150 Steps In June

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Interesting Steps

Post by Lynx »

Mannix: One interesting thought/feeling I've been having is some anxiety over completely recovering! After all, when I'm completely recovered, I'll have to go back to doing tasks around the clock, won't I? :) Very interesting ... That's it! The very first message of a Reframe (NLP)! What you do next is lie very still and register to yourself what no signaling from your body feels like. Next ask: I would like to talk a bit with the part that signaled this message about doing tasks around the clock. Please signal somehow if you're willing to talk. [Then wait and feel, listen, watch internally what your body responds with.] Next question: I (felt, saw, heard) X? If that's the signal please repeat it. Next: Are you doing something for me that's positive for my life? Please increase for yes, decrease for no. Get this far and let me know. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Cell Hades

Post by Lynx »

Please type in your vkey/Pin Number: Awk! I have the pay as you go Virgin Mobile for the past 3 years. Even put a full year of service on it at once last summer to avoid the frequent trips in to top-up. Awoke Tuesday and needed to check for voice mail messages. Nothing connected. Phone info is a complete 000-000-0000. Of course to correct this we need our vkey/pin. Which it turns out we never had in the correct form. Never. We always topped up via Radio Shack, where we bought it in the first place. I think I have about $60 left on the last top up. This much is certain. Modern business life requires a cell phone. 2. VM has $60 of mine for services I can't receive. 3. The phone does not work. 4. VM claims it's can't do anything without the vkey. 6. We have the original receipts and the receipt for the top-up. After a frustrating day at Radio Shack and on the line via the toll number to VM, I said. Fine. I'll write the CEO a little note and send the phone to him. Maybe he can crack the policy and get me my money (or a phone with a vkey I can use with the $60 remaining). So I boxed up the phone, made copies of the receipts and sent it off yesterday. Then I get a call form a young man who instantly understood. He said the phone will probably reach him via the CEO's office and he'll take a look and see what he can do. Then he said, "I'd rather make good than having you continue with VM (told him I would probably get another VM phone/service due to their competitive pricing) with a bitter taste in your mouth. Wow, I said, great attitude. How come the rest of the company doesn't share it? He said, we're working on it. Probably twenty "steps" to nowhere and a wiped out day and a half. Back to my life. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps In June

Post by velvet »

Woah, Dani, a recumbent adult trike! how fun! I would rent one of those on vacation and absolutely love them. what does yours look like? I was just catching up on reading everyone's progress. keep up the good work! and I just did 4 loads of laundry. oh thank god, i really needed clean clothes. and made a big pot of black bean, carrot, tomato soup. so good! and so easy. and worked. yay! oh I got my registration today for the conference! woohoo! I paid $125 by buying it from someone who needed to sell (instead of $180). And I got a roommate for the conference, my age-ish, who looks cool. and it'll save me about $480 Lynx, hooboy cell phone problems! I'm glad to hear someone from Virgin mobile actually made a big difference. I do hope they improve their customer service all around, though. hassles like that are amongst the hoops we must jump through, I suppose. oh! I did see you'd changed the title to one post to 'velvet steps' - I saw it after i posted as I scrolled up to see what everyone was up to. what a surprise. hehe. Jane you really inspire me with your many ways you pursue your music love. I always love hearing what you are doing - it is so very affirming of why we are here on this board talking about our goals. :) I havent done any homework and I feel pretty dreadful about it. it's hard to wrap my brain around schoolwork again. when there is just so much of managing life stuff. it's all in the balancing act, I guess. I'm working out how to balance again.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Count-Down to the Beach Trip

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, The beach trip is still a few days away but I'm going to officially adopt the vacation mind-set now. I have a few chores to do before I go, but completing them will be the only requirement of the day. The next requirement is to relax, enjoy myself, and only do what I feel like doing. Did a gig yesterday and realized I'm more in need of this break than I thought. We were contracted to play until 6:30pm and at some point I started thinking we were finished at 6:00pm. So I started announcing to the other players that it was almost 6:00 and it was time to play our customary finales. I also marveled at how fast the playing time was going! Everyone else kind of looked at me gently. Then I remembered we had 30 minutes to go. :roll: Next I set the count for one piece, then somehow changed it during the piece and got completely lost. We had to start over again! :oops: Fortunately, the guests were drinking and talking so no damage done. I think this mega-cold (which is weaker but still alive!) has really sapped my physical and mental energy! OK, steps from now until we leave: 1. Finish paying bills for June. 2. Pack. Be sure to pack instruction manual for my laptop so I can use the new wireless Internet at parents' house. 3. Attend country line-dancing class Sunday night. :) 4. Bank: Get money for trip. 5. Call sister and set up departure time for Tuesday morning. Decide what route to take (get off the boring Interstates for at least part of the trip). 6. Since I will now be home Monday, call about the two cats we are thinking of adopting and arrange a first visit Monday night. 7. Set up "150 Steps in July" thread! (Already?) Note to self: Postpone resumption of exercise goal until I return from the beach. "Exercise goal" at the beach will simply be to do activity as I feel like it. More comments later. Have a good day, everyone! -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Comments & Responses for Others

Post by Mannix »

Hello, again! Jane, sorry, I missed your comment earlier about the herbal remedies for my cold. Frankly, that may be the only option left since I've been taking OTC cold medicine for so long it doesn't do anything for me. Fortunately, the cold is going away so I really don't need medicine anymore ... except for rest. :) I know what you mean about numbering steps ... I haven't been able to do that either. But accomplishing goals is the most important thing and you seem to be doing that! Velvet, way to go on your continued progress! Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't accomplish all you'd planned from time to time. You seem to be riding a great wave of momentum so congratulate yourself for maintaining that! Dani, I know you're enjoying those trike rides. The trip to the lake sounds like a lot of fun! Lynx, sorry about your cellphone situation but at least you got ahold of someone who seemed to care about your problem. That seems to be par for the course for customer service these days. First response: "Sorry, we can't do anything about that. It's your problem." If you can find your way to a higher-up who doesn't work in a call center, you have hope of finding someone who understands the problem and can do something about it. It is frustrating that the time-consuming burden of finding this person falls to ... the consumer.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

For Lynx: Response to Reframing Experiment

Post by Mannix »

Lynx wrote:What you do next is lie very still and register to yourself what no signaling from your body feels like.
Just doing this is a challenge for me at this stage. I'm trying something similar in my Alexander Technique study: laying in semi-supine position and resolving NOT to talk to myself. I can do it for a very short time, then the inner chatter starts again and I start thinking of other things.
Lynx wrote:Next ask: I would like to talk a bit with the part that signaled this message about doing tasks around the clock. Please signal somehow if you're willing to talk. [Then wait and feel, listen, watch internally what your body responds with.]
As I asked myself this question, my legs opened outward a bit (from semi-supine position).
Lynx wrote:Next question: I (felt, saw, heard) X? If that's the signal please repeat it.
Tried this and got the same reaction from my legs. I have to note that this has happened other times when I've been in semi-supine position. However, my Alexander Teacher has noted I carry tension in my legs and I do feel tense when I think of having to "work around the clock."
Lynx wrote:Next: Are you doing something for me that's positive for my life? Please increase for yes, decrease for no.
Got a wave of physical anxiety at the end of my semi-supine session. I concluded the session after that, but next time, if I get a similar reaction, I'll try to ride it and see if it increases or decreases. My Alexander Teacher and I have been talking about underlying fears. What is the fear underlying the need to "work around the clock?" Do I really have to do that? At this point in my life, I would say I do not. So why do I feel the need to do so? Perhaps because I believe people will think I'm a bad, lazy person if I don't demonstrate I work hard. I'll keep working on this over the next week and see if I get any more insights. -- Mannix

dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by dani »

Greetings and thanks for your interest in the recumben! This is my trike: http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm, in exactly the same color. I have been setting up goals and tasks in Outlook and getting things done. Better system than what I used in Word. Today I finished and turned in my fall curriculum to date. I have two offerings for fall; one is almost full and the other has very few enrollments. This brings up a question, especially for those of you still taking courses: would it make sense to e-mail the students enrolled in the smaller course and see if they're interested in transferring to the larger one? They would get a similar knowledge base and could use the books they've purchased as primary source material for their term projects. Plus, they'd have a more dynamic learning experience. I don't think I'd mind at all, but what do you think? It bothers me to limit myself to one course, but I'll also be taking a graduate course myself this fall and I don't relish having two courses along with that. Of course, most people do things like this all of the time, but I do have some limitations. Thanks, dani :)

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

June Last

Post by Lynx »

Hey, Mannix: Got a wave of physical anxiety at the end of my semi-supine session. ... My Alexander Teacher and I have been talking about underlying fears ... Ah, Mannix, this is when having someone who knows NLP there with you really helps. Notice how quickly some part did a double switch—gave you a dramatic feeling [anxiety] and got you into mental evaluation and negative labels [fears]. About as far away from positive and "in your behalf" as possible. If interested, private message me and we could set up a time to continue via the phone. Dani, about the course email, I would send the email. As someone who takes classes that I want (rather than mandatory) I appreciate getting into them when I'm in the mood, so if my options are sticking with a time and date and risk not filling a class vs going into a larger class that certain to run, I'd see if my schedule permitted the switch. L

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Sigh .... Got some news earlier this evening that my sister was in a car accident. (Not the one I'll be travelling with.) Haven't been able to get ahold of her or her family. No one really knows how serious the situation is. I'm trying to stay relaxed and take everything one hour at a time. As of now, we are still planning to leave for the beach in the morning. I'm going to spend one more hour on packing, then take a nice hot bath and get in bed. Lynx, thanks for the offer. I will think about it while I'm on my trip. OK, just heard from my sister. She's all right, but her car was totalled and her 2 kids were with her! They had to cut the door off her car to get her out (and use the jaws of life!) and my niece had to be taken out of the car on a board and my nephew was removed still strapped in his car seat. Niece had some cuts from the side window breaking and my sister has a lot of muscle soreness and is on vicadin. Everyone was checked out at the hospital and amazingly, no one was seriously hurt. Whew!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Last Progress Report for this Month

Post by Mannix »

1. Finish paying bills for June. - DONE 2. Pack. Be sure to pack instruction manual for my laptop so I can use the new wireless Internet at parents' house. - IN PROGRESS, FINISH TONIGHT AND TOMORROW MORNING 3. Attend country line-dancing class Sunday night. - DONE 4. Bank: Get money for trip. - DONE. 5. Call sister and set up departure time for Tuesday morning. Decide what route to take (get off the boring Interstates for at least part of the trip). - DONE. 6. Since I will now be home Monday, call about the two cats we are thinking of adopting and arrange a first visit Monday night. - DONE (*Lady seemed reluctant to have us over. Wants to wait another week. Is she having second thoughts?) 7. Set up "150 Steps in July" thread! (Already?) - DONE For next month: Find lost cellphone or take steps to buy a new one. :evil: Greatest Knowledge Gem for June: When I get past the fear that I will be criticized for failure, my curiosity awakens and I'm ready to try something new rather than hide from it. See you all in July! -- Mannix

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

Mannix, thanks so much for the encouragement. Sometimes keeping one's eyes on the goal can mean we (ok, at least I) cant see our progress. You were perfectly right - forward moving progress has actually been quite successful. Win! In somewhat frustrating news, I had an overdraft charge on my checking account. Woops. It's alright, it's covered by my savings. I deposited two paychecks the day *after* the overdraft happened. oy. I wasnt exactly keeping track of my spending. I usually just make sure there's money in there, am careful about spending, but I wonder if the new monthly charges I signed up for are just too complicated for me. Maybe I'll turn those off and buy a different sort of product. I'll think about it. (does an overdraft that is covered by savings hurt my credit rating or anything?) I did well in Spanish class. I figure every class I sit through is an accomplishment. Even get points for talking to new friends on my social interaction goals. we had a pop quiz, I passed. :) (it was a pass/fail, if you did reasonably good, you passed). I made a vision board! it makes me smile. I've got quotes about gratitude on it, pictures of things that make me happy, and goals. It feels good. I did a tiny bit of homework this morning. need to do more tonight. I am feeling incredible exhaustion that has been going on for a few weeks, as well as some pretty excruciating pain. I guess my goal this week is to set an acupuncture appointment - that should help with the pain. And do weight lifting 2 times this week. 3 times would be icing on the cake. I havent really talked about this anywhere, just been trying to carry on as much as possible.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

June Plus a Day

Post by Lynx »

Mannix, miracles of miracles that your sister and her kids survived as well as they did. All those pesky government imposed safety features—seat belts, car seats, safety glass even—did their jobs! Did get an application out on the 30th/been lingering on my list for a long time. Did little tweaks along the way and was able to add my homepage and new email because I got those up an going between putting this on my list and sending it off. Making great strides on my understanding of CSS/basic web page construction. I'm keeping it very simple (as are my skills) and see what I'm inspired to add. Sort of a co-goal, but my partner took the lead and got our green Toyota station wagon "tattooed" with a pair of frogs and a floral design around the driver's side front turn signal. Tres cool. Todday, 7/1/08, is the exact mid-point of the year, 183 days gone, 183 to go. L

velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by velvet »

HI all, I made the deadline on buying a ticket to wizard rock last night. whew! I was in my 5th Spanish class today (out of 18 classes in six weeks, each class is 4+ hours long with no breaks). Actually today was a bit smoother and a little easier, so that feels like an accomplishment, too. Not just sitting in the class but beginning to be less stressed about it and realizing I am understanding probably more than I think I do. Actually I can now overhear spanish around me and pick out words I recognize. Being just a tiny bit less stressed is really good for me. I've also been taking ibuprofen regularly rather than just suffering in pretty strong pain. That has helped. Today I didnt feel quite as exhausted as usual! Oh that is such a relief. My spanish teacher today complained about always the same people raising their hands to answer questions. It was me with my hand up again. heh. I understand, she wants others to participate in the class (ok, then, I've got my class participation points already earned), naturally. I just volunteer often because I want to learn and I'm willing to try. :) yay me. (but yes, I'll not raise my hand every time, I'll count to 20 or something, or write down my answer for practice). (I'm so hermione! sheesh). Does it count if I added a bunch of wizard rockers to my friends list? I'm wanting to hear their music before my trip so I know who I like best so I can choose who to watch (bands will be playing simultaneously), and so I can sing along with the best songs. :) I've got 14 friends so far (friend requests pending for some more bands). I'm starting to really, really love this community and feel a part of it. Just exactly what I wanted. :) I've been doing a bit of yoga to help relieve the pain and remembering to take my vitamins and supplements that help with energy. And I am really proud of how I have been functioning even though I was tired, in pain, and not so well. I am pretty strong after all.