150 Steps in August

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

150 Steps in August

Post by Mannix »

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: 150 Steps in August

Post by Jane B »

Welcome back all. I wasn't too consistent with the thread last month. July was busy and exciting, lots of shows and stuff going on. My metal band played it's first big show on July 25th and it was a success. One of the reasons I found it so rewarding is because it was the first time I had to put so much effort into preparing a show: finding supporting acts, getting the posters and handbills printed, doing the promotion, etc. Plus we had backup singers in the last couple of songs who came up and dressed up like cheerleaders and did a little choreography and all. It was great! The turnout was good, everyone loved the show and we even made some new fans (i.e. people other than our friends and folks who came out to see the show). Now that the waters are a bit more calm I want to take some time and think about my goals for the next month. Music - My band plans to play its next show in September, and for the first time, we want our set to consist mainly of original music (right now we're mostly playing covers). Therefore, during the time I set aside to work on my music individually, I want to put a priority on songwriting and things that will enhance my creativity. - I still want to keep up with my voice training, though maybe not as intensively. My minimum goal is to do the "voice push-up" exercise my teacher gave me each day (it takes about 15 minutes) and, if possible, 2-3 longer practice sessions during the week. Fitness - I've been slacking off from the gym for the past couple of crazy weeks. My goal is to go on average 3 times a week. If things get really hectic one week, I'll try and at least do a bit of exercise during the day (ex. some situps or a 15 minute jog). Freelance work/translation - Aside from my regular work, I want to start making cold calls again (at least 20 this month) and also start working on setting up my website (I've purchased the hosting months ago and haven't done anything with it yet). Voilà!

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

OK, my goals for this month are: 1. Make more immediate money - getting a "good enough" job and/or using other more familiar income streams. 2. Manage the not-enough-money that I have right now. 3. Sell my SUV second car - essentially deal with ex b/f's irresponsibilities. 4. Find four new Alexander Technique private students by getting out advertising. 5. Write more articles on Alexander Technique. 6. Turn the A.T. articles I've already written into internet marketing possibilities. 7. Learn more about how to do email newsletters, etc. in order to use the contacts I gained last month for possible new A.T. students. 8. Invest in new friendships. 9. Walk or swim every day - get my bike back. 10. Practice the array mbira and piano every day - or at least three times a week. 11. Visit and collect on trades for fun and my personal educational enrichment. 12. Maintain and fix my stuff and make it more functional and workable for me. JaneB, I like that word... Voilà! (Except that, as a musician, maybe you could spell it Viola!) :lol:

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Anniversary this month

Post by Lynx »

I just peeked at my bit of info on the right column and noticed I joined 8/16/06 or for those in Europe: 16/08/06. This has been just the type of online support I craved. Thanks everyone. This Month: Get Work. Get more work. Keep up with all the connections begun in July, or renewed in July. Set aside two days to look at my book: where are all the pieces, what's nearly done, not done, yet to do. Keep blogging. Okay, 5 posts. I said it. Pitch in more to get things moving at my condo. It's a mess. I'm getting resigned to it. Get out for more summer music. As time freed up this week got to a 50's cover band on Wed. night and an original rocker on Thursday. Support all who enter here. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi again, Doing a quick check-in. Yesterday I: - Did my voice support exercise - Did some songwriting` Things are coming along slowly but surely...

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Imagine most characters are out there this month fluffing off - August is the month of vacationeers - in the US at least. Went ferreting through my various email accounts last night. Discovered that I got a reply to a job I replied to that I hadn't seen because of the fancy safeguard settings I arranged eons ago that prevented from having my personal mail auto-downloaded while traveling. Fortunately, the reply was written last Sunday (rather than being a month old, for instance.) So this morning I called and asked when I'd be able to talk to the person as they had suggested. This could be a "good enough" job for me! We'll see if it pans out on Monday or Tuesday or so. Walked the stiffer uphill and downhill walk to my landlord's house today - there and back. Tried not to rest until I got home. Good exercise. Discovered the pool in town is free!!! Adult lap swimming is in the AM. Now I'm going to turn my head around because prefer to exercise before bed, strangely enough. Figured out why my web pages weren't updating. Duh, it was something stupid I did. At least my new phone number is now corrected - a month later. Was much simpler than I imagined it would be to figure this out, but that's what resistance does...makes things complicated when they could be simple. Talked to my neighbor this evening. Was a pleasure - what an interesting person she is! Now, to tackle the next challenges I've been putting off - nasty spy ware on the spare laptop...and the laundry that I've been resisting for the last month. Out of underwear drives me to the wash. :lol: Perhaps I should be wishing for a junky washer on Freecycle.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Steps for yesterday: - did my voice exercises - did some songwriting - went to the gym for about an hour - ordered a songwriting book and music DVD

Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiral »

Hello all, July was really a stepping bust for me. All my Resistance Goblins seem to be out in full force. Some successes for July include: Doing bellydance exercises more regularly (3-4 times a week) Taking longer bike rides. Drinking more water. Working on my book. I'm now starting work on chapters 11 and 12, which I believe I'll combine into one, shorter, tighter chapter once I've discarded some of the dross in both. Working my fiction presentation at work for next Saturday. The things that discourage me is that I still haven't got rid of my old desk top and haven't purchased a new printer that's compatible with my laptop, which is the computer I now use regularly. For the sake of clutter reduction, I'd really like to get rid of it, but have made no progress in that direction. I also seem to have immense resistance about finding a better paying job. Melissa

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone! My first post and it's already August 4! My goals for this month: 1. HEALTH AND FITNESS: a. Continue challenging workouts, extend goal to 200 minutes per week. b. Review my current BMI. Do I really need to lose weight? If so, determine realistic weight goal. c. Eat larger meals and schedule time to prepare meals. 2. SCHEDULE TRIP TO CHICAGO SOME TIME BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 15 AND OCTOBER 31, 2008. 3. LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE TAPE SERIES: a. Continue blog I started for tape 4. b. Decide on a goal for exercises in tape 6. 4. DECLUTTERING THE HOUSE: a. Participate in monthly clutter challenge. b. Follow "baby steps" on the FlyLady website. Incorporate steps up to Day 9. It was interesting -- I just finished a meeting with my teleconference buddy. She seems to have such a strong sense of who she is, and what choices are right for her. I would like that for myself. I feel like I'm on my way there, but not quite there yet. -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Checking in to report my steps for yesterday. I always like to do it the day after cause I never know what I might do until the day is done. Yesterday I: - Did a bit of songwriting - Did half of my voice training exercises - Went to a music festival and saw the legendary Iggy and the Stooges and, what can I say? The show was simply magical and I was totally blown away. Despite his age, Iggy is one helluva frontman and his band still rocks. I was right in the heart of the excitement, bouncing up and down with my fist in the air. Not only did I have an amazing time, it also really inspired me as a performer. It was especially refreshing considering I came to the festival several hours earlier to check out some of the other bands and found most of them to be a drag. Also had to go to the pharmacy and get some cortizone cream to treat these MASSIVE bug bites on the back of my thigh and butt!! Apparently some bugs found me in my sleep and had a feast. After a day or two the bites were all puffy and covered most of my back thigh but seem to have somewhat subsided since applying the cream and cold compresses.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Lynx »

Yo, Relatively clear day, as most of my recent pressure stuff is behind me. For today: Begin to schedule plumber for new toilet install (begun) Submit invoice for July send some wording promised about my workshop I just presented upload files/links on website prep for meeting at 1 pm email begun start detailed list for condo things to do (draft begun) all for now. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hey all, Had a rather productive day. Got a lot of things done despite being swamped with translation contracts. - Did a twenty minute jog in a.m. - Did my daily voice support exercises - Did an extra hour of voice training - Did some songwriting - Listened to some new CD's - Did my "facial soaks" to help moisturize vocal chords - Called my voice coach to set up a lesson (I think she's on vacation like many people!)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, Here's what I did toward my goals for Monday and Tuesday: -- Health and fitness: checked BMI with my current weight. I'm in the normal weight range but if I add one more point to my BMI, I'll be back in the overweight range. :( So I think I will continue to try and lose some weight, maybe 5 pounds. I would still be heavier than I was when working with my trainer, but some of my clothes might fit better. Maintaining a good weight is such a battle! Worked out on Monday and went for a walk with husband. -- Clutter: worked on my new habits on Monday and Tuesday. Cleaned up kitchen sink area and got in one 2-minute session on every Hot Spot. Sticking to these new habits is proving to be more difficult than I thought, even though I'm only doing small things right now. For now, I won't try to add anything new until these habits become ... habitual. Nothing on other goals so far. Feeling a bit hurt and inadequate this morning. One of my students, who'd been coming to lessons for at least 4 years, came to her lesson yesterday and announced it would be her last one and here's an Amazon gift card for your trouble. :evil: The mom didn't even have nerve to let me know, she left her daughter to do it and drove off. (The daughter is 13.) When I asked why she was quitting, the student said she doesn't practice very much and her mom doesn't want to pay for lessons if she's not going to practice. Plus the student is apparently falling behind in her other studies. I guess it's good they acknowledge the student's resistance rather than forcing her to continue. I feel like I should have seen the signs for this sooner and suggested it myself. Plus I keep wondering if there was something I could have done better that would have motivated her to keep playing. I'm also frustrated that no one ever gives any type of notice when they are going to quit. Things seem to be going along fine, and then, it's the last day. OK, whatever. Comments for others to follow, -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

An8el, how is the switch to morning swimming going for you? And I love your comment about resistance - it makes easy things seem complicated. So true! Jane, hope you got your bug bites taken care of. Yuck! I hope they aren't in your house. Forgive my ignorance, but did you see Iggy Pop? He has been around a long time. As I'm getting older, I love to look for active older role models. I love knowing there are older people still engaged in practicing their arts or achieving a goal, not obsessing about some chronic health problem. I probably watch too much television, but when you see older people in commercials, their chief concerns seem to be bladder control and preventing falls in the bathtub! Lynx, glad you're able to enjoy some quiet time after the stressful period you had last month. OK, and on to the clutter challenge thread for me. Have a good day, all, -- Mannix

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

I've been out of town--just got back last night. Now it's time to think about August goals. It'll be a short month for me. . . I'm in and out all month I do plan to count my steps--let me know if that's annoying. Don't believe I'll get to 150 this month, though. August goals: Finalize workshops for August SCL event Readying proposals for Aug. event Create and send newsletters Preparing for fitness, nutrition, weight loss effort (which will begin in Sept.) Work towards "membership-only" forum Work towards meditation CD Continue with listening sessions You've all been so busy, already! Way to go!! Mannix, good thinking on the BMI stuff. I've let it get a little out of control. Fitness/nutrition tips would be appreciated!! Jane B, you are so organized. Any suggestions? Lynx, how do you promote your workshops? Shiral, tell me about your writing (if you're ready :-) ) An8el, my fingers are crossed about the job ! Now to get started!! --jewelB