150 Steps in August

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Tcard Systems on Scanners Forum

Postby Lynx » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:29 pm

An8el, took your suggestion and started a thread over at scanners, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21790 Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in August

Postby Mannix » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:14 am

Hi, everyone, An8el, sorry about your b/f situation. His attitude toward the car is really irresponsible. To me, it sounds like he needs the therapy, not you. (Maybe you need to take him on "Judge Judy" and let her yell at him. Ha!) Jane, hope you're getting through your big translation project. Yesterday's gig was a success! Not perfect, but everyone was happy with the outcome. Yay! Afterward, we all went out to dinner and I didn't get back home until midnight. There, I discovered a kitchen counter lined with dirty dishes. Sigh. My FlyLady project has really gone down the tubes. It's frustrating -- her steps are so small and should be easy to follow. Why can't I get back on track? This afternoon, I'm attending a music-reading with several adult beginning students. It starts in the late afternoon. I'm not sure how long it will run, but I should be home earlier than yesterday! :) I think for now, my goals will be to figure out what time I need to leave and do short task-bursts until then. Two things I'd really like to do today are: exercise and do a little work on my blog. I'd like to write at least one new entry before I leave for the beach on Wednesday. Have a good day, everyone! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jewelB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:11 am

Big step yesterday ! I am so excited and relieved !! 54. installed smf forum for my website Hubbie and I were able to get it uploaded and installed !! Now I can play with it! 55. emptied exercize space 56. vacuumed exercize space 57. dusted exercize space Did most of the above to deal with frustration / anxiety with installation issue!! :lol: I'm so pleased!! I'll catch up with everyone tomorrow! --jewelB
jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Cat Guilt

Postby Mannix » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:45 am

Hi, everyone, Jewell, congratulations! I'm experiencing anxiety this morning. I'm leaving for the beach on Wednesday, but in the meantime our new cats have grown very attached to me. They sleep in whatever room I happen to be in. Last night, one of them climbed into bed with me for the first time. My husband says when I'm not there, they walk around the house looking for me and meowing. How can I leave them???? I keep telling myself they will be just fine. And I can't stay home forever. Whew! Thanks for listening, Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

This One for JaneB

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:02 am

Hi Found this article in the paper & ink version of my local free weekly and then online. It's on training to scream. Do you know these DVDs? Is one of the two featured teachers your teacher? http://www.seattleweekly.com/2008-08-06 ... in-chains/ Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jewelB » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 am

Mannix-- well, there's one good thing about leaving the cats-- by leaving and returning, you will help them begin to understand that you are permanent in their lives! "She comes, she goes, she comes back. . . " (little kitty thoughts! :D ) And yea! for your successful gig!! JaneB-- hope the translation went (is going) smoothly! Lynx-- thanks for all the info. I went to both links. Fantastic! That Cornell piece is great! An8el-- good steps all around! Monday steps, so far: 58. tons of editing / proofreading 59. have reduced humidity in exercise space 60. space ready for yoga equip to arrive! 61. continuing to observe eating hmmm. . . Much to do to leave town for a few days. I've yet to 'play' with the forum I created. It still makes me giddy just to think about it! (go figure!) --jewelB
jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Something that Finally Rises to the Top of List

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:59 am

Hey steppers I'm getting a nagging gotta get to X feeling that I'm hoping to scratch. It's printing out my recent version of contacts. I have a store house of these efforts all the way back to high school. Here are the steps: Learn how to format using the column or browse function on appleworks. Print out a page and figure out dimensions so it will fit in my daytimer. Print out another trial page, correct if needed, continue if necessary. Print out whole list, file in permanent record someplace. Print out edited list of most active people at the moment. Celebrate. JewelB, delighted the Moves stuff got you going. I love it, too. It certainly has ease me out of the selling myself mode. Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jewelB » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 pm

afternoon steps 62. more proofing 63. printed copy of handouts for Saturday 64. sent newsletter 65. responded to a person interested in my E-Course! 66. trying to figure out why one newsletter arrived all screwed up 67. looked at member-only feature for forum (still confusing) 68. updated organizational system packing is next. This step counting is really helping! Thanks, all! --jewelB
jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby marymary » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:19 pm

It feels like a number of steps at once, but I just returned from a long weekend away and am in need of a weekend to get over my weekend. Traffic was ridiculous! However, I not only got away (one step, let's be honest), but I also visited where I wanted to visit, and in the process, learned to pump gas. That must be hilarious to most, but I have lived in cities all my adult life, and have had little to do with car culture. Now, as I am adept at polishing glass, I feel assured that I could get a job in this crunched out economy should "old fashioned" service stations be revived. (Hey, not a bad idea! Folks will want a little TLC with these brain bleeding prices.) The inventory and action steps of this "One Month to Live" project that I am doing is not lightweight. However, I am keeping at it, and (with great gratitude), I am living!
marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi, everyone, I am very down tonight. Took our cat Buster to the vet this morning. He had 5 teeth pulled and a general teeth cleaning, all under anesthesia. When I brought him home and let him out of his cat carrier, he tried to run away from me. But he wasn't totally over the anesthesia yet so he kept falling down, and fell down the stairs a couple of times. I tried barricading him in the basement with his brother, but he climbed over the barrier. He won't let me pick him up; it's as if we're back to the first day they were here. His brother's a little agitated as well; he senses something different with Buster. On top of that, we're supposed to administer 2 oral medications to Buster for the next 5 days. :shock: Both my husband and I are really frustrated with this, since Buster won't let either of us touch him right now. (We both have big cat scratches on our arms from today's incidents.) My husband is mad at me because I was supposed to tell the vet we couldn't give him oral medicine. The vet's assistant said we should try and call if it didn't work. And I may have to stay here and medicate the cat instead of going to the beach. :( Maybe things will look better tomorrow when the anesthesia completely wears off, but right now I am so down. I have no motivation to do anything. I haven't checked my old "150 Steps" entries lately, but it seems like some "disaster" like this happens every month. Maybe I need to start expecting it and not let it get me so down, if possible. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Whew! I did it!

Postby Jane B » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Hey folks, I'm still alive! Finally finished that arduous medical translation yesterday. Honestly I think it was one of the most challenging projects I have worked on in my translation career. I had to do quite a bit of research to understand the subject matter, and I was running low on sleep towards the end of it, but it was also very stimulating and I learned a lot of stuff. Last night I just wanted to take it easy and catch up on the sleep hours I was missing...then I ran into some friends and went out to celebrate! So today I am taking a well deserved day off. I'll catch up with everyone's posts later today. JB
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Thur 8/21

Postby Lynx » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:22 am

Fairly open day, so I hope to get much done. On the other hand, feeling less than excited about getting into the details. Yet, I love planning things out! Alfred Hitchcock said the fun was planning out his movies, making them felt anticlimatic. Quiet ... Roll Tape ... and ... action! 930 First 45 minutes on application 1015 break/calls 1030 2nd :45 11:15 break/Resperate 11:40 Birthday Card/Admin work for Client 12:40 Lunch 1:40 Backup Files and Work on Book 2:00 Repair man scheduled 2:05 More work on book 2:40 Break more calls 3:00 Break/Open time 3:30 3rd :45 round 4:30 Get ready for evening gig 5:30 Leave for gig L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello all, Mannix, I hope things are going better at home with your cats. Lynx, I hope your evening gig goes well. Thanks for that article you posted a little earlier about metal screaming. I am familiar with one of the teachers mentioned in the article and have downloaded some of her instructional materials to try them out (if I really like them I intend to buy them :wink: ). My teacher is not one of these two but she has sung with a metal band for ten years. After that intense rush of translation work it's been a week of catching up for me, catching up with the dishes in the sink, with practising my singing and working on material for my band, catching up with friends I haven't seen in a while... I also started reading a book I found while surfing amazon. It's titled "The Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook". I've read the first chapter and it seems to have a lot of potential. I've told some of my band members about it and we plan to try some of its approaches together.
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:33 pm

just a short swoop to brag that... Cleaned out b/f's mess from the car - got over being upset about it and just looked at it like it was any old score from a bunch of junk. While cleaning his car, found the destructions to my printer - :D !!! Listed the car for sale on a local bulletin board called http://www.konaweb at a discount. Got one call and the person is coming over tomorrow am to look at it and maybe buy it. Bought a three-day over the weekend listing to sell the car in the local newspaper - was only $31.32. and there are no other cheaper SUV 4x4s listed there, unlike there is on craigslist. Took it to get a safety inspection; and it PASSED! Was really, really happy that they didn't notice the odometer because the speedometer works fine. Started another thread in "Idea parties" about how to address my concerns. Got a bunch of suggestions that I was being co-dependent, etc. but this led met to find a couple of books that sound promising. Went to the library and found the books were available and requested them. Went to my counseling appointment. Liked the counselor quite a bit. However, bitching about my concerns to someone didn't make me feel any better. Actually, keeping track of my steps on a forum such as this and reporting them to someone is helping much more than anything else. Speculate that talking about problems doesn't do much for me. Perhaps making art is what I need - something that has always worked in the past for me. Got to be BIG art though - little stuff doesn't get it out... More later... I'm testing out the theory that for me, reporting after it happens is working better than promises of intending to do things.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Friday Slow Down?

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks JaneB for the cheering for my gig last night. Went great. An outdoor picnic with happy people enjoying food and each other's company. I tried my first experiment with taking my own plate (a metal camp plate, already travel with own utensils). And left the plate!? Have a call out to track it down and probably retrieve it next week. About today. I awoke with some pre-set ideas for keeping on my main project. Pick one at random:
    If it's on scheduled and I fail to get to it, it automatically goes to the next day and is promoted to the top item. Just look at my visual system for project for 5 minutes and sense what comes. Do something related to project but at a slant and use that for inspiration. Example: tonight there's a talk of adapting books to movies. It's related through being about writing and as a thinker I build on the thoughts of others.
My work yesterday on the proposal application was great. Just sketched out some thoughts for how to continue to work on it. if all goes as planned, I may go blueberry picking today then to the talk. We'll see. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories