Working remotely all over the world

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Working remotely all over the world

Postby ideamim » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:01 am

I'm writing this because it occurs to me I have taken a major step towards my dream, in an offhand way. I'm in Oahu on my first trip to Hawaii, and I'm not on vacation, I'm just working from Hawaii!! I never shared this dream, but I always had it - to write, speak and travel all over the world. I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up, mainly so I could travel all over the world. And working was part of it, not just having a job and going away on vacations. The past few times I went somewhere exotic (where stuff was cheap) I brought back armloads to resell (and always sold a handful) but that wasn't my dream job yet. I wasn't hired to come here, so I almost missed that this is a milestone. I'm apartment-swapping! I wasn't even looking for it, I just wanted someone to share/alternate in my NY office/apt. I was looking at the apt. needed ads and there were all these swaps for amazing places. I offered my place to a woman in Oahu, even though I couldn't go when she was traveling in early February - I planned to wait for her next trip. But it was sooo cold and I was sooo cranky and I couldn't get anything done anyway and ALL my clients had quit and the fares were dirt cheap and my husband said, "Go, Honey, it will be good for you" so even though she had already left I asked my swap buddy if there was a snowball's chance I could go right away and she worked it out. That was Sunday night. I left Monday morning and her friend met me at the airport and gave me the car for my whole stay! Nevertheless, I freaked out the first night about wasting an entire vacation without plans or husband -- and then I settled in and got to work just like I wanted to. I welcomed 2 new clients by email. I've got some registrations for a teleclass I had already scheduled for the next 2 Thursdays, and I just spent the entire sunset on the beach, writing. So I am working from Hawaii with internet and cell phone, creating business, speaking, writing and traveling! It looks different than I thought it would. I still want to write an inspirational book and get paid to travel to delicious places to speak and teach about it, but maybe this is how it starts. Anyone in Oahu between 2/11 and 2/24, give me a shout! I'd love a buddy to see some sights with. Just email mim@coachmim.com. Thanks so much, Barbara, for that "what the hell, it just might work" attitude! Gratefully, Mim
ideamim
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Working remotely all over the world

Postby velvet » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Wow, Mim, that is really awesome! I love that you sort of had an idea of what you wanted, and were able to recognize it even when it was slightly different from what you originally thought it would look like. I've definitely seen things work out like that. For example, I thought I wanted one apartment that had the lovely clawfoot tub. I ended up getting the apartment with only a shower, but it ended up being the apartment with a lot of natural light - something very important to me. I've learned to live without a tub for awhile, and to also recognize that this apartment was a better fit for me. I would have felt unhappy in the other apartment which had almost no natural light. :) I am really excited by your success. Your courage and openness seems to be rewarding you with what you really want in your life, and I am inspired by your story. Thank you so much for sharing it.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP
velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories