150 Steps in July

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in July

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Broke through some resistance this weekend. I went back and looked at plans for a trip to Chicago for hubby and me. I really enjoyed the research - it was like being there already. Why was I resisting this stuff? The next step is going to figure out when we can go and for how long. I have to be careful not to let hubby activate my resistance again. He has a tendency to say things like, "How badly do you really want to go to the top of the Sears Tower?" Well, if I never did I suppose I'd survive, but based on that logic, we'll end up at "How badly do we want to go to Chicago?" and spend the rest of our lives in the living room! Don't know if I mentioned it but I put in a call to a local expert on D.C. subdivisions. I'm hoping to talk to him for my blog. I left a message for him Friday afternoon so I'm hoping he'll call back today. I was proud of myself for placing the call on Friday; even though I'd set aside Friday for horse-visiting day, I got one step closer to my goal for the blog. Still hitting that resistance wall on the decluttering front. Will try and do some today but I have students coming this afternoon and I need to get ready for that. May need to reschedule decluttering time again. Best news this weekend: I've been spending some time every day sitting in the basement so our new cats get used to me. They're coming around, but have so far been content to stay in the basement even though the door is open. Last night, I was having dinner and I heard a noise and there was one of the kitties! He'd been sneaking around upstairs after all! So he stayed and watched TV with me awhile. His brother is still happy to stay in the basement, though. Lynx, great job on the application and sympathies for the up and down days. I go through that myself. Best thing is to acknowledge you're in that mode and roll with the punches as much as you can. Setting the kitchen timer really helps me, as I know it does you. And I hope you can get things back on track with your partner. Is it possible for the two of you to get away for a day? An8el, good luck meeting buddies on Craigslist. I'll be interested to see how that goes. I'm still a bit old-fashioned when it comes to meeting people on line. Postscript: As I was typing I looked over and saw the other cat, Buster, walking around in the kitchen. So they've both been sneaking around up here! Have a good day, everyone -- Mannix

proudphoenix1
New Poster
New Poster

A little something to everyone

Post by proudphoenix1 »

Thanks for the welcome. A little something to everyone… An8el, I saw on your website that you’re an astrologer, among other things. I’m an astrologer myself, and while I’m aiming to get another social work job when I move to Denver (perhaps working in HIV, as I’m doing now), my hope is to transition to working full-time for myself as an astrologer in 2012. Ann Marie, I noticed that you garden and eat some of what you grow. What kind of garden do you have? I think it would be great to grow some of my own food. Maybe one of these years… Concentrate, how’s it going with the murder mystery that you’re writing? I’ve never written a novel, but I was considering writing a script for an online murder mystery. There’s a website, mydarksecret.com, on which people can play roles in other people’s scripts or submit their own. Frances, how are you making out with the blog that you’re starting? Good luck with that. Jane B, did I understand correctly that you work as a translator? If so, which language(s) do you work in? I used to work in a friend’s legal office, and I’d translate documents between Spanish and English. Given that I didn’t have a background in law, it was an adventure. JewelB, what sort of business do you have? Lynx, have you and your partner lived in Seattle long? If it weren’t for the relatively cloudiness there, I’d be moving to the Pacific Northwest this year instead of Denver. Have you enjoyed living there? Mannix, how soon do you expect to go to Chicago? I haven’t made it there yet, so you’ll have to let me know what I’m missing once you get back. Movingalong, how’s your job going? You mentioned that you have in mind to get a different (permanent) job later. What sort of job would you like to get? Shiral, what kind of novel are you writing? Starbaby, I read that you have a home management coach. I had never heard of a h.m. coach before. What does one do? Brian

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Brian-- Thanks for the shout out to me -- I've been the group loser this month! :D This is just my second post this month, and I've not reached my one posted July goal ! I am a speaker / workshop leader on a small scale (too small) which is why I want to add the paypal aspect to my website. To give myself a little credit, I am doing research, seeing what is out there for me to expand my reach. Thanks for asking!! --jewelB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Dullsville

Post by Lynx »

