150 Steps for July '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps for July '09

Postby Mannix » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:06 am

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for July '09

Postby MONSOON » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:29 am

Well done PLG. Keep thinking of the $$$ you will save. Mannix. Hope all the insurance stuff is going well. All the talk of moisture made me go and check my dehumidifier in our storeroom. Here goes for July. - I am going to start yoga on Saturday morning at 9am. Its a 7 week course. - My kitchen table is covered with all my filing and hope to have it all finished by Friday. - Did my first lot of dance in ages. Very bad but it was a start after 8 months. - Have found my paints and brushes. It is fire cracker night here and I keep jumping when some of the big bungers go off. Kind regards Monsoon
MONSOON
New Poster
New Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks Monsoon for your show of support.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Hello July

Postby Lynx » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Hey, Challenging month for me more or less. Partner just decided to take a 'lead' parachute severance plan at her job. Many, many changes from that. A trip to Hawaii the next week, 2/8 work 6/8 personal with said partner. Then a week back, then a week of training. Then August. I read all your posts and will chime in with support as I can. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:30 am

Baby gifts...my older daughter had a baby in March..right now I do a lot of the babysitting when they work..part of reason I'm looking into a Home Business...there are lots of discount /outlet stores for baby gifts too...you don't have to tell people where you purchased something...Hand made gifts are lovely too--but take a lot of time and work..good luck with that. Kudos for not smoking though!!!! Steps for July: --Research material for business idea, organize it into usable form (target for completion of initial research by end of July) ---Research ideas on how to market the above information & make a written plan to do that ---Redo/update my resume & look for a job (hopefully only 3 days a week???) --pay up some old bills --continue to clean and arrange the new living space (depends on when the furniture can be moved out of storage--depends on the son-in-law) --continue to learn my way around the new area I live in ---read--I just got 5 books in the mail to read--have started 3, would like to finish at least those three by end of July--possibly all 5 --work with Tanya on her reading and math skills--get her involved in some kind of activities --contact the school district about Tanya's school ---get involved in local activities --lots of babysitting, diaper changing, loving and cuddling with the new baby (and loving & cuddling with the other kids too) ---be happy, live a happy, fun life---no matter what the circumstances are-- That's a start on my July goals.... sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:26 am

Hi, gang. My vacation to NH is postponed a day. Flooding around here and HORRIBLE thunderstorms slated for all morning and then again in the afternoon. I'm thinking that being reasonable might be, oh, a good plan? The traffic will be worse, possibly--though I'll leave at 6 a.m., so maybe not. Anyway, I'm going to have this be a vacation day at HOME. NO WORK. Steps for July. 1.) continue to make decisions like this--yes to my safety and health. No to STUBBORN adherence to things that were "the plan." Flexibility. 2.) continue to work on setting boundaries with the person in my life who is the greatest challenge to saying yes to myself. 3.) develop a system to send off a FREELANCER'S inquiry and résumé to at least ten colleges/universities. (August's goal, to send the inquiries out.) 4.) complete a LinkUp profile 5.) Work on my blog more regularly. I've deleted drafts and not focused well on it for the last two weeks. Crisis of confidence--no. A little slip, really. 6.) Follow through on starting the writer's group with summerbreeze. (another thread) 7.) join with a trial membership a local, very inexpensive gym, to see whether I can do the recumbant bike again. I had to quit my gym because of money and because I could no longer even cycle without setting up too much pain from the repetitive motion. I miss it. I want to try again, but NOT leap into a financial commitment that is beyond me. 8.) re-establish my solid work routines. Without work for so long, I kind of lost my way in terms of how to fit my work and body rhythms together. Made headway in June, but need to focus on that for the Stanford work that's coming for the following six weeks. 9.) make more time for friends, and less time for the person in number 2.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi, everyone, Totally scatter-brained tonight. I've tried to post something here three times and just mentally wandered off. My theory is that my efforts to chip away at some personal fears ("timid tourist") have awakened a beast. Item: Last week I set up a first-step list for the timid tourist project, and some other things. Then totally forgot about it for the entire week. Item: I've been trying to come up with a travel destination for tomorrow and have completely drawn a blank. Can't stay focused - decide I need to answer e-mail or look at Facebook or YouTube instead, etc. Item: This morning I decided not to go to a gym class I'd been attending so I could try something new. Couldn't make up my mind which class to go to and ended up not going to any, although I did work out at home. I believe I'm "hiding" from the instructor of the class I stopped attending. Don't want to get in trouble, after all - leaving the class without permission! Some guilt there, too. Argh! Anyway, steps for now: 1. Spend at least 10 minutes a day on goalwork. 2. Next timid-traveler project - go to a small town and visit either a shop, museum, coffee shop, restaurant - somewhere where I need to talk with someone. (I'll decide which town tomorrow.) 3. Write an entry about tomorrow's visit in the new daybook I bought for this project. Hope everyone's good, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:45 am

Dear Mannix---timid traveler tip-- It may help to look up the WEB site for the town you plan to go to....many towns have their own web sites now-a-days--or the web site for the county the town is in...look for touristy info...there may be a list of museums, sights to see etc....you might also look up restraunts in _______ town or ________county... you might be able to find some interesting things that way. You might also want to pick up a copy of a local newspaper, travel brocures you find there..in the town or restraunt...post these in your daybook too....take your camera to take some pictures...for your daybook too....that way you can make a 'scrapbook' / 'journal' of the experience. Write a paragraph about the people you talked too also, that might be fun too. It takes a little of the frustration out of the experience and makes it more fun to have an idea where you're going..then to have a record of where you've been afterwards... Just some thoughts... Happy traveling.... sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:01 am

Hi all, nice to see you all in July, I'm not sure what my steps this month will entail, but I'm starting off with an event earler today.. Something happened when I was out today. I can't believe my reaction to it. I wasn't the slightest bit upset, which was freaky, as I would have imagined I would have been mortified. And a lot of people were gossiping about me whilst it was happening and likely to in the future and it still doesn't bother me. Which again is strange for me. So then I started thinking - -I should have done ..............but I didn't because .................. and I was flabbergasted by my answers because so many reasons came out, none of which I expected. It's like that event has opened a Pandora's Box. I've always known there are two opposing sides to me so in one way, todays events could have potentially sabotaged things for me in a big way. But on the other hand, I am always acting and never being myself so perhaps it's just given me an easy way out. I think a big problem for me has always been that I don't know who I really am and what I really want. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Mannix, the timid tourist. Well my trip mentioned on the fitness threads, was one way of facing my travel demons - I think I must have lost 100 pounds after that, slight exaggeration lol, but I was petrified :D I rarely go anywhere unless I absolutely have to and haven't been on holiday for over 10 years as I hate travel (bus or car - and don't even mention a plane LOL) so much. What part of it worries you the most? Perhaps we need to work on this together? I've put off going for that x ray for my foot because of the bus! So for you I'm guessing it isn't actually the journey but making plans and getting out the door. Is it because you are doing something for you and it is 'me time'? Hi Lynx - nice to see you back again. Does it mean you will be the sole breadwinner now? Hope you enjoy Hawaii. That reminds me, I wonder how An&el is getting on. PLG - that's a lot of presents you would been buying (all the babies) if you hadn't got into knitting and jewellery making. Monsoon - is that kitchen table clear yet? Hi Sallie, have you decided on the type of business yet? Hope Jeannette has reached her destination safetly after that bad weather and floods. Jane, are you still with us?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi, everyone, Well, I didn't get my trip today, but not for lack of trying. :evil: While I was at the horse farm, I decided on the town I would visit. I headed out on my route, turned the corner on a certain road and - WHAM! TRAFFIC CONGESTION! As in everyone was stopped. It took me 40 minutes to drive 2 miles to an exit where I could turn around, and the traffic extended even past that point. I don't know if the congestion was caused by an accident or because it was a federal holiday and people were out visiting nearby parks. It was frustrating because I think of that as MY road and I don't want to share it with 2000 of my closest friends. Anyway, I stopped for lunch and wrote about the experience in my new journal, which helped. Sallie, thanks for the tips. I kind of like just meandering down a road and being surprised by what is there, so I often don't bring a map. My car has a GPS system, so I just plug in my home address when I'm ready to go home. However, I've promised myself a "make-up" driving date for today. I'll use your ideas to find a place away from the horse farm since I won't be going there that day. Unity, I think the biggest issue for me is I am running the entire show on these projects. There isn't anyone for me to ask if it's a good idea to go into this restaurant, etc. And I'm also afraid I'm going to get lost or look foolish to the local people. Also, the aspect of the unknown on a pretty mild level. Strong enough to wake up my resistance, though. OK, felt good to get that off my chest. I'll respond to everyone else's projects soon. Thanks for listening. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Mannix, That's a shame you had such a large obstacle. I wonder if it's like me with my lists, I finally started then all sorts of dramas have ocurred in the week, so I've come to a standstill. As long as we don't give up, then it will happen. Re not knowing about the restaurants. Do you look places up on the internet in advance, read reviews? Sometimes sites aimed at locals can come up with interesting information.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jane B » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Hello all, Yes Unity, I'm still here, been meaning to write a post for some time now but have been busy busy as usual. I feel rather frustrated with myself because of something that happened recently. A few nights ago, a famous Canadian artist was giving a free outdoor show at a music festival in my city. His concert attracted tens of thousands of people. Not being a big fan of huge crowds, I decided to skip his concert but I showed up later to see some of my musician friends who were performing on a smaller stage of the festival. After my friends' concert, I was hanging out back stage talking to one of my friends who was in the show. Then all of a sudden, the famous guy who had been playing the big concert just before inserts himself into our conversation and starts talking to my friend. Apparently they knew each other and had worked together in the past or something. When I think about it, it would have been really, really easy for me to introduce myself to this famous guy. Not only was he standing right next to me talking to my friend, but his record label also happens to be one of my translation clients, and I have been translating all his press materials for the past 2-3 years. But instead, I just turned and went over to talk to my other friends. I guess I felt intimidated because he was a higher profile artist and was afraid he would see me as some kind of groupie or something (totally ridiculous). Afterwards, I thought about it and really, really regretted it. It seemed like a golden opportunity to interact with an important figure in the field of my "dream" work, and who knows what that might have led to? The reason I decided to target the music business with my translation work was so that it would create opportunities for me as a musician. What is the use of creating such opportunities when I let them slip away, right under my nose? Hopefully I can use this frustration constructively. Next time I hesitate to approach someone because of some stupid fear or resistance, I'll try and remember how rotten this incident made me feel, so that I won't pass up any other opportunities. This month I will try and work on this. Try to be more proactive about meeting and approaching people in all sorts of situations. That and taking small steps to increase my productivity and avoid distractions in the home office. I've been finding that increasingly difficult in the summertime.
Jane B
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Jane, I think you're being too hard on yourself. It was a very unexpected situation and it's not surprising that you reacted like that. If you read my post above, I'm also re-running an event in my mind where I should have done this and that. I think everyone does this. But it's good news because it now appears you have a number of connections to him through your friend, the translation work, you never know how that brief meeting may be of big significance in time to come. It happened to me, here's what happened. I had a connection to this record producer but didn't realise who he was because I hadn't known he had 2 seperate music businesses. So I could have talked to him every week if I'd known! And he'd even sent me a cd that he'd recorded of my son, and I still didn't realise as I thought it was all done with a charity. I met up with him some years later and it was by accident as I still didn't know who he was and needed a question answered and picked the first person I came to. I was flabbergasted when I discovered he owned a recording company. He showed a lot of interest in the question I asked him and instead of just explaining it, he decided to come over to my house with all his equipment. I must admit that I never expected him to literally turn up, that seemed too far fetched. But he did, and many times too until he went abroad and even then he emailed and said I could get further help via his company if I contacted them. But I was too embarassed as he had done it for free and I didn't know if they would. Very unexpected chain of events. I think I wrote about this years ago on here. So perhaps in your case, the timing might not have been right, but it doesn't mean that it isn't meant to be at all. How is everyone else feeling today? Any travel plans Mannix?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:21 am

Congratulations on the baby grandaughter Sally. Thanks for the support.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 am

Hi Mannix: I know how you feel about the Fourth of July traffic.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories