150 Steps in October

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

clue in

Post by Lynx »

Lynx -- Clue me in (again, I think) on your numbering system that you used in your first Oct. post. It's easy, I want to get 10 blogs written this month (so that's 1-10) and three updates on the Web site (that 11-13) or whatever I put, etc. Today I'll focus on three interesting job/gig possibilities that I uncovered (#s 14-19). I want to get to 5 this month. Group facilitator for parent training program at Children's Home Society using John Gottman's ideas and research. Easy set of my skills. Coordinate the community advisory board for Sound Transit (regional transportation authority). Could do it, have been working hard at Sound Transit over the last two years on different projects. Wildest card because it pulls on several strings: help an investment and venture capital research company build and market it's database of VC, hedge funds, etc. This pulls be back to database work which I swore to avoid after handling over 30 K names in several years at different gigs in NYC. This pulls be forward to get steeped in the investment world, and doubtless it will gift me with me heads up on what may be likely investment wise (of course using only public information). This is part of my remake of my financial situation strategy (along with steady gig which this would be and a counseling partner to deal with the stress/ambiguities and emotional rides—still open). It's third on the list after the other two are done. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in October

Post by Mannix »

Quick check-in for Saturday: 6. Got up and attended 9am spinning class at the gym. 7. I give myself another step credit for making eye contact with gym instructor during class and smiling. This simple step really helps me feel more connected with the rest of the world. I hadn't realized how much I was insulating myself. For Saturday night and Sunday: Watch DVDs and NFL games. Grocery shopping with husband. Review last week's weekly grid and set up one for the new week. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hi all, Checking in to report the first steps of my plan to be more proactive about meeting new people. Yesterday 1. Spent about 20 minutes polishing the flowchart I had started and doing a bit more brainstorming 2. Went out with some girls I met recently through a mutual friend. Getting to know new people is a relevant step even if it's not guys, as it allows me to expand my social network. And today: 3. Spent a wonderful day with these same new friends. We were selected to be extras in the upcoming music video of a local artist I like. I happened to be on the artist's mailing list and he sent a message saying he was looking for female extras for the video. I knew one of the gals was a fan so I suggested we could do it for fun, and we were selected. I also saw this as a good networking opportunity for my music. The band in question has an established following on the local music scene. Among other things, I think that my metal band would be a great opening act for their shows, and now that the connection is made I am going to try and make it happen. To be continued...

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Went to the 5 hour workshop for (in my case re-) awakening artistic creativity. About 25 of us in the "class," so it was a resounding success for the perpetrators. We made a 3d item, which was pretty fun to do; also colored mandalas and did a five-image collage in about five minutes of work - the things that took the least time had the best results, strangely enough. We danced around directed by a dance therapy person, to enthusiastic results. Almost fell asleep during the part where we were encouraged to write poems by pre-selecting words from a magazine and writing them on little pieces of paper. Then we were supposed to arrange them and fill in between the words to complete the poem. Not sure why I was so resistant to that. Other people wrote some amazing things. The strangest part of the workshop is that my landlady decided to attend also, so maybe that had something to do with wanting to fall asleep - or maybe it was the fact that I woke up this am 'way too excited at 4am. Duh. Hey, there should be a smiley for DUH! :roll: Filled up the water containers in town after the workshop, but was too tired after the event to remember that I wanted to stop by the hardware store and see if they had any palates to put under my futon for the guest bed. Came home and took a nap from 6pm - 11:30pm Now it's midnight and I've just had dinner. What a weird schedule my body keeps if left to itself! I guess it doesn't make any difference if I have no appointments to meet, but it's sure seems by default some sort of anti-social behavior on my part. Makes me feel completely like I deliciously fluffed off all day. Weird feeling. I mean, I have spent many days not accomplishing much tangible stuff, but this day was such a guilty pleasure. Guess that would tell me something. Was struck how much you could get done with a 45 min. block of time to work on something artistic. Certainly I have some of this amount of time in my life... Came home, had the urge to keep making art and realized that I don't have a place to make any art. No tables or any flat surfaces. Not even a flat floor, because the floor is one of those linoleum square floors. Hmmm, have to do something about that.

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

6. Spent 2 hours at the piano, working on Bach and Tchaikovsky and Schubert (getting re-acquainted with the last 14 pages of the Wanderer Fantasy, which is slow painful going!). 7. Laundry Going to have to think about what specific goals I have with the piano-playing, if and when I get around to having piano lessons. Not sure if "I want to be a real musician and play chamber music and concertos" is off-putting enough to a prospective teacher :D And I need more storage in my apartment, but who doesn't? :)

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Hey, I'm keeping track of numbering steps! Let's see how far into the month this lasts! 8. Set up a weekly grid for the coming week, and scheduled appointments to work on various projects for tomorrow and Tuesday. Observations from last week: The classic pattern of being excited and enthused on Monday morning. By Wednesday morning, I don't feel like keeping ppointments anymore. Also, I am agreeing to "help out" others way too easily. Still. :bash: If I keep doing this, I'm never going to have enough time to do what I want. Haven't done it so far, but I also have to watch for agreeing to cancel my own stuff in favor of "helping out" someone, just because they ask! Sigh.... Spiegel, thanks for the sympathy re my nephew. Can't remember if I included you in my last post, but thanks again if I did! :) And I don't think wanting to play piano concertos should put off a good piano teacher. If you should encounter someone like that, keep looking until you find one that suits you! Jewel, thanks for the sympathy, too. It's hard for me to be mad at this little boy because when he cries, I start crying. I was glad he had the DVD and wanted to take a nap afterward because it gave me time to cool off. Re the weekly forms, I've found that I didn't finish everything. (What a surprise.) Interesting that I did most of my accomplishments in specific areas. (Ex., progress in working on blog, no progress on finances.) So for this week I've copied the unfinished tasks in a different color and I'm going to try and get through them first. I also got a lot more done when I scheduled time on my calendar so you might try that too. An8el, that sounds like a great workshop! That sleepiness issue is quite interesting. Waking up at 4 could definitely have something to do with it. But I guess you'd also have to reassess your feelings re the landlady. Does she inspire a desire to withdraw or flee? Jane, I'll be following your friend-making ventures carefully. I need to get on that road myself. Hope everyone had a great Sunday, -- Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Yeah, Mannix - always wondering when sleepiness hits if it isn't a red flag. But I do get "nap attacks" and I was sleepy after the event enough to nod off in the car. So I think it was genuine. Had a nice talk with my neighbor who also attended the class today. She pulled out a "tarot deck" that she had made in the past of images she was just attracted to that she backed with some nice paper. Was pretty cool. Went swimming today - finally! Learned on the weekdays that there is no pool closing during lunch time - so it's open all day and I can walk over there without imagining it might be closed. Did some thinking about the SUV fixing idea, now that I know how much it would cost. Decided that fixing it would not help it get sold because noted how many other SUVs are for sale...and how little response I got when I listed it at the price I hope to get when it is fixed without mentioning that it does have a brake problem. So, I'm going to buy my ticket to the mainland tomorrow and see if I can unload the SUV by advertising it in the paper this week at a more "realistic" price of $2200.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Lynx »

Hey, Jane B, good to read the worst is over and that you're getting a bit of humor out of it. Mannix: bit by bit things seems to be getting traction for you. The decluttering, the weekly grid, etc. Steady and keep going. Speigel = art, piano (even with hitting the wrong notes) definitely an artistic soul. I love how you respect that part of yourself. An8el: good treat for yourself given your other stresses to go take that class. JewelB, you're finding a stride right now, stay the course. Myself, today is the first day w/o my sig. other who is away three weeks at a writing retreat. Ah, freedom? First, it's overcast and rainy. Second, I'm feeling the cash drain and have to devote energy to getting paid work. Third, my body adjusting to the seasonal change with a slight sore throat. With that off my mind: i'm feeling pretty good in general. Got the last watermelon at the farmer's market Saturday. It was huge and my partner was leaving town so we hesitated. The farmer gave, gifted it to us! We're steady customers. But don't expect that from Safeway. We're drying the rind for use as kidney booster. And the 'meat' isn't that bad either. There're two gigs on my radar. One would be to co-lead groups teaching low income families communication/parenting skills. Done it before, even won an award for the work. Lots of travel, materials hauling, etc. The other is database building for an investment company. Not too sure of the pay (it might be too low for my needs) but I'm intrigued by the prospect of getting an insider's feel for the investment world. I made and used and made and lost a couple of fortunes (at least for me). As well as predicted several bullish industries (cable TV in the 70s, currently bikes) and market turns (the current decline). At the moment I have a severe loss of confidence/nerve and this could be just the thing to aid my recovery. One more thing on the edge. I've seen two ads for a thesis support group, one on meet-up.com and the other on craigslist. I suspect it's the same person. The meet-up has no members but her. I am in need of a spurring partnerâ„¢. Share your feelings on this. I'll also ask the I Ching. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Hey Lynx: Meetups is not a very happening thing. Where can anyone go when you want to ask for support? So don't judge the person because they try fishing in many ponds in hopes that one of them works...Yeah - toss the I Ching to find out if this is Your Support Person! Works for me... For what it's worth, I'd say in the job dept. to go for what you know how to do so the "good enough" job is easy and rewarding for you. You're taking on enough challenges for yourself in the other things that you're doing besides the work thing. Remember how most scanners anticipate how the next thing they do will become another livelihood!

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, Steps in the direction of my goals for Oct. 6: 9. Attend spinning class at the gym. - DONE! 10. Notice people at the gym class. Today, I noticed how funny it was that everyone kept socializing even after the class began. The lady on the bike next to me struck up a conversation, so maybe I will soon be a member of the group. 11. Extra credit: Talked to instructor after class. She's a big fan of the Washington Redskins football team, and I told her how I got to perform at the wedding of one of the team members. Still to do: 12. Block off time to get the living room project back on track. 13. Spend about 2 minutes on what my financial goals are, and what I want the teaching studio to be. Theory: A mistaken belief that I have to know how to do EVERYTHING in all musical genres, etc. Could be causing the burn-out feelings. Maybe I can find local musicians, violin makers, etc., who would come talk to my kids. I already know another local teacher who does that for her students. (An8el, where's that "duh" button? :D ) Lynx, thanks for the support! I think my thought processes have been recalibrated. In the past months numbered steps didn't make any sense to me. I think I see now. More later. Hope everyone's having a great day, -- Mannix

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Sunday and Monday steps ! 22. attended required gathering 23. prepared for teleconference 24. work on week 2: E-course 25. making plans to, temporarily, join yoga group 26. read 27. held teleconference 28. posted week 2 materials to forum 29. (finally) filled out schedule for this week 30. healthy eating for days and days (sure hope I lose weight this week-- stayed the same last week) Lynx-- the meet up seems to be worth a shot, if you've got the time to give. Trust your instincts and love the I-Ching ! Mannix-- I just enjoy seeing the counted steps add up and up! (I use color on my weekly schedule, too) An8el-- "went swimming today" just makes me sigh (wistfully) JaneB-- still loving the pro-active friend gathering! yeah, you!! spiegel-- enjoying,vicariously, the art-y aspects of your life thanks, all ! --jewelB

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everyone, It's Tuesday afternoon and I'm flagging. I didn't sleep well last night and it's been a struggle to stay awake all day. Then my father called to say my grandmother had to be taken to the hospital because she was unable to walk when she woke up this morning. She also had a large bump on the back of her head. (She has dementia, has been falling frequently, and also falls at night and forgets about it apparently.) Fortunately, she now seems to be OK. My last student arrived looking like she'd been condemned to death by firing squad. I asked her what the trouble was and she said she doesn't like a lot of her teachers at school, and she's anxious all the time. She said she's in this kind of mood a lot. Maybe I'll have to talk with her dad about what's going on. I don't think her mood has to do with lessons but it's really difficult to teach when she's like that. One more student tonight and I may pack it in. I've been really pleased with my progress so far this month. But maybe it's time for a little rest, in exchange for a fresh start tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well, -- Mannix

Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Jane B »

Hello friends, Hope you have been well over the past couple of days. Spiegel, if you are serious about becoming a piano player and are willing to work hard, I am convinced you will eventually find a teacher who will support you enthusiastically. I have many music teaching friends and have taught for awhile myself. One of the most common complaints is students who don’t practice, who don’t take it seriously, having to repeat the same lesson over and over again (I lost patience with this rather quickly, which is why my teaching career was very brief). When teachers are fortunate enough to get a student who is really willing to put in the effort, they are usually very grateful. It makes their work interesting and meaningful. Mannix, perhaps you can second this? Glad to hear you are progressing well with things. Lynx, I’m always amazed by your diverse skills and interests. I’m hoping they will help you in your search for paid work. As for me, I have been insanely busy the past few days. Worked like crazy all weekend and Monday during the day, with only two hours of sleep between Sunday and Monday. That’s one of the downsides of being a freelancer, sometimes things get really crazy and you just have to ride it out. However I now have a new client who is likely to give me frequent contracts. And I still had the courage to go to my band practice (I did leave early though, but I was commended for my effort in the circumstances). 4. Went out to a friend’s CD release this evening and mingled with some new people. A well deserved “numbered” step in my goal to socialize more. I’ve been thinking about that band with which I did the video shoot this weekend as an extra. These guys have a very big cult following on the more alternative local music scene. My friends and I got hired for the video shoot because I’m a fan and I’m on their mailing list and we were lucky enough to get selected. Now, what is my point?? Their style of music is metal and I am convinced my band would be a good fit to open for them. I managed to talk about my band a little bit with the leader during the video shoot, and at the end of it, he sent me a message on facebook saying “thanks again for your participation and good luck with your band.” They are releasing a CD soon and will most likely be playing many shows in the near future, so I want to find a way to approach them and get them interested in our band. Having made the connection with the music video is obviously going to help, but I could use any original ideas you clever people might have. Gonna talk about it with my voice teacher tomorrow as well.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Ticket dodger

Post by Lynx »

Yo Seems we are not going to get a ticket in the mail after all as none have arrived and it's been two weeks. Onto my day so far ... Had an appointment this morning at 8:30 AM, roused self out of bed and got there early, and both the other people wanted to call it in, one per advance arrangement and the other at the last moment. Not only that, wanted me to wait 25 minutes (oh yeah) while another meeting concluded. The coordinator confronted me with my first decision of the day, what did I want to do? After thinking a bit and reminding myself why I'm on this volunteer project (to learn, network and have fun) and that waiting wasn't much fun, I said, No. let's cancel. This is the second time something like this has happened in the last few weeks. Getting old, fast. I sort of complained and the coordinator began making excuses for them! Here I am w/o work, needing to get applications etc submitted and am out a chunk of my day and she makes excuses for them! Double injury. This happened before. She said at one point that they may have apologized and she forgot to pass it on. I said when they missed a meeting with me the apology comes to me directly. She said maybe I missed it because I was angry. I said, no, not angry, and I listen to how people deal with excuses, and I didn't get one. I kept reminding her not to make excuses for them. And one of the physiological responses to a proper apology is reduction in anger. She doesn't know how to deal with someone expecting accountability. Now I am angry. I mean, here I am with a justified right to be miffed and she couldn't handle it and tried to sooth my miffed-ness by excusing the other people. Let them excuse themselves when they see me. Like I cant imagine the 10 000 reasons not to make their day work so they can be where they said they would be. I have 10 000 reasons, too, and I was there! Any comments on people making excuses for absent people? It affects our abilities to get our goals met if folks can't be relied upon to do their parts. Got home, checked email and phone messages ... nothing. Rants over. You can come out from hiding now. Lynx

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

post-vent day

Post by Lynx »

Well, thanks to my earlier post I ended the day in a much better mood. Finished the paperwork after eating lunch at home. Returned downtown to deliver the forms and just caught my man when he was leaving the office. Then to library and dropped off some material. Checked out Harold Bloom's oeuvre, wow, and while poking among his stuff found a book relevant to my book. Then went to the city council's budget hearing. What a spectacle! People in costumes, plastic construction helmets, handwritten posters, etc. As I was there in support of one of the programs I consult with, I got invited to share their almost 15 minutes of comments (a group of three was allowed 5 minutes, they had three names in a row and enough people to keep matters going). Spoke extempore and even got a chance to drop a comment about a bit of dialogue I just happened to see Friday on the broadcast of the previous budget meeting. Then off to see Slam Poetry, but the venue has changed so didn't happen. Then home to nice meal of smoked chicken w/ br. rice and vegetables. While eating watched more of the Gottman tapes. Then slices the remaining apples I had for drying and sliced three cukes for marinating in vinegar. Tomorrow has no commitments, so may be a day of play if the clouds hold their loads. L