150 Steps in July

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Movingalong
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps in July

Post by Movingalong »

Not sure if anyone remembers me. Lots of new faces here. But I just wanted to check in real quick and say hi and give a quick update. I've been working for the past few months. That was pretty much my goal. . .to get a job. This is not a permanent job yet, so I'm still searching. But I'm still moving and taking baby steps. Hi to everyone and good luck with your goals! Movingalong

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Movingalong, welcome back! Lynx, way to go with the stop-watch. Sounds like a great variation to the kitchen-timer method! Jane, were you able to get a replacement check? I, unfortunately, am awake at 2 am with insomnia. What better time to post progress on goals? Let's see ... This weekend I did the following: 1. Met the 180-minute goal for cardio workouts. 2. Weeded the flowers in a tree bed in the front yard. 3. Rewrote one of the entries in my blog. It sounds better and is more focused, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm being motivated by resistance here. To counteract, I e-mailed link to my blog to a friend. That's kind of scary because I'm afraid she'll read it and say, "This is crap!" (Like that's really going to happen.) I still haven't done anything on future travel goals! Hmmm... Hope everyone is well, Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Movingalong - how oculd I forget you? Am I remembering wrong that you were working on making friends and having more interesting relationships also? I'm curious how you came to decide on this "good enough" job that you've been doing...? What is your next vision of a possible sea change? Had a frustrating day Saturday dealing with the news about the person who I left to distribute my project that I recently finished. She wasn't doing the work, perhaps hanging on to the moneydeceitfully. Found another person to fill in, but it took lots of time on the phone. Didn't like the feeling that I was being ripped off. But I guess envy is a part of it - people assume that being in Hawaii is like being on one big vacation. It's not - it's like living on an island where everything is expensive and everyone is a scrounger on the food chain, often trying to pass the payment along to the next fish down the line who is the tourist and then the haoles. I look like a haole here. Also had a frustrating last night and today messing around with my computer. Spyware. ARrrrGH! Why anyone would imagine that spyware is a good thing as it brings your computer to a slow death...? :twisted: Finally gave up writhing this evening, made some popcorn and popped in the Linux live CD so I could come and write at you characters who always make me feel better. Something about being around others who are at least attempting to make some progress that does it for me. Tried to fix the sticking key on my electric keyboard. Got most of the screws out and then realized I couldn't reach the last four screws because the screwdriver was too thick. So I decided that this project was too frustrating along with other frustrations and put the screws in a jar until I could find a skinnier screwdriver. Cleaned off the matchstick blind so I could hang it in my room and sleep there during the day. Cleaned up the house. Thought about rearranging my workroom, sorted stuff for that and unpacked stuff from my move. Put on the new dress I bought at the thrift store.Took care of myself, had a walk and a nice salad. Pet the cat on the property - cool to have a cat without having to adopt one. Thought about if I really wanted to clean out B/f's car because he won't do it because he skirted my wishes and didn't have me take him to the airport for a few days of being off island. Now I've nagged him too much to make it something he's doing for me. He says he's paying the insurance on it for the month on Wed. I want him to buy the new front tires(expensive) and fix the odometer (mystery cost) and take it in to get it's safety sticker also - only fifteen bucks. Don't really know how to get him to jump to do all these things because he's seems to be just trying to avoid it, all the while giving me lip service. I'm not sure how I became someone who can mess up his life rather than someone who is helping it work. Somehow the car became an extension of himself, and he doesn't take care of himself. Well, I'm counting it as success because he's not so depressed that he's committing suicide like he was a month ago when he wasn't eating. Guess it paysand is a successful strategy to tip off the women in the house that he's got borderline diabetes - hypoglycemic - in his birth family and doesn't know enough to feed himself regularly. Realized that perhaps I need to curb my boundaries to make the help I offer more effective. I chose better nowin general who to be helping who will not "pee on" what I can do for them, but perhaps I have to make it more clear how long the help is going to last and withdraw it more negligently rather than purposefully. I think it has to do with how gambling works - help is more interesting and special if it's inconsistent. Think that needs to be my new goal along with these other things - learn about how to more effectively parcel out help and what really constitutes helpfulness. OK, now I think I can face the next advised procedure maybe not working on the spyware problem. Thanks all.

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Recovered from temporary setbacks yesterday! Cash flow: Talked on the phone all morning about straightening out the distribution of my project on the mainland. Got a great report from my friend who is taking over exactly what is going on. Was determined that the woman who was doing it was honest, but just too disorganized. Felt relieved. New friends: Helped out one of my new friends who needed to borrow my car for a driving test. Health: Walked. Ate lots of veggies. Got the TSH blood test done that had to be reported to the doctor by Friday. Got a phlebotomist who knew what they were doing. :shock: Wrote a personal on craigslist.org, then discovered that Excite has changed its email interface, so I couldn't get to that email to publish it. Will have to do that from the library computer. The online dating thing so rarely works out for a scanner weirdo like me. Too many of the listings on craigslist.org looked like it was just from other websites who were trolling for members. :roll: Music: Practiced mbira. Found the headphones to my keyboard so as to not bother the neighbors with my noise-making. Put them next to the keyboard. Found out where the screwdriver was that will fit into the holes to fix the key that is sticking. Cleaned out the vaccuum cleaner to possibly vaccuum out the offending sticky thing. Still working on that one tomorrow. More A.T students: Ran into my other A.T. student who had been on a long vacation at the Thift store and she said she would be interested in lessons again at the end of August. Got the cartridges in the mail for my printer. Took the one out of the box that I needed and installed it. Now I really have to face that getting the spyware out of my computer has to be dealt with - I really hate to face that because I'm sure that I'm going to mess it up somehow. But - at least there is always Live-On-CD-Linux, which is what I'm using here to post.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

July 23 Already????

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, I've been sleeping a little better since my last post, but I feel like I'm still not getting enough. Part of the "problem" is I've been spending a lot of evening time with our new kitties. They are still afraid to come up from the basement. There have been several benefits to this situation: there is no television in the basement, so I've traded in TV time for cat time and listening to the radio. Healthier. Also, since I'm in the basement more, I've been working on cleaning it up when the cats take a break from being petted, brushed, etc. And, since I have the luxury of visiting with them throughout the day, the cats are bonding with me, which is great! The downside is, they are still afraid of my husband and run away when he comes downstairs. I think he's discouraged about that, although he won't admit it. Another time-consuming basement activity: our dryer is broken :evil: , so I have to find places to hang up all the wet, clean clothes, then wait for the clothes to dry before I can start washing more. Repairman is coming tomorrow. It's not fair -- this dryer is only 3 years old! Plans for today: 1. Get to the gym and try working out for an hour. (Success will depend on whether recent lower back pain recurs.) 2. Deposit checks at the bank. 3. Split the rest of the day between teaching-practicing activities and laundry/cleaning up the house. 4. More time with kitty-cats! 5. For the rest of the week, set appointments for myself to work on languishing goals. An8el, glad you found out that woman wasn't sucking money out of you after all. My husband says, never attribute malfeasance to what is most likely incompetence. Looks like that was the situation here. Hope you can get your computer fixed. Can someone get the spyware off for you? Have a good day, everyone! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Go Ahead, Plan alll you Want

Post by Lynx »

Productivity? Ha, despite my considerable efforts to find just the right way to "get things done" my time, own body and flow of events conspire to make that something that floats away like so many clouds. Due to that, I have come to a conclusion that I cannot precisely plan beyond a day, day and a half, perhaps two. What I need to do gets done. i know because I find my old lists and see that lots of the items can be checked off. I know a pending due date looms, and here I am at a bar enjoying happy hour. Dangest thing, I feel/know rather than think/know this is the right thing to do. Tomorrow will be productive. Or, so that's always the lure and promise. Right now, for example, this is happening: I have an application due to King County Procurement on Tuesday 7/29/08 at 2 PM or sooner, no exceptions. They make a bid deal about that, but the unfairness, if any, creeps in under door sills, not by letting anyone slide on the due dates. To get said application in I need to check my draft (spelling and grammar mostly and the writing can be utilitarian), make changes and then Print out the Original Make five two-sided copies (4 for the appl, one for me) I'm pitching for three sections, so I do this three times, prepare the cover sheet for each stack copy my final files onto a CD prepare the package double check everything get it downtown the day before/the day itself is a failsafe option. Five days later I have a workshop on Insider Change I'm facilitating. So ... Finish my Powerpoint and handouts (entails making some decisions about the flow and what to put in/leave out). Make 25 copies of the handout. Wild guess this one. Update website to reflect the workshop and some tweaks to bring it up to what I envision it to be. Most of the text is ready, so it's a matter to formatting and remembering what little I understand of CSS and using it. The website will take about 8 hours/one full day. It will be a psychological study, with my hopes pushing me to try things my meager skills can't deliver. I'll need lots of rest, and time to review the manuals and other stuff to figure out things. Finally, I'll have to settle for something because time has run out, and off it will got to the web. And I'll make a note to make more changes later. Sunday, 8/3/08 I'll have to make circles on my calendar to take the time off. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, July is a busy and exciting month. I'm falling behind with the posts again, just doing a quick check-in. I managed to get the cheque situation sorted out with my client (phew). The next few days will be very exciting. Tomorrow is my birthday, Friday is the night of the show with my metal band that I've been planning for weeks, and the next day I have a show with my other band, gotta make an 8 hour drive to get there. Things are really rolling! Got another small success to report as well. I played a show with the metal band a couple weeks ago and we shared the bill with a garage rock trio who are friends with my roommate. The lead singer/guitar player was so impressed with my singing that he asked if I would collaborate with them on their next show in August. He says I can sing all the songs and he'll just play guitar. To me it means a lot that a songwriter would be willing to step down from the front role in his band and let me sing all the songs he wrote himself. I obviously made a big impression on him. Anyways I'm excited about this new project and will let you all know how things go.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Lynx, re your comments on only planning a day or so ahead, here here! I often find myself in the same kind of situation. I find that, when I'm at "happy hour," I return to productivity by cutting out things I really don't have to do to complete the project. (It would have been nice to do them ... if I could work 24 hours a day without a break. Ain't gonna happen.) Hope today is in fact productive for you. Jane, happy birthday! Congratulations on getting to sing those songs solo! I just looked at the list of goals for my next teleconference meeting and realized it's coming up in a couple of weeks. What happened to the days when August was an eternity away? Time to get out the calendar and block appointments for myself. -- Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Happy Birthmark Jane! A friend of mine got tired of listening to people sing the "Happy Birthday" song and so he wrote another song with the same purpose. Pretty useful, because it has only a five note range. If you want to PM me with your phone number and I'll sing it to you - I know my friend who wrote it would love to spread it around. More students: Last night went to Baroque music event and saw a couple of people there who I'd taught A.T. with already; that may mean they can be my students at some point. Taught another great Alexander Technique lesson with my student - who has an amazing ability to focus her attention. Finally broke down and bought some more expensive paper so I can print out some new brochures and posters for getting new A.T. students. Fixed the tools: Cured the computer - now it has no more spy ware! Somehow while I was tussling with the spyware, I downloaded also a trojan horse too, got rid of that. Yippeee! Recovery: B/f's hard drive stopped - he called me up to ask me if I did it and if I could fix it. :evil: :lol: Then he asked if he could trade cars with me so he could be using the one that gets the better gas mileage while he's "working so hard he can't do anything else." I reminded him that plan was what we were going to do once he fixed up the SUV he has now to sell. What I thought was, "Bad enough to probably be cleaning up and fixing one car rather than both." Have this feeling that this keeping the car thing is going to go on indefinitely if I don't put a stop to it. :roll: Decided that the end of the month is the end of the line, as he agreed in writing.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Need A Fresh Start

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Been resisting everything again. I've noticed resistance seems to come on strong when I get close to a deadline. (Teleconference meeting in less than a week, for example!) Just when I need to get in high gear, I get stuck! Maybe I'm trying to do too many things at once again. This weekend, I'm going to try pretending I'm still sick and only have enough energy to do a certain amount. I'll prioritize according to projects that have received the least attention lately. Oh, I did break through some resistance and called someone at a local historic organization regarding my blog. He hasn't returned the call yet, but making the call was a big step. An8el, glad you got that pesky spyware off your computer. Sorry your boyfriend seems to be acting up. I liked the way he accused you of messing up his hard drive and then asked you to fix it. :? Have a good Saturday, all! -- Mannix

proudphoenix1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by proudphoenix1 »

Hi, everyone, I joined the board recently and your seems like a happening thread, so I thought I'd join in (never mind that July is practically gone). My goal is to relocate from Raleigh, North Carolina, to Denver, Colorado, next year. 1. One step that I took yesterday was to start reading "You-Turn: Changing Direction in Midlife: Over 40 Stories From People Over 40." The thought of doing everything that it takes to move to somewhere that I want to live (finding a job, finding a place to live, etc.) at 44 seems daunting and scary/exciting (sometimes more scary than exciting, sometimes more exciting than scary), and I need to do things to sustain my enthusiasm until I get there. So this is one step that I've taken to do that. 2. And today I joined this thread. :) That should help with motivation, too. Brian

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Closing In

Post by Lynx »

Hey all, Welcome in Brian, and no problem with when you jump in, just come on board. Let us know when you're ready for suggestions. I'm closing in on three due dates, and other things creep in, naturally. What's due:
    application to the county to get on Yet Another List getting web site to the next level (about three pages more) before ... my workshop next saturday on insider change that needs my powerpoint finished
Creepers
    send diagram to conference planners on how open space technology is laid out prepare postcard reminder for client's birthday party in august thank you note to potential new client that met with me yesterday research some things for condo (collapsing ladder and venting units)
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good evening, all, Brian, welcome to "the happening!" :) Your goal is very ambitious. I'm almost the same age as you, and I've lived in Northern Virginia for all except the first six months of my life. I imagine my husband and I will relocate some day when we retire, but the idea of moving makes me extremely anxious. All the luck in finding a place that best suits you! Lynx, good luck with your deadlines. Seems like we can never have a task list that gets us directly from Point A to Point B, can we? For me, it was a day of ups and downs. I'm still dragging my feet on trip planning. Will try to do that first thing tomorrow, instead of waiting until evening. I went to the gym this afternoon and used the weight machines, which I haven't done in quite some time. I'd forgotten how physically tiring those workouts made me. I want to keep doing those workouts, but I'll have to remember to get other important stuff done BEFORE I go work out. My biggest "up" was working on my blog. Two people have left very supportive comments. One person noted he's been following the blog with interest since someone else referred him to it. I'm just so excited and delighted that others are reading and enjoying it! It definitely inspires me to keep posting. And I have to say that, when I'm working on this project, all my insecurities about whether I'm a good enough person, etc., seem to disappear. Maybe I've found my calling at last? We'll see ... A good evening to all. We'll see what tomorrow brings ... -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

application ho!

Post by Lynx »

Hey application is done and sealed and ready to drop off tomorrow morning. had a serious conversation with my partner last night, very late. Not good for us at the moment is all I'm prepared to tell just now. Tired today, so will focus on lower-key goals. It's my old see-saw from a great day to a recovery day. Nothing unexpected. L

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Lynx, congrats on getting that application done! I find that I see-saw between higher energy days and "down days" pretty routinely too. IMHO, serious conversations are best had when both parties are not stressed out by being tired, but this is often the only time the two of you do have the time to talk. Think this is where the expression "choose your battles wisely" came from. Being tired, hungry, pained or emotionally distraught is usually reason enough for the whole world to be awful in that moment...that could change completely with some sleep, something to eat and a little de-stressed pampering. Welcome, Brian! Because I broke up with b/f, I just did the whole she-bang as you are facing: flight - bought a car - found a rental - got the "new" old computer together, got utilities turned on - am now changing the website, the biz cards - etc. etc. Did all that since arriving June 12th. Did it all with about $3000, including first and last on a $700. rental. In Hawaii, it is really challenging to get all that together where things must be either shipped or gotten once you are here. Frequented the thrift stores quite a bit for what I needed, and got lucky quite often. You can do it! The secret is get as much done as you can BEFORE you must make it happen. Then when unexpected things happen, (and they will) - they are much easier to handle. The other great thing about starting out in a new place is the clarifying of what it is you want; if you can imagine it, you can have it - though you do need to be patient and able to do whatever it takes. OK, my stuff now... Posted on craigslist to make some new friends...got a couple of fish on the line. We'll see what happens with that. Meeting people online isn't much different than meeting them any other way - in fact, more of a long shot because you can't experience their energy in person beforehand. Now that the computer works again - I installed SKYPE. Now I can call you characters here who have skype too. (PM me for my skype name...) Need to figure out another computer where I can install my skype-based Magic Jack on a USB stick - because it doesn't work with my operating system, but will be fine for traveling. Then my long distance calling costs will be minimized. Spent a time-consuming day yesterday trying to figure out how to transfer money between bank accounts with paypal after clicking on the wrong place. :bash: Then found out I could do that same thing with a new feature at my Credit union. Where is the smiley for AHA! Problem on the mainland distribution is finally solved, and this means that money will eventually show up for my work completed two months ago, finally. Tonight think that I'll rent-a-child and go see a robot movie by Pixar - Wallee. Remembering how Pixar bought 120 juggling balls from me in the era when I used to have a business selling them. Now it's nap time - then I'll get out and walk around for exercise a little before it's time to sit in a movie theater.