150 Steps in July

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps in July

Postby Mannix » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:47 am

Hi, everyone, Ann Marie, hope you feel better soon. Jane, I imagine those intense vocal exercises would be necessary to scream without hurting yourself! Lynx, good luck with your stuff, too. Accomplishments from yesterday: -- Took viola to the shop for minor repairs and left bow to be rehaired. -- Added 30 minutes cardio to my goal of 180 minutes per week. -- Went back to my blog and looked at what I need to do next. -- The Big One: I went into the vet's office (first time since our cat died two years ago). Asked a vet for advice on possibly adopting new cats. This was a big step because we put our last cat to sleep at this vet's, and I used to cry when I'd go past the building. I did cry a little when I came out. Hey, I did get some things done yesterday! Maybe I'm not plagued by resistance, but perfectionism? Hmmmm...... Today, I'm going out to visit the horse farm, then taking husband out to dinner for his birthday. I think I may put everything else off until tomorrow. I'm having a vacation after last week's vacation! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:26 pm

Hey all, Just thought I'd write a quick post to say hi. I had a memorable weekend outside the city. Some musician friends of ours invited us to a kind of music festival they organize each year. It's nothing big, just a bunch of bands who are friends and who get together for a couple of days to play at a club and then hang out at the beach the next day. Those kinds of shows are fun because anything can happen. The people there were crazy party animals and they thought we were phenomenal. Towards the end of our set, some guy decided to take a chair and put it on his head. And would you believe it, everyone else did the same thing!! It was quite an experience, playing in front of a bunch of people with chairs on their heads! Apart from that it was great to have a bit of time off to relax at the beach. Things with roommate seem to be going better. I think that just realizing I had a problem and deciding to be a bit more open-minded to her views has made things better. Ok, I also think PMS might have had something to do with my crappy attitude. People tend to get on my nerves easily when I go through that. Still, I don't want to blame it all on that. Going to give this more thought and try to gain more insight into these problems so I can hopefully avoid them. This week will be busy with promoting my band's next gig, which is in two weeks. Hope everyone else had a good weekend. JB
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:29 am

Hey steppers, I'm checkin' in. Good to read you are all progressing... I juggled all afternoon today with my juggle club-passing friend who is leaving the island to head back to the mainland. Today I was shown an amazing park to go walking in only a five minute drive from my town. Gotta explore that one this week and do a little hiking at the higher elevations. Got back more stuff from b/f. Wrote and thought about when I'm actually going to do about him giving me back my car, etc. He tells me he's leaving the island by the end of the month so I'm getting it back then. Probably it will be broken by then. :bash: Ah, at least the breakup scenes will all be over. Managed to decide to surrender all those moments when I found myself missing something I used to have that b/f lost, tossed, spaced out or gave away that was mine. Figured it's gone and decided to get over it. Got the last load from b/f and was actually surprised that some of the stuff I was missing was in it. Figured I would just forget about the rest. Bought some knives, lamps, kitchen stuff I had been missing at the thrift store to replace what I needed. Got a new air popcorn popper so now there were two. Got written agreement from b/f about how and when he was going to return stuff he's still using of mine because he can't seem to live without me. Did more research on what I need to do to start working on a community directory here. Got my computer up to snuff - now it's maxed out at a whole 160 mg of RAM, whoa. But it's functional at least. DSL is working now instead of dialup. Calling to make sure the cash flow problems work out OK this weekend. Still sort of iffy. Have to make sure tomorrow that this will work out and notify people to whom I've sent a couple of checks. I seem to space out on this, so gotta remember. Walked around town regularly for exercise this week. I do do love to do this at night without dogs barking at me who are tied up outside people's houses as is so common in Hawaii. I'm now getting to the point where my ankle, that was still a little dicey from being sprained at the beginning of the year, is getting to feel completely OK. Soon I'll be walking farther and farther uphill to strengthen it on my nocturnal walks. Almost ready to collapse into bed...I love being physically tired. Realized that I am running out of my thyroid medication I need and need to make a point to order more and get prescription transfered. Costs quite a bit more here than on the mainland, so if I would think ahead, I'd be able to get it sent here. Gotta get to the doctor to recheck my vitamin D levels now that I've been taking 5,000 IU for a few months consistently now. Scammed up a new art design that I could draw on the sliding glass doors instead of making curtains...thinking of rice papering the louvered windows...
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:41 am

Hi, everyone, Just a quick note for now. I'll post more later. But I wanted to share 2 big successes: 1. I met last week's goal of doing cardio exercise for 180 minutes. Even though my eating habits were not as good as previous weeks, I still lost 3 pounds! Hooray! 2. Hubby and I adopted the 2 male cats I'd mentioned earlier. When we met their former owner, she seemed very nice. She cried when we took them out to the car, so I think part of her was sad to give them up. I told her she was welcome to come visit them once they get settled here. Happy Bastille Day to all, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

check-in

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Howdy Nice bit of progress I'm noticing on everyone's part. JaneB, good going on easing back to allow roommate more participation. I'm deep into application territory. It's odd, but I look at my schedule and it seems 'empty.' But I know this writing applying stuff takes surprising turns that just gobble up the hours. Sometimes my mind is cooked and I need a break, more hours sliding away. And other thing arrive to be done. Fer instance ... Just has a telephone preliminary interview for a full-time from home gig! I would be away 3 days a week (estimate) in areas that are on average 120 miles away. That two hours out, two hours back, or longer. Plus overnight packing, etc. Driving alone in a car. Traffic. Congestion. Delay, detours. And we don't have two cars, what about that? Did they think of that? No. So, to keep the charade moving I said I didn't have any problems with it. I'll talk it over with the partner and see what gives. Progress on the Virgin Mobile front: got a return call and they will refund my money ($68). Wow. It works to write the CEO apparently. He's given $11.4 million by VM, that works out to about $65 per minute. Hm. Dropped off an application for small business certification for my local county. Had a pleasant chat with the coordinator who assured me I'd have my SB cert # in time to submit it w/ my applications for consulting gig with the county. Also pulled together a six-page "case" for myself for a perfect enough 50% gig (w/ benes!) just seven blocks from my home. Got that out this morning. Sunday, hung out with friends and watched "Wind in the Willows" at an outdoor theater festival before retiring indoors to have a great pot-luck dinner. Saturday, went to the last part of a three-part class on using 3x5 index cards for tracking ideas. Every one of them. At the end I got a diploma (on a 3x5 card, natch) from the 3 by 5 University. I'm the first graduate, only graduate, and president of the alumni association. I'm draft a fund-raising appeal to myself as I type ... Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 am

Hi all, Lynx, good to see you keeping busy as usual and tracking your progress so diligently. Thing have been moving quite a bit around here too. Lots of things to do in preparation for my metal band's next gig in two weeks. I'm finding this really exciting. This is a band I started with my close friends and is much closer to my heart than the previous band I was in. In my other band, I wasn't really involved in the decisions and tasks that had to do with the management, logistics, booking shows, promotion, finding supporting acts, etc. I just showed up and played basically. But in this band it's my friends and I who make all the decisions and it's up to us to do the work to make it happen. That makes it even more meaningful and exciting. Making progress with the roommate as well. I realize the majority of the tensions had to do with decisions related to our band. I've been making an effort to keep an open mind to her ideas and work as a team. Yesterday we spent the day together getting the posters and flyers printed for our show and displaying them at various places.
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Shiral » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi everyone, I decided to climb out from under my rock and post, again. Have been dealing with some big time resistance, lately Biggest success in overcoming it was getting the cats to their yearly vet exam last friday. Well. Now maybe I know why I was subconsciously avoiding this! My former vet, the one who took care of Isadora and Panther in their last years and who has taken care of Francesca and Nina since I got them, retired a year ago, it must have been shortly after their check ups last year. Anyhow, I was expecting to get out the door for about $120.00 or so. Still a serious expense, but one I was prepared for. It cost $500.00. It cost $55.00 per cat just to walk in the door before any examining started. I had to get some ointment for Nina's ears which were mildly infected and the vet put them on prescription food, but I'm still squeaking in pain. And I have to take them in again next monday to have their teeth cleaned which of course means anesthesia twice over. I'm afraid to even ask what that will cost. I liked the new vet, and the way he handled both cats, and the office now seems more efficient than it used to be. But sheesh! Anyhow: I have been working on my novel, and am up to chapter 10 Have been doing my belly dance exercises Have been riding my bicycle more. Have now gone on two 5 mile rides, and am trying to use my bicycle more for short errands which is why I bought the thing originally. Ordered a new bathing suit from Landsend, but haven't ordered any other clothes since May. It doesn't help when I get a slough of new catalogs in the mail each day. :? I have however bought $71.00 worth of new beads for a new necklace I want to make. Have been trying to drink more water each day to keep myself from wanting to snack. This is easiest on really hot days, not so easy on mild days. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 am

Hi, everybody, Gee, with having that big cold and then travelling last month, I'd forgotten about an old issue: the mid-week blahs. I think it comes from being in the house all day long. Time to come up with a new routine! The private-student scene is getting me down these days, too. Yesterday, I had a viola student arrive 10 minutes late for her lesson. (Lessons are only 30 minutes long.) I saw her father's car pull up. Then she got out and started walking up the driveway at the slowest pace I've ever seen. I opened the door and told her to get moving! When I asked why she was late, she shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know." Then she'd lost her assignment notebook again. When I reminded her we'd talked about bringing the notebook as part of being prepared for her lesson, she said, "Well, I never look at it anyway." :evil: I sent an e-mail to her mother about how disappointed I was with her attitude, and maybe it 's time to see if she really wants to continue lessons. Haven't heard back yet. Another lady has called several times about having her daughter start violin lessons. We kept playing telephone tag, but had planned for a lesson today. I finally reached her last night and she said since she hadn't heard back ( :!: ), she scheduled her daughter for a different activity in the same time slot as the violin lesson. She said she'd call me when they get back from their summer vacation. I hope they don't. Anyway .... Shiral, welcome back! I feel your pain about vet bills. Both our new kitties have bad breath; I think they are in need of some serious teeth cleaning. And one of them never got his annual shots. So once they are settled here, it'll be a big trip to the vet for us. Jane, I'm glad things are working out with your roommate! I'll bet you feel much better. Lynx, I'm glad that mobile phone issue was straightened out in your favor. I was a little confused about your full-time gig. So you'd be based at home, but have to drive somewhere else 3 days a week? Could be fun, if you could find back roads that avoid congestion. And I assume they'd cover the costs of gas? OK, and now to get out of this house before I go nuts! Have a good day, everyone, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

gas steps

Postby Lynx » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi Mannix, it would be "based" at home, yeah, and I'd be away 3 days per week! Oh sure, they'd cover the gas, but the driving would get to me. Most of the time I would not be able to avoid the congested I-5 from Seattle to Portland (where the counties would be). I did the written assignment anyway, just to see how far this may go. I might learn something, or they'd figure something out before the offer that could sweeten the deal. After all these years of working at home, truly, and busing and biking and walking to have to drive alone 3 x a week would be just counter-image. I'm dealing with an application for the next 8 days. Already know if I do more than two hours on intensive drafting I over-tire myself. I think I can pace it out. Gives me something to strive for. I'm finding I'm enjoying being alive these days. Riding this feeling as long as it lasts. Sharai, the vet's fees seem really out of the "customary" zone. I would ask to pay less because you brought two at a time (say only one of the $55 fees) and ask around to see if other vets charge less for comparable service. It's not saying a vet isn't nice to change offices to save money. I've done it several time with my dentists. It isn't our jobs to make their boat payments, unless they' offer to help make ours! And I can't afford a boat with all I pay for insurance and ... L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Progress Report

Postby Mannix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:08 am

Hi, everyone, Here's a report on my progress so far: 1. House Declutter: Identified a big pile of large boxes that need to go to recycling and a makeshift table that could be used to go through things from other rooms. For Sunday, scheduled loading the car for recycling and garage cleaning. 2. 180 minutes cardio: Met my goal last week! So far this week, I have 45 minutes of cardio and took a 90 minute walk yesterday. For yesterday, I'm giving myself credit for 30 minutes cardio. Diet's fallen off the wagon a bit. Today, I'll try not to give in to my chocolate cravings. 3. Live the Life You Love: For my blog, made a list of questions for the reference librarian, and I'm going to the library this morning. Also put out a request for links for good blogs on similar topics. I have yet to put up an entry since my illness. Goal is to write an entry today. 4. Chicago trip: Nothing! Submerged resistance again? 5. "Sips": Paid bills, watered lawn and did some weeding, practiced the violin, cleaned up small parts of the basement while visiting with the cats. Lynx, I see what you mean about the driving. That's like when I have to use the Beltway to get to a gig. You never know when it's going to be a parking lot from Virginia to Maryland. It's very stressful when you have to be somewhere at a certain time. Maybe you can negotiate some sort of telecommuting arrangement. Glad you're having such positive feelings - I hope they last a long time. OK, time to get out and about! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi all, Just popping in to do a short progress report. Today I spent the entire evening doing promotion for my metal band's upcoming gig, placing posters in strategic spots, giving out handbills in strategic spots and to people I passed who looked like they might be interested in that type of music. It's the first time I put so much effort into a show and if the turn out is good I am going to be very pleased. The evening was marked by a happy event and a frustrating one. The happy one: I was giving out handbills outside a club that hosts "heavy metal Thursdays" and I bumped into a guy who worked there as a DJ and who was on a smoke break. I told him about the type of music my band played and he was very interested. He told me he books shows at a club that is slightly swankier than the bars where we normally play and he'd be interested in having us. We exchanged our contact info. I'll have to take him up on that one. And the frustrating event? I walked out the house with a million things on my mind and in my hands, including a paycheck which I slipped into my back pocket and later lost on the subway!! AAarrrrrrrrrrgh! (kicking myself). It has my client's address on it, so perhaps a good Samaritan will find it and have the decency to mail it to my client, who can then mail it back to me... otherwise I will have to contact my client again and tell them not without embarrassment about my stupid mistake and can they please send me another cheque. I hate having to do it because I contacted my client several times already about mistakes on my behalf that had to do with this particular cheque...ugh... not the end of the world I guess...people are starving...but still soooooooo annoying... sorry for the mini-rant!
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:05 am

Well, just lost my post after I wrote it, so I'm bowing out for tonight. the synopsis was - (You can call this a ceremonial appearance.) Shiral, there are lots of great vets who don't soak their clients; b/f is continuing to check in; health is improving; have some new galfriends; working on A.T. biz; house is slightly more functional, (but no wishful washing machine yet;) money is arriving for additional progress - at the last possible moment. ...and this time I'm copying to the clipboard the post before I hit "send" like I usually do, but didn't do last time. :bash:
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:06 am

Good morning, everyone. A snapshot of what's happening here: 1. Went to the library and talked with librarian about research questions for my blog. She was tremendously helpful and interested in my topic. Also spent a couple hours scanning relevant books in the reference room. Felt like I was home! 2. In contrast, someone else called about private violin lessons for their son and I groaned inwardly. Time for a change? Too many students? 3. Our dryer is broken! We just purchased it in 2005. Sounds like normal when it runs but clothes remain wet. Argh! 4. Brother-in-law is in town and wants to stop by. Yuck. 5. I'm in a grumpy mood today. Maybe a visit to the horse farm will cheer me up. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 am

A visit to the horse farm: Mucking out stalls, brushing donkeys, visiting foals. Then lunch in Charles Town, West Virginia. I feel better now! :D
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Is that Clocked?

Postby Lynx » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:43 am

Steppers of the Sher Forums, Find the "time" literally. I just played with a stop watch. Wanted to put "over an hour" on a project, and so set it for 1:20. Hit start and began to work on project. Got about 45 minutes into it, felt I needed a break. Hit stop. Took break (preparing stuff for visit to farmers' market.] Hit start and kept working. Got to another stall. Hit stop. 16 minutes left. After a little stretching, found myself digging through an old file looking for details (on task, so I hit start). Worked diligently until alarm. Hit stop. Nearly complete on this part of the application. Kept to my 1:20 commitment, took a bit longer in true chrono time. Feels good. Not too drained, didn't get into a back and forth with feeling my mind was blank, I was wasting time, procrastinating or too drained due to staying past a natural resting place. Also, this ratio: .5, .30, .20 shows up often in my life. L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories