150 Steps in July

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

150 Steps in July

Post by Mannix »

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps in July

Post by jewelB »

I'd like to jump back into this thread, for the month of July, anyway ! :D I'll have to give my goals a little more thought, but I'll start with one: Sign up as a PayPal merchant. more later. . . jewelB

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

Happy Canada Day! I start the month again with deep gratitude for this list, and for knowing how well it helps me keep track of myself, and how supportive it is. goals for july: 1 bike/walk more - less car 2 correspond - regular letters to grandparents 3 personhood - stay in my own skin, move, food, contemplation 4 nia - learn new routines, personal development of practice 5 wonder - opening and watching how partnership dance develops 6 track money - know how much i have, what i need to do with it, where do i really want to use it? 7 garden - love it up, keep it tidy, eat what i grow 8 work - be responsible, on time, pay attention 9 balance - ha! all of the above in balance with fun and laze and sun and popsicles and cookies 10 post - and respond to other posters, daily is the goal!

concentrate
New User
New User

Post by concentrate »

Hi folks, I'm new to the site and a big fan of Wishcraft. This sounds like a great place to start. My goal is to finish my murder mystery. So I'm committing to 15 minutes of writing a day, or thirty-one periods of 15 minutes each, when I'll write. Maybe I'll write longer some days and not at all others. I'll have to figure out what to work on for my other 119 steps. Good luck to us all! Mary

Frances
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Frances »

I want to have a blog with a minimum of one post up by the end of the month. Steps so far ... 1. Chose a name for a blog and registered the domain name online. 2. Researched food related forums for postings regarding my particular niche. 3. Looked at a similar site with a different angle for ideas on monetizing my blog.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

7+1=08

Post by Lynx »

Hello, Always fun to see new enthusiasts. Welcome all, and lurkers, come on in, the support here rocks. Last month I tried numbering my goals and I went. It was interesting to see how quickly they added up. Had zero paid work for the month. That allowed time to rest, enjoy the summer and get a start on my blog and web sites. Finding that the more mellow, chill, relaxed I get the more those little completion actions slip away. Like putting the milk back in the fridge. Like putting away tools and such. Have to extend something to reach that far. This month: definitely need work, so more of whatever I need to do so it falls my way. It's a magical process, and I try not to mess with the magic. Get my web site posted. Streamlined and simple. Mix it up a lot with people. I've accepted an invite for a biznik meeting tomorrow. I might drop by and watch the tennis meet-up before going to a Mac users group. Also, there's free summertime music, free Saturday house, and several free workshops people are putting on to promote themselves. I'm waiting for two hard drives I just bought on Ebay to arrive, then back up my latest computer. Then dump all my old files in one hard drive. That will take a while. Get to some movies. Work on my book. No set schedule, but once I pick it up again I want to stay on it steadily till it's done. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

1.1 rode bike to friends' house 2.3 worked at doing AT all evening at friends' house 3.5 talked about rel'shp with friend 4.7 watered garden 5.6 didn't spend any money today 6.10 posting 7.2 wrote email back to my friend 8.3 napped Hey Lynx, I like the proverb at the end of your post! Hi concentrate and welcome.

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Hi All - Glad to see new and some of my old fave steppers here! I'm back from the land-of-spotty-internet-access. Climbing into this here saddle again... glad to be back! It's been quite a road to get back here - let me tell you - without anyone to cheer me on and getting to brag about it here. Whew! I really appreciate you guys, this success thread - this forum! OK, my goals for this month are: 1.Set up my new Honoka'a house, office and support system to work for me. (Already found a great car, a stunning house in a perfect location and got the DSL ordered and the phone turned on!) 2. Decide what needs to get paid before what - and which can be deferred. Keep money-making scene going. Open more opportunities. (That first and last that had to get put out for the new place to live hurt the old Capricornian finance dept. Now the purse strings have to be tightened or more money has to be made.) 3. Get essential stuff that I can get back from b/f...(long story that I should bitch about elsewhere.) 4. Break up with b/f OR decide if I'm going to reinvest in the relationship. (He's decided I'm not his investor, sponsor, defender, attorney or adviser. Somehow my helpfulness has turned into me being his Mother! ARrrgh, what was women's liberation about anyway? My culture is still so...sexist.) 5. Sell my SUV second car - whether b/f cleans and fixes it or not - by July 25th. 6. Find five new Alexander Technique private students. (Already found one!) 6.5 Set up new Alexander Technique class space. 7. Get a "good enough" job near where I live now. 8. Make friends with some new neighbors. 9. Walk or swim every day. 10. Practice the array mbira and piano every day - or at least three times a week. 11. Visit and collect on trades for fun and my personal educational enrichment.. OK - that's my list for this month - I'm sure that I'll revise it, but so far, so good.

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Ann-Marie - love your exercising kitty - have you seen? http://icanhascheezburger.com/

Frances
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Frances »

More steps ... 4. Wrote 154 words for a cookbook review. 5. Began writing a reference list of questions to ask myself when writing cookbook reviews - 119 words. 6. Spent some time looking at other cookbook reviews online at Amazon for ideas on what to comment on.

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

9.2 emailed friend 10.1 walked everywhere 11.3 yesterday was such a good day of staying in my own skin! got out my art supplies and started using 12.3 invited over nieces to help distract from the grouchies 13.3 talked about essentials with bf 14.10 posting today 15.8 was responsible in my worklife yesterday 16.7 loved up the garden 17.3 ate a meal from the garden 18.5 giving space and time for things to develop with bf, rather than rushing to decide anything. An8el, nice to see you here again, good luck with finding the 5 AT clients...well 4 now...I hope that happens quickly and easily for you. Hey Frances, what's your food niche?

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

I'm just going to keep listing my original goals and then what I did about them... we can do this any way we want here, right? 1.called someone who's selling their office stuff - they said they'd call me back and make a time for me to come get some of that stuff. Met a friend in town today who said she knew some rich people who are moving this month and need to get rid of dining table and chairs - maybe a score! 2. Went over and made a list of stuff that needs to get paid this month. Checked and bank balance is enough to pay back the person I borrowed deposit for new place from - cool. Now all I need is his address of where to send the stuff. 3. Made list of stuff for b/f to look for - I'm sure that he's dumpstered most of it. 4. Gave b/f a date that he needed to sell my car that he's using. He freaked out, as predicted. Now the next strategy is to get him to take these little bite-sized steps toward autonomy. I bought him a "magic jack" so he can have his own voicemail and phone using the internet instead of having to fight with his roommates about using their phone. 5. Sell my SUV b/f is using by July 25th - gave b/f a deadline. Don't know if I'm going to enforce it. Demanded that he send me the link for the part we need to get to fix the driver's side door handle. He hasn't done it yet, so I'm going to reiterate what I want him to do and walk him through how to do it - he says he doesn't know how to copy and paste a link. Sounds like a stall tactic to me. 6. Find five new Alexander Technique private students. Talked to one of my past students on the phone and found out why he's not called back for lessons - he's been badly ill. Taught a great Alexander lesson today with my one student. Noticed that the health food store still has my poster up with my old phone numbers - Intend to update those numbers. 6.5 Set up new Alexander Technique class space - found out about Adult Ed spot on a poster. 7. Get a "good enough" job near where I live now. - noticed "help wanted" sign - figured how much money I actually need to make. Now I'm in a position to know whether the job that's offered is going to pay enough to bother to take it. 8. Make friends with some new neighbors. - met a woman walking to the Farmer's market in town named Catherine. Talked with my roommate some more today who is so often gone. 9. Walk or swim every day - walked around Waimea town after running into my juggling friend. 10. Practice the array mbira - played for an hour last night. 11. Visit and collect on trades...nothing

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Self-Evident?

Post by Lynx »

July 4 Greetings. I tried the numbered-list thing last month. Sort of fun, and it actually gave me a bit of a kick in the rear to see something sticking around too long. Here goes ... 1-30. My condo is showing it's madness again. This is going to tie up a lot of emotion, time, and activity. 31. send invoice from June (today or Sunday). 32-131. Get to web page, write, tweak, post (100 times, 90 left). 132-143. Follow-up as necessary with members of my business network. (12 x/10 left) 143-160. Write powerpoint presentation. 18x/18 left. 160-170. List and track down interesting web sites annotated in Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky. 11x/10 left. 171. Go to first live lunch time concert of the summer Monday to get in the "mood." 172-181. Find every scrap of draft of book, lay it out, sort, access what to do next. 10x/10 left. 181-200. Exceed expectations (if i can keep them damped) for two new clients. Promise low, produce high. 201-202. Complete last two sessions of workshop on an idea tracking system. Looks like we have about eight semi-regulars here. Let me know if I left you out ... Jewel B Ann Marie Concentrate Frances Lynx Mannix An8el JaneB Bye, Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Frances
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Frances »

Wow, everyone's been so busy! No steps today for me today, just checking in so I don't lose the daily habit. Today was busy at work and mum's birthday dinner so no free time. However tomorrow I'm going to a cafe with a friend so we'll see what comes of that. Ann Marie - my food niches is ingredient substitutes.

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

19.1 these don't really count, as i am using my car less because it's in the shop, but I did ride my bike everywhere today 20.3 danced up a storm last night and tuckered out the limbs 21.5 have agreed to go away for three days with new bf, yikes 22.6 since i haven't had my car to go galivanting around in at the merest whim, i have spent way less moola. 23. 7 watering the garden right now, and ate raspberries from it this morning 24.10 posting today 25.9 in terms of balance, not quite managing this on the studying front, but final exam is tomorrow, and last assignment due as well, so that will cease to be an issue soon. see ya' tomorrow!