150 Steps In September

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps In September

Post by spiegel »

21. Ballet class this morning, with a good stretch after 22. Strengthening exercises, massage, ice down Piano is still about a week away, and...the guy in the shop apparently had a brainfart and thought the piano bench was included, and it's not. So, GRRRRR!

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

yes - probably your voice teacher is thinking of all auditions to be "character-building" experiences - in training for the time when you do get the part(s)! Sales people are clueless and often give the wrong impressions in their zeal and happiness that someone is actually buying something from them. AT&T cellphone sales people actually got sued over how often they misrepresented things to customers... As for me, got a little gig painting a house that is making me some bucks! All that swimming I've been doing means my arms are strong enough to do this. Yipppppeeeee! So - hafta get to that...

marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by marymary »

Today seems to be my first step in September. Having taken it into my head that I could resume jogging where I left off some years ago, I have barely been able to move for two weeks. So, today, step one is "to step."

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

step quietly among the dead?

Post by Lynx »

JaneB: Not sure I understand what you mean by this but I would like to. Is this a sort of fear of facing mediocrity by stepping into some creative venture? Naw, not being mediocre, the work I'm doing on my book on the different powers and loves in our lives will touch on works by people like Aristotle, Plato, Machiavelli, Alexander Hamilton, Tom Paine, Mary Parker Follett, Vaclav Havel, Rollo May, and others. One way I'll get around this is to just quote them outright and let them speak for themselves. Part is I'm taking some of them on. Machiavelli is clearly promoting one of the more destructive views of power: the interest of the "state" outranks everything else. He twists the concept of "virtue" to mean a 'prince" must bully and scheme and otherwise do whatever is necessary to have his way, sorry, to preserve the state. This after his own spell of being tortured for being a possible spy! I may put Mr. M in dialog with Mr. Havel, that would be creative and put me outside strictly keeping to the facts. Mr H may take offense (or then again he might like it). Ultimately, and this is useful for me to say here, ultimately my right to write is in my hands, not others, not books, not live or dead figures. But it's a challenge as some of this stuff I started reading in college and may not be able to track back to where I learned something. And I might say something that is well known as being a famous concept by someone. I may not know that. I guess that what's readers and editors are for. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

marymary
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by marymary »

Getting back into life after my injury. This weekend I did maintenance (of self and environs), worked a bit on a history project I've got going, and enjoyed getting out and about. I finished that One Month to Live project last week. It was quite interesting in terms of cutting things down to size and helping to sort the important from the "who cares," yet at times I found the exhortations to tithing unwanted. It reminded my of Richard Pryor as Daddy Rich in Car Wash, when he said "there's a place for money in this world and it's right here in my pocket." But that is just IMHO. I'm updating my resumes online and gearing up for some searching. Nothing is wrong but I am wondering if there is "better" or "better for me" out there. In many respects, I would like "better" to be where I am, but with some improvements. I keep working on tweaking things and inventing new things to do, which I truly enjoy. There is nothing quite so fun as creating your own job. What I want is more of this, and it may or may not prove to be time for a move. No harm exploring, and nice to do so while there's no pressure.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, marymary, glad to see you are getting over your injury and eager to get back into the swing of things. I have to say I totally agree with this: "there is nothing quite so fun as creating your own job". Oh yeah. I've been 100% self-employed for nearly two years now, and though there have definitely been ups and downs, there is nothing quite like the sense of freedom it provides. I wish you luck in your exploration. Lynx, I enjoyed learning more about your book, it seems quite interesting. I have to say that as a musician I can totally relate to the following: "I might say something that is well known as being a famous concept by someone". Everytime I get a musical idea I am excited about I'm always wondering if it's been done before or if I've unintentionally ripped it off. I've been more or less regular with these boards but I have to say I've been rather diligent with my goals. Been consistently doing my voice practice and setting aside an hour per working day to make prospective calls. This week I also have to do a bit of promotion for my band's next show in two weeks.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, I've been away a short while, fighting resistance masquerading as the emotional crisis again. :? I sat down with Barbara's book, "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was." In one of the early chapters, she notes all the benefits of getting into action and working on any goal. So with that in mind, I'm getting "back on the horse." For now, I will be working on the house decluttering goal, rather than let resistance keep me sitting on my duff wondering if it's the right goal to be working on now. The plan is to have at least half of the ground floor decluttered one month from now. (Observation: setting deadlines raises my fear level!) I also have a few smaller goals I'm going to work on. For this week: 1. Schedule 1-2 hours in the evening for husband and I to work on cluttered living room. Aiming for tomorrow evening and hopefully one other evening before this Thursday. 2. For my blog, e-mail two people with questions and do some research on the property's history. Write at least 1 entry. 3. Come up with 2 possible daytrips for exploring the abandonned Pennsylvania Turnpike (now a state park, I believe). Been there once, looking for sections we didn't visit the first time. 4. Clean out refrigerator, find and cook 1 dinner recipe at home. Lynx and Jane, thanks for your follow-up on my travel vs. cleaning house dilemma. Lynx, I like the observation about my mom and sisters running a PR firm inside my head! A tidy house would definitely make my mom happy. As for me ... I'm getting tired of seeing random piles of stuff that only get larger, rooms that desperately need a paint job but need to have stuff moved out of them before we can get near the walls, etc. It would definitely make me happy to get a facelift for our house at this point. As for the conflict between "I MUST choose a goal" versus "I can call the shots as a self-employed person," I'm still torn between the two. Am I setting goals and deadlines out of fear of what others might think if I'm not busy all the time? Or am I missing out on things I'd really love because resistance is dampening my enthusiasm and holding me in my safe routine? Still working on this one. Jane, since I hadn't done anything in the direction of travel for several months, I thought working on the goal of decluttering would at least get me working on something. Maybe then the desire to plan a trip would reemerge. Although, with my luck, it will emerge in the middle of a decluttering project. :) Jane, sorry you're still dealing with those bugs! I hope the landlord gets on the stick and gets rid of them! In the meantime, is it possible to move? Maybe closer to the new guy in your life? Jewell, keep up the good work. It always seems like progress comes more slowly than we'd like. Spiegel, someone on the clutter thread told me a room-in-progress often looks messier than before you started, so hang in there! (Was it you who said that, by the way?) An8el, how are the income streams coming along? Oh dear, and what was the sight drama? OK, off to bed, and then stepping anew, -- Mannix
Last edited by Mannix on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Crossover Week?

Post by Lynx »

Hi all, My gut sense is that this will be a crossover week for me in some regards. How? Don't know. From where to where? dunno that either. Just confirmed that a possible interview appointment won't be set until next week/freeing this week for getting out of town. There's also a proposal I'd be ideal for, but one of the sponsors and I have a past: We didn't share the same philosophy and approach. I suspect, if given the chance, this person would deep six my proposal. Alas, we move on. Mannix: The plan is to have at least half of the ground floor decluttered one month from now. (Observation: setting deadlines raises my fear level!) Ah, the crafting of the goal statement is so vital, and one sure thing we have 100% control over. If the current version brings up resistance or fear, keep re-editing it. It's usually short, anyway. I don't always follow my own advice, but when I do it's great fun. I'm reminded of Maria Irene Fornes's quote that there is two sides to us/one that wants to do it and one that doesn't. The motivated side has to keep tricking the other side. When I was at my loneliest I took on finding a girlfriend as a project. I kept fiddling with the goal statement until I found one that left me feeling relaxed. The final variant was so absurd that thinking of it makes me smile even today, thirty years later: I would sleep with seven women in seven days! Ha, totally out of reach, but what fun might be had in the trying! Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Made a hundred and fifty so far...now at least I have wiggle room to make more money - because it takes money to make money. I'm here to brag that I FINALLY got my billing for my publishing biz printed out. To give you an idea how LONG I've been putting THAT off - well, the date was last July. Next step is to print out the address labels - and I even found the destructions reminding me how to do that...which is part of the reason why I am motivated to put it off indefinitely. Then, all I need to do is get some envelopes and stamps and start stuffin'. No guarantee that people can afford to pay the bills when I send 'em, but at least I've done that. Heading to the hardware store to get the fuse for my car's headlights that blew out the other night on the way home. Had to spend the night in my car, but hey, at least it saved me the gas to get to work in the morning and got me started early yesterday morning. No work today, so there's errands to do... More later...

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, So Lynx, care to tell us the outcome of your "seven ladies" goal? :wink: Hope you get a chance to get out of town and reflect on where you might be going next. I feel like I'm in that state, too. My fear of deadlines has to be coming from a couple jobs I held about 15 years ago. They were both deadline-intensive. You had to plan your life around making the deadline, or expect to get called into the office and get yelled at by the boss and possibly his boss. Since then, I've been living my life without deadlnes as much as possible. Guess I've got some negotiating to do with myself. An8el, glad you're making some dough. Sorry you had to sleep in your car! That sounds scary. Congratulations on getting your billing done. I always drag my feet on that, too. Seems funny we should resist the tasks that help us bring in the cash. Yesterday, stuck to the plan and worked on decluttering project, even though it was relatively late in the evening. Didn't spend an entire hour on the job, but I got my husband to go through a box of his stuff and determine the entire thing was trash and could just be thrown out. Strangely, I also found some illustrated stories I'd done as a child back in the 70s! I thought they had disappeared years ago! Maybe they're here now to give me a message on another goal - give drawing/cartooning another try! I also e-mailed two people requesting information for my blog. Heard back from one but his news wasn't very promising. I think the other one has decided not to write back. I may have to put an end to this search or think up some new leads, as all the ones I was following have come up empty. Off to Alexander lesson, then I'll figure out the steps for today. Have a good day, everyone! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Seven for Seven

Post by Lynx »

Well, Mannix, it was more stretched out and I don't think I got higher than 4 over a set of years. :( or :D Haven't had much need to continue my quest as I my current relationship is clocking 26 years this November. Tho I am a chronic flirt, to stay in practice. Today, checked email, vaguely hoping a request for proposal had a previous consultant (in which case my chances would decline considerably). Now I learn that isn't the case, and I must decide TODAY whether I'm all in or will pass the hand. I feel like I will go in, keep it as simple as I'm capable and see what luck has in store. Congrats An8el on getting some income and the fuse! Get the billing out already! JaneB, it seems you are getting just better and better. So busy, yet keeping the discipline of making those calls, doing your voice exercises. For a long time I would waffle, about something that is like going to commercial auditions for you. Then I switched and started trying more and found how hard it was to get the offer! So give it a try. Finding my decision to let each day reveal itself, rather than trying to plan it out too far in advance, has relaxed me a lot. Check out voo2do.com for list making. I've just discovered it, nothing to download as it's all on the www. L

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Mannix, cool about finding some creative project you did in the 1970s!!! Remember how I ran across a story my dad saved that I wrote when I was seven. It had a drawing of a goat statue that was set on my bedside table, (since I was a Capricorn, probably) about a lion who was always "hungary," no matter what he ate. :lol: Got envelopes, got stamps, then tackled the making of the address list a little more this evening. Of course the gleaning to assemble the list of addresses is the most time-consuming part of doing the mailing. I always forget about that. Got stopped because I couldn't find a pencil. (Keep all the records in pencil of when people paid, etc. and had to transfer a few notes on the records.) I had to remind myself, as I looked everywhere for the four pencils that I knew were somewhere just a couple of days ago, that there was quite a bit that I could do without a pencil. Fuses were OK, but extracted what was left of the bulbs. Walked to the parts store down the road and showed them the damaged headlamps. Turns out when the seals get stiff over time, they allow some water to leak into them and then, if the lights are on, it makes the lamps shatter. So - bought the new ones - problem solved. Cost less than twenty bucks! The guys I played pool with told me that not putting my skin oil on the bulbs while installing them was important - voila! Then later this afternoon I got a call from someone who I'd met through Konaweb (a gathering place for wannabe Hawaii residents) who was on the island visiting from Seattle. The guys wanted to play some pool - and the closest table was $12. in gas away...but I did it anyway and really enjoyed myself. Made a left-handed bank shot to sink the eight ball successfully that I got a high five for! I'm a right-handed player who has entertained myself whenever I am teaching someone else to play beginning pool by shooting left handed. With the headlights fixed, got to play pool until I got so tired I couldn't shoot. Felt like a thankful reward. Today has been the best day I've had in a long time. This morning I'm off to Hilo to make an appointment, maybe go to the dollar movie, and see if I can scare up some sign making work.

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

23. Ballet class tonight, and I'm sitting here with an ice pack on ... and that's it for today.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, Hey, Lynx, you did meet 4 and you made it happen! Congratulations on being with your partner for 26 years! And I admire your decision on accepting the proprosal. No fear of the unknown there! An8el, the all-night pool sounds like fun. My story was about a racehorse. The young heroine meets this horse and the owners allow her to ride the horse and hang out at the stable. I really need to reread it. It may have some pure components of an ideal day for me. (Actually, when I make my weekly visit to the horse farm, I am hanging out at the stable with some [retired] racehorses! Wow, it really happened. Cool!) Speigel, ballet class ... whew! Hope you're not too sore today. I'm a total chowder-head this morning. This is about the third consecutive night I've had trouble sleeping. Even though I was tired, I couldn't fall asleep! I need to run some errands today, but I don't trust myself to drive and I'm not sure how much caffeine I should have. Resistance seems to be playing all kinds of little tricks on my body, in addition to insomnia. I feel I need to take a step back and baby myself a little or else I'm going to get sick. On the other hand, now that I've really recognized the resistance, I don't want to return to standing still. Where is the happy medium here? In other news, I got an e-mail from myself this morning, and it was spam! So I guess I'll have to set up a new address; I've had this one for a long time. What a pain. Update on steps to follow -- Mannix
Last edited by Mannix on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

For this week: (Wednesday) 1. Schedule 1-2 hours in the evening for husband and I to work on cluttered living room. Aiming for tomorrow evening and hopefully one other evening before this Thursday. Spent about 45 minutes on project on Monday. Put together a box of trash that can be thrown out. For today, schedule at least 2 more work sessions between now and next Monday. 2. For my blog, e-mail two people with questions and do some research on the property's history. Write at least 1 entry. Respond to e-mail received yesterday and set up a meeting. Write a blog entry today. 3. Come up with 2 possible daytrips for exploring the abandonned Pennsylvania Turnpike (now a state park, I believe). Been there once, looking for sections we didn't visit the first time. Schedule time to do this before Saturday. 4. Clean out refrigerator, find and cook 1 dinner recipe at home. Start cleaning out fridge. Make a big salad for dinner tonight, or check for a recipe that uses ingredients we have on hand. New business: -- Try again to see if I can recover all the jpg files I had on this computer. The folders are still there; the pictures have all gone away. Had one tech look at it and he said I'll just have to deal with it. I hate this computer. -- Start setting up an e-mail address to replace the one that's been spamified, and all my friends use. Again, I hate this computer. -- Make sure all important documents and files are backed up. -- Catch up on paying bills. -- Teach 2 students and practice. -- Get cleaning supplies for cleaning lady tomorrow. -- Work out? Change up sleep environment? Think I'm ready for a nap. Have a good day, everybody, -- Mannix