Presenting .... My First Blog!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Presenting .... My First Blog!

Postby Wolf Goddess » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi, all: Just a note to say that my blogs are installed. They are not ready to go yet so I will not give the URL's just yet, but they were successfully installed by a nice (and very smart) young lady. :D Even she had to write and then call my hosting service and they had to change one of their settings for it to work. So it wasn't just me. :D
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:32 am

Good work - ! Yeah - put some posts on them that bloggos first! You know that you can back-date things that you have already written? Then you can look like you've been writing for months when you just started yesterday. I do that all the time on my blog - don't get a chance to update it, then post a bunch that fits into the time I wasn't writing.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 am

What a great idea! :D I do have a bunch of things written already that are looking for a home. I might tweak things to make them fit. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Yeah - I do that myself. I save a copy of what I wrote to people in letters, in answers I wrote in other forums and on list servers, etc. - then I copy them and tweak them for publishing on my blog later. On Wordpress, the place you change the date is over in the area headed: Publish Status There is this little line that says "Publish immediately" and then a teeny link called "Edit" If you hit that "edit" button, it opens a date dialog box where you can fill in any date that you want the current post to occupy - in the past or future. Once you make this out the way you want it, then you hit the bigger button below that says "PUBLISH" (the "Save" button makes a draft that you can resume later.)
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 am

It's also a good thing to keep your writings in case for some reason all or most of your entries disappear from the site. That happened to me in a social network last month. :evil: It wasn't done on purpose. A whole section vanished. I had to repost. Anyway, now I am working on changing the templates so they look like they belong to my sites. I need to change the artwork. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Next Tuesday, I'm going to take some pictures which I can hopefully add to my blog. Here's a privacy question someone might have some thoughts on - Is it kosher to take a picture of someone's home in a street scene, omitting any identifying information, without first asking the residents' permission? I have some pictures of a house that is standing on the site where the subject of my blog once stood. I wanted to post a pic and just say "Here is what is on the site today." Rules for blogs seem so loose, I was wondering what the risk would be of someone accusing me of invading their privacy.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:32 am

If it can be seen in a public place, you don't need someone's permission to publish it. If it's someone personally that can be identified, it's polite to ask their permission, but many bloggers don't. If that person is in a public place, no permission needed, unless you're media and then that person needs to grant their permission for their image to be used in the context that they granted the permission for - in writing. If it's a person in a private situation such as inside a private home, then, yes, you need their permission also. But - since we're talking about a new blog that few people will find to start with... you'd probably only want to get their permission if you're worried they will sue you. Essentially, if you don't have any money for them to get if they do sue, don't worry about it. If they complain, take out the pic from your blog and you're done with the issue.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 am

An8el is right. I have very strong feelings about people taking other people's pictures without their permission. But you aren't talking about that so I will not address it. You are talking about houses and property. If you obscure any identifying information to retain the house owner's privacy then you shouldn't have a problem. You are coming at this topic from a historical standpoint. What you doing is perfectly fine. Still, if the house has a visible street number I would obscure it or make sure it is not in the picture: just to be polite…and safe. WG
Last edited by Wolf Goddess on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 am

Thanks, Wolf Goddess and An8el. Everything you said makes sense. The pictures I want to post can be seen from a public place, and I don't think there's any identifying information. And I'll have permission from the lady I'm visiting tomorrow so I think I'm covered.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:45 am

Yeah, it's also great to talk with people to ask their permission for a location photo even though you don't really need it legally because it gives you a way to find out more information about the location and the neighborhood. I find that any excuse to strike up a conversation is always an advantage when you are researching about historical context. People somehow seem to love it that you want to find out about such things and seem to be more than happy to hand out what it is they know that can help you. It's a little like genealogy - everyone seems to understand why you would want to know such a thing.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Okay. I have posted a few things on my blog. I think it may be almost ready. Here is the URL. http://zebracorn.com/blog/ Sorry, it's not open for comments. That's to prevent spam. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:57 am

Very nice blog, Wolf Goddess! Very professional! And congratulations on your Broadway appearance! I had to postpone my photo session because of my cold. I'll try again next week. I've also thought of some ideas for sidebar information and perhaps a slide show. Basics I also need to learn if I'm going to continue blogging: basic photography, scanning pictures, then maybe a course in Photoshop.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:55 pm

Mannix wrote:Does anyone have some suggestions on how I could get more people to read the blog? My husband suggested linking to it through a MySpace page.
Hi, Mannix! The only way I knew how to find your blog was to read the first post in this thread. You have an interesting and unusual topic and unique perspective that is making your quest for information seem like a thriller mystery! I have a few ideas for you about increasing traffic. 1) Wherever I post on-line, I include links to my web site and blog. Link to your blog in your sig line for every forum post; if you're on multiple forums, add it to every profile. See my example below. 2) Add a link to your blog in your sig line for your e-mail messages. 3) Create a Twitter account and post links to your blog as part of your updates. If you look at my blog, you'll see that I have my Twitter updates incorporated on the right side. I use Twitter as a microblog with links and conversations since I write essays on my blog. A multitude of social networking sites exist, and you could do this step on as many sites as you have time and interest to maintain. You can cross-promote between your blog and Twitter, and you can list your site affiliations on your e-mail sig lines (though I suggest limiting the number so it doesn't look like a book). 4) Set up Google alerts on topics that interest you and comment on others' blogs, newspaper stories, etc. Work a link to a blog entry into your comments like I did in idea #3 above. Once again, include a link to the blog in your sig line. 5) When you start adding pictures, you might want to start thinking about how you can incorporate video into your site, if appropriate. With the video posted at YouTube and other places, you can draw in a greater audience. 6) Since these ideas all are forms of self-promotion, I can't resist mentioning that I wrote a blog post with 25 ideas for gaining publicity and web site traffic that you may find useful. I hope this info is helpful. Best wishes for your continued success!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:33 am

Thanks, Mannix> :) Sorry about your cold. :( Karen. Thanks for those tips. If you don' t mind I am going to put them in my planning book. I keep notebooks like Barbara says for all of my projects. Question for the group. How often do you post to your blogs? I have been to some blogs where there are cobwebs growing. The creator seems to have forgotten they have put them up. And some where the creator posts several times a day. I cannot possibly post every day. It takes me a while to write an article, edit it a dozen times, gather photos, scan them, crop them etc. then Make sure everything looks good on the upload. I am aiming for at least once a week for now. I can't make these a full time job until and unless they start making me money. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby AVATC » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:08 am

Wolf Goddess, I am glad that you found my tips helpful. As for posting to my blog, I opt for quality over quantity. I usually write an article 2-3 times a month, but I have had occasions where I only posted once in a month. Since I write about voice-over and marketing topics, very little of my content is time-sensitive beyond the fact that the subject was on my mind at the time. :) I do have a "Recent Comments" list on the side as I frequently receive new comments. The on-going discussion in some of the comments helps add a fresh aspect to the blog. I hope this info is helpful. Enjoy your week!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories