150 Steps for August '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps for August '09

Postby Mannix » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:13 am

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for August '09

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:35 am

Hi everyone: Wow, there was so much information in the last posts of July.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:59 pm

My challenge is simple: Be there for the people who truly need me this month--there are several--BUT do not give mySELF away. I have to remember that I must keep my work the top priority (except for the immediate problem--see Monthly challenges, if you are curious). I have to remember that maybe I DO matter here, not just the other people. And I must remember to keep writing in the blog, even though things are scary just now. Maybe not today or the next few days, but I cannot let a few crises throw me entirely off course. My health situation will ALWAYS be fragile. And the people I love the most have equal fragility, so one or the other among us will have needs. I did manage to get the bare bones of a new routine for work, painting, and my FUN writing. And I am determined to send my short story in for the contest tituba found. I never know what to list as my steps, so I consider it reperesentative of how we attain our goals one small step at a time. 1) breathe. Deliberately and consciously every single morning when I stretch. Get that yoga thing IN there to start my day. 2) Claim my morning hour and a half. Even if I get up earlier. It is MY time that my body makes peace with gravity and my brain makes peace with pain. And I smile by the end of that time. 3) Do whatever it takes to keep myself working on my stanford work, my blog and/or personal spec writing, and my painting, IN THAT ORDER. The first two five days a week, the other at least twice a week. MAKE THE TIME. 4) Remember that steps 1-3 make all the difference in how I cope with everything. Have a good week one and all.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:01 am

OK, I'm in for this month. Nice to see you gals are still doing this. It seems these challenges have split into so many different specialized threads that this thread has thinned out. This is the only place where ALL that stuff goes on at once, so I guess this is where I belong. I'm going to have to rally my organizational skills to get myself to CA to see if it's possible to do a four month trip. I'm not sure in the current level of CA financial state that people will be able to foot my bill of getting a new town phone book out...but we shall see how that works when I get there. An essential part of the plan was to sublet my place here in Hawaii while I'm gone. I've got a nibble on this, but they're being cagey. So probably I should look for someone else. Not sure how to go about this, but I guess I'll figure it out in a hurry soon. I'm not nervous about painting cartoons on windows for Christmastime though. At least I know that will work. But it's a long way until November, so I hope I can get myself on the plane, get at least one of my cars running and keep my head above water while I orchestrate the rest of this.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Welcome Ansel:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Got references from the potential renters. Wrote another potential renter. Scanned virus checker when I hooked up the old laptop to print out the paperwork for one day job. Wrote email to obviate potential problems with that job. Sent letter to my brother who promised to help with illustration ideas. Looked for more images to make art with for illustrations. Edited captions. Called to reschedule trip for Thurs. Booked interview on Wed. midday. Reviewed material for it. Washed my bed mattress pad. It looks like it shrank, but that's probably an illusion because I used cold water. Got rid of my house guest.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Hello August

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi All, Not a long note. Had 'buying a new computer' on the list for a while, and tonite, we got one, an 24 inch IMac. A beaut. Now the hook ups, networking, transfers, and other assorted new machine issues begin. Just tonight, trying to buy a cable revealed that paypal had me with a defunct card, which took a bit of detective work to correct. I hope it works to keep us using our current HP Laserjet 4 Plus printer (we love it and it's rated for 1 million copies, so we know it has a lot of life left. The toner gives 6000 copies, etc). I'm facing a lot of dental work this month, and may be seeking a place to comment on the process here. Thanks in advance. Welcome back An8el. I've commented on your help with my Hawaiian trip somewhere in the July thread. My off-work goal this month is to continue to memorize the sequence of 64 chapters in the I Ching. Well, Unity, before February even I wouldn't have guesses my line of work! It came with the job. Someone asked would I have to do some teaching on abstinence from sex to teens? Probably at some point, but after the training I had last week, even had a gentleman in my study group who does those trainings! I think I'll be prepared. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi, everyone. I think this is going to be an interesting month for me. Steps, immediate picture: -- Make choices that honor who I am. -- Attend one session of the Washington Redskins open training camp, taking place this week. -- Make a decision about going to the beach this month with my family. Yes, it's a repeat of last year. My sister's assuming I'm going to take her son with me. My mother has already volunteered my chauffeuring services without telling me. Would sister express appreciation if I took her son? Um ... nah. Don't let accommodating my family affect when I go, or if I go at all. -- Spend 20 minutes on a personal interest (coming up with a new blog topic, signing up for classes, etc.). Obstacle: As soon as I plan to do one of these activities, resistance hits big-time! Even for something as simple as going to the training camp, which is no commitment at all! The bigger picture: Today, my Alexander teacher said he felt I had the strength of character to work with him on physically releasing anger/rage I'm feeling concerning past wrongs in childhood, etc. I sense some of these strong emotions coming up now, but I don't want to feel them in their full intensity and the whole idea sounds a little scary. On the other hand, if I do this work, it may release me from what seems to be a cycle where I'm constantly butting up against some fear and don't go any further on goals that interest me. Hope everyone is doing well, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Mannix--I'm very curious--what is an Alexander teacher?? And, oh goodness, I have problems with resistance too. Pops up even for things I like doing. My one big goal for August--work on not expecting immediate gratification for everything. Seems like the minute I decide I want to do something I want immediate big results, then get discouraged when the process takes longer than expected. For instance as in losing weight--Every time I decide to lose weight--if I don't see immediate huge results within days of the decision I get discouraged and quit. Talk about being unrealistic. So while continuing to work on everything else left over from July, I'll work on that one too. Nothing else new for August until I finish up on July's leftovers. An8el--you have been busy. It's late in the evening & I am on an energy low at this time of day..but wish I had your energy to go for a few hours more. PLG--Interesting that you make jewelry---I just this weekend went to a 'Jewelry Party" at one of my daughter's friends homes. It was kind of like a 'Tupperware Party', but with Jewelry. The company is local & only sells their jewelry through this kind of party. Interestingly they had some pieces that were reversable--gold color on one side, silver color on the other. I've never seen that in jewelry before. It was an interesting way for a small business to market their jewelry. This year has flown by..can't believe it's already August. Somewhere I have a booklet/yearly calendar that I started in January--I had a list of Goals for 2009 as the first page...I will have to find that and see how many have been accomplished. Also have an ongoing file of 50+ things to be, do or have that I started some years ago. Had the chance to review it yesterday....checked off some of them accomplished. Put away the folder for Move Near my Older Daughter as done. It's an interesting file. There is a folder for each thing that I decide I want to be, do, or have..in each folder there is a description and an, often sketchy, written plan on how to accomplish that thing. Often that's all it takes...at that point I give it over to my subconscious..sometimes it's like the things accomplish themselves after that point. Other times I may have to do a little work on the particular thing. Like, one of the things is to visit as many zoos as I can across the US (even the world)..in order to accomplish that I have to do a little research & that one is an ongoing process. (This Thursday we're going to the zoo!!) Didn't mean to ramble on. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 pm

hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi, everyone! Sally, you asked the million-dollar question. I've struggled to find a concise definition for the Alexander Technique. It's the study of moving one's body free of unnecessary tension, a much more complex process than it sounds. For example, chronic pain in one's shoulder could be caused by unnecessary tensing of the neck muscles. The Alexander Technique could help a person with this condition to break the habit of neck tensing. PLG, thanks for the commiseration on family issues. Sorry you've had to put up with your tribe's idiosyncracies, too. I wonder if we'll ever get them figured out. What did you decide to do about the dance-a-thon? Recent accomplishments: Got to the Redskins training camp today! Got lots of pictures of the gladiators in action. It rained, but I had a great time. Did 3 20-minute sessions of general goalwork. Have decided I want to go to the beach, even if it means finding a reasonable way to handle my family. I also spent 20 minutes looking at old 1950s ads for homes - got completely engrossed! I talked to my husband about my Alexander teacher's offer to help me release some deep feelings of anger. He doesn't think it's a good idea - not sure an Alexander teacher would be qualified for something like this and it might do me harm. He thinks I should talk to a psychiatrist about the idea first. I don't know if I want to do that either. So now I have more doubt and conflict about the whole thing. Grr. I got an e-mail from my old teleconference buddy yesterday. She's getting ready to run for public office in September. She wants to know what I've been up to and I'm not sure what to say. I feel like I haven't done much of anything. :? Anyway, hope you are all doing well this evening, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Alexander Technique described for Sallypz & Mannix's hubby

Postby An8el » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Reporting in... Nice to read everyone's contributions. Hey, that was a pretty good desciption, Mannix! Sallypz , lately I like to describe Alexander Technique as "the art of clearing what you taught yourself to repeat by accident." It works by training effortless during movement education - as a proving ground for how you are carrying thoughts into action. Practicing it uncovers deep postural attitudes (used in the nautical sense) about identity, along with the strategies you use to problem solve and confront learning. Mannix, your husband may be right. Training in Alexander Technique doesn't include psychological counseling techniques. However, there is a specialized field of Alexander Technique that specializes in psychological issues. It's called "Learning Methods". Was originated by David Gorman. Perhaps your Alexander Technique teacher is trained in this? If so, you can have your husband read about it online. www.learningmethods.com and see what he thinks. Generally the purely Alexandrian experience about this is this: If you are going in the positive direction you do want to go in, you leave what you do not want behind in the dust. An example of this, (foundations of Gorman's work) are experienced as you trace the beginning of the unwanted reaction back closer and closer. At it 's source, before the reaction goes off, there will be the original feelings that put the habit into place to remedy. Once there, (and it's uncomfortable to hang out there) if you use Alexander Technique (instead of your habitual remedy, which may be anger) to move out of the physical responses you are having while inside of the feelings, you may then experience a significant insight. This insight may contain a reply of the moment you installed the habit originally! It will often contain the compassion for yourself having dealt with the issue in the best way you could manage at the time. However, using Alexander Technique in this context works best when you are in the situation that is triggering the reaction itself. So after you apply Alexander Technique to improve your posture, you can then look at the situation that is making you angry with new eyes and new unity of coordination. The new perceptual sense and awareness ability provided by "refreshing" the perceptual system that Alexander Technique provides - when turned toward the question of how to deal with these feelings without doing the old same thing? Usually there are many more "grownup" solutions available. The approach of psychology has been, generally, a catharsis sort of Pheonix. This is pretty much against the more subtle and gentle approach of Alexander - which is to wear away at a problem and "fool" it until the unwanted habit resigns the game. Anyway - you wouldn't imagine all this would come from movement education, would you?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:42 pm

OK, now my progress: Got my www pages updated. Had to type in from a new template because something screwy was going on with the old template pages. Can't upload them yet because the servers are being worked on. Chomping at the bit about that. Fielded some calls about my little phone book biz. Planning to get that rolling soon and make calls for the first round of that. People are already ahead of me, it's great to get that evidence. Was worried because many people have still not paid their advertising bills from last year's phone book. That's the start of a three months project. Still haven't sublet my place on the Big Island. People keep flaking out. Anyone want a studio apt. in Hawaii for 4 to 6 months in the area near all of the expensive hotels? All the "extra" amenities, privacy, etc. at roommate prices? About $725 for everything, (give or take your electricity usage. Only a car is not included.) Hopefully starting in Sept. and through Dec. at least...could be until March 1 if you like. It's flexible and I can't leave until I do sublet it. Think I'm going to just give it to my friend to use for six months in exchange for fixing it. That would work for me splendidly, and her too. I have to sublet because my car is broken...so I can't move my stuff into storage!!! I've compiled the images that I've got to my book. Now I have to do some serious artwork. Now I know what I'm drawing, I'm collecting the images from photos to make collages for the illustrations that I have yet to draw. Still haven't done my time-line for my trip because I haven't gotten my apt. sublet. Guess I'll have to do it anyway and not connect it to a date, but just a count-down process of listing everything that has to be done in what order... Solved a project question for starting another phone book in a neighboring town. Wondering if I can do both of them at the same time? It's probably too much for me...but it's very tempting.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

check in 8.9.09

Postby Lynx » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:47 am

Wazzup, An8el and Mannix, thanks for the conversation on Alexander Technique. My Reiki Sensei said that when there is no cause there's no effect. We learned to trace back the pattern to the original incident, or at least at close as we could get our client to recall or imagine. And then we did all in our combined abilities to dissolve that first scar. Walking around going through the motions. Neither happy, nor sad. Just in the middle mood, getting along. Bot the new IMac, came with color inkjet printer. Both up and running. Hassles getting the AppleCare plan registered. Hassle getting the cable and possible the drivers so our workhorse HP Laserjet will continue to be of service. Hassle figuring out where all the packaging will be stored and how to get our old computer updated and given away to my brother. One thing that could get me excited would be to attend The Body as Oracle workshop next month at an island retreat near my home. I'm currently in the process of memorizing the entire sequence of 64 hexagrams for the I Ching and this workshop would be just the place to 'embody' this achievement. My goal is to learn them well enough that I can cross reference them from memory and in essence be able to do readings without having to refer to the texts. No due date. I'm between worlds. My meta-physical healer has confirmed that risky behavior is something that I can still handle, and indeed it still brings me great joy and energy. But my life is still two crowded to do it well with decent odds for success. So I'm thinking of 'settling' and putting my money with a mutual fund for now with two accounts, one that keyed to the stock market and one that's less risky. At least I would have the option of taking money out of risk should I sense a bear market. The other whether-world is my book. I'm feeling more rested and inclined to work on it, but as I think about it, more duties around the house keep cropping up. Also, I like the feeling of non-pressure. Ah. My partner has taken what we call a 'lead parachute' severance package from her job. She's home now everyday, and with the new computer and all her stuff from work, we're moving and shifting stuff around. So much so that I lost one of her books I borrowed three weeks ago. I've searched and just can't find it. I even feel I've lost the 'thread of feeling' that I'm connected to it. I think it's out of print but available in used book stores. So now I have to put in time searching for it. ... Third whether-world, is this the right time to seek out a muse/co-counselor. Visited the conservatory on Friday where my prior great co-counselor placed a memorial to her dead daughter. (Fell and died a few days later, age 12). Our relationship never returned to co-counseling after her daughter died. Much loss befell me after that and connected with not having the support while not realizing how crucial it had been to my prior success. Though I'm working to strengthen my self-support I want to integrate it with co-support. That's my question for the I Ching: What's path from self-support to interwoven mutual support? L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories