150 Steps in December

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps in December

Postby tapit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:10 am

Sorry about all the spelling errors in last post- I was in a hurry....
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi, everybody, Small success today. I spent about 20 minutes on my blog - getting ideas for finding pictures, and reading a newspaper article as research for the blog. I'm trying to spend some time on the blog each day, and it was a special achievement because I had a big performance gig to think about and holiday stuff. I brought one of my newspaper articles to the gig site with me with the idea of reading it in the car before going into the church. (I always arrive at these gigs super early.) It was really a struggle - resistance saying, "You'd better get in that church and practice!" (In reality, there was plenty of time to read AND practice before the performance started.) So I settled for scanning a paragraph or 2, but I did it. Finished the article when I got home from the job. (Instead of vegging out in front of the TV! :D ) Tapit, yes, the blog is for anyone to read. There is a link to it at the bottom of my post. Unfortunately, there aren't any graphics at this time. I'm going to follow up on some leads to find some. An8el, your friends' visit was most serendipitous. (Did I say that right? :? ) I'm curious ... how long did it take you to be accepted as a Hawiian and not a haole? (If you ever were one? Hope I'm using that term correctly.) OK, amidst gift wrapping and teaching, my blog goal is to follow up on picture sources with the D.C. Public Library, and do one thing to expand readership of my blog. (Publicizing seems to be the area where I procrastinate most.) Have a good evening, everyone! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:22 am

Well Mannix, I'm still a haole - according to many. Did get invited to Christmas feast by my Hawaiian friend. Which I guess means that I'm OK, at least, with some Hawaiians. I'm definitely going to that! SUV is FIXED :jawdrop: Man, never thought that was going to happen. Especially after I figured my finances when I returned a week ago. Hope the brakes were done right enough so my friends don't get crunched by something else going wrong - but it seemed OK...so I let my friend drive off in it. He certainly did bitch quite a bit about how much trouble he had to go through fixing it. He was the one who told me that he didn't want to pay for the local shade-tree mechanic who had given me an estimate at the same price that the parts ended up costing in the end. The local mechanic knew the one shop on the island that had the parts about a hundred bucks cheaper. It's hard to eat humble pie like that, but at least there are tools left over. Next step is to pay the registration today...gotta get papers that are in the SUV. For some reason, I've been up allllll night long. Went to a "longest night" Wiccan ceremony today. Enjoyed the people there. Now I can't sleep and it's five AM...got an appointment at 10:30...Guess that I can just take a nap later on. Got payment for one of my jobs in the mail. YES! Got to see myself on the DVD public access programming where I introduced Alexander Technique. I actually did OK, considering how nervous I was. Now I need to get that snippet on youtube and make another one to add to the series. My friend who fixed the car has a hi-Def video camera; maybe he'll go for filming me. Still need to be thinking ahead for what I'm doing next for it - so that's for tomorrow.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi, everybody, An8el, congrats on your Alexander presentation. Leave a link when it's posted on YouTube. And hope you made (make?) it through your 10:30 appointment. I've had evenings like that as well. Maybe it has to do with the Winter Solstice. I just finished writing another entry in my blog. I always feel so much better when I work on that project ... because it has MEANING to ME. (The big lesson I've learned for 2008.) I'm feeling hurt and a little angry with my sister. When I got home this afternoon, my husband said she'd called and wanted to ask a question about our mutual cleaning lady. After I put my things down, I called. The phone rang a few times; I assumed it was going to voice mail. Suddenly, my sister picks up, shouting, "HELLO?? YES???" "Uh, hello," I said. "WHO IS THIS?" (Imagine her tone as someone who is answering a call from a telemarketer while a loved one is suffering a heart attack.) It turned out her youngest daughter had come down with pneumonia and they were about to take her to the doctor. I can understand her being upset, but an apology would have been nice. I was returning her call and I had no idea her daughter was sick. She called back a few hours later, no apology. Apparently, her daughter's condition has stabilized. But what my sister wanted from me was to call and cancel her appointment with the cleaning lady. :?: Here's where I start kicking myself: Instead of saying "no," and asserting how I felt, I suggested I would give her the phone number. "Well, I just don't want to go through the hassle." Ah, the love of a close-knit family. I'm not calling the cleaning lady. I've gotten stuck with her dumping sh*@# on me more than once. There is never any expression of gratitude, and the stuff she's asked me to do has been a major inconvenience. May be a situation where she thinks she can put stuff on me because I'm "free" of children. It's been hard for me to say "no" because the only reason to say so is because I don't want to do it. I have to get better at seeing these situations coming, and remember there is NO UP SIDE for me. On that downer, hope everyone has a happy holiday. I'll try to, too. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Dumpsters

Postby Lynx » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Hello Steppers, Mannix, you get dumped on because you accept the load. She has the number, or give it to her, it's she who needs to cancel, not you. If it's so tough she should clean up herself. And somehow you convince yourself that you're free because you don't have children. For some reason my automatic notification has been off so I haven't seen much of your comments the past several days. I'm on the verge of a possibly getting a j o b offer. Oh, man. Found that thought here while mulling over something. I'm pulling all my reminders to keep myself high in the running. Better financial times, not sure where everything else will go. Had a gig in the far north islands from Seattle. Drove there as passenger in a 4 wheel drive car and returned in a snow storm. All safe and sound now, but harrowing. Merry Happy, Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tapit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:25 pm

Nearly the end of the month and I can see we're all working overtime just to keep on an even keel this holiday season. You go, gang! 1) Got the temporary business cards. 2) "Adopted" an elephant in a sanctuary to deal with my guilt feelings that I can't stop the mistreatment of them that's going on in circuses and around the world.
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Dumpsters

Postby Mannix » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Lynx wrote:Mannix, you get dumped on because you accept the load. She has the number, or give it to her, it's she who needs to cancel, not you. If it's so tough she should clean up herself. And somehow you convince yourself that you're free because you don't have children.
Lynx, after reading your comments, I felt a sick feeling in my stomach and I haven't been able to look at them again until today. Some observations: 1. I have big, unresolved issues with my family - bigger than I'd thought, or wanted to acknowledge. 2. In non-family situations, I've been able to use Alexander training to help me respond to the situation, not to a fear. In familly "dumpster" situations, I respond instinctively to guilt and fear. Also a stubborn, corrupt belief that I'm not entitled to say "no" to such a dumb request. ("It's only one phone call. It won't take long.") Argh! :bash: OK, that's the end of the psychoanalysis for tonight. But I can see I've got a lot of work to do in the coming year. Lynx, did that job offer come through? We're leaving for Tennessee tomorrow, so here are my final steps for 2008: 1. Set up 150 Steps for January post (in case there's no Internet access where I'm going). 2. For January teleconference, look up information on the Fairfax County History Commission: what they do, additional events they sponsor, etc. 3. Sneak in an hour of filing. :? Happy New Year, everyone, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 am

Yes, everything turned out OK Mannix. Had a wonderful Solstice, met some great people and got home by 11pm so didn't have any trouble making my appointment the next day. Things are swimming right along...except I lost my "every-day" glasses in my junk somewhere since then!!!! :bash: Hope I find them somewhere in the car when I unpack my junk. Ooops, guess you're gone on your trip already and won't read this until much later. OK, my steps... Just stopped in to brag that I managed to get the house cleaned up and myself packed up after house sitting "under fire." A storm settled in yesterday. So did my friends (and company) who I loaned the car to. They barged in and pleaded for a place to stay tonight - when they were actually invited tomorrow night. However, now there are FIVE of them instead of three...the addition of a mutual friend from the other side of the island and their son who flew in a couple of days ago. Gave them the boundaries that three people could stay if they slept in my room, which is a converted garage that is sound-protected from bothering house-mate. Told them if more people were staying because of the no-notice thing, then they had to ask my house-mate. Fortunately, house-mate showed up at 8pm, just as I was leaving, so they all got to stay. Didn't want to have them take away my house-mate's pleasure of offering hospitality with abject drenched pitifulness. For some reason, I've been feeling quite a bit more energy to do things lately and less resistance. Probably the almost-boyfriend looming on the horizon. <gosh>:oops: Or maybe it's that horde of admirers who are visiting and singing my praises. Gonna miss the three kitties I've been house-sitting. What charmers they have been. I'm picking up the people I've been house-sitting for at the airport at 2:30PM. Going to buy a new phone card and register the SUV at DMV in Kailua-Kona before I pick them up, so have to have everything spiffy by the time I need to take off by 11:30AM. Just have left this morning the jobs of vacuuming the floor, starting the dishwasher, loading the car and clearing out the fridge of my food. Well, maybe I should go back to sleep for awhile because I woke up at 2:30am after four hours of sleep and it's 7AM now. They are going to be sooooo toasted from traveling all the way from Costa Rica... Their late Delta flights got them into L.A at 1am last night; then they had to leave for the airport at 5am to fly home to Hawaii. Guess being reminded that's how it is traveling... I should plan to do more of it while I'm still flexible enough to handle its unpredictability. Next crucial job that I've been putting off is to get the blurbs, posters and brochures somewhat ready for my next round of classes on Alexander Technique at the university annex in my town. Well, guess that now I'm not tied down house-sitting for kitties I can go camping with the horde who are visiting. Got to review my financial position before I do that so I don't end up being too generous treating them or myself and then regretting it. Time to play with my new Linux Ubuntu installation and get all the bells and whistles working on it that I want to have. I love this week in the year - because it's sort of an extra week in the year that "doesn't count." People are just laying low, not working, hanging out recovering from visiting, mostly. If productivity is possible, given storms and weather - it's almost as if I'm getting a head start on the new year. I like that feeling. What are people here doing in the next few days?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Dumpsters and EOY

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:51 am

Mannix and An8el, First, Mannix, I didn't guess my observations would send you into a spin. I might have guessed. It did get me thinking about what you might do. I would suggest: 1. At a time when nothing is pending, tell your sister you've thought it over, and for 2009 propose that each of you can ask the other for X (pick a number) of quick requests with a total cumulative time to do them for the year of Y hours. Which ever one is used up first ends the available requests until you negotiate for 2010. Make sure to communicate it's bi-lateral, she asks a favor she owes one. 2. Prepare yourself for the uproar when you accept your time and attention are yours to use as you see fit and at times you must say no. Say it politely, and say it as often as you need to. 3. In some ways you are being manipulated. Read Whose Pulling your Strings by Harriet Braiker. 4. Write out your 'no' response, when the time comes, read it and offer no further comments. 5. Prepare yourself for the spiteful, smoldering threats and snide comments. So it goes. When you take a stand you precipitate a crisis (Tough Love). An8el, Wow, just gliding along and even handling unexpectedly early and more than expected guests. Flow on. Me? I'm getting a face to face interview next week for one of the jobs I've applied for. I have a strong advocate internally for me to get an offer and I mentioned a price in my phone interview that "was in the range." I could do the work, love the folks there, etc. It's not my ideal position and this has raised an issue with my partner. The truth is, for a variety of reasons, I'm not at all confident I will get an offer from my ideal employer. Or, if it might offer, that they will get one to me in time. It's a common frustration when dealing with larger organizations. They have so many levels, and so many people thinking they are dealing with 'applications,' paper or files and not people's lives, livelihood and anxiety. So there's no alacrity. They miss out on lots of great people this way, the place ends up hiring the best of who's left, lucky, or connected already, and the organization loses out w/o even realizing it. There is a thin window, if they are sharp off the mark on 1/5 they might start the interviewing process before I have an offer/need to respond. And i may not get any offers. So, I'm applying for more jobs. Submitted one yesterday, will send another today. Nothing is as practical as a good theory. Kurt Lewin As I've been buffeted by great and painful losses related to my dreams and life goals, I'm puzzling out alternative ways to navigate my life. Right now, I'm fiddling with Plus/Delta, meaning, tack towards what I want a little more of (plus) and change to something else (delta) what I want less of. Very small. Pay close attention to details. So confirmed the I Ching (YiJing) hexagram 62. This continues a trend for a couple of days ago I got hex. 23: Stripping Away. Small changes, be alert, stay humble. I have begun to enter my financial data for 2008. Completed my check register yesterday and felt uplifted. Deconstructing my credit card payments will be next up. Lynx Tags: I Ching 23, 62, No Illegal Dumping Part 2, Alternative to Goals
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tapit » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:00 am

Mannix- Best of luck with all these things. I know it's a bear to deal with the "monsters in the closet" when they get stirred up. That's why I've been so amazed and delighted with the "Solutions" work I've been doing over the past year and a half. Still a long way to go, but you learn to process feelings as they happen and then dig back into your emotional trash that's been building up to now and processing that. My most painful work was with my adolescence and its shrapnel, but learning to deal with it in the open and then building new "pathways" that overriding has been really valuable. I agree with you about this week, An8el. It seems like a week of grace.... time to get a ramp up on the new Year. I'll be doing the same things as usual. Writing, reading, making plans...
tapit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

29th--More on Surrender

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Monday during the oddest week of the year. Have already sent off yet another application. A better than good enough but probably not the ideal situation is developing. Phone interview = check. Face to face to schedule. Have been thinking "keep a thread alive" and once I've started a tedious task to get to it everyday. Dealing with receipts. After an exciting I Ching group and very late last night, I made myself sit and enter receipts for half an hour. In 2/08 or thereabouts I happened on this entry in the horoscope section of one of my local free weeklies:
Sag. 11/22-12/21 (my Bday is 12/09). In his folk song Farewell to the Gold, Nic Jones tells the story of a failed gold prospector. After two years of finding no more than a few flecks of the precious metal the unlucky man is giving up his search. "Farewell to the gold that never I found" he sings, "Goodbye to the nuggets that somewhere abound, for its only when dreaming/that I see them gleaming/down in the deep underground." If I'm reading the omens correctly, Sag, it time for you, too, to say goodbye to a quest that hasn't panned out. Yes, it will be sad, but here is the happy ending: Within a month of your surrender you will be led to a better quest with more chances of success.
Lynx Tags: Surrender, Nic Jones, Farewell to the Gold
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

last day of year

Postby Lynx » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:16 am

Whew. The happiest/merriest of New Years to everyone. See you in the January Thread. I've had yet another roller coaster year. No wonder I've always kept shy of them in amusement parks. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories