sometimes stubbornly just stop the whole dance. My suggestion is break the goals into small parts (called chunking down). For each smaller part add an estimate of how long it might take you and an estimate for how difficult it will be (some people need to remind themselves of other things for the third factor. Perhaps "time on task" is the deal maker for you, so estimate how easy or hard it will be bracket time for each chunk). Post here telling what's next, and when you commit to us that you'll get to it. We'll cheer madly. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Dani, while I cant comprehend your specific situation (I'm on my first cup of coffee and very groggy), here's how I handle big things that overwhelm me. I tell myself I can do anything for 15 minutes. then I plan to do three 15 minute sessions, and take a 15 minute break as a reward. If I plan a really fun treat for my reward (I really love interior design magazines) then I'm pretty motivated to earn that reward. (yep, flylady's idea). I find I need acknowledgement from myself for things accomplished. If I forget to do this, it seems to derail me pretty quickly. So showing true appreciation for getting through a challenging step is satisfying for me. And I'm willing to continue on my work towards the goal. (In my little notebook I write on one page my 'please do' list, on the facing page, I head it: 'Success! Thank you!' that works for me). When I started at fancy university, it occurred to me that to eventually get my degree, I'd have to jump through a lot of hoops. If I got really upset at every hoop I had to jump through, not only would I get exhausted, I'd have a hell of a time too. If there are 800 hoops I have to jump through on my way to my degree, freaking out over the second hoop would be basically unwise. So now, whenever hoops pop up that I have to jump through, I just tell myself, "ah, that is just another hoop I have to jump through, I'm on my way to 800." My general uptightness over problems seems to melt under this perspective. How this can relate to you or anyone else is that if you accept that there will be a certain number of challenges or problems on your way to the goal, you wont be so shocked when they show up, and you'll be primed for handling them. This is probably one of the most useful lessons I've learned about life, because the better I accept challenges, the better I handle them. on my Happy Plan, I didnt take my vitamins yesterday, alas. But I just got up and took today's vitamins. yay. I did discover that I can take St Johns wort and fish oils at bedtime to help me for the following day if I've forgotten them and am having a hard time. It's good to know there are things I can do even late in the day to help support me. I'm aiming for not perfection (because misses can derail me) but for long-term success at investing in my own Happiness, doing the things that will support my happiness, and believing I can have it. I think the belief part is the real challenge and lesson.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, I'm posting quickly as I have to leave the house in a bit. Mannix, sorry to hear about your cold, but I'm also glad to hear about your progress with your blog and how happy it is making you. Here are some recent steps of mine: 56. Did some breathing exercises 57. Did some songwriting 58. Sent contact info to a prospective client 59. Did a follow-up with another prospective client 60. Been riding my bike a lot to get around, which is a good substitute for going to the gym, which I haven't done in a few days. 61. Did my "facial soaks" Now I'm off to my second "heavy metal" voice training lesson. I had called my teacher yesterday to reschedule because I too got a cold which prevented me from practicing as much as I would have liked, but the teacher said she would instead teach me ways to deal with such situations. Have a great day everyone!

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Progressive Steps

Post by Lynx »

Hey, I'm in a good place today after getting my passwords and access sorted out for my new web site and email addresses. Along with the blog I did on google/blogger I'm completed for the get ready cycle. I have a mailing for a workhshop in August to send. I'll send it from my new address and use the opportunity to announce the new email address, even if the web site is still underdeveloped. I've decided not to stress at all on the content/appearance issues since I'm writing the pages myself. I'll be posting and changing constantly. I definitely appreciiate velvet's idea that there are 800 hoops to this, so no point getting stressed on any one. One more jumped means one less on the list. Hoops are life, some are sacred, most profane. If you have no hoops you have no goal. Did some networking after BarCamp and will be hangin with one of the folks this very afternoon at happy hour. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

the Happy Plan this is the week where I expect to be most challenged. Not only is it the second week (and my experience with lent has taught me week two will be the time I am tempted to quit or taper off until I give up), but my energy is at its utter lowest. Having survived the cramps, my body goes into utter exhaustion for about a week or two. It's very hard to get through, and to even be aware enough to know it has something to do with my cycle. Nevertheless, I got out of the house this morning, I walked to my catsitting job from the bus stop and back, and walked with a friend to the library and back, so 40-50 minutes of walking at least. I took all my supplements. I'm really proud of that. I believe I can and do have happiness. I am willing to do the things that support my happiness. most especially to blow the past 40 years out of the water and prove to myself I can be happy.

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Thank you all for your wonderfully supportive suggestions :!: :D Mannix:
I'm afraid I don't have much advice concerning your dilemma with online income streams. Is there some way to project when this "brick wall" would occur and set up a Plan B for that point? Maybe these income streams could take you through your first two years of college (or more) before this problem presented itself.
Well, I've got age 65 sort of looming in a couple of years, so that may help. FYI, the college course prepping I mentioned is for my teaching. I already have two degrees, but I may go for a second master's degree, which will further fuel the fire. You probably knew my background, so I hope your cold gets better! :P
velvet wrote:Dani, while I cant comprehend your specific situation (I'm on my first cup of coffee and very groggy), here's how I handle big things that overwhelm me. I tell myself I can do anything for 15 minutes. then I plan to do three 15 minute sessions, and take a 15 minute break as a reward. If I plan a really fun treat for my reward (I really love interior design magazines) then I'm pretty motivated to earn that reward. (yep, flylady's idea). I find I need acknowledgement from myself for things accomplished. If I forget to do this, it seems to derail me pretty quickly. So showing true appreciation for getting through a challenging step is satisfying for me. And I'm willing to continue on my work towards the goal. (In my little notebook I write on one page my 'please do' list, on the facing page, I head it: 'Success! Thank you!' that works for me). When I started at fancy university, it occurred to me that to eventually get my degree, I'd have to jump through a lot of hoops. If I got really upset at every hoop I had to jump through, not only would I get exhausted, I'd have a hell of a time too. If there are 800 hoops I have to jump through on my way to my degree, freaking out over the second hoop would be basically unwise. So now, whenever hoops pop up that I have to jump through, I just tell myself, "ah, that is just another hoop I have to jump through, I'm on my way to 800." My general uptightness over problems seems to melt under this perspective. How this can relate to you or anyone else is that if you accept that there will be a certain number of challenges or problems on your way to the goal, you wont be so shocked when they show up, and you'll be primed for handling them. This is probably one of the most useful lessons I've learned about life, because the better I accept challenges, the better I handle them.
Very sage advice from a courageous lady! I just went through an experience that threw me off for a whole week: Apartment Locksmith Scam, http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21576 Maybe I need to get more perspective on these situations because things will get out of hand and I tend to catastrophize them, dropping everything I'm doing. I admit to getting very obsessive about many things, which needs to be dealt with in a more productive manner.
Lynx wrote: Suggestions, there's a distractory part to new stuff, a dreaming part, an active part, a launch part, a make improvements part, etc. They all know each other and sometimes help each other out, play tricks on one another and sometimes stubbornly just stop the whole dance. My suggestion is break the goals into small parts (called chunking down). For each smaller part add an estimate of how long it might take you and an estimate for how difficult it will be (some people need to remind themselves of other things for the third factor. Perhaps "time on task" is the deal maker for you, so estimate how easy or hard it will be bracket time for each chunk). Post here telling what's next, and when you commit to us that you'll get to it. We'll cheer madly. L
Your first paragraph was amazing and I love your last sentence ! OK, I've got a curriculum submission deadline that will take care of at least that part. I'll probably need to devote the next two week-ends to that. If I get it all done :shock: I can spend the rest of the summer on other plans. Best, dani :)

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, Lynx, velvet, glad to see you focused and persevering towards your goals. Some of my recent steps. 62. Went to my second voice lesson with new teacher. In addition to learning a new approach to vocal support, I got an introductory course on medicinal plants and essential oils and their benefits for suppressing colds, laryngitis and other infections. 63. Did some songwriting 64. Walked and biked to places I need to get to. 65. Listened to some new CD's 66. Continued working on application to professional translator's association. 67. Bought tickets to see a concert tonight with a friend.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

upbeat

Post by Lynx »

Hey All, I had a delightful time kickin it with someone I met at BarCamp. Perhaps a new friend. We'll see. Updates 74-81. Add language from my brochure and an essay on my coaching philosophy to application I am submitting. 81-86. Dig up my dad's will and add legal description of property to my own will. [Find will, scan will, open my will, copy in text, etc.] today 87. meet with one of my support crews this morning. done 88-95. Deal with condo committee work I'm committed to. Ongoing 96. Look at weekend email. 97. Sign up for my first Noonhat random lunch appointment. http://blog.noonhat.com/ Tried, no takes yesterday, trying again today. 98. get annual bus pass done 99. look at first page of Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller) about being poor and being happy today? 100-110. Webpage and blog developmental steps (got page active, email working) 118. Post here done. 112-117. Picked four herbs and set out to dry. Jiao Gulan, eucalyptus (two types), cancer bush. Done. 119. Follow-up with stuff from meeting yesterday. 118-121. Pick and put out to dry then rapidly dry-out the tea plant. [makes green tea]. done 122. Prep for a workshop attending tomorrow. 123. compile email lists for announcement of my new email and a workshop. L

GaryR
New Poster
New Poster

New to the Thread - 60 things in June

Post by GaryR »

Hello, For Today and Thursday the 19th (Day 0,1): 1. Make list of people to contact to aid in job search 2. Make list of companies to orgainize/systemize inventory for (quick cash for improved wardrobe) 3. Make list of hair cutters to sell organizational services to for trade: hair cut 4. Make dating an exercise in scanning (there is no one that can keep up with me or go as deep as me) 5. Brainstorm ways to get the money to cover rent for July (apartment repair?...) (15 day window I do not want to use before getting evicted) 6. Write 500 words on how to find Scanner Mentors (who don't know it) 7. Spend 1 hour researching Telecommuting for Architecture/Community Design 8. Ready my back taxes to go to Accountant :jawdrop: 9. Go to unemployment office to make phone calls 10. Bring 2 meals with me - grind it out on the phone 11. Finish "Refuse to Choose" and "Wishcraft" 12. Offer some feed back to others to get my creativity flowing (once per day from now on, 3 posts per day) -Gary

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

UpSteps

Post by Lynx »

Welcome Gary, And congrats for jumping in. You already seem to have the hang of this. Updates 74-81. Add language from my brochure and an essay on my coaching philosophy to application I am submitting. 81-86. Dig up my dad's will and add legal description of property to my own will. [Find will, scan will, open my will, copy in text, etc.] Started. Scanning didn't work so I'll have to type it in. Yuck. 88-95. Deal with condo committee work I'm committed to. Ongoing 99. look at first page of Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller) about being poor and being happy today? Did this. Had an interesting set of connections. While looking for the Miller book I happened on his letters to Anias Nin. A random letter was about a neglected book by DH Lawrence—reflections on the death of a porcupine. Miller comments that this is a great book and in one essay Lawrence lays out the challenge for artists working within a materialist economic system. After finding the Tropic of Cancer and reading the first page, ok, got it, I tracked down the Lawrence book. Paused for a moment to re-introduce myself to the lovely Lady Chatterly ... triggering a recall that this book was my introduction to adult sexuality when I was 11 or 12. Found the reflections book. Turned to 'blessed are the powerful' that begins "The reign of love is passing and the reign of power is coming again." Nailing the themes of my book and sparking a desire to return to it now that I'm relieved of some of my grieving. 123. compile email lists for announcement of my new email and a workshop. 124. write blog done 125-130. Checkin on two online supports (here and another one), Post at each. done 131-133. Bid, win, pay for Macbook 15 inch laptop on Ebay or craigslist or alternative. 135. Submit application by due date (6/30). 136. Apply for home-based fulltime gig suited for me. 137. Apply for postdoc fellowship in SF CA. Longshot do decent enough app. but don't spend lots of time. 138-139. Learn about and use CSS on my web site. 140-149. Make ten adjustments to web site. [remaining 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] 150. Look through simple elegant web site forum, consider signing up. 151-156. Type in two legal real estate descriptions of property inherited from dad. Proof and make changes. [1 2 3 4 5 6] L
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning everyone, GaryR, welcome! That is an ambitious list. Good luck with your finances. Cold is still slowing me down, but I've been rolling with the condition and have actually made some progress on my goals! I rescheduled my teleconference for next Wednesday, which has given me some time to work on other goals in addition to my blog. We have another chance to adopt new cats. These would be a pair of brothers, age 2, neutered, reportedly very affectionnate. I plan to call the lady giving them away and ask her why they need a new home. Any advice on other questions is welcome. (I also need to review comments from a previous thread...) Steps to follow, Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

STEPS FOR TODAY: 1. HEALTH: a. Plan what I'll eat for the entire day, including calories. Include juice - 160 calories per cup! b. Give myself time to rest and finish recovering from cold - don't stay up too late. c. Don't drink caffeine after 3:00. d. Take tomorrow as a rest day at home. 2. "HOW TO LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE": a. "Up the ante" - from my thread on 1950s homes, pick a suggested activity that creates some discomfort. Set up a list of steps to accomplish, report in blog. b. Write in actions and feelings journal. c. Listen to the resistance tape. Apply some of this discussion to what's going on with my studio development. 3. TELECONFERENCE GOALS: a. 15 minutes on one of the following activities: declutter/organize house (review Unity's clutter thread?), flesh out Fall trip to Chicago. Have a good day, everyone! -- Mannix