150 Steps In June

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps In June

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, Welcome to the thread Gary. I read your post and the following step caught my attention: "Make dating an exercise in scanning (there is no one that can keep up with me or go as deep as me)". Have you been having frustrating dating experiences lately? Here are some of my recent steps 68. Did my voice training 69. Did my "facial soak" 70. Worked on application for professional translator's association. Realized that I have to pay a couple hundred dollars just for them to study my application, and another five hundred or so if it gets accepted. Due to my financial situation, this goal will be put on hold, but at least I have some of the material already prepared when I am ready to go forward with it. 71. Rehearsed with band until 4:30 a.m. (yeah we're nuts) 72. Went to see an experimental music concert that blew my mind and expanded my horizons 73. Listened to some new CDs

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Oh I am so proud of me. :) I did some steps despite panic attacks and chest pain and such. I just kept breathing and thinking of the ocean and got through the big steps. Here's the really challenging stuff: I went to the community college. 1. I dropped off my BOGG fee waiver form with tax forms and such at the financial aid desk. yay. 2. I talked to the cashier about the 'bursar's hold' from 2006. Here's the really good news: they *did* get the BOGG fee waiver form in 2006, but there was a $2 charge on my account. I was so relieved! I said, "oh gosh, can I pay it now??" it is paid and resolved. yay. She also told me my student ID number, which I could not have gotten anywhere else. yay. 3. While waiting for the Information Desk person, I saw a flyer that caught my eye - I can take my American Cultures course through community college, and while they are not offering a course this summer, this fall they are offering a History of California course one night a week. I'm seriously considering the class. Not only am I very interested in California history, this would fill one of my requirements for graduation at the fancy university. plus be about half as challenging. yay! 4. When the Information Desk guy came back, I asked him about finals and he said that it varies depending on the instructor, but my final would definitely be done by the last day of classes (which now means I can schedule a trip!). So that is now resolved. yay. 5. I went to the bookstore and talked to someone there about my book requirements for the course to determine if I have the right books (I might have needed another book). It turns out the books I have will cover the first and second semester of Spanish, so that is good news. (assuming of course that they dont decide to choose a more recent edition by the time I take the second course, if they do, I will survive). 6. I found the classroom where my class will be. (I got this tip from Mrs. Dr. Phil - she would take her sons to their classrooms before school started so that they knew where they were going on the first day of school. it lowers the stress level a bit, and I've since done that for myself. when everything is new and stressful, at least I know where I am going on that first day!) I'm not sure why I was panicky, but I was really surprised and delighted to find that the community college people I talked to today were so nice and helpful. That certainly helped to calm me. I went to the thrift shop afterwards to give myself a reward and calm down a bit. I was so overamped and anxious. It really helped just to look at things. I didnt find anything I wanted to buy, but I noticed I felt a lot better. I should note that I got all the paper work done in preparation for the community college visit, made my lists of what I needed to do and ask, and checked online for all the student account information and such that I needed, which took a bit more time than expected, but I was very fruitful. I'm pretty darn proud of that. The heat today was something to reckon with, so I stuck to my most important errands and also allowed for a bit of a siesta. I also visited the cats I am catsitting, oh and I went to the library book sale on the way home and found a book on Spanish Grammar for $1.50. woohoo. Curiously enough I just ordered the English Grammar for Spanish Students this morning. Ah well, maybe they are doubly helpful. I made phone calls, too, something I find pretty challenging. so yay me on making phone calls! On my Happy Plan: 1. I got out at 1230pm - I let myself have extra time because I had to search for my student id number which was definitely not findable and to get all the papers ready. 2. I suppose I didnt get much formal exercise, but I had at least 3 10-15 minute walks. :) 3. I just took my supplements. :)
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Velvet Steps

Post by Lynx »

Way to Go, Velvet. I particularly want to send a pump-up for all the preparation you did, including visiting the classrooms. For me, I'm getting some of the old excitement back, and remind myself constantly to calm down, these are just the preliminaries. For weekend (not sure where I left off tne counting) 165?. mens group 166. first wave of announcements for my workshop in August 167 Open powerpoint for workshop and get to work 168 attend fremont summer fair 169. attend Saturday House (open format learning days for adults) 170. follow up on two leads 171. attend closing drumming ceremony on Sunday 172. write reviews of two movies as blog entries 173-4. post on two forums. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Not too much progress made yesterday. We had a power outage that messed up our Internet connection. Despite that, I did have a productive meeting with a cello teacher, bought some fiddle books that were on sale, taught 3 lessons, and practiced the violin. I did get out for a short walk in the neighborhood yesterday morning. Still have the vague feeling I'm stepping out into a war zone. My cold remains persistent and is really sapping energy today, so I'm taking the whole day off to continue resting. (I even said NO to my Mom, who just called and asked if she could come over to visit!) Today, I'm going to set up some steps to accomplish this weekend, with the priority being enough time to rest! Velvet, I hope you've given yourself one of the best rewards you can think of. Getting all those things done at the community college, in spite of the panic attacks! Wow! That is so inspiring! I'm going to think about what you did when I start whining about things I have to do. Keep up the great work! Hope everyone else is having a good day! -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi all, Velvet, you deserve tons of praise for your wonderful successes, in addition to booking a trip to the Harry Potter conference (I just responded to your thread on that btw). As for me, the past couple of days have been quite rewarding as well. 74. Yesterday I went out to see a show although I wasn't really up to it. A band from out of town we've played with before was making an appearance, and I am not a huge fan of their music, however they are really cool guys and I figure that if I came out to their city I'd want them to come to our show. Well it turned out to be a really fun night and I got to connect with one of the guys whom I found particularly interesting and attractive. We are playing a few shows together this summer so who knows what will happen. 75. Did a long voice training session 76. Worked on a contract for a shiny new client! I am once again reaping the rewards of my consistent cold-calling efforts. Being a firm believer in the merits of cold-calling, I thought I'd put that passage in bold hoping it will inspire others. Cold-calling seems intimidating at first but it is without a doubt one of the most effective job searching or prospecting techniques. I am living proof of it. 77. Wrote a new song in half an hour! A rare achievement in my case. Well I'll be off the boards for a day or two as I'm playing an out of town gig tomorrow. Have a great weekend everyone!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, I'm afraid I don't have much good news to report. Eight days later ... I'm still sick. I've developed a tolerance to all the cold medicines I've been taking. :( I'm supposed to play a two hour gig early this afternoon, then go to the first country line dance class tonight. I'm not sure what I'll be up for this evening. Everything is in "play-it-by-ear" mode. My husband wants me to call the doctor tomorrow. I feel totally derailed. -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Scaling Todo-Ideas Mountain

Post by Lynx »

Piles of things Looking over my past lists of things, I've gotten active again! Yes! Today I a following up on a great short workshop I attended Sat. on using 3x5 index cards for tracking ideas. Slow getting the hang of it, but exploded this AM with lots of ideas. KeepTrack-TrackBackâ„¢ - I'm trademarking this for its poetic ring. Anyway, todays effort in kt-tb is an rewards/tracking chart. If you are familiar with behavior mod or modern parent training stuff you understand this concept. I am using the backs of flip chart papers cadged from workshops. Across the long top row I leave about a foot of space and then list dates (one per inch/column). Have room for about three weeks. The first column to the left are all the things I want to get to frequently, if not daily. For example, for teeth care I have sonic-care and water pik. I don't list flossing as I already do that everyday. For the web section I list website and blogging. How it works: every day I'll look at this chart and check off what I am able to get to. It's a great feeling filling up the boxes with positive marks. Structurally it's all there to see and remind me. On to my lists here (which will keep me in motion quite a lot this week): 123. compile email lists for announcement of my new email and a workshop. Done 131-133. Bid, win, Done pay for Macbook 15 inch laptop on Ebay. 135. Submit application by due date (6/30). 136. Apply for home-based fulltime gig suited for me. 137. Apply for postdoc fellowship in SF CA. Longshot do decent enough app. but don't spend lots of time. 138-139. Learn about and use CSS on my web site. started 140-149. Make ten adjustments to web site. [remaining 1 2 3 4 5 6] 150. Look through simple elegant web site forum, consider signing up. active 151-156. Type in two legal real estate descriptions of property inherited from dad. Proof and make changes. [1 2 3 4 5 6] 157-164. Pick, dethorn, wash, dry, and peel bark of devil's club herb found walking in park. Done. 165. mens group Done 166. first wave of announcements for my workshop in August Done 167 Open powerpoint for workshop and get to work started 168 attend fremont summer fair Done 169. attend Saturday House (open format learning days for adults) Done 170. follow up on two leads Done 171. attend closing drumming ceremony on Sunday not sure 172. write reviews of two movies as blog entries 173-4. post on two forums. Done 175. Make stack of ideas on index cards. begun 176. make tracking chart. Done 177-80. Change ebay and paypal to a common email to take advantage of discount offer on purchase of MacBook. Done 181. Cut hair. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cold, Day 10

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Yes, the cold monster is still here. It's morphed into a bad cough. I'm feeling very discouraged these days. I know this virus will go away eventually, but right now it seems I will be sick forever. Last night, my sister put me in an awkward situation concerning my planned trip to the beach next week. (Described in "Deep/Shallow Discussions" forum.) I'm not sure how to resolve it to my satisfaction, or even if I can. I have lessons, appointments and a gig this week, and I don't feel like doing anything. Part of me wants to cancel as many commitments as possible and start my vacation early. I guess my steps for this morning are to go to Alexander lesson (hopefully I won't give my cold to teacher), then sit down at a coffee shop and decide what I want to do for the rest of the day. :( -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Lynx »

Hi Mannix, that cold/cough thing is really a slower-downer. Have you ever tried a Reframe from NLP? It's a way of using body signals to cross the communication membrane between our analogically communicating bodies and our digitally trained minds. Try a search to see if anything makes sense. About my update: I've slowed my pace for the past 5 weeks to get a respite and to deal with the termination of my dreams from ten years ago. Moving faster these days and there's a lot I've let slide I need to attend to (as in getting work). My partner has decided we needed a dual-flush toilet and new floors in our bathrooms. Plus a new computer and any incidentals. I just reminded her that I'm w/o work and could we put a stall on additional spending for a while. Emotionally, I feel totally at the bottom of the tank with my net worth and like I'll never get back to where I was, much less where I once wanted to go. So spending is the last thing I want to do. 123. compile email lists for announcement of my new email and a workshop. Done 131-133. Bid, win, Done pay for Macbook 15 inch laptop on Ebay done . Checking on shipping today. 135. Submit application by due date (6/30). 136. Apply for home-based fulltime gig suited for me.Done 137. Apply for postdoc fellowship in SF CA. Longshot do decent enough app. but don't spend lots of time. Today 138-139. Learn about and use CSS on my web site. started 140-149. Make ten adjustments to web site. [remaining 1 2 3 4 5 6] 150. Look through simple elegant web site forum, consider signing up. active 151-156. Type in two legal real estate descriptions of property inherited from dad. Done Proof and make changes. [remaining steps: 1] 167 Open powerpoint for workshop and get to work started 172. write reviews of two movies as blog entries Done 181. Cut hair. Today 182. Reiki for me. Today 183. Attend networking dinner. Today L
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Thanks, Lynx. I will Google it and report back. Just had an informative Alexander lesson. We talked a lot about my reactions to certain decisions and what kinds of emotions the situations are triggering. It helped. Based on that, my steps for the rest of the day: 1. Defer "awkward decision" until tomorrow. Turn the matter over to my subconscious in the meantime. 2. Continue to focus on resting due to cough. 3. Make a decision on whether to teach by 1:45 pm today. 4. 30 minutes on teleconference goals - do whatever I can, and set up new goals for next time. 5. Reading: Reframe/NLP, etc. Back later today, -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Lynx »

Heya, I'm keeping close to on track. One key feels like holding off on putting my best time of day onto other people's agendas (condo stuff, paying bills, arranging appointments). I do a lot better respecting myself enough to fit my best efforts to my best time of day. Which is? Immediately upon awakening (a drag here due to morning routines like breakfast with significant other). But after that for a few hours is primo. Later if I can sneak a nap I get a big second block of good time. 131-133. Bid, win, Done pay for Macbook 15 inch laptop on Ebay done . Checking on shipping today. 135. Submit application by due date (6/30). 138-139. Learn about and use CSS on my web site. started 140-149. Make ten adjustments to web site. [remaining 1 2 3 4 5 6] 150. Look through simple elegant web site forum, consider signing up. active 151-156. Type in two legal real estate descriptions of property inherited from dad. Done Proof and make changes. [remaining steps: 1] 167 Open powerpoint for workshop and get to work started 181. Cut hair. Done 182. Reiki for me. Done 183. Attend networking dinner. Done 184. Send thank you note to dinner organizer. Done 185. Catch recycling truck with overflow. Done 186-200. catch up on email. delete returns and "removes." etc. Today 201. post here. Done L

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

wow, thanks for all the kudos everyone! I've just started spanish class this week - 15 hours in classroom plus study time plus worktime means not much time! oy! Nevertheless, here are some accomplishments: I sat in two spanish classes (muchos hours!) to figure out who the best teacher was, and the best class. I decided to go with the morning class. fortunately the morning teacher is excellente! and she also signed my add card. :) yay. I finally got in the admissions and records line to get my add class task done, and I mentioned offhandedly ;) and newbie ish that I probably have to drop the other spanish class online, right? fortunately for me, the admissions woman did it for me herself. yay! (I was concerned there might be a conflict since they were both spanish classes and didnt want to accidently be dropped from the good class too). luckily the line today was very short (comparatively). I picked up my prescriptions today. I cat sat for the last day. aw. I'll miss my kitty buddies. and all those healthy walks to their house from the bus stop! I've been emailing a few people about buying their registration for the harry potter conference. I'm waiting and waiting for them to reply. I even tried making low offers to give myself practice at negotiating prices. But now I'm working on resolving the registration quickly so I can get everything settled before the deadline. I took my first test in Spanish. I'm pretty sure I passed. I know I made a few small errors. If I get all A's on the tests I wont have to take the final, but I'm trying to not stress myself out about that. All I have to do is pass. C or higher and I'm great. I just have to survive the pressure and complete the class. Better to survive than quit. I did ~8 hours of 36 pages of spanish homework before and after working 8 hours yesterday. I got a bit overwhelmed but I kept working and I'm really proud of that. I was in considerable physical pain, so I just have to say, wow. I still worked in that much pain. good job for me. Oh! I asked a friend if she'd like to catsit for me when I'm on my trip and she said yes. yay! so the catsitter is settled. I am so very, very excited about my harry potter conference. I definitely know I made the right choice to go! yay. I went thrift shopping and got wizards robes for the conference and a few other lovely things (all for $21) I cant remember all I did this week, but it was impressive, let me tell you. as for my Happy Plan, I've been getting some of my pills but not all of them. today I did better and remembered to take my multivitamin. just working for long term progress and such. I have definitely been getting out everyday before noon and walking everyday. havent done any weight training though and my body is hurting a lot. it is a lot harder now that I'm in school. I'm feeling the pressure, guilt, worry, and stress and it's really hitting my body hard. when i get stressed, my body goes into complete pain and it's been tough to manage. Plus it's intensive to be learning a language, to be spending so many hours in class then having to do more at home in study, and I have been really exhausted. I think I'll build up the strength both mentally and physically over time. this is just an adjustment period. I just definitely need to remember that taking care of my body is not optional, it's critical that that is my priority. it wont be fun otherwise. management of stress, goals, and perspective is key. somehow. must learn that as well as what to learn in the classroom.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Hi everybody, I've been enjoying the progress people are making and sure wish I could get going with the numbered goals. Anyhow, I've gotten some minor and one major goal accomplished:
    Finished another good chunk of my curriculum development over last week-end. Have to finish whatever I'm going to do this week end for the deadline. I got my recumbent adult trike today! Yay :D I've taken a couple of trial rides this week and it's absolutely wonderful! I discovered a little lake that was just beyond my usual walk and enjoyed watching the ducks. Oh, to have this bit of freedom. :D :D And to finally have this human powered vehicle after so many years of waiting. :!: :!:
Mannix, I responded to your post about the trip dilemma and was glad to get more background here. Hate to see that you're dealing with some insensitive jerks and now hope you will be able to make the trip alone. More later... dani

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all! I've been away from the boards a few days. Hope everyone is doing well. Mannix do you still have a cold? Is it getting any better? Have you considered herbal remedies? My voice teacher is heavily into that kind of thing and recently recommended a few treatments that she told me were really effective. The cold symptoms I was having at the time went away by themselves, but I will certainly give the "herbal approach" a try next time I get a cold. Maybe it's something you could look into. Just a thought. I've decided to stop numbering my steps and trying to post each and every day. I knew it would happen. It's just the way I am. I can't do the same thing at the same time each and every day. It doesn't fit with my personality and my lifestyle. I think I'm better off setting goals at the beginning of the month and posting here frequently, without the pressure that I need to post everyday. Anyways, most of the time when I don't post, it's because I'm too busy pursuing my goals, not because I goofed off! So what have I been up to lately? - Voice training - Songwriting - Exercising - Went to see another mind-blowing concert of experimental music. This time I dragged the drummer of my band with me and I am glad I did. She was as blown away as me and she told me it gave her some ideas for some of the songs we are writing. - Been exercising regularly too, however I spend less time at the gym these days because the exercises my voice teacher has been giving me actually give me a good physical workout! It's really a different approach than I have learned in the past from my other teachers. Kill two birds with one stone as they say.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, I am making progress on my cold recovery, but it's slow. I have enough energy to keep appointments, get some things done around the house, but I have to take naps. Last night, I didn't sleep very well and my cough is back worse than it's been in a couple of days. So I will probably only do the necessary errands this morning and come back home. One interesting thought/feeling I've been having is some anxiety over completely recovering! After all, when I'm completely recovered, I'll have to go back to doing tasks around the clock, won't I? :) Very interesting ... Dani, thanks for your good wishes. If you saw my other thread, you saw what the decision was. It does amaze me how accepting I was of this demand. I think I've grown up dealing with many similar situations, and the message that I have to deal with them, even if they're not my problem. -- Mannix