Hello Brian: Lynx, have you and your partner lived in Seattle long? If it weren’t for the relatively cloudiness there, I’d be moving to the Pacific Northwest this year instead of Denver. Have you enjoyed living there? We like living here. Less extreme temperature swing than anywhere else we've lived (New York and Louisiana). Green. We've gotten into wild harvesting medicines and food, and sometimes the owner isn't looking harvesting as well. I rode by a grape vine on my bike the other day and happened to see a couple in the driveway. I said I sampled the grapes in the fall (not that many I was careful to add) and they said to help myself since the place was his parents and they were around 90 years old! Maybe it was the grapes that brought them such longevity. About the suggestion to get a day away, I'll see what we might arrange. Thanks. The application is delivered. I'm gathering my chi to address my workshop and web site. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Brian, we're planning to go to Chicago in the Fall, tentatively. I picked Chicago as a travel-planning exercise because it's relatively easy to get to from here and there are a lot of things to do in the city. I've been to Chicago before and really liked it. I think I prefer it to New York. JewelB, can you take some time and add paypal to your website? It seems like that would be relatively easy and would give your goal a jump-start. Lynx, hope your energy levels are swelling! :) Less than a week to go before I meet with my teleconference buddy. I'm fighting resistance again today ("I'm too busy - I have a morning Alexander lesson and a lot of students this afternoon!") so I'm not sure I'm going to meet all my goals. :( But here's a status report: -- FITNESS: I've been meeting my cardio goal, but gained back those 3 pounds I lost. :evil: Haven't worked out in a couple days because my leg muscles are very sore. Planning to resume workouts tomorrow and I should still be able to meet cardio goal this week. I've also started doing more intense workouts (which explains the muscle soreness) so I guess I'll be patient on the weight-loss front. (Study of Alexander Technique seems to be helping prevent aches and pains. Yay!) -- CHICAGO: Figure out 3-5 attractions I'd like to see, and get husband to do the same. Check Chicago climate to see how late in the Fall we could go without freezing. -- DECLUTTER THE HOUSE: Cleared out some sections of the basement. Haven't done anything on the garage, which was the goal I set for July. -- BLOG: Steady progress inspired by some supportive comments! Haven't done anything on it for the past two days, though. Will make some phone calls today. OK, time to solider on. Have a good day, -- Mannix

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Well, I did it ! I'm now a paypal merchant! whee!! :D I'm still a ways from having payments actually made on my website but I've met my one stated goal for July ! thanks to both Mannix and proudphoenix1 for the encouraging nudge. Everyone is doing great things!! --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Quick Question

Post by jewelB »

Hey, I noticed that most folks aren't counting up their steps. . . not that there's anything wrong with that ! ( I sound like Seinfeld :lol: ) Does it present a problem to anyone if I do that? It's a real motivator for me, silly little thing that it is ! I guess I'm concerned that it'd be poor form. What do you think? --jewelB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, jewel, No, you can still play if you don't count steps. In fact, this thread used to be called "Step-by-Step," so you can think of it that way, too. I always say I'm going to count steps at the beginning of the month, and by the end I have no idea where I'm at. Glad you got your paypal account set up. -- Mannix

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

oops! I said that poorly. . . I'd like to count my steps. It energizes me to count them --jewelB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Oh, yes, I see what you're saying, now that I've read your post again. :oops: Count away! :)

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Proudphoenix - let's play being astrologers together! I have lots of fun at it. In fact, doing charts for the birthday of a 4yr.old tonight and his mom who are staying at my house. I mostly do it as a hobby, but my interests in astrology has brought me some of an income stream at certain times of my life. I think of it as where the psychologists were before psychology evolved as a pseudo-science. Guess it's time for a wrap-up... 1.Set up my new Honoka'a house, office and support system to work for me. did that well so far - still need to get the room divider up and painted - but that will happen soon. 2. Decide what needs to get paid before what - and which can be deferred. Keep money-making scene going. Open more opportunities. This is working pretty well, considering setbacks that happened this month. 3. Get essential stuff that I can get back from b/f... - did this OK. 4. Break up with b/f OR decide if I'm going to reinvest in the relationship. Decided not to reinvest because b/f is not being responsible. 5. Sell my SUV second car - whether b/f cleans and fixes it or not - by July 25th. Didn't do this because I didn't have the heart to repossess the car, despite lack of responsibility of b/f - he is working his ass off trying to get his life together. 6. Find five new Alexander Technique private students. - My one student signedn up for aother new round of lessons at least! 6.5 Set up new Alexander Technique class space. - Decided there is enough space in my new house for this - got a massage table for table lessons. 7. Get a "good enough" job near where I live now. - no job yet. 8. Make friends with some new neighbors. - have two new friends now! Advertised on craigslist and am having fun meeting some new guys. 9. Walk or swim every day. - well, walked every other day and swam at least once a week. 10. Practice the array mbira and piano every day - or at least three times a week. - fixed the piano key and played the mbira twice a week. 11. Visit and collect on trades for fun and my personal educational enrichment.. - didn't do this. Making time for my health needs to be more of a priority. OK so - I guess these things are going to mostly be on my list for August again... Thanks to all for your delightful indulgences, reporting abilities and attention to our collective progress!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

July Wrap-Up from Mannix

Post by Mannix »

Mannix wrote:Anyway, by the end of July, I will: 1. Do 3 hours (180 minutes) of cardio exercise per week and continue to eat healthfully MOST of the time. 2. Declutter 3 major areas in our garage. (To be used as a staging area for other sections of the house.) 3. Schedule a fun trip to Chicago in the Fall. 4. Finish the last week of the tape 4 exercise for "How to Live the Life You Love." (My blog on 1950s houses.) -- Mannix
Here's how I did: 1. I met my 180-minute cardio goal every week this month! :D But my weight has stayed the same. :( Dietary habits weren't bad, but I started eating out of anxiety over the month, especially yesterday. 2. Didn't do anything on decluttering the garage. I managed to schedule time for it on my calendar, then find other things that needed to be done with that time. I think I need someone to lead me by the hand through this whole process, and to think in smaller steps. This morning, I found FlyLady.net's baby steps and did a couple. It was very motivating and I already see results! Here's hoping I'll make more progress on this goal in August. 3. Chicago fun trip tentatively scheduled for some time between September 15 and October 30. After taking a look at Chicago hotel prices, we need to decide how long we can afford to stay and what we want to do the most while there. Interesting ... lots of resistance to this project, especially when I set a target date. 4. Completed tape 4 of "Live the Life You Love" (my blog). Saw resistance in some interesting forms, and saw it creep up where I didn't expect it. I'm planning to continue working on the blog. So we say good-bye to my favorite month. (sniff, sniff) Happy August 1, everybody! -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

One More Rant

Post by Mannix »

Well, I'm bummed. I thought I was supposed to have a meeting with my teleconference buddy this morning (Friday), but she had it down for next Tuesday. If I'd known that, I could have gone to visit the horses at the rescue organization this morning. Now it's too late for that. I am really bummed out, and a little mad at myself. I seem to be getting confused on appointment dates more often than before. Of course, she could have written down the wrong day as well. I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Grrrrr.... :evil:

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Bye July

Post by Lynx »

It's 8/1 already. I think I did well with the surprise application in July. Actually, it's been useful twice already as I've passed along the content to two potential clients. Connections racking up, people listen and then pass along my info or connect me with someone. Yesterday finally figured out how to keep track of it all! Thrilling breakthrough. Blog slowly getting content as I find the motivation. Condo process a big mess. Get used to it. Website is really moving along. As I figure something out I upload it. Getting a bit of the hang of CSS in Golive, and this is making a big difference. Maybe two or three more things and I'll be complete for this round. Getting ready for my workshop tomorrow has permitted me the change to promote like crazy. This had generated lots of re-connections, one book order, several meetings and an offer to re-run it for pay (not much). Went to a networking event on funding for entreprenuers. One presenter made a point that shot through me: we were meeting at Nordstrom's headquarters. There would be a host there from the company. He asked how many did your homework? Nobody. How many stores did Nordstrom's have? 108, growing two or three more by the end of the year. Employees: 55,000. How did you become a vendor? It' all online. Wow. Later he told me privately it takes at least two hours per company. This concept is so extensible. His name is Michael Synn and if you YouTube (sp?) his name you will find all his presentations there. I'm definitely felt like I'd sneaked in. My values don't go mainstream (more towards fundamental corrections), so jokes about basketball and the auction of a signed baseball left me to my private thoughts. "You must be at the cutting edge of technology..." Yawn. Afterwards shared thoughts with someone I'd met at the meeting to learn about that surprise application. From her I got her style of connecting to insiders. She has a big head start as she used to work inside this particular governmental body. Clocks out, see you In August. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel