150 Steps in October

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

150 Steps in October

Post by Mannix »

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Lynx »

New month, 1 - 10. Didn't do much with my blog in Sept, so I'm eager to add more this month. Always thinking that would make a great blog and then never writing it out. I think I'll use the draft more more and just compose during idle times and post later. (10 x) 11-13. Ditto about my web site. (3x) 14 - 19. I need work, people! (I know, it's a huge club). So will be answering all sorts of ads for intermittent jobs. (6x) Today, 20-36. Printing out all the forms the county needs to just keep me on the list for later. Numbering them, starting at the top and going through the stack. 17x. 38-39. Leaving after lunch to gather more herbs in the herb garden while the sun shines and before the rain. Then to the farmer's market in search of melon. 40. Meeting up with a new friend. 41-50. Home tonite to deal with email. 10x L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: 150 Steps in October

Post by jewelB »

I so over reached last month, that I'm a little hesitant to set goals. . . but will anyway! :? General Work Goals continue with workshops recruiting, presenting. . . repeat networking Membership Forum write 25 sample entries tweak format E- Course continue! E-Course II check for interest within target market Meditation CD get brave set and have play date Listening Sessions continue finish reading Book chapter outline Fitness and nutrition continue with yoga lose 4 pounds I must confess. . . as I was evaluating September, I decided I needed to create a weekly work form. (again -- yikes!!) I'm hoping that each weekend I'll plan for the following week, slotting in longer term projects, too. ( I tend to concentrate only on immediate to dos.) Here's to a broader focus (and a thinner body!!) --jewelB

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Today's steps: 1. prepared for tomorrow’s workshop 2. bought more clipboards 3. cooked veggie chili 4-5. wrote 2 sample forum entries 6. read it's a start! -jewelB

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

OK, I'm in for this month...really slogged through things last month despite resistance that was acting like true depression. Read this thing tonight of how goals that serve the ego don't have as much strength and purpose behind them as goals that serve the soul. So, from what I know about myself, I would say the single purpose that serves my own soul is being free. My large-term soul goals have always been to demonstrate freedom in how I live my life. The strategy of how I have been doing this is to be emotionally free enough and make enough free time in my life to demonstrate compassion to others and help them in practical ways. Recently, I'm working on helping myself out more because I've gotten over-extended. So my goal is to demonstrate more compassion with and toward myself for at least a few more months before I devote a significant amount of time to helping others. So with that in mind, my goals are: To swim and walk more often - demonstrating further freedom of movement and strength. To make some art purely for myself - to demonstrate my freedom to invent, appreciate beauty and maybe even create insight. To attend a weekly talk to make some new friends - to demonstrate freedom of thought and open-minded attitude. To play the array mbira regularly and learn three new tunes with altered chords - to feel freer with being able to play inventively with other musicians. To make enough $ to pay for a plane ticket ASAP - to be free to travel in Nov.; taking my free time to visit with my friends; to feel freer of so much stuff I still have in storage that I'll have a chance to give away and/or sell while I'm there; to be free to make art on big surfaces that amuses people and inspires them to also feel creative. To cold-call potential jobs - to be free to make some money at doing something fun that uses skills I've already practiced. To repair and sell the SUV - to be free of an albatross that will help fund my other projects. Also really enjoyed a four-square sectioning that defined goals in terms of importance and urgency. Of course, it's a no-brainer to attend to things that are urgent and important; and to put off goals that are neither important nor urgent. But I found that I need to spend more time on goals that are not urgent but are also important. I need to take less time on goals that are urgent but not important. Urgency sucks me in, as it must do for lots of people.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, happy October! I have a number of projects I'd like to work on this month. Not sure I'll be able to finish them by the end of October, but it would be a good month if I could maintain focus and not let resistance throw everything into a blur (again). So, in no particular order: 1. Continue developing habit of attending classes at the gym 3 times per week (4 weekly workouts total). Cook/eat dinner at home 4 days per week. 2. Continue living room declutter project by emptying remaining boxes. Also take care of resulting tasks, like moving out cardboard boxes, calling charity to pick up unused items. Generate 3 ideas for delegating at least some of the overall project so it gets done and my time is free for other things. (Gasp!) 3. Continue reading about resistance techniques and do exercises in "I Could Do Anything if I Only Knew What It Was." Don't let bad moods or an overwhelming desire to switch goals keep me from making progress. 4. Transfer my Alexander Technique homework assignment to "notice people" into an overall life exercise. Helps keep me centered in the present and also realize how much time I've been spending in safe isolation. Not good. Try to get out of the house most weekday mornings. Our public library now has wireless internet, so I can come here and get a lot done! 5. This one has been on the plate a long time, and I keep putting it off: Respond to feelings of burn-out from teaching violin and performing at weddings. This month, I will take these feelings seriously and set specific goals accordingly. Not the greatest time economically, but I won't burn any bridges. Yup, I think that's plenty for now. Hope everyone is enjoying their Fall day, -- Mannix

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Steps for Oct. 2: 1. Take step class at the gym. (Done.) 2. "Notice people": strike up a friendly conversation with class instructor about how I liked her choice of music. (Yay, I'm active!) Done! :D 3. Spend quality time with 3-year-old nephew, who will hopefully help socialize our cats. 4. Find and cook chicken recipe. Ask husband to stop at grocery store salad bar on the way home from work. 5. Write a blog entry on my meeting with vice-president of the Herndon Historical Society. E-mail her a thank-you note and a link to the blog. Jewell, I'm trying a weekly form, too. I think it really helps to block time to work on a particular goal as well. Good luck! Lynx, if you write your blog drafts and then post them, at least you don't have to worry about losing what you wrote to an Internet glitch. :wink: Good luck with your job hunt. An8el, I'm there with you on the urgent-but-unimportant tasks. For me, if there's a deadline attached, my mind seems to instantly focus on the deadline. I can also get myself in trouble by agreeing to "help someone out" when they need an answer right away. If I'd thought about it for a moment, maybe that time could have been better used pursuing one of my goals. Looks like it's about time to leave the library and go back out into the real world. -- Mannix

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

Just keepin' on truckin'.... see if I can get past the 30-odd steps I managed last month :) 1. Ballet class (2 nights ago) 2. Just spent an hour at the piano hitting all the wrong notes!

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Exercise: Walked over to the house to fetch my stuff I left in the shower - 1 1/2 miles at a pretty fast clip. Walked to town and did errands instead of doing them on the way out of town while driving.n Forgot the right card to use at the gas station for a fill-up, which was near the house, so walked to the house and back and left my car at the gas station. This is good because the driveway to my house is steep. Got into my bathing suit this afternoon, then realized the pool was closed and it was raining outside. Which shouldn't have made any difference if you're getting wet anyway, but I like to walk there and back. Spent lots of time on a website called http://www.gratefulness.org this morning. Lit a candle for my own recovery so I can feel generous and more giving to myself. Talked to a friend in Colorado on Skype. Invited two of my new friends over tonight to come stay for the weekend. Signed myself up for a class on encouraging creativity. As if I need it...well, guess the inspiration is lacking - and that's what I really need. Talked to my bookkeeper friend in CA about details. Didn't get upset and was supportive when my only Alexander student told me about her financial troubles. We're both hoping that she'll be in a better position come Dec. when I plan to return from doing holiday windows in CA. Checked out flights. There's a cheap one that makes me ride all the way from Kona to Phoenix before I get to Oakland, but hey, who cares if I'm on a plane for ten hours? Wished I had the money to buy it, but that will come soon. Paid my all my phone bills (three of them) online. That was a big relief that I was able to do that finally. Arranged to have a backyard mechanic come over and price what's needed to fix the albatross before I sell it. We'll see if he shows up.

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello all, Argh...I had just written a rather long post and it somehow vanished. Anyways. As I was saying in that post, I have decided to try a different angle for my goals this month. I really like this community but I've realized that the reason I don't necessarily post each day, number my steps, etc. is because I have a lot of accountability in my life to make sure I follow through with my important goals, such as music, my translation business, etc. However, lately I really feel like I want to meet someone and have been neglecting that aspect of my personal life with the easy excuse that I don't have the time. I did a preliminary flowchart/brainstorming session on the topic last night and realized there was a lot I could do right now to move towards that goal. Therefore, my goal this month will be to try and take at least 1 step per day in this direction. It could be a really small step like spending 1 minute polishing that flowchart or introducing myself to someone new at a party or just visiting the home page of a dating site. And of course, reporting the steps here. Also, the various problems at my apartment are not all resolved but are becoming more manageable. We've had some plumbing issues and the plumber has been difficult to deal with. My neighbours upstairs are going through all the same problems as us, and last night we were able to laugh it off. Due to the plumbing problems, there is now a big hole in my kitchen ceiling, and last night we were goofing off, passing various objects through the hole like a soup can on a string to see if we could communicate. I felt it was a great relief to laugh it off after all the stress and negative vibes it had been causing. An8el, I like what you wrote about
goals that serve the ego don't have as much strength and purpose behind them as goals that serve the soul
. That made me thing. Also like how you've tried to apply that to your goals this month. Mannix, so sorry to hear you're feeling burned out about your teaching and wedding gigs. However, I commend you for choosing to respond to the way you feel in spite of the challenging financial situation. Happy October everyone!

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

I'm impressed with the ways that many are supporting their human side! Setting goals on making connections and taking good care of self! yeah!! We're off and running! Since last time: 7. Successful workshop !! a triumph under deeply stressful circumstances!! yea me! :-) 8. Help participant join the forum 9. Healthy eating in weird circumstances 10. Touched base on Sun. morning meeting 11. Posted materials to forum 12. Emailed participants 13. Organized week one materials 14. Created new mail group 15. Sent resiliency newsletter 16. Created next month’s newsletter 17. Worked on Week 2 material 18. Worked on Teleconference material Whew! :lol:

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Well, it's a day late but I successfully finished the steps I listed earlier. Nephew played with one of the cats. The other one is more stand-offish, which has me a little concerned. After that, we took pictures with my camera. He wanted to take pictures of the two of us lying on the floor looking up at the camera. We did that for awhile, then he thought it would be fun to STOMP on my stomach without warning. While wearing shoes. :evil: Of course, I yelled because it really hurt and he started crying and I told him he should never ever do that again to anyone. He said he was sorry. I don't think there was any malicious intent involved, but it took a lot to keep my temper. Just finished my blog entry and thank you note to my "source." As I was writing it, I was thinking of all kinds of other questions I could have asked her. She said I could come by her house some time, so hopefully I'll get to ask some follow-up questions then. Cooked chicken tonight. Then husband left before dinner and I didn't feel like a big meal. So I put the chicken in the fridge and got out a can of soup. :) Tomorrow I'm planning to take a class at the gym and then a wedding. The wedding site is pretty far away, so don't know that I'll get much else done. I was going to spend the night at my parents, who live nearby, but they haven't returned my call so maybe I'll just come back here and veg out. Spiegel, way to go on your class! If you just play the black keys on the piano, you should get some interesting melodies. An8el, I hope you can work it out with your Alexander student. There's nothing worse than having to listen to all the reasons a student can't afford your services anymore. Great job with the walking, and hope that mechanic showed up. Jane, thanks for the support on my "burn-out" project. It's time to acknowledge the situation, and see what I can do about it. I think you're on the right track with your flow chart. It might also help to find a phone buddy who will hear what you did on this goal at a certain time. As much as I complain about mine, a lot of my goals would otherwise be on the eternal "someday" shelf. Good luck! OK, time to put in my football picks for the week. Who do we like in the Redskins/Eagles game? -- Mannix

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

3. Ballet class this morning 4. Piano practice 5. Googling for piano teachers... Mannix: Ouch!!! Hope you're OK and not too sore! :shock: And er... I dimly recall a childhood piece in which you held an orange in your right hand and used that to play on the black keys... :D

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Just a few days in and we're rolling! Lynx -- Clue me in (again, I think) on your numbering system that you used in your first Oct. post. Mannix-- yeah! for not losing your temper-- that's so hard when you're hurting. Let me know how your weekly schedule works for you-- and thanks for getting us started again this month! speigel-- ballet class! sounds so good. . . an8el-- to make some art purely for yourself. such wisdom! (at so many levels!!) I love, love gratefulness.org JaneB-- you mentioned flowchart/brainstorming. Will you share more? (when you have the time. . . ) I'm still enjoying the vision of you and a neighbor passing cans thru the ceiling/floor. . . what a hoot! What a great attitude! Saturday morning steps: 19. all sorts of straightening/sorting (not in my office which is still a disaster-- a major disaster!) 20. helpfully, healthfully responded to a slightly critical poster, offering more background info (which I should have offered in the first place. . . I'm learning! 21. temporarily joining a yoga group. . . found and cleaned a foam pad for my knees! I love autumn! --jewelB

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

With the money that just showed up, I guess I ended up getting my objective of last month only a few days later than my deadline was. Weird, huh? Hey JewelB - Yeah, it's been a lifetime of doing art for others by catering to their needs or tastes. I've been doing that soooo long that I do not know which of my own criteria I want to apply - so I make NO art of my own. Of course it is complicated by the fact that I can work and imitate just about any style of art. So, I signed up for a day workshop (free!) that I'm waiting to attend today for women who want to awaken their creativity. It's designed for beginners, but figure that my own creativity needs to be reawakened because I've seemed to have abandoned it, hopefully only temporarily. Part of my strategy to "line my own well" as the I Ching would say, before I go on putting other's needs first. Yea! mechanic showed up at 8am this am - wow, I was so shocked that he was on time, given the ADD shape of the inside of his car. Including parts, the damage is only $250 to get everything fixed correctly, (which my ex estimated at $600. worth in a shop.) Love those shade tree mechanics... More walking: Went shopping for groceries - walked to the store and back. Parked on the other side of the shopping center so I could walk more. Rode my bike to drop off papers near the library and returned books. Walked to the bank from my house instead of doing errands on my way out of town in the car. Again - I got into my swimming suit but DIDN'T make it to the pool. Figure that it's only a matter of time before my strategy of getting ready to swim is going to work to get me exercising...one of these times. Usually once I get over this hump, I find it easier to continue. Seem to have issues with inertia.