150 Steps in August

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps in August

Post by jewelB »

steps: 22. bought and set up dehumidifier for exercise space 23. decided (I think) upon which forum software to download 24. set up a 'project organizing' system 25. had a listening session in a new space ( and was told "anytime" by the space provider !! :D ) 26. scheduled a follow up session ! 27. looked closely at the weight watchers site Mannix-- that's a frustration of mine when it comes to weight loss, not getting the results on the scale when I think I should. It's one of my favorite excuses to quit. Hang in there!! (I'm hoping the month-long preparation will help with my expectations???) Lynx, I love that 'deep structure' of yours, focusing on a number of contacts. Does Cornell have anything on the web about that. The idea of developing relationships draws me, the thought of selling repels me. Hmmm. . . Jane B-- I have never considered myself to be a scanner! hmmm. . . I'll sit with that for a while (It does explain a few things,doesn't it!! ) I do find that it is important to balance and shift my priorities week by week. It's when I shift that I lose track of where I am as I want to return to a previous project. marymary-- hope your still following along, looking forward to your update! more later. . . --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

more steps: 28. re-read and added to book outline 29. downloaded forum software (took a ridiculous amount of bravery!) 30. discovered that I don't know how to upload software (don't know how to create a directory on my website, I guess??) 31. finished second draft of handout now, for the Olympics! loved,loved that free relay last night!! --jewelB (a former swimmer!!)

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

JewelB: Questions about running software on your website are what you could ask your ISP or host provider. But I wouldn't ask them how to make a directory! A more general question, such as "I want to install this: give me a five minute run-down on how I might do it or find out how to do it and I'll record what you say so I don't take up your time." They'll love that. They also answer questions about SMF on other online forums catering to this topic, where it's OK to be a newbie and ask any dumb question you want. Just search for it - it should be on the website that you downloaded the SMF forum software. If my opinion matters, having toyed with the same decision you're facing, I'd go with SMF - because it's open source and better for security reasons. You're doing the right thing. Mannix: weight loss happens over time, not instantaneously. The only thing that gives an instant effect that I have heard is getting a colon cleanse. People say they lose five to ten lbs instantly that way, if pounds lighter is your goal. But it sounds as if changing eating habits is your real goal. I've just done that - now I eat four times a day instead of once or twice. It's working; I lost nine pounds in two months! Also, I would have told your student that, even if he's far from it, playing the violin well would make him able to play music with other people - then it's a whole new world of social fun. OK, my news... Got a big boost in the social fulfillment dept. Had two friends come and visit for a couple days, and a third appeared too - and they all immensely enjoyed each other and my house mates. So had a blast! Made me realize how productive I suddenly get when there are others "around." Was meaningful also. Inspired by one of the people who seems to be originating a whole new educational inspiration, on the level of Waldorf or Montessori. This time specializing in turning around inner city and handicapped kids who are almost failing. Was incredible to hear of her work. Finally hung up my room divider with help from these visitors. Love the new space it makes. Got my bike back - paid to fix the chain - now I can ride a bike for exercise! Detoured a minor problem with my RV location back in CA. Narrowly missed calamity! :shock: Thankful for my loyal and capable friends who saved the day to the tune of much money it would have cost me had they not been successful. (My RV almost got towed because we didn't know it was partly in the dirt road and someone complained.) Have to add finding a new place to park my RV in CA on to my list here. Made 4 phone calls getting the word out what I need via RV and got a lead; put an ad in the town newsletter also. Will do more calling tomorrow about that. Searched online for new printer. Mine stopped recognizing its cartridges - :bash: Found one and decided that I didn't want it because cartridges were three colored rather than one color each. Updated my website with my new phone number on every page at www.franis.org/holiday so now I can get some window painting work in Hawaii. Will do some calling about it tomorrow. Got a free washer on free-cycle; house mate picked it up and installed it, now I have to clean contacts to get it to work, but think it will. New job with sign painting company isn't happening for awhile. Darn. Talked to a response to my personal ad - like the guy's voice and pic; he seems to actually be intelligent and sane and is sort of a nature-guy with a whole farm/carpentry thing going on. Drained my car battery, (don't ask) now it's charging due to wonderfully helpful friends. It appears that needing little things is a gift because it puts you in relationship with people. Making sprouts!Got a white pineapple - OMG! It's the most incredible experience!! Practicing mbira every other day. Played with friends while they were here - they were fascinated and played it also. OK - tired of typing now....more tomorrow.

marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by marymary »

There's no way I will make it to 150 steps for this month, given my late start, but a late start is better than none. So far in August I have: 1. Settled in to a new position, meet people, begin to understand the "work of work." 2. Said sad good byes to former co-workers. 3. Wrote a thank you note to the higher up who hired me, because it never hurts. 4. Updated my retirement plan. 5. Learned some health matters are resolving nicely. 6. Determined to get up and out the door to the gym on time, with some success. 7. Been social with other professionals. 8. Followed the "30 days to live" book, which really has focused me on what matters and how much there is to be thankful for. 9. Chimed in on another online community concerning this summer's shows. 10. Brushed up on the rules of poker and begun looking for a place to play. That's only ten, but it's ten with good intentions.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

marymary-- good work. Don't worry about the number of steps. I count mine because it's motivational. I can say to myself, "see I'm not a slacker!" :D Don't do it if the numbers bug you. An8el-- good advice. I think I even have a small recorder I could use. I'll see whether I have time to call tomorrow! Thanks for the "doing the right thing" affirmation! Steps: 32. remembering to dump the dehumidifier bucket (boy that place was damp!) 33. created outline for SCL morning workshop 34. created outline for SCL afternoon workshop 35. realizing that I get really hungry about 3 or 4. Satisfying that hunger then, seems to be key. Thoughts? An odd time for a meal ?? I'm pondering that. 36. stayed with organizational system!! It seems to be working for me. --jewelB

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

marymary, I'd like to point out that your steps have more than one step in 'em. For instance, the goal might be "to play poker with others in person," ...whatever your goal really is... Then "brushing up" on strategy in the game is one step; learning about "reading body language" would be another step; "reviewing the rules of poker" would be another step, etc. etc. So, "looking for a place" to play poker is actually a second step under that heading, when you listed them both as one step! If you're going to count, this way you'll get many, many more steps and may even make it to 150 before the end of the month! ...that is, if you're someone who wants to do the counting, which helps some people so they do. Others (such as myself) don't prefer to do the counting thing; we just list stuff we wanted to accomplish and then do a wrap-up at the end of the month to note how we did compared with our intentions. Biggee landmark today. Repossessed the SUV from b/f. The s**t doesn't hit the fan until he gets back and wants to use my car again. I'm not giving it back to him because he's driving it with the brakes scraping - and in that shape it's not going to pass the required safety that is already expired. He says he's got 30 days; I don't think so. So in the next few days I'm going to find out so I can wave this piece of paper in his face when I tell him he's not driving my car into the ground when it's broken, (making it more expensive to fix and eventually will turn it into junk,) because he "needs to get to work." Guess I need to disable the car somehow so he can't show up when I'm not home and drive it away. ARrrgh! :bash: Hate thinking deviously like this! But am slowly realizing that it's the only way I can put a stop to the misuse of my generosity - and I've offered multiple alternatives that he has methodically ignored, intentionally spaced out and blithely stood me up about without even a lame excuse. Probably I should go and rant about this where nobody can make a helpful comment. Beginning to think I need a counselor... You know how sometimes writing or talking to certain people will make you think differently? You gals are great for that! Thanks for that idea you all made me wander into - that obviously came from knowing you gals are reading this.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Steps this morning: 37-38. re-read outlines for scl workshops 39-44. gathered materials, added notes to outlines 45. wrote to ask about dvd 46. sent thank you 47. organized for tomorrow's meeting An8el-- good for you! (repossessing the suv) and good thinking about disabling it somehow. I think you're on target as you are considering how not to get in this bind. Setting initial time limits, as you begin your generosity, may be helpful "next time" I agree with the 'tough love' approach which encourages that "helpfulness" is to be incrementally withdrawn over time!! marymary-- as I mentioned, I enjoy counting steps, but sometimes wonder what I think a step is. For instance, I spent a couple of hours with the outlines and gathering (mentioned above), but how many steps is that? I just take a stab at it! Mannix -- Jane B, how is it rolling for you two? this afternoon: time with a friend, under an umbrella, on a deck !! --jewelB

marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by marymary »

Dear An8el and JewellB: Thanks for the info on parsing out the steps. If you have not done so already, consider becoming a CPA or lawyer! Your future is assured! In seriousness, it isn't a numbers game with me, strictly speaking. I am just trying to follow format and stay attuned. If a step has multiple parts, I won't worry so much. The main thing is to get to the main thing, and enjoy the journey. More later. Today is promising to be wonderful. Quite unexpectedly, I was invited to an all day seminar. Fascinating stuff that I have been lumbering around trying to learn on my own, and it has all been made cohesive for me. An unexpected joy, as I was work "resistant" this morning. MaryMary

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Just doing a quick report, I know I haven't been around the past couple of days. I am super swamped with work right now. In the middle of a very challenging medical translation that is due Monday and will keep me working like crazy until then. I have very limited experience in medical translation, and there's lots of terms that are beyond my knowledge and regular terminology references, so I'm going to have to go to a university's medicine faculty library to consult some more specialized reference materials. Still trying to keep up with my other goals in spite of this. Did a few voice exercises today and just sat down and jammed on the piano for a bit. Also went to see a show Tuesday night. I remember a quote from Barbara saying something like no matter how much you are in above your head with stuff, always hold your dream up over your head like a baby above the water or something like that...kind of feels like that right now. I had to miss my band practice tonight, unfortunately. Would have liked to rock out a bit and blow off some steam from all this work but then my bike had a flat tire and it was a real late night practice which is not great since I have to get up early tomorrow to go to that medical library... I will catch up with you guys later. JB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I'm still feeling mild-depression/burnout effects and it's making it slightly more difficult to get through the day. However, I did accomplish everything I set out to do yesterday, even though I don't feel good about it for some reason. Yesterday morning I took one of our new cats in for a check-up at the vet. He has very bad breath and I wanted to make sure it wasn't being caused by any severe health problems. The vet confirmed that there was a significant amount of decay (and puss, yuck!) and he would need a cleaning and some tooth extractions. But his weight and temperature were in the normal range and no other health issues. Then he lowered the boom: He said it was unlikely that a cat that was only 2 1/2 years old could have developed such significant tooth decay. When I asked him how old he thought Buster was, he said he could be as old as seven or eight. That's a huge difference from what their previous owner told us! I had some tears of frustration driving home. I have this vague feeling that our time with these kitties has suddenly been cut in half. I guess there are no life-expectancy guarantees even if you start out with kittens. I do feel duped, however. Today, I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch in D.C. He had to cancel, and I was thinking of going into the city anyway. I don't feel much like it now, but I think I will anyway. Maybe visiting a couple museums will get me out of this funk. I owe some people comments and responses. I'll try to write to you later today. Have a good day, everyone, -- Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Well, Mannix, think of it from the kitties' point of view - if you hadn't taken them, they would probably have been dead. Kitties may live as long as twenty years - especially if you keep them inside as they need to have done now. Warning: do not research what that means or you will be heart-broken that someone could possibly think of "de-clawing" a cat. Most probably your kitties are five or six years old, rather than the older estimate from your vet. Feeding cats soft food will give them decay in short order; I've known a four year old kitty who needed tooth extractions who had been fed wet food it's entire life. Got my printer working again. Printed some more business cards - now I have to get them out there. Found out the name of the place that might want me to do a hi-dollar window painting job; feel like I should go by, but could call today. B/f called today at 6am before work; I answered in a dead sleep... He told me he was ready for me to sell the car. Now I need to talk with him about how he's going to pay me for the rest of what he owes me, because the car isn't worth much after being trashed by him. :roll: (Guess that it the appropriate smiley for sarcasm.) Rained yesterday all day, so I didn't get out. But I did do some stretching at home and lifted the resident four year old on my leg lifts for my goals of bodily improvements. Practiced the mbira - could notice that I'm actually getting better on it. Found a spot to prop it against the wall that really makes the super low bass notes ring!

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

MOVES

Post by Lynx »

JewelB from wayback on the 11th: Lynx, I love that 'deep structure' of yours, focusing on a number of contacts. Does Cornell have anything on the web about that. The idea of developing relationships draws me, the thought of selling repels me. Hmmm. . . It took a while, but I tracked a word doc that I have stored on my hard drive. Find it at http://www.ktchange.com/moves_process2.doc It's there all by it's lonesome meaning not part of any pages or linked to anything else. I'm at my do/resist edge. Needed to put my book in some type of visual system so I can see all the chapter titles and front and back matter headings. Finally did that last night on my t-card rack (great system by the way for scanners). We used http://www.t-cardsystems.com Stick to metal racks and get a lot of cards at time of purchase so you don't feel stingy with using them. So last night I put my title cards on my rack (did title cards almost 6 months ago). Instantly some ideas came into mind and some tweaks. Getting to blog and web by bits and pieces. Did one blog since I committed to doing 5 this month and I think I have another poking around. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Thurs steps: 48. had a lovely listening session 49. scheduled the next one 50. observing my eating habits Friday Steps: 51-52. drug myself thru creating 2 handouts for scl event 53. reviewed my organizational system Lynx-- thanks for those who sites and the info just awaiting me. I'll check 'em out soon (today, I hope!) Mannix-- my energy is ebbing, too. Creating handouts is something I enjoy. I'm in one of those self-inhibiting phases that occur most often when I think I need to push harder or do some marketing-- it saps me. --jewelB

