150 Steps in October

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps in October

Post by Mannix »

Good morning, everyone, Still feeling sick today. I slept a large part of yesterday and that may happen again today. I don't have a fever, but throat seems to be developing unmentionable gunk. Didn't get as much done as I'd planned yesterday due to cold-induced naps, but did take the following steps: 23. Made a list of picture ideas and questions for house visit for blog. (Postpone visit until cold bows over.) 24. Avoided eating 2 chocolate doughnuts for breakfast yesterday. (Not a total angel, though. Got into our stash of milk chocolate chips. :oops: ) 25. Planned out food I was going to eat for the day. For today? Allow myself to sleep as needed and continue recovering from cold, set up a new weekly grid, goalwork. Lynx, I hope you can find the new way to think about your family's curse, and find your way out of it. Hope everyone has a great day! -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Family Curse Reversals

Post by Lynx »

Thanks Mannix Lynx, I hope you can find the new way to think about your family's curse, and find your way out of it. This bit of sniffles has given me time to reflect on my life's next big work. I'm now sure it's going to take much longer than I felt it might. This is good, as I can relax and switch from production/creativity mentality to a fiddling and fooling around feel. This is the attitude I take with writing what few computer programs I have attempted. It's something I do to chill. Eventually, if it's useful, that's cool, too. A friend emailed me today that she is leaving consulting and seeking full-time work. A canary in the coalmines? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Hey Gals, It's so fun to have you all to brag to. I feel like such a dolt when I do this to people I know, like I need the pats of the back or something. Who else is ever interested? Today someone called me up and asked me for Alexander Lessons! Yiperoonie! (Guess it pays to keep up with the crowd.) I'm beginning to realize that this sort of thing seems to happen in a larger world of social connection. At this rate, someone is going to convince me to join facebook or twitter... Meanwhile, I decided to trade teaching another AT teacher friend of mine a commitment to do some more exchange work for me. Offered to help him have a website and teach him how to keep it updated. Propositioned him, and he said yes! Now probably I'll have to bother him to get him to keep on task, I'll bet. But that will be more fun that doing a billing. Trying to change my sleeping schedule around to being a daytime person... so have to get to bed at a reasonable time now... I'm trying to stay up until 10pm here after not taking a nap today. Was picking up a recent transplant at the airport. Tomorrow I'm going snorkeling! Have the excuse of showing an adopted family member's daughter around the island who wants to get in the ocean ASAP.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hello, everyone, and greetings from the library. (What a wonderous place this is! :) ) Despite this nuisance cold, things are humming along. Let me see how many steps I can chalk up from the past day or so: 26. Keeping to general food habits, even though I'm not exercising at the moment due to cold fatigue. This means I'm sticking to a steady calorie level, fairly nutritious, some nosing into the chocolate but mostly under control. 27. Completed the "self-correcting scenario" in "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was." At 3:30 today, I'll do the part where I make a "permanent" commitment for one hour. 28. Went through all the boxes in the living room, thereby completing a big part of the living room declutter project, and finishing a teleconference goal almost 2 weeks ahead of schedule! 29. Began hauling empty cardboard boxes to recycling station. 30. Made an appointment with Purple Heart charity to come pick up boxes of unwanted household items. 31. Completed the FlyLady morning housekeeping routine. 32. As part of my exploration of music teaching "burnout" (is it really burnout or resistance/fear?), went to the library to study some music theory for a student interested in composition. Then started researching violin discussions on line. I spent 90 minutes on the subject, totally absorbed! It was like studying in college again! Going to continue doing this regularly, at least for awhile. 33. Awareness of new resistance pattern or faulty belief: "It's OK to do/try something I'm interested in, as long as it stays on a hobby level. But put myself out where people might take me seriously? Forget it!" An8el, way to go on your new Alexander student! Isn't it great how something can fall in your lap just when you need it? Enjoy your snorkeling! -- Mannix

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Yeah, Mannix, that was a little funny how that student dropped in my lap. I'd question this idea of "serious" with you. Have a similar "thing" about being noticed. For me, ahhhh...snorkeling at Mahu Kona today, an old plantation loading dock. Feel totally indulged. Am tired, the good kind of tired from swimming. Amazingly, saw three Eagle Rays - a tiny version of the much bigger manta rays. Was a little scary because of their really long stinger tails, but they were careful not to get close to me which made me feel more secure. They were a little curious though, circling back around to check me out. Came home and juggled with my visitor. Am learning to lay on my back and juggle. It's really, really tricky and I have to go back to square one. Great exercise! My arms are going to be strong for painting windows, which is great because I'm going to have to hit the ground running - Turkey day is Nov. 27th, so everyone will want to be painted in two days. Got some of an outline for my AT speech of 5 minutes together that will be filmed on the 24th...need to work on that more tomorrow to nail down what I'm going to say to be able to have some time to practice before the filming. Lined up the first lesson with my new student. Got word that my two friends who are visitors traveling around on the island will help me out with rent while I'm gone and they're looking for jobs to do that - we'll see if they find work. Time to work on getting the spyware off my old laptop so they will have a computer while I'm gone.

Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Mannix »

Hi, everybody, In the parlance of today's youth ( :) ), "this totally blows." I've been mildly sick for almost a week. Apparently, I overdid it yesterday and now my symptoms are worse. Scratchy throat has turned downright sore and I now have head congestion. I can rest all day today, but tomorrow I'm supposed to fiddle at the open house for the horse rescue organization. (Weather has gotten much cooler here, too.) Then go out to dinner with my husband for our wedding anniversary. Then I'm supposed to be back at the horse rescue for the second day of their open house on Sunday. The idea of playing fiddle in sixty-degree weather with a sore throat is not very appealing right now. And I don't want to cancel our dinner tomorrow night - we have reservations at my favorite restaurant! Well, maybe if I sleep all day today I'll make a recovery tomorrow. An8el, yes, I think the "serious" thing is a pervasive issue for me. In fact, I think it's kept me from even considering some projects I could really do. What about you? Juggling while lying on your back? Wow! How do you keep from getting bopped in the nose by falling juggling material? :) Seeing the rays sounds exciting, but scary, too! I still think of Steve Irwin when I hear about rays. One remaining step from yesterday: 34. Spent over an hour working on self-correcting scenario exercise in "I Could Do Anything." It didn't seem scary like I'd expected it too. Either resistance popped up or it would have taken more than an hour to do anything to bring it up. At any rate, I'm going to keep going through the book since I've been noticing resistance patterns on my own. Hope everyone has a good day, -- Mannix

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Number 5

Post by Lynx »

Hello Mannix: seems you'll need to carefully pace yourself over the next several days. An8el: What fun! And a new AT client as well. I too enjoy juggling and your post reminded me to play around with it more. I'm really basic at the moment but it's interesting how useful it is during lulls at parties. JaneB: about the guy thing, I think you've seen a couple of thoughtful answers. From this far away, I guess one hurdle is given your translation work and music playing there just isn't time for those long getting-to-know-each-other chatty walks in the park or a leisurely dinner. When I was at my loneliest, I made a whole roadmap to escape it. Part of the map was asking myself when I would have time for this person? where would she put her things? (made room in my closet), even toothbrush (made room in my medicine cabinet). It created a type of person attractor. Today I want to return to my list again, a bit out of order: 5. There will always be something, like improving my website, that is "next" for "success" that when I do it will not bring the anticipated results. I've been especially sober the last 36 hours, and I suspect it's because this one is "up" for my annotation. It's a crazy thing: there's twitter, cell phones, web sites, blogs, myspace, facebook, biznik, plaxo, linked-in, and on and on. None of these things are what my business is. Yeah, they're all types of advertising, promotion, etc. I've lived here in Seattle since 1990. 18 years. It's been mostly a slogging out feeling. There's been stretches of exciting updrafts to my fortunes, years of them, and periods of slow or steep decline in fortune. Given all the pessimistic news and my amazing inability to get a solid run going here, I'm faced with the stark question (feel like I'm Lynx in Work in the City): Is it time to surrender? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by spiegel »

From the last few days: 17. Ballet class 18. Piano practice (a short-ish one!) 19. Ballet class 20. Ballet class, today (right now, hair down and feet up! as the cats would say, I R Serius Dancer, and I Haz Sor Feets) Towards the end of the month, some arty events coming up... Mannix, hope you knock that cold over soon! :)

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Mannix, Take Zinc! Taking Zinc once you get a cold cuts the duration and intensity of the symptoms. It's even a scientific-like documented thang. You also asked about "The Serious Factor" - well, that's a long enough discussion to be over on the "Deep Discussion" page...so I started another thread there and included some of what we started to talk about over there. Today I got some more serious exercise. Went to a sweet state park called Kalopa on a mountaintop and did some very active passing of clubs, etc. as well as practiced 5-ball juggle. This juggling 3 balls while lying on my back is actually a work-out! My friend can do it while she does crunchies...very funny. Yes, I have to take off my glasses because the balls can land near my face! But they don't stray far so you can stretch while you fetch the drops. I can already juggle standing up, so it was pretty easy to learn, but not so easy to sustain because it uses different arm muscles. Our next idea is juggling while bending over upside down! Not nearly as dangerous to the face. Speaking of danger, not worried about stingrays being so dangerous to me while I'm in the ocean with them. Because I'm not trying to show off getting close to them in front of a camera! The docile Manta rays I saw before were much, much bigger - and much more scary the time I saw them because the visibility at that time was like, 8 feet. Yesterday, I could see about 25 ft. away, and they could see me, all of us were fine with that. I've also been trying out taking a walk before I go to sleep - really makes me feel like I'm getting exercise. But I'm not sure how it's working for my sleep patterns, because it seems that sometimes the exercise wakes me up. Got a call today that my friend wants to buy the SUV! Ahhhhh - finally! I made him a deal he couldn't refuse by accepting payments. Now we'll see tomorrow how much money he doesn't have when we chat about the actual arrangements.

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Lynx:
Is it time to surrender?
Nah, but it is time to rethink your priorities and to "cut the fat" of what doesn't seem to be working so well. I never make a re-evaluation of my life when things are not going right. For myself, have come to suspect complete changes of plans that occur to me that I need to do when I'm depressed or in a slump, because I've learned that I don't have any sense of constructive direction in that depressed state. Sometimes in a low state, I can still get brilliant, reflective ideas that I just don't have enough chutzpa to do right then. For instance,(more of my news) in my field, there was in August a UK scientific study that proves the effectiveness of Alexander Technique in dealing with back pain - FINALLY!- I'm qualified and would like to teach AT for a living in an area where there is very little disposable income. I just found out about the shape of the spike of public interest generated by the study. Turns out that videos about the subject on youtube is generating longer term interest than websites. This interest has gone on for a long time and is dropping off very, very gradually - in fact, the "spike" of public interest is still going on 2 months later after the "spike" of interest has diminished from people who look at websites. Lynx, if what you're doing or what you have done isn't working, sometimes you have to invent or make up a new avenue of self-promotion. Being the first on the block works pretty well if you want to be successful in unknown, or very popular livelihoods where there's lots of competition. (I'm pretty good at brainstorming & original thinking - so if you like to run stuff past me on PM - go for it.)

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

time to surrender 2

Post by Lynx »

Thanks An8el for your thoughts. This is a chronic bumpy roller-coaster slide, since my last life peak in 1999! so it's not a sudden thing. And I've been charging at windmills here since 1990. Mentioning back pain, my lower back, which carries the metaphysical signaling for support (or lack of), has been playing a steady ache tone for months. Went to a healer and have been processing this with various Reiki people, my dreams, etc. As I have been entertaining surrendering this pain has eased. Plus it began right around the time my last major client was wrapping up. What hurts the most is that a civic organization I'm volunteering with is have a blow-out celebration. I asked a favor for one of their other recent events and got a free seat, I could ask again but pride issues come into play. I'm delaying asking hoping to get enough interest or cash flowing to justify dipping into my cash reserves. I could afford if it I had to, but would rather not face the stress. About three years ago I went through an exhaustive life-work planning series with a career consultant. Coming out of that experience I had a list of qualities I wanted to show up with when I hire on, and a list of qualities I need in my employer. On my own I gave each one a score and figured if a prospective situation scored over 80 on each pole it was considering. Emotionally I feel quite good! I'm going to take this up at my I Ching group tomorrow. Also, suddenly I'm recalling all my consultant buddies who are now lucratively employed. Lynx

jewelB
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by jewelB »

Lynx and others-- A couple of summers ago, my dear hubbie took 6 months to hike the Appalachian Trail-- that's 2100+ miles. That still amazes me! The best piece of advice came from an old sage/caretaker at the start of the trail. He said, as hubbie was about to begin, "Never quit on a bad day." "Wait until you've had a couple of good days in a row, then see whether you still have had enough." Apply here?? Something to ponder, anyway!! --jewelB

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

OK, reporting in on my steps... Walked 2 miles today! Not by choice, but sort of accidentally on purpose. Got to see a wonderful sunset tonight. Came to an agreement about selling truck to my friend who wants it! Since he's a friend of mine, based it on what the truck needs, what I need and when I need it - we agreed on a minimum due me in early Nov, and most of it payable before February of next year. Gotta write my speil - tomorrow! So I have enough time to practice it before next Friday when I have to do in front of a camera...Hey, at least I have a juggler who can help me. Angel in Action! Had yet another person tell me that, because of how I helped them tonight, I should have educated myself to be a counselor. To which I replied - having to wade through the education process would probably take away my natural ability. :mrgreen: Hey, just got the idea to go back over the month and count my steps when the month is over. Thought that would be fun to find out how many of these steps I actually did during the month, without keeping track of how many there are as I do them. Hey - I can do that now on the months that are already past!

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

surrender? pt 3

Post by Lynx »

An8el, great insight into retrospective step counting. Check out phinished.org for lots of other motivational tricks like that. Also, it's ironic that "education" often dulls or negates our natural feel for doing things. It's subtle, but I suspect it has to do with the tilt towards rigor (mortis) and teacher curriculum rather than spontaneity and learner prompts. I'll look for your serious factor thread on Deep Discussions forum. About surrendering ... Re: trimming fat, etc. Nothing left to trim. Actually, life has conducted its own painful surgery. Surrendering would mean really having lots more chances for my skills to be of productive use. Writing proposals, apparently, isn't one of my skills that meshes well with how people who read them tend to think. I have to consciously "dull down" my writing, which is no fun and still hasn't netted sustainable income. I commit to sticking to my list of qualities. I tracked them down yesterday. Want to see them? What I want to express: 1. Involved from design to delivery of whatever. Really important. 20 points 2. Some use of my inquiry/research/discovery talents. 18 points 3. Ability to combine different skills I have. A type of creativity. 16 pts 4. Feel like independent consultant (flexibility, some ability to be selective, work from home, etc.) 12 pts 5. Reasonable autonomy. 10 pts 6. Working with people from their inside to the outside. Working with values, beliefs, out of awareness behavior, etc. 9 pts 7. Working with people who voluntarily want to attend. 8 pts 8. Want occasion pops of excitement and breakthrough moments. 7 pts What I seek in the work culture: A. Everyone "shows up." No freeloaders, etc. 20 pts B. Great projects. 18 pts C. There's a "positive sentiment" in the workplace. People openly praise each other's work. 16 pts D. Reasonable autonomy. 12 pts E. Fun place. 10 pts F. Great bunch of people. 9 pts. G. Interaction with people the focus (rather than say data or documents). 8 pts H. Working with people from the inside out. 7 pts. Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by An8el »

Lynx: Thanks for that tip! Curious how, in your priorities, Lynx, that people were so much more important than the content of what you were doing. Perhaps the problem is more that you are a "connecting" person who gets energy from interaction and that is a rare point of view. Most people in our culture are "dynamic" people who get energy from accomplishment and spend it on interactions with people. This striking description of a foundation assumption of motive is one of the reasons that I'm in Hawaii - because Hawaii is a very different (connecting) culture. Hey, I have more to offer about what you wrote because it's so rich, but is this thread the place to be doing that? Point me and I promise, I'll talk. OK, my steps: Woke up in the middle of sleeping and wrote my spiel for AT. :o Now have to write it out and memorize it so I can practice it in front of people tomorrow. My target is to have it memorized by tomorrow evening. (It's only a five minute thing, so can't be that complicated to do.) My plan is when my friend comes over to give me money for fixing the SUV as we discussed, I'll be able to try it out on him. He's a pretty good public speaker and will maybe be able to suggest how to make it funnier or more amusing. Met some new people today. My friends who stayed overnight last night invited me to FINALLY got out sailing with a sea captain that she's been threatening to introduce me to for the last two years. Had even had gone to the trouble of attending a class to get permission to enter the harbor more than once every six months. (The harbor class tries to get you to help with National security! -- Of the harbor.) Must admit that I have dreams that I want so much that I don't want to admit exist until I am just about to get them. Because I know that the only way I'll get to experience them is in a serendipitous way - meeting someone who has it together. Makes me think that sailing is one of those "secret" dreams, from my experience today. First time on a boat in Hawaii - and first time on a "real" boat at sea instead of in a bay. Didn't get sick or lose my balance, as it was a very calm day. Could see the bottom in 35 ft. deep surface on the shaded side of the boat - was mysterious looking over the side, seeing so much. Perfect weather. Saw a "herd" of jellyfish - counted 11 of them; largest was about 20" wide! Found out jellyfish show up ten days after the full moon every month. Enjoyed talking with the women more than the men. There was a clear division of labor -- with men dealing with the boat, women fluffing off and being pampered. So I was honored to get the compliment of being able to help with taking down the spinnaker sail a bit. Perhaps that was because I kept moving around the boat because I enjoyed the strange sense of balance being different. Loved sailing. Was very happy to be invited back -- and I'll definitely go again. Maybe I'll even become a regular and learn enough to be useful help - and break the gender division. It's only a matter of time before the whales come back. They have already been sighted!