150 Steps for July '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for July '09

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:41 am

Today seemed like a good day to network.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi all Lynx, I would have never guessed your line of work. Amazing what we discover on here. PLG, I know what you mean about going somewhere and ending up with 'yet another' craft project. I haven't bought anything in ages as I'm only doing UFO's (unfinished). Today an online friend sent me some photos of her latest very unusual hand made cards and one of them looks like a tree trunk with a hollow, and there's an owl inside and straight away that 'I must try it' feeling came up. I'm going to ignore it. :D Well done about the cigarettes. 22 weeks! Sally how are those business ideas? What did you paint Jeannette? Jane, how is your songwriting going? Mannix, is your basement all sorted now?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 am

Unity-- I'm working on the business ideas but is going slower that I thought. Almost everything does, I try to remember that when things get dissapointing. But I keep plugging away. This month I have also been working on moving in and finding places for everything. I have way too many books but love them all so much it would be hard to get rid of any..so I've been finding places for them. Have the basement area partially set up for a crafting area & general storage. My daughter & I have made an identifying list of a portion of our Barbie Dolls & I found & ordered a book on-line that will help her identify values of the dolls. Started crocheting some little starters for Granny Squares that I hope to eventually package & sell--Picked a product name, a temporary logo, and am thinking about some cute, eye catching, inexpensive packaging. Found some great old crochet patterns that AI had packed away too. Don't have the time to start them right now. Got all Tanya' s paperwork together to get her in school. I'm a mess at filing those things so bits and pieces were everywhere...also got paperwork together & mailed out to file for a health insurance policy for her. Also got her signed up for after-school daycare through the park district...now will have to look around for some before school care...funny that the school, nor the park keep any resource lists for parents. Good Girl for 22 weeks of not smoking...I haven't smoked for about 17 years & still don't consider myself a non-smoker...I'll always be afraid of the thought of "just 1 cigarette" cause I know if I get lured into that I'd go right back to almost 3 packs a day in no time. I think I'' always carry that fear with me. Must go...l.time to feed the baby. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi everyone: Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Sally you have got a lot to keep you busy. Why does Tanya need before and after school care I'm wondering? Is that something that all children do over there? Looking forward to hearing more about your crochet kits. Sally how are you around your family that smoke? Doesn't the smoke give you a craving or is it only if you have one yourself that you will re-start? PLG, what with those lecherous guys? I thought the problem was with you not buying a package as opposed to individual lessons. Now you've got men fancying you as well?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:38 am

Hi Unity:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi, everyone, Thank you all for the condolences on the death of friend. The whole thing was so sad. He passed away at a very early age. Well, I guess there isn't much else to say. A memorial service for him is tentatively planned for next month. I did go on my North Carolina trip and it was good to get away. I met a woman who was the wife of one of the other cribbage players and we went to visit the the University campus together. She, too, made the choice to be childless and it was soooo refreshing to be with someone else who made this decision. I didn't get to many of the attractions I'd planned to visit, but the trip was a success because I was social and got out and did things and didn't just hide in the hotel room. I even went to breakfast by myself! :D Immediate goals also involve travel and doing something because I want to, alone or not. The first one is to attend the open training camp for our NFL team, the Washington Redskins. I've been wanting to go for a number of years, but never did because I couldn't find someone to go with me. I've been communicating with an interested friend on Facebook about it, and our schedules are frustratingly opposite. She can go on days I can't. So looks like I'll have to go when I can. Other than that, no huge goals for now, other than to "follow my nose" toward things that interest me.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:41 pm

PLG, sorry "Fred Astaire" seems to be turning into an unpleasant experience. That's awful they're putting pressure on you to fork over so much money. Maybe it's time to think about what you're enjoying most about the dancing and look for a saner way to get it, like with the salsa teacher you met? Congratulations on staying away from those cigarettes! Unity, our basement is in pretty good shape, but we still have no new floor in the front of the house and the guest bathroom is still torn apart. We need to commit to choosing a new floor and whether we want the floor to extend to other parts of the house. My husband and I both seem to like the same shades/kinds of wood but they don't match the wood ornamental columns and bannisters. So we'd have to get those replaced and the guy from the floor place said that needs to be done before they install the new floor. Plus we don't have a figure as to how much we should spend. We need to get the ball rolling or we'll be walking on the subflooring forever. I'm going to call and set up another appointment with the floor people tomorrow; that will at least give us a deadline. Jeanette, I'm so sorry August is a trying time for you. I'm glad those rituals are helping. Can you start something happy for yourself in August so you can have that memory every year as well? Lynx, so you didn't have to do the abstinence teach-back? Something you'll have to do in the future? Hope you enjoyed your time in Hawaii. Sally, it may seem to you that the business development is going slow but sounds like you are making regular progress so don't forget that! I'd be interested in learning which book you're getting to identify your Barbies' values. I have some "Best of the West" action figures and horses and it would be fun to find out how much they're worth. Well, must go now. I'm a bit run-down and bedtime's coming early. Have a good evening, everybody, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Wow, PLG, the Fed Astaire thing does sound like a pain sometimes--one where you have to be on guard, which is a shame when you love an activity. Unity, sometimes people need to work BEFORE kids go to school, as well as after they are done. Elementary schools here often start around 9:00. If a parent has to be at work at 8:00, but doesn't get home until 4:30 or so, see the problem? This is OFTEN the problem among not just single parents, but working parents as well. Shool's six hours. Work is eight plus a commute. So I can well see why Sally has to deal with that. Mannix, I"m so glad you went on the trip. And I will be okay in August. I'm better going into it than I have been in a long time. I always try to do some special things during the month, but mostly, this year, I am finding a different way to honor the people I loved so dearly with the strong associations in that month. Seems in my world, almost ALL the horrible stuff happened in February or August. In a way, though, this is good. Nothing traumatic associated with OTHER months! I'm not around much these days because I have a lot of work--THAT is the most wonderful reason in the world not to be here, though. Catch you all later, probably on the weekend.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Unity--school starts at about 8:30 am and goes to 2:45pm. The type of job I usually work at starts at 5am and runs until 5pm or later...12 hour shifts usually. I hope to work only 3 days a week and am hoping to schedule my work days on the days my daughter & her husband are off. Employers are not very flexible about scheduling hours around school times. I'm very surprised that schools don't keep lists of the areas before/after school programs available and of area sitters who would be willing to watch kids. Was looking back at my goals for July (made them too demanding on myself--Barbara talks about this problem in one of her books) Tanya is doing some better in her reading, she's tried very hard. I'm proud of her efforts. The Barbie books are "Warman's Barbie Doll Field Guide--2nd Edition" and "Collectors Encyclopedia of Barbie Doll Collectors Editions". I think Warman's has other 'Field Guides" available too besides Barbies. I got both used and am pleased, they are in perfect condition. I discovered that in looking for this type book used it is wise to pay attention to the publishng date so you can get the most current information. PLG sorry that FA is giving you such a financial hard time. Have you bought shoes too? Mine were about $125. I think they get a commission on how much money they get someone to sink into lessons (not sure). There must be other places that teach ballroom dance around. Community Centers? They may be just as much fun and less pressuring. Jeannette my heart goes out to you. This year the anniversary of my late husbands suicide came and went and I didn't realize it until a days after...(it's been 10 years & still hurts but not so acutely) life was just too busy at the time. Anniversaries of negative things can be hard. Hope August is better this year. One of the books I'm reading this month has been Barbara's book "It's only too late if you don't start Now". Very good book, full of lots of wisdom. Sooo I'm a little over 40..it still relates. I might get that done before July is out. Only a couple chapters left. Also found a little time to practice the piano...delightful. When I was more financially able I'd bought lots of piano books that I'd planned to someday learn to play. Unpacking them was like unpacking old beloved dreams. I've been working on a few songs. I was never good at memorizing the songs but one of my goals is to memorize some of these songs. I'll keep plugging away at it. Want to be able to play Christmas songs for the family at Christmastime. Also unpacked and organized music CD's so they are accessable. I put them into a book style CD holder--threw out all the jewel cases--but kept the Identifying paperwork from inside into the book. It takes up a lot less space & now can find the CD's I want to listen to more readily. A new CD puts me to sleep every night. Tonite is Celtic dulcimer music, very relaxing. Finally my reinstated Illinois nursing license arrived. Hooray! It took so long I was getting worried. It made me feel like something was going right in my life. Besides thinking about my own business I am toying with the idea of going back to school for a Masters & would like to eventually end up with a pHd. Haven't decided on area of focus yet, but have a few ideas. Would like to start that in January if it's financially feasable. There should be more scholarships for us 'old people' too!! Soon to decide which of July's goals to continue into August. Baby is great...had his first bb vegies today..green beans....he wore most of it..what a face he made!!! sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 am

Hi all, Jeannette and Sally re the pre and after school care. I understand now. I was just focusing on your ideas about the work from home business. Piano -it will give you something nice to do for yourself away from family responsibilities. I have phases with it, either I'm doing it 6 hrs daily or not at all. I don't think I've played since last year. Learning songs for Christmas is a good motivation to memorize the songs. Mannix, you sound as though you've got a very 'posh' basement, ornamental columns etc. I've realised that it's something completely different than I thought it was. So it's actual living quarters with guest bed?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi, everyone, I can't believe it's the end of July already :!: Unity, I must have been unclear about the status of my house - my basement is NOT posh! Actually, it's a big storage area for clutter plus cat litter boxes and the laundry. :) The wood fixtures I was talking about are in our living room. The floors that need replacing are in the living room area, although we may put some kind of new flooring in the basement later. Jeanette, thanks for the support re my recent trip. Sounds like you'll be spending August engrossed in work - and doing things to honor those you lost sounds like a great idea. Keep on that positive path! Sally, thanks for the information on the Warman's guides. Glad you could get a good used one - do you think there's a "Warman's Field Guide to Warman's Field Guides?" :lol: I have the audio tapes for "It's Only Too Late ..." My husband got them for me well before I turned 40 - he didn't check the subtitle! But I think they have useful information regardless of one's age. PLG, what's going on with Fred Astaire these days? Don't let those pushy dancers drive you back to smoking! (I like to think the real Fred Astaire would be ashamed that people working under his name are exercising such tactics.) Wrap-up for me: I'm still confronting that beast I talked about at the beginning of the month. For next month, I'm going to approach the situation more like a scientist. I'm operating under the theory that some deep inner obstacles are keeping me in a cycle where I venture only so far into a project and then retreat, essentially staying in the same, safe place. I have to find a balance between moving forward slowly and steadily and moving so slowly I stand still. Also that I don't have to choose a specific big goal, but just follow my nose toward things that interest me ... and honor who I am. More on this next month. Hope to see you all on the August thread! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:01 am

Mannix, thanks for putting me straight about your basement. I could really identify with you re the personal goals, going so far then stopping and retreating. I've been doing the same with my personal challenge thread. Got really enthusiastic at the start, started working through the back burners then an abrupt halt, just because there were some changes in my normal home routines. Is there a similar reason for you? Change of circumstances that stops you or have you identified something else?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories