Presenting .... My First Blog!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Presenting .... My First Blog!

Postby Wolf Goddess » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:58 am

Hi, all, Happy November. No more campaign ads. YAAAYY!!! AVATC; I agree with you on the quality vs quantity thing. I am trying to post to each blog twice per month. It takes me a while to get the articles the way I want them. I also post photos. I wish I could crank out 800+ word article in an hour or so. The articles in one blog are how-to articles so far, so they take a while to make sure my research is done and my facts are right. My opinion pieces are a bit less time consuming. Also: I start out trying for a short piece like I see other bloggers do, but the piece gets longer and longer. I fiund myself breaking up the article into several segments to be posted in future weeks. MANNIX: Are you having success in getting traffic to your blog? Does your blog host have a tracking system? WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby KyleM » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 am

Mannix, your blog is such a specific niche - are there other sites about the same (or similar) topics that you could post to? (You could post as a reader but of course, put your blog address in your signature.) My feeling is blogs like yours, that are specialized, have a higher chance to generate traffic. There is one on Blogger, the software/site I use, all about tea. It's great, it even has tea poetry! She has a better chance of snagging visitors than I do... my subjects are all over the place.
KyleM
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi, everyone, Have to say I haven't done a lot to generate more traffic ... yet. :oops: I did put my blog address in the signature on this board, but that's about it. I'm at a point where I will probably wrap up this blog and start a new one, since I have the answer to my original blog's question. Think I'm having a little fear about publicizing. What if no one likes it, it's not good enough to be publicized, it needs pictures, etc. Resistance is such an annoying thing.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:25 am

Well, as an old lover said to me once... "Let other people decide what is valuable to them." He was the sort of guy who convinced me that it was not an acceptable thing to second-guess what someone else thought about who I was or the value of what I had created. It was my job to decide what I thought about what other people had created or how they affected me, but that's where it stopped. His point was that if I decided what it was other people were about to think of what I was doing, then I was robbing them of the pleasure of making up their own mind. So - build it, make it, add some pictures, whatever you think will help it be a better whatever it is. Then - let it go...and they will come - or not!
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby FrauBlasebalg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Mannix, just a few thoughts from another blog owner. Admittedly I haven't read all of the discussion before, but when I read your last post, this is what crossed my mind. I don't know if blogs work differently here in Germany or rather if blog readers work differently, but I found out that I have the most attention to my blog when I do two things: When I'm authentic and when I comment on other peoples blogs. 1) be authentic, be you. Being authentic is for me: I write about things that come to my mind, that interest me, that I like. I'll never write anything that everybody out there will like or find worth publishing, but who cares? There's no book or paper or tv show being published that gets 100% approval to be worth being published by all people - so why should my blog? There are lots of people who like my style - and there are sure lots of people who like yours! I notice that as soon as I start to think about what my readers might think about what I am about to write, then my writing becomes... well... not authentic anymore. It gets dull and ... err... mainstreamy (doesn't exist, that word, does it? :lol: ). I then remind myself that after all it's MY blog - and then I write what and how I think it's all right. 2) Visit other peoples blogs and comment. Nothing gets more visitors on my blogs than me visiting those of others and commenting there. Showing interest in their thoughts earns me interest for my thoughts. But while doing this, do #1, too. Be authentic with your comments. Nothing is as easily unmasked as comments that are made only for getting attention (and I think they work in the opposite way and rather chase off possible readers). I wish you a lot of fun and success with your blog(s)! Angela (If you want to have a look at mine: My personal blog for everyday thoughts, non-commercial and my quite new crafting and hobby blog, trying and experimenting with some commercial features, ads and affiliate links. Both only german, sorry :)
FrauBlasebalg
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:40 am

Hi, everybody, KyleM, An8el and FrauBlasebag, Posting comments on others' blogs ... why didn't I think of that before? And thank you so much for the advice on "being yourself" and letting others decide whether they like it or not. I'm going to proceed with this project based on what pleases me. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories