Attended a History Conference; Self Doubt Stayed Home

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Attended a History Conference; Self Doubt Stayed Home

Postby Mannix » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi, everyone, Today, I attended the Fairfax County History Commission's 4th annual conference. The theme was Fairfax County, Virginia in the 20th century. I went by myself, and didn't expect to meet anyone I knew at the conference. (And, in fact, didn't meet anyone I knew.) What was so incredible was the near-complete absence of resistance, self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy on my part! I must confess to a small pang of fear as I entered the building. But other than that, resistance was nowhere to be found. In fact, when a local librarian recommended the conference, I immediately signed up for it! Usually, I would have managed to lose the brochure and find it the day after the conference, or written several pro-con lists on why I thought I deserved to be among these superior experts, etc. Not this time! After getting through the small bit of anxiety in the morning, I managed to strike up acquaintances with several other attendees and even learned some interesting things about county history from them. I even asked the speakers questions! And I never once felt that nagging feeling of "I don't fit in here." I don't wonder if I finally "came home" today .... I don't know what's next in my pursuit of this interest, but I just had to share what I believe to be a major success. Hooray! Thanks, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Attended a History Conference; Self Doubt Stayed Home

Postby pattyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:35 pm

How very cool! Did that tradeshow-built house come up in the proceedings? Did you ever locate it?
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi, patty, No, the trade-show house didn't come up. The topics were a little more general. I did meet someone I'd spoken to over the phone concerning my search. Unfortunately, I discovered that the house was demolished in 2002. Major bummer! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Oh, that's a shame. It was such an interesting story. I love hearing that your self doubt stayed home.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories