150 Steps In September

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps In September

Post by spiegel »

10. Marched into a piano shop, tried out 3 digital pianos, ordered and paid for a Roland RP101 :D (might seem impulsive, but I've been putting this off for years and it's now or never) 11. Ballet class And now to get on with the spring-cleaning! Drifts of paper all over the place... Mannix: How about a full de-cluttering *and* a trip? :)

Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Unity »

Mannix I replied about your dilemma on the other thread. JewelB - you have written a few words that have completely nailed it for me in so many different areas of resistance- excercise 15 times. Now, I'm doing well on the fitness front this month, but the kitchen/filing is another matter. It would be very beneficial and motivational to write goals using X amount of times. I mentioned on the other thread that 15 mins on the kitchen timer doesn't do it for me LOL Thanks for the inspiration and good luck with your steps.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Momen-tedium

Post by Lynx »

I have to get several smallish projects moving now before I get super busy with clients again. (nothing committed as yet). Accordingly, I'm dealing with condo stuff (done all I can do today), making warm calls (next), then taking stock of where I am. I want to patch in a section of my introduction I"ve written for my book into my base file. I wrote it on my mobile Alphasmart a few days ago. That'll be all for the book today, unless I want to do more. Yesterday my whole effort was studying the introduction of similar book to mine for how the writer structured it and making a note on my tcard for an alternate title for one of my chapters. Everyday something. I'm a bit surprised at my good feelings about a letter I'm dropping off cold to an international project. One of the meta-patterns that my body symptoms held revolved around "playing in the big leagues." It's simple: one page cover, some sample of my work, a brochure. That's all. Good to go. I smell a trap. As I feel better about myself I want to take on MORE. But I don't have more time, or space for that matter. So, can I feel better and take on less? This feeling wants to be put to USE? Like a physical thing, like a charged battery. Anyone else feel like that sometimes? For now, I'll resist doing more. Mannix I sense a tug a Mannix between one side of you that sez "I'm free of j-o-b structures and commitments cuz I work for myself" VS "You MUST declutter or you MUST plan a trip: choose dangit." Maybe desize the decision. What if you don't plan (commit) ahead of today what you will do? So, today may be a day to declutter, may not? And tomorrow, we'll just have to see? "I don't have a boss and I certainly won't accept bossing myself around!" or so it feels like one of your inner sides is saying. I think the PR firm for the other side might secretly be run by your mother and sisters. I use this trick sometimes. I put three options for one alternative and three options for the other on a list numbered 1 through 6. Say: 1. Decide where to donate stuff. 2. select and sell something. 3. ... | 4. Look at map of city for interesting walks 5. Look up restaurants in trip city paper 6. ... I make a list of time periods, six items long as well. Say ten minute increments from 10 to 60. Then I throw two dice with different colors, say red and white. The red one shows what I will do and the white says how long. So snake eyes (1-1) would be selecting a donation site for ten minutes (maybe calling to ask if they pick up and when). I always attend to my reactions when I see the results (joy, dread, indifference?). Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Spent most of today in a meeting, but also: 15. emailed “warm call” emails, promo-ing E-course 16. listening session 17. got a few responses to my promo email !! 18. planned ahead (a little) for weird meals Will respond the the responses tomorrow am!! :D --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Steps: 19. responded to the responses 20. organized for a project 21. a little yoga 22. lunch with a friend who supports, promotes, encourages all these ideas in my head! 23. sent her a follow up email 24. researched MOVES process, a little I'm feeling harried. . . let my organization system slip! --jewelB

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

12. Sorted several large stacks of paper into "recycle", "shred", and "file". 13. Hauling out "donate" stuff to the nearest donation bin, 2 shopping bags at a time (10 mins from downtown, no car!) 14. Ballet class in the morning, with a good stretch after 15. Massage and ice

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello again folks, I've been inconsistent with these boards again and much has happened since my last post. September will be a busy month. Here are the goals I want to work on Translation September is the most strategic month for prospecting in the arts and entertainment sector, something I want to expand on. Therefore, I will make it a priority to make cold calls each day. Other than that I will continue to work on current and future projects, which, I am glad to say, have been keeping me quite busy. Music I've made a list of goals I want to achieve with my metal band in the next three months or so; it is pretty detailed so I won't expose it all here, I'll just say that I want to work to ensure the success of our upcoming engagements and try and create new opportunities. I also want to keep up with my voice training and songwriting activities on a regular basis. Other than that, try to go to the gym a few times a week. And try to resolve the issue of these bed bugs!! I haven't been bitten lately, have been out of town for several days, but our neighbours upstairs mentioned their problem has not yet been resolved. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject and it seems my landlord will have to hire someone to treat the whole line of apartments where I live or else the bugs won't go away, they'll just move back and forth from one apartment to the next.
Last edited by Jane B on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Monday steps: 19. yoga 20. listening session 21. worked on Trsf project 22. sent second batch of promo emails 23. sensible eating! (for several days, now) feels like slow going. . . --jewelB

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

this week

Post by Lynx »

Lynx here. This week I have about 5 or 6 electricians scheduled to come look at my condo unit and give me advice on installing fans for the exhausts in the bathrooms. This is to get the water vapor blown out of here before it seeps through everything and peels our paint (expensive paint) job. As usual, nothing is direct, and several suggestions today added more steps to research. Also have a personal change in our condo: putting in modern electric wall heaters. I'm anticipating Friday getting a call for interviews for a project I pitched for. Hope so, as cash is dripping away. Started a thread over in general discussions about Senate Bill 1959 (snuffs out the first amendment). I want to do one thing a day on stopping or at least amending this bill. The house has passed it. Tomorrow/Tuesday, up early, meetings in the morning electrician in the PM. I've been tracking what holds my spirit of aliveness: it's something spontaneous. Having too much laid out in advance shrinks my motivation. There's also a trialog among creativity, discovery and tedium. Creativity flows from me for me and I love it, yet I wonder how dare I step into whatever it is where so many others have gone so well. Discovery is getting into something and finding out something I didn't know or doing it in a way I had done it before. If I can anticipate discovering something this is a great inducement to get engaged. Tedium is doing the dishes, the laundry, cleaning, catching up with routine email, etc. etc. etc. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

16. Uploaded some new artwork to my sketchblog 17. Bought a shredder and am slowly destroying old bills and paperwork with sensitive information on. 18. Ballet class, massage and ice after ...And the apartment is still in a bigger mess than before the spring-cleaning started!

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

OK - I'm back after a sight drama that got resolved. Wasn't even my drama. My goals this week are, well, money. Have to come up with a fifteen hundred bucks by the end of the month to stave off the wolf at the door. At this point I have a whole...twenty bucks. But I've got a full cupboard, so I've got food and a full tank of gas...however far that takes me. My plan for this: Sell Stuff! Got this idea from reading the beginning of this thread. Also have some junk that b/f abandoned in hopes that I could get some money from it. So, we'll see what I can get. Fortunately I have a camera, so pics of the junk on craigslist are going to be the selected medium of choice. Well, that and listing on some of the other places online I imagine might work. My other plan: Do some cold-calling for sign-painting and see if the energy I invested in my website will work for me as planned. Probably will get something like $500. that way pretty easily. I know I could take a "good enough" which would be pretty much ANY job, but who is hiring right now? Guess I could check the sign making place in Waikoloa in case they might hire me now, because they did tell me to come back in a month... So that's on the list. OK...now I'm going to hit the hay so I can start calling early in the AM. Nice to see you steppers are still at it and here to keep me honest. :wink:

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Wow Speigel - congrats on the new piano! I always look at the new ones, and then search the instruments: used sections where I find someone hard up selling one used half price. But this way you get one with a warranty! What is your link to the sketch-blog? Hey Lynx: thanks for making me aware of Senate Bill 1959 (snuffs out the first amendment). Describing about the differences between the three you've outlined sounds constructive...tell me more? Discovery sounds a little as if it's a part of creativity... If you want to do MORE, go for the elegant, effortless, efficiency so you're doing more of what you want with less energy expended. JewelB: keep sloggin' thru the slow stuff! You're the proof that a little bit every day adds up over time! JaneB: hey, I also met someone this weekend. Too soon to tell, but I like him. He's close to a hundred mile round trip to go see. Kind of weird when you must pay to see the sweetie. A hundred mile relationship! hey - could be worth it. Maybe you could both become double agents...You know that a musician is always more famous in the place where they don't live, right? So just keep getting gigs in between your two towns...many used RVs for sale now too. Unity: well, yeah, guess I need to add in my swimming to my goals this month also.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Trialog

Post by Lynx »

An8el: Describing about the differences between the three you've outlined sounds constructive...tell me more? Discovery sounds a little as if it's a part of creativity... If you want to do MORE, go for the elegant, effortless, efficiency so you're doing more of what you want with less energy expended. My aim is not to do MORE, the less the tedious stuff the better. Our house is usually chaotic as neither myself nor my partner have much heart or time for that stuff. Email is just the bane, rather a lot less of that. Trying to arrange meetings with lots of people, less of that, too. When I do want to engage, how it feels is up to chance, sometimes elegant, etc. sometimes not. The flow state is wonderful but not always in evidence. Discovery and creativity are related, same coin, different sides. About today: feeling feisty, still tired but less so. went apple picking yesterday and have to get them into the dehydrator before more nectarines come on saturday. about a hour of work on a draft agenda for a workshop on school district culture I'm leading then eating,getting dressed, out of here to a meeting on health care policy leadership then back here for a few hours working on a grant proposal. Any question are due in a week, but I don't want to wait till the last moment to get going. My one thing a day on S. 1959 (one race of a committee member). And my one thing a day on my book (explain more why I'm doing this for the introduction). then out tonite to celebrate my partner's birthday with fancy dessert (coconut cream pie). tomorrow is fully booked. lynx

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

19. Sorting, chucking, shredding, still not making a dent in the mess 20. Remedial massage this morning on my neck and shoulders - therapist was suitably horrified at the stiffness/tightness of my muscles. I'm a little more relaxed now, but quite sore, and I think she's 'woken up' some very painful hotspots. Between that and my recurrent low back pain, it's been quite a job this week sitting still long enough to do some work! An8el: I hadn't even thought about warranties! :D I could have shopped around a lot more, but then I've been shopping around for years, it feels like. And the sketchblog link is in my signature line :)

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello folks, Checking in after several eventful days, so I warn you in advance this might be a little long. spiegel, I commend you for buying that piano. It must feel very liberating after having contemplated it for years. Mannix are you still in a dilemma about going on a trip or de-cluttering to have a house party? I find the others have given interesting suggestions. Lynx, I like the idea you have with the dice and the numbered steps. Mannix, to me, what stood out from your post is when you say that perhaps if you did some serious work on the house, you would feel motivated to travel and you could use this as a reward. In my book, if travelling is what I really wanted to do, I wouldn't put so much effort into decluttering my house! On the other hand, if I were to put a lot of effort into embellishing a room in my house, I would want to stay and enjoy it rather than take a trip! To me it seems to me like you want to achieve both, and you could eventually, it's just a matter of figuring out which one you'd rather do right now. Lynx I also find your triality of discovery, creativity and tedium interesting. Can you tell me more about creativity?
Creativity flows from me for me and I love it, yet I wonder how dare I step into whatever it is where so many others have gone so well.
Not sure I understand what you mean by this but I would like to. Is this a sort of fear of facing mediocrity by stepping into some creative venture? Speaking of creativity, I've begun exploring a method called Immersion Composition with the drummer of my band. Basically it's a set of songwriting techniques (or "games") destined to help overcome creative blocks, which involve immersing yourself totally in the creative process for a certain length of time. Yesterday my drummer and I tried one of these "games", which consisted of cloistering ourselves into our respective homes for a 12 hour stretch or more and trying to write and record as many songs as we can, the aim being 20. I got up to 8. I'm proud of myself. Nowhere near 20, but still, it's the first time I've ever written that many songs in one day. And I came up with a lot of crazy stuff I never would have thought up in a more "conventional" songwriting session. I feel like these techniques have a lot of potential. I look forward to hearing what my bandmate has come up with. An8el, did I say the guy lived a hundred miles away? Actually it's more like 450 miles. The bus trip from his place to mine lasted 11 hours, including the time between bus transfers. I'm feeling a little disappointed today. One of the bands I play in had a number of shows lined up in the next couple of months and told me they have decided to do them without me. In October, we would be playing several dates in the area where the guy I've started seeing lives, which I was really looking forward to. And in November, a possible European tour, which I found really exciting since I've never been to Europe. To explain their reasons in detail would be a bit complicated, so I will just say that their decision was the result of my recent decision to become less involved with their band. There are no hard feelings or anything, so I'm trying to look on the bright side. For instance, I'm thinking that if that guy I'm seeing who lives far really wants to see me, it will be more difficult now that I'm not playing the shows, so I will find out if he is willing to make an extra effort to make it happen. In the midst of all of this I've been finding the time to cold call translation prospects and work on my singing. My voice teacher gave me a referral for a music TV channel that was in the casting process for an advertisement. I kind of freaked out when they called me and turned the part down because I wasn't expecting it and it didn't seem to be a good fit. Later I spoke about it with my teacher and realized I should have at least gone to the audition. I will try to do this in the future. In any case, I'm glad to see this new voice teacher sees enough potential in me to recommend me for auditions. Have a great day everyone. JB