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Lynx: checked out the T-card system. Fascinating. Wouldn't a felt board do a similar thing? Reminds me of the system that I came up with when I glued a bunch of envelopes to a board...but the T-card seems useful in many other ways. Would like to see how others use them...can you describe it somewhere else I guess would be appropriate - maybe on the scanner part of this site. Or a link to existing thread? Would also like to see a version with magnetic cards! Once originated a system that I used on a felt board for outlining improvisational music - which seems a paradox in terms, but it worked well to integrate musicians who were of very different skill levels so the they could play together. Hey - if you abhor selling, but could go for developing relationships, check out a book by Chuck Lewis on selling called: "You're Gonna Love It!" Was written during the 1980s; I knew the guy personally - he totally changed my mind about what selling was all about. My stepping: Cleaned up the house a bit - why do I seem to resist cleaning when I know how much I enjoy more organization? This time learned to rearrange the house when cleaning, because then cleaning isn't the goal, clearing off stuff to rearrange it is. Tricky, aren't I? Taught another great Alexander lesson this am. Talked to someone who is a painter who might hire me for the next job he estimates later in the month. Gave my number and website for sign painting to shopkeeping who is opening up a new DVD rental shop in my town. Will call them back. Ran into a mechanic who told me what I needed to get to fix the odometer on the SUV. Put an ad the local newspaper to sell this '96 SUV. Made an appointment to see a therapist next Wed. Not sure if talking to someone will do more than posting on this board or talking to people I already know, but figured I'd try it. Got some more top sheets to replace the ones that disappeared when my ex b/f moved house...by commandeering a drop-off to the Salvation Army from being closed today. Felt sneaky, but all parties were happy about it.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Had a nice day out at the horse farm and driving around Maryland and West Virginia. I'm going to single-handedly cause gas prices to go up again! Starting to feel a bit anxious about a gig I'm doing tomorrow. It's on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and will require driving a major vacation route for D.C.-area residents (=possible major traffic jams). Plus some of my parts are very difficult. And the bride has requested music from some movie sound-tracks I've never heard before. I won't get to see the music until we have to perform it. Sigh... OK, I'm not going to get worked up over the "worst-case scenario" again. Yesterday, I had major resistance. I spent the entire morning in bed watching DVDs! I never did make it to the museum. I did get up after lunch and made myself do some tasks in 5-7 minute increments and that seemed to help my energy come back. I still feel a little scattered today, and I'm just not ready to organize for tomorrow yet. Lynx, great idea on setting the target weight goal a few pounds lighter! I also like the idea of additional pounds having a story. They must for me, because I went and found some of them when I'd lost them before. I think a lot of my over-eating episodes have to do with anxiety. When I feel like bingeing on chocolate, for example, I first ask myself if I'm really going to feel better after eating the chocolate. In other words, does the anxiety really disappear? I've been partially successful; I've been able to postpone the binge, but so far that makes the feelings get stronger. I'm also going to experiment with spending peak craving times in those parts of the house that don't have a kitchen. The further away I am from the kitchen, the less I seem to think about food. An8el, you're right, weight loss is not instantaneous as much as everyone would like it to be. I was just hoping for a miracle since I'd been so good that day. :) About the kitties, I was thinking they might be about 5 or 6, too. That would be an average between what their owner said and what the vet said. We've had them about 5 weeks now and they have become very loving, especially with me. (They're not entirely sure about my husband yet.) Buster especially loves to sleep in my lap, comes into the room whenever music is being played, and will run to me if I call him. If we had stuck to our physical and age requirements for new cats, we would never have met Buster because he did not meet either criterion, assuming he's older. I do know a little about the declawing process. I understand it's comparable to cutting the fingertips off a person. I feel sad sometimes when they try to trap a toy with their front paws and there are now claws there. I certainly would not have declawed them if we'd gotten them as kittens, but I guess we can't undo that now. OK, I guess it's time for bed. Hope everyone had a great day, -- Mannix