150 Steps In September

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

150 Steps In September

Post by Mannix »

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps In September

Post by spiegel »

I have the week off work, so am putting it to good use! :D 1. Made a start on the spring-cleaning - hauled out a good part of the "trash" pile 2. Done my daily exercises, massaged and iced down afterwards 3. Finished an illustration (yay!) and uploaded it to my sketchblog (link in signature!)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everybody, Spiegel, I need to do some spring cleaning, too. Except today is the official end of summer here in the U.S.! Maybe I can say I'm getting an early start for 2009. (lol) Hope you enjoy your week off. Today is a holiday and I want to visit some of the store sales once more, and my husband's friends are planning a get-together at their place this evening. In between, I'd like to get in an hour working on goals (more on that later) and reconstructing our very messy house. Have a great Labor Day, fellow Americans, -- Mannix

ecogirl
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ecogirl »

How fabulous! 1- Today I posted a book that I had decluttered and sold on Amazon 2- I did the same with some shampoo and conditioner that didn't suit me 3- I went to the shop and wrote down how much I spent 4- I'm about to hop on the exercise machine for 5 minutes Celebrating your steps with you! Ecogirl x

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

Mannix, there's something about the change of seasons that makes people want to declutter, no? :)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Spiegel, the need to declutter looms so large in my life ... I need to start taking it on, no matter what the season. In fact, several seasons may pass before it gets done. :) Ecogirl, how did you find selling things on Amazon? I've sold a few things on e-bay, but each item only sold for 99 cents, much less than I paid for it. I've considered experimenting with other sites, like Amazon or Craig's List. Well, even though it was a holiday and we got up late, I was pleased to see I did get some tasks done! These included: 1. Starting a Fall Decluttering Scrapbook, with pictures of rooms as they look now and a list of tasks to get them looking better. (I started this before once and it went nowhere. Hopefully I'll have better results this time.) 2. Researched the FlyLady website to see if she had any wisdom on financial organization. (She does.) 3. Purchased birthday presents for sister and brother-in-law. 4. Purchased new running shoes for self. So, nothing huge, but it felt good to cross off a few things. Hope everyone else had some progress today, -- Mannix

ecogirl
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ecogirl »

I prefer Amazon for selling books - you just type in the ISBN and it does the rest for you. It's so simple. Plus the books get left up for 2 months without you doing anything. They don't charge you until you sell. However, some books sell for 1p! So I don't bother listing those and give them to Freecycle or the charity shop instead.

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

4. Daily exercises 5. Ballet class 6. Sitting here with an ice pack on, post class Still haven't managed to get out of bed before 11am though :|

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Seems we have a whole new set of steppers this month. I feel like The Godmother. :D Ecogirl, thanks for the tip on Amazon. I will research my products before I put them online. It certainly is a pain to package up stuff and haul it to the post office for 99 cents plus shipping. There's also a used book store nearby that pays for used books and media, or gives you a store credit. I'll investigate that as well. Spiegel, enjoy getting up late. I have trouble getting up early, even when I'm not on vacation. I have a bunch of stuff on my to-do list today, but the things that most affect my goals are: -- Follow SlimFast food plan. -- Pick out one workout from the ones I did with personal trainer. (Reintroducing weight lifting to workout routine.) -- Get back to working on my blog: --- Send out letters to people who might have some information on my topic. --- Call the Historical Society of Herndon, Virginia. -- Continue reconstructing the wreck that is my home so I can get back to the FlyLady routines. -- Have a good Alexander lesson: Try to avoid getting upset or emotional. (There's more on this in the monthly clutter challenge thread.) Have a good day, everybody! -- Mannix

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Hello, September! Mannix! You are the Godmother! Hello to spiegel and ecogirl. Best stepping wishes to all ! Someone advised me that I am a scanner! I think my list of goals proves that point, but I'm still getting my head around it. Being identified as a scanner makes me feel better about my sense of sometimes "wandering aimlessly thru my projects." (No wonder?) Well, here's the list: My Business: solidify "Moves" / "Touches" process for me Membership: set forum categories / threads create 25 samples E-Courses: send invites solicit 6 participants begin Meditation CD: set play date have play date Listening Sessions: continue with these read Book: write chapter outlines Fitness and Nutrition: weigh weekly follow WW online lose 4 pounds exercise 15 times I count my steps. I find this (oddly ?) rewarding. . . even when I don't get to 150. I say, "Hey, look-- I'm at 37 ! Not too shabby" Others don't count steps. Each to their own! :) Steps so far today: 1. Yoga session 2. A few calesthenics 3. Weighed in (yikes!!) more later!--jewelB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Greetings from Godmother. I have some sad news to report. I've been writing a blog about a home that was built inside a local arena during the 1955 Washington Home Show. The house was moved to a neighborhood relatively close by and I was trying to find out where it is now. Well, today I found out it was demolished some time ago. I actually feel a mild grief over this! I was looking forward to "meeting" that house and now I find out it's "dead." I was thinking about stopping the blog but I think I'll see if I can find out how long the house was around and maybe why it was torn down. But what a sad assignment. :( Other than that, I did pretty well on steps today. I worked on the blog, had a less emotionally charged Alexander lesson, did one of my trainer's workouts, and did some work on my house. Jewell, welcome to the world of scanners! I'm pretty sure I'm one too. I'd be interested to hear what kinds of adjustments you make in your life as you learn more about what kind of scanner you are. I'm due for such a review myself. Hope everyone had success today, -- Mannix

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

7. Spent a lovely afternoon at the aquarium, filled half a little Moleskine notebook with sketches...and now have a terrible craving for seafood :mrgreen: 8. Daily exercises, massage and ice pack 9. Googled for piano shops, planning to go to one tomorrow

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Seeking some Feedback

Post by Mannix »

Hey, fellow steppers, I'd like to get some feedback or advice on the following situation: I'm trying to come up with a goal for tape 6 in Barbara's "How to Live the Life You Love" series. The goal has to be meaningful to me, and culminate in a tangible outcome or event about 3-6 months from now. I've come up with 2 ideas and I'm trying to decide which one to use: 1. Completely declutter (and possibly refurnish/redecorate) our family room and then have some sort of party in that room either this Fall or over the holidays. 2. Take a trip for my next birthday, which falls in that time frame. The first goal is very attractive to me right now, but it would mean A LOT of work and self discipline. I think we can get the room decluttered in the allotted time, but it also needs new furniture, carpet and painting and I'm not sure we can get all of that done. But a full decluttering would be a big step. The second goal has been on my to-do list forever. I seem to have resistance to committing to a trip. I'm wondering if, after getting some serious work done on our house, I will be more motivated to travel. Then I could use the travel goal as a reward for completing the house goal. Love to hear anyone's thoughts. Thanks, -- Mannix

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Today: 4. sent 1 batch of e-course promos 5. recorded breakfast 6. drafted “time to pay” email for e-course stuff 7. emailed 6 contacts/friends 8. brief yoga session, weighed in 9. created and sent email to “Stress” task group 10. created email to use as promo 11. proofed and sent newsletter 12. wrote initial drafts of next two newsletters (I had gotten behind) 13. used organizational time appropriately 14. worked on next 2 listening session details getting this done, really feels good. A lot of it needed to wait until after Labor Day, some of it didn't. Mannix-- great questions and ideas. Does answering this question help you focus: Which goal more closely reflects the life YOU love? Do remember that both choices are good ones. . . if you look forward a full year, do you have a sense of which choice you'd be most glad to have accomplished? Do keep us posted-- this is great stuff ! (And sorry about the house. . . yikes!!) spiegel-- I love a Moleskin notebook! ecogirl-- exercize machine-- love your attitude. I'm still trying to exile my "all or nothing" attitude! Lynx-- catch us up. more steppin' --jewelB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Wondering Wanderer

Post by Lynx »

Yo, Feeling that satisfied type of appropriate tiredness. It's already the fourth day of the month! Man, I better get to it. I have had a nagging hip ache for a few months so finally decided to take it to my spiritual physical healer. Ah, she's got great hands, wonderful body intuitions and questions that get to the core meta-physical issues my soul wrestles with. Can I stand on my own? Do my feet truly touch the earth? So I've been getting ready until yesterday then basking in the results. Hip pain, way down and on its way out. Before that I thought I would have my appointment on Thursday last week, so I went to the Russian hot tubs in preparation. The idea was to warm up in the hot tubs before my session. (my healer had moved her offices so the session didn't happen as planned). But hot tubs wipe me out for days. So I drifted through the holiday weekend, napping and riding out the after effects. Did get hopping on a long shot letter today. I read a job announcement and I didn't qualify, but, dang I completely nail part of the expectations. So I'm telling them that and will see what comes of it. Waiting to hear from several proposals out there. Continuing to make warm calls. Mannix: about that decision: What would your resistance do? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel