150 Steps in July

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps in July

Post by An8el »

It's already Sunday and where is everyone? Ah, forgot it's a h o l i d a y weekend, everyone is hanging out with the family, on a barbeeQ, important party, etc... Well, just had to brag that I've just gotten a job teaching Alexander Technique for a voice class on short notice - tomorrow bright and early! :D Turns out I'm needed to be substituting for a mis-scheduling problem at a big music workshop that going on all this month. This outfit has a resident Alexander teacher who they imported from the mainland, but they're workin' her too hard. A few days ago, (as soon as I got the internet access together,) I had the foresight to let them know that a local Alexander Technique teacher exists (me!) who can teach a class on short notice. So here I am - the 8) white knight! I'm so happy because the students are a local vocal group who may want to have me to continue teaching them when the workshop is over if it's possible for them to recognize the value of what I'm about to show them. Who knows, I may get those extra private students in my goal of 4 more this month... More later on the rest of my objectives...

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, I'm back from my 5-day trip to the beach. We had a 10-hour trip home yesterday and I think my brain is still somewhere by the sea. I haven't set up goals for this month yet. They'll probably be similar to the ones I'm working on with my teleconference buddy. One thing I want to do is keep better track of monthly goals as the month progresses. Welcome, all new steppers! And now to peek at my calendar to see what appointments I have today, if any. (I'm afraid to look! :) ) Happy July! -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Argh! I just can't seem to get going this morning! I have 3 students scheduled for this afternoon and the house is a mess. But I just want to sit around and veg. Anyone else having problems with post-holiday withdrawal?

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Yeah, I'm experiencing withdrawal. Mostly because I tried to ignore it. Miserable idea, ignoring a holiday - I won't try it again. Well, not until Christmas probably.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

An8el, I hope your withdrawal lifts soon. Maybe you can create your own holiday between now and Christmas? :) OK, tomorrow I need to set up some STRUCTURE. Now that vacation time and my cold have passed, I'm starting to get that overwhelmed feeling. I usually respond to it by doing nothing and that's what happened this evening. Tomorrow I will set up specific goals and prioritize what needs to get done first. Hope everyone had a great day, Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Jumped Steps

Post by Lynx »

Hey Seems my glide days are past. Went to a county meeting for applying for the chance to get hired later. As serious as for college. Due the 24th. Guess what leads my todo/willdo lists? Did manage to network among the other vendor wannabees (or continue to bees). I was the most outspoken, asking questions, doing things a bit differently. Not worth a dime, of course, but I've gotta be me! L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, Lynx, good luck with your applications. What a drag to have to push yourself in the middle of summer. I, meanwhile, have been looking up information on what happened to the stars of the "Mission: Impossible" TV series. (For those interested, Peter Lupus is launching a talk show.) And, yes, I do have other things I should be doing. :wink: In between visits to Google and YouTube, I did manage to organize my steps for the rest of the month. With my current mood, I guess that's a pretty good success! I've also listed the steps in a separate document so I can do a better job of keeping track of monthly progress. Anyway, by the end of July, I will: 1. Do 3 hours (180 minutes) of cardio exercise per week and continue to eat healthfully MOST of the time. 2. Declutter 3 major areas in our garage. (To be used as a staging area for other sections of the house.) 3. Schedule a fun trip to Chicago in the Fall. 4. Finish the last week of the tape 4 exercise for "How to Live the Life You Love." (My blog on 1950s houses.) I have other "sipping" projects I'll try to squeeze in as well. This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Good luck, everyone! :D -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi all, I've been playing hooky from this board (ha ha ha). I also went into a bit of a slump at the beginning of the month of July. Not so much urgent translation with everyone on vacation, so I kind of goofed off. Right now things are really busy, though. Several gigs with both of my bands till July 25th, so many rehearsals, planning the logistics of shows, etc. etc. added to my usual work schedule and practice routines. Just want to say hi to the other "semi-regulars" and join them in welcoming the new steppers. Trying to catch up with everyone's posts. - Mannix, good luck with getting out of the slump. You just made me realize I haven't touched "Live The Life You Love" in months. Will try to get back to that once things slow down at the end of the month. - An8el, just wanted to say congrats for your Alexander Technique break. It seems like a great opportunity to help you reach your goal. Also good luck with the boyfriend situation. I've been feeling a bit disappointed with myself since yesterday. My roommate made me realize I've been acting like an a$$ towards her. I kind of knew it already, she just confirmed it yesterday and we had a bit of a talk. The bottom line is that every time she has an idea my instinct is to go against it. I won't outright tell her "this idea sucks", but I'll ask her questions about it in a tone that demonstrates my reserve. Then sometimes after such a discussion I will make a concession, often half heartedly. I hate having this attitude. My roommate is very present in my life. Apart from the fact that we live together, we are also in a band together and she is one of my best friends. We deal with each other every day. My attitude is probably due to an accumulation of many things (not to mention it's that time of the month :oops: ) and I want to find a healthy way to deal with whatever is bothering me. That will be my main goal this month. Thanks for listening and any feedback. On a happier note, yesterday I got a call from a potential translation client who might have some interesting work for me. She is a lady who creates board games. She has just released a board game in French, but she is working on a second and wants it to be bilingual, therefore she has sollicited my services. We are meeting tomorrow for coffee.

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Welcome back on board Jane. Yeah, with only me and you and Mannix here, I'm starting to feel like I'm taking over the thread when I check up to post every day. So I skipped a few days myself. Does that mean we're helping each other pay hooky? Got a little serendipity tip money helping out my previous landlady getting her computer to access the internet yesterday. Always nice to make a little money and do something nice for someone who has done nice things for me. I probably shouldn't have accepted the money, but I needed it. I guess it meant that she would also give me a good reference as a tenant if I ever asked also. OK, still corresponding with b/f and read the book "how to get your lover back" which had some really good advice in it. Not sure that I want him back, as he qualified as "damaged" even though we do get along spendidly when there is enough money. Wrote another two posts on my AT blog; content for it was inspired by the wonderful students in the workshop class that I substitute taught for on Monday. Wrote out the bill for the class, today I'm sending it off at the post office. Collected some of the student's email addresses at the workshop to send them the link to check it out. Thought about starting a weekly or twice monthly newsletter to help remind my A.T students that I exist and give them a free reminder to use what they have learned in lessons. Figure that I already have plenty of fodder for what to put into it. Would like to know how other people do newsletters - is there a newsletter service that I can join that will send prior newsletters out in order once people sign up on a weekly basis? That strikes me as a great idea, but it would be hell to keep track of where everyone is uniquely in the sequence! OK, that's enough for now, don't like to make these posts toooo long.

starbaby
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by starbaby »

Hi Everyone, I am jumping back in the step game! I have been MIA for the last 2-3 months, after my 2nd son was born.... which really threw me for a LOOP!! I had no idea how hard going form one child to two would be, but I think I am getting a handle on it, one pamper at a time! Anyway, I am going to list all of the things I have done... towards my main goal right now, which are fixing up my apartment, being a good mother, restarting my photography career and creating a good life --- all pretty vague, but I will be able to get clearer as time goes on and I accomplish more. So as of today towards my 150: 1. Hired a nanny 2 days a week. 2. Had new floors installed in the front half of the apartment. 3. Went to dermatologist and had mole removed, and biopsy came back normal. 4. Had appointment with midwife. 5. Sold Razr on Craigslist and made $80 6. Sold desk, and dishes, silverware... making $300! 7. Hired a cleaning woman. 8. Got in touch with a friend who needed support. 9. Am working with a home management coach via email and phone... for free :D 10. Cashed in some points and received $20 Starbucks gift cards.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, I'm resisting again. It's sort of a pleasant state because mentally I'm still in the beach/vacation routine. Got a ton of stuff to do -- catching up on things I let slide while I was sick and then away. But my mind doesn't want to hear about it. Guess I'll do what Barbara suggests and exercise my right to refuse. It's kind of frustrating to come home from a vacation, supposedly refreshed, and run right into resistance. Hmm. Looking for advice on a cat situation. We've been in touch with a lady who's trying to find a home for her two cats. They are brothers and need to be placed together. She had said that they are very affectionnate. But when I talked to her today about meeting them, she said something about seeing them in the bathroom so they wouldn't run away. They're freaking out around strangers these days, according to her. That sent up a red flag with me. Our last cat was very sweet and outgoing with everyone and that's the one thing I want our new cats to be ... especially with students coming in and out of the house. My plan now is to set up at least one visit so hubby and I can see for ourselves, and maybe see if our last cat's vet has any advice. Oh, I did get something done today! I did some cardio exercise for 45 minutes, so that means I've done 85 minutes so far this week. (Goal = 180 minutes.) That makes me feel better. I'll respond to others in the next post. -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Comments for the Gang

Post by Mannix »

Hello, again, Starbaby, welcome back! Glad you are getting everything settled with your second child. I was interested in your home management coach. What specific things does he/she help you with? An8el, re your newsletter question, why not just start subscribers with the latest issue once they sign up? Then, if they are interested in individual "back issues," they can request them. Maybe you could create a list of summaries for the older newsletters and post it with your blog. "My attitude is probably due to an accumulation of many things (not to mention it's that time of the month ) and I want to find a healthy way to deal with whatever is bothering me. " -- Jane, you sound like you're on the right track with this situation. Are your roommate's ideas triggering an old fear in you? Do you feel like you don't have a choice but to go along with her ideas, at least partially? Perhaps that is generating some resentment. I'm drawing on my recent experiences, but hopefully you can apply this advice to your situation. Where are all the new steppers? Making progress hopefully ... :) -- Mannix

Ann Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by Ann Marie »

I am so sick! This is the first time in days I have even turned on my computer. Not up to posting, forget steps for the last few days, but wanted to get back on track as much as possible. More later.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Peek In

Post by Lynx »

Yo, I'm on scramble, scramble, scramble mode so my postings will be a little clipped for a couple of weeks. I am watching. StarBaby, welcome back. As usual your casual day has so much packed into it. JaneB. Think out a few things you can prepare to say Yes to quickly. Is it about dominance/control? (Don't want to Share leadership?) Is it about birth order (you found the flat and so have not enlarged your thinking to include her)? Is it about personality (you just can't agree to anyone)? Is it that you have your own ideas ("that can't be right. That's not what I'm thinking.") It is about money? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi all, Also just stopping by for a quick check-in. Things have suddenly become hectic here too. Translations keep coming in, new clients, new projects, plus I'm leaving tomorrow for my metal band's first out-of-town gig. Thanks Mannix and Lynx for the feedback re my situation with roommate. It's good to have people to help me process what I'm feeling. I've been journalling about it too and will try to write more about it when I get back from my trip with my band. Some recent steps: - Had coffee with new client, who is the maker of a fascinating educational card game. I'm excited to work on this new interesting project - Rehearsed with band in preparation for show tomorrow - Wrote a long email to a fellow Sherboarder who is seeking help with her own singing goals - Did my "facial soaks" to keep my vocal chords in shape - I've also been keeping up with my voice lessons; you know, with the voice coach who has a background in heavy metal screaming. Well the past few lessons have been focused around strengthening my vocal support. These exercises are really physical. I am doing an exercise each day that she calls "singer's push-ups", and it's a serious workout. A singer's boot camp is what I call it. It's paying off though, as I am already starting to see some improvements when I sing with my band.