Taming my website

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Taming my website

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:18 am

I have been struggling with an update for one of my websites for a very long time now. I have been promising those interested an update and I have yet to fulfill that promise. I have completely redone this site many times on my home computer but almost nothing has been uploaded for others to see. I am not happy with anything I have done until now. I finally have something I can be proud of. I gave up doing everything myself and bought a Flash template with separate modules that I can customize. It has music and everything, which I can change. Since I can’t get the hang of Flash and xml this was a great solution for me. The problem is getting it all finished. I have been poking at it for months, working for hours and getting almost nothing done. (finding a mistake in an xml file takes a very long time) I refuse to put this site up until it is to my liking. I finally have begun to tame this beast in the only way I know how. Yesterday I made a long list of things to do. I went through the site and listed each component that had to be added or modified. This makes it easier to concentrate on the elements of one component and not get distracted by all the other elements that need attention. It also will help with my time management. I can get one thing done, cross it off the list and let it go for the day. I have also given myself a time for completion and launch. Instead of telling myself that all will be done by next week I gave myself the date of January, 2010. It seems like a long way off but I am slow and I have people to call for interviews, a power point autobiography to create and tons of information to gather. With my list to look at and plenty of time I am able to work on it and not freak out so much. WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Taming my website

Postby IfDreamsWereForSale » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:47 am

Hi Wolf Goddess, Good on you! I'm a big fan of lists! They're a great calmer of the stress levels and often they clear your head enough to see through the panic. *grins* It's great that you've given yourself time to work at it at your own pace. What's the website about? IfDreamsWereForSale.
IfDreamsWereForSale
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:52 am

It's about Black people around the world with albinism. Albinism is a condition where the person cannot produce melanin or pigment. You can go here http://www.goldenalbinism.com to see what is up now. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Wolf Goddess, checked out the websites...they're amazing...I love the artwork, especially the horses, I'm a horse fan. Were some of those illustrations in children's books?? I ask because one of them looked extremely familiar. You certainly are hugely talented. I think my (adopted) daughter Tanya may have some artistic talent...I want to encourage her as much as possible. When she first arrived from Russia she didn't speak any English & I no Russian...so one of the ways we connected and bonded was through drawing simple little pictures. I'd take a pad of paper and pencils or pens with whenever we'd go to church (and she had to sit through a service she didn't understand) and she'd draw & I drew a little too....it really helped to find that way to 'communicate'. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:04 am

Hi, sallypz: None of the illustrations on my site, except for the Dream Riders has been published. That's something I want to happen in 2010. I used to draw in school and in church. I drew on anything with a blank surface. I would walk around with a pencil in my hand until my mother would yell at me to put it down. I say this because drawing, like writing is a way of communicating. I agree that you should encourage your daughter to create visual art. If she is showing talent, that great. But even if she didn’t show traditional "talent": that is, even if she doesn't prove to be a draftsperson, there are many types of artistic expressions such as visual journals, abstracts and he like. As long as she makes art, that's all that counts. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:47 am

Beautiful work, Wolfgoddess. Just beautiful. I'm a fractal kinda person and I love your saying you "discovered" those designs, rather than did them. Still, there is art in discovery. Sally, I think the work I'm doing with the mom and her daughter amounts to letting the mom "discover" things so that she doesn't get in the way of her daughter's discovering her emerging voice artistically. Seems to me so much of traditional teaching--whether it be art or anything--squelches the voice. So glad you are encouraging her to explore. Anyway, back to you Wolfgoddess. I hope you can sell some of your work. Have you thought of doing a gallery that illustrates a beloved story you've read? Just including the story (if copyright allows), or something that inspired you in your own life, and telling the story for us on your website? You write beautifully as well. Good luck on making it through your list. I look forward to seeing what you do with the fractals!
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for those words, Jeanette :) I needed them. I am struggling this morning with things that are stressing me out. :bash: Putting my work out there for sale is part of my resistance. One of my projects is a graphic novel that is autobiographical. I am depicting the characters as animals, devils and gods. That way I can keep my readers and myself entertained and avoid a lawsuit. :D So, to answer your question, yes, I thinking of illustrating and writing stories for the site. You are right about traditional teaching, squelching the voice. You have to be careful of that and let the person discover his or her artistic voice. Although I went to art school they did not teach me how to create art. They taught the mechanics and introduced me to techniques, but each person must use the natural talents they already possess. It's the same with poetry. I would like to get some writing assignments too. I an glad you are successful with your writing. (got that from your blog) :D WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:01 pm

WG, That's the one I think I saw on the cover of a book in the children's section of a bookstore??? somewhere like that. Can't remember exactly where I saw it. Knowing me, I will probably go to a local bookstore and look for it. Beautiful work. You are so extremely talented. I hope you can go far with your artwork. Love it!!! sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby erikacleve » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:23 am

Wow, Wolf goddess! Your site is amazing! I don't think I will ever get to the stage of being able to create so much on my website. It is powerful stuff and I want to go look at it some more. For those who talked about the healing powers of art, I used to work professionally as an art therapist for many years. But somehow it was not until my own son started having difficulties at school but responded very well to art, that I saw even more deeply the power of art to heal. I see it also in my own art. I had not been in my studio since this most recent move three years ago but now I am back and loving it. I find the art is healing me too. I look forward to hearing more about your art and stories, Wolf goddess and I also encourage you to publish. warmly, Erika
erikacleve
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Success Stories