150 Steps for August '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for August '09

Postby An8el » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Lynx, I've had some success using the I Ching to search for lost items. If you think of it metaphorically when you ask: Where is this book now that I am seeking? It can give you a picture of what environment the book is in. For instance, if you got #29, it would be trapped in a crevasse, (and to get out the book has to turn into water!) so you'd go looking behind the dishwasher for instance. A hexagram with no changing lines is an unchanging state. I've asked the I Ching, "Where is my cat? that was lost and it admonished me for being late. This reading made me remember the day the cat disappeared held the possibility that the cat, unseen, had gotten into the back of our camper shell on the way to a party when we were loading the car up with music equipment, (because I had brought the car home late that morning.) This led us to put "LOST CAT" posters up in the area of the party, (where the cat had gotten out of the back of the camper shell unseen) and we found our kitty! I'll have to report later on my progress... haven't done anything notable today yet. There is a hurricane - ah, only a tropical storm - coming and I should put more of my books and papers in plastic bags in case it actually arrives. :evil:
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 pm

just an update - there is not going to be a hurricane here...and I'm thinking of moving from Hawaii. :jawdrop: I'm kidding. Is anyone paying attention or is everyone on vacation in August except the few of us here?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 am

Hi An&el, you're not alone (sounds like an episode of X files :D) I've been reading the posts but not felt inclined to comment possibly because I don't have anything to say this month at all (for a change :lol: ) So I'm just a silent witness :? (hope you did avoid the bad weather)
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:21 am

Hi everyone: On Friday I got up and colored my hair.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 pm

parale, ou are exercising admirable determination & resolve, in the face of insurmountable temptation... :mrgreen: Congrats reaching the six month Non-Smoking landmark - keep it up!
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:05 am

Hi, everybody, I hope I'm not skipping over everyone else's accomplishments too much. I've been preoccupied and I wanted to post something before I get wrapped up in my stuff for today. An8el, thanks for the clarifications on the Alexander Technique. For the moment, I've decided not to attempt this extra class my teacher suggested. It may be something I want to do in the future, but I don't feel comfortable trying it now, and my gut instinct is to go slowly through this process. PLG, I'm sorry you've been hounded by those dance instructors. Sounds like that one is saying, "How much do you make? Well, that's plenty for you to fork over to me for dance lessons." I hate it when people do that - make a judgment on where you should spend your own money. People do that to me all the time with my personal schedule. "Oh, you have plenty of time for your own stuff and to do my commitment!" If that's the attitude of the Fred Astaire dance company I'd bid the entire thing farewell. And congratulations on staying away from the cigarettes. An8el, glad you escaped the hurricane threat. I've been watching old "Hawaii Five-O" DVDs - did I see you in the background on one of them? :D Lynx, glad you're in a calm place now. I think I've found that spot, too, after 2 weeks of internal instability. But I guess we know more storms will be on the horizon soon. Off to the rest of the day. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks everyone for your vote of support!
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:02 am

Yuck, PLG, sorry again that's been such a mess for you. I guess you can take comfort in Barbara Sher's comment that confronting an unpleasant situation raises your self-esteem and you did that by going down to the office. (I would have just not answered the phone. :? ) Hope you can find something fun with caring instructors to replace this. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks Mannix:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

update 8.13.09

Postby Lynx » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:19 pm

Yo, Went to a workshop in Portland OR Tuesday and Wednesday and the facilitator shared this hot idea he'd downloaded from a cool web site: Idea Parties by none other than Barbara Sher! I got the chance to share about these boards, the 30th anniversary relaunch of wishcraft, etc. it's so fun when i actually know something. began the process of getting a crown on a tooth today, and a complication (minor) arose. I now have to travel well out of town (major hassle) to get my tooth color matched at the crown maker's. Two trips. Geez. PLG - you're yearning for something, and clearly paid dance 'lessons' is not the route. You might try your local meet-ups (meet-up.com I think), activities and groups on craigslist, etc. I once saw a group of students with a boom box in jeans dancing the lindy hop in the middle of my local university campus. they were having a grand time and not a collection box in site. Mannix-the calm visits and the calm goes away. Yesterday before today's visit to the dentist I was really put out. I'm also cranky because I'm giving up sugar and its no fun! How come other people can eat all the candy they want and nothing happens? It's not fair! My partner still eats cupcakes, ice cream, pies, etc. so it's sad when I can't join in the fun. An8el, thanks for the reminded to use the I Ching to find the book. I abandoned the search and managed to get a used on in Portland. I was getting so annoyed with myself so I just cut the process, declared it a loss (like an insurance company) and began to search out another copy. $5, used. I'm closing the case. Perhaps next time. Could try it for the lost paring knife, bed sheet (how did we lose a bed sheet? have no idea) pyrex lids, and a bunch of other stuff except I suspect the trail is cold. On the good side, our new IMac is working well, and we managed to get it working with our old workhorse printer. Next we need to make sure we have all the files off the old computer, have an expert install the most recent OS it can carry (it's a G4) and ship it to my brother. We also have a monitor but it's heavy and bulky. Might sell it here and send him the money to buy his own there. I dunno. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Thank you all for the lesson on Alexander Technique. Yes, at times I've found that when I'm having pain that it's because I've tensed up my body for a long period of time in some way or another...as in when I had migraines...but by the time I realized how much tension I was experiencing in my back, neck, arms I was in too much pain to do much about it...also noticed when I quit smoking years ago that whenever I wanted a cigarette I'd tense up my neck and jaw and hold my breath, so I learned to take deep calming breaths at those times...it worked very well in helping me quit. Sorry to hear about Fred Astair...it's sad they took such a fun activity and made it too expensive and financially stressful...that takes the joy out of dancing...maybe look around for a community center, or park district that offers dance. Don't know much about the I ching, have never tired it. Seems like a big goal to learn all those things to be fluent in use of it. Lynx--talk about serendipity. That must have been a fun workshop. It's always fun to feel you know something & contribute good stuff to a workshop or class. I have been taking a class on line. Nothing big, just a short class that would be useful for my nursing field. It took a few days of work, was not that hard and am glad I did it on line rather than in person. Also have re-done my resume and retyped it. Also have been working at straightening up some old business left over from Florida. It will be good to have that all behind me one of these days. So I've been working on things I planned to do last month & this month. Then went with my daughters to the Wisc. state fair. We have been there in previous years & always enjoy. The ride going up and comming back is so beautiful. (Also went to a Renissance Faire recently..that was great fun...lots of people dressed up in 'period' costues...even some of the visitors come dressed up.) But come home tired with sore feet, because of all the walking and people. Met a lady there who is in the fabric arts business and raises alpacas on a small acerage. She had some lovely alpaca & alpaca blend knitted and woven items...alpaca makes such a soft end product...almost as soft as cashmere. I had an enjoyable discussion about yarn, weaving, animals etc... When my late husband was alive part of my dream was to do almost exactly what she is doing...I jokingly told my older daughter, "She has my life!!". Perhaps it would be worthwhile to rekindle some of that old love of fabric arts...Maybe I could take a seminar/class in weaving or something like that...I'll look into that. It would also be nice to crochet an alpaca yarn something, and a cashmere yarn something. I located a web site (and I know there's others) where I can get some yarn, eventually I'll do that. Right now am working on 2 other sewing projects. Local traveling was part of what I wanted to do when I moved here...went to a concert in the park recently also..The park is only a couple blocks from the house, sat on the grass on blankets, listened to music and watched the kids play. Also in Sept is coming a local Irish Fest and a local down-town festival. I want to attend both & they're very close by. I was reading the thread on resistance. Very interesting...that resistance has to do with childhood (or past) experiences of anger or fear. And that isolation makes working toward any goal difficult. At times I tend to isolate myself from people but I guess that's not an effective strategy. I'll start paying attention to that and work on something more effective. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:33 am

Good morning, everybody, Sally, one of the things I'm also learning in the Alexander Technique is that there can be even deeper levels of habitual tension in the body. You don't know enough about the physical processes to direct your body to stop this kind of tensing. (Other, older parts of your brain do, though.) That's where inhibition comes in. For example, my teacher is showing me how to make the request to my body to stop any processes that are unnecessary or unwanted. The request may stop the tension; or it may not. A belief system might be in play that would keep you from stopping the process. I find that when I'm on the right track with this thinking, I will actually switch to a deeper level of breathing. Interesting, eh? Congratulations on using your breathing techniques to help you with quitting smoking and minimizing those migraines. Lynx, that's hilarious about the Idea Party concept. You must have been laughing on the inside because that idea must seem old-hat by now. Sounds like selling the old computer might be the easier option for you. Yesterday, I did exercise 2 from the "Leaving the Ones You Love Behind" chapter in "I Could Do Anything ..." It's yet another exercise in saying what you would have if you could have everything you wanted. You're supposed to say it out loud, but I started out writing it down. My immediate reaction was a feeling of complete loss of focus. Like I'd known a minute ago what I wanted, and the next minute I had no idea. Hmmmm.... A suggestion in the exercise is to think of what you would have if you hadn't had experiences that lead to self-sabotaging. I went back to a time in elementary school when I was bullied and imagined how I had behaved before that started happening. THEN I was able to write. Interesting. I had some more resistance experiences - had to rush upstairs to use the bathroom and comb my hair in the middle of the project - but was able to stay with the exercise and write more afterward. Very interesting! I'm going to take my writing with me on my trip, read it over and see how it feels. Also be on the look-out for what Barbara describes as the "Anti-Success Voice." I have a hunch that, when I read it again, I suddenly won't want those things anymore. So if (when) that voice shows up, I'll ask it, "Why wouldn't I want this?" and write down what it says. Then I'll have completed exercise 3. :) (Actually, I still have to say this stuff out loud. Maybe I'll have a discussion with the cat when I get home.) Today's goal is to do a Wishcraft Sunday night planning session and see how much I got done in the flow charts and goal calendar I made last week. I'm still working on the same charts so that's a major success right there! Usually halfway through, I throw them out and start again (unnecessarily). Hope everyone has a great Sunday, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:08 am

Grr .. resistance to packing! Love to go to the beach, hate to pack. Seems like I'm going to put it off until the last minute again. Anyone else have an aversion to packing (or unpacking)?
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey Mannix - I definitely have a resistance to unpacking, because that means the fun is definitely over. ;( I'm also doing some Wishcraft exercises with a yahoogroup that Barbara looks in on every once in awhile. Let me know if you want to join it. So - I negotiated a way to get my car fixed - by loaning it to a friend of mine while I'm going to be gone. So I drove it over there...30mph the whole way so the axle wouldn't heat up...and my friend introduced me to an excellent mechanic. He had an opinion about other mechanics who take advantage of women by lying to them about how bad their car really is. I signed my car over to my friend so she could insure it in her name and remained the lien holder. Hitchhiked back in the rain, but was very happy to have done something toward my trip. At least I'll have a car when I get back that I don't have to buy and a place to park it while I'm gone. Tried again to post my re-do of my webpages and reported that the FTP interface is definitely not working to the powers that be. Haven't checked back yet about that. Finally broke down and posted my apt. on craigslist after yet another person I knew flaked out on subletting it from me. got the inevitable 3 responses "fishing" - (Even one assuming I'm a guy, fishing signup on a personal site!) But one response is someone who says they're interested. I'm hopeful. So next - is packing. My neighbor is going to fetch some boxes for me, but for now I have grocery bags which work OK because they only have to make it up to the attic. About packing, I hate the winnowing out after realizing that there is all this stuff that I really don't need...and now I don't have a car to get rid of it with. There's always freecycle, where you can advertise stuff for free that needs to disappear. Or I could have a garage sale next weekend, but then I'd have to lug it all downstairs and back upstairs if it didn't sell... Spent some time learning Google Voice. Got a phone number in a town that I'm thinking of expanding my business into if I decide to stay longer in CA. Also spent some time on my Alexander Technique book learning about www.wordclay.com There's another print-on-demand service I'm interested in using. Am racking my brain to remember someone who said they had an ISBN number if I needed one to sell me, as they bought 10 at once. (This is $100. on wordclay, but you get distribution with that also.) I've got the ideas for the pictures now - so I spent time collecting the pictures that I'm going to need to do the actual drawings - now that I know what the drawings are going to depict. I've got the captions edited down too now. Now to decide where they're going to go in the context of the writing... Decided that I'd go with the 5/8 size for my book, even though this would require me to redesign...I'm still not settled on that. The 8 1/2 by 11" format would end up being a thinner book of only 100 pages or so. It's suitability would depend on how thick the cover was, and there is no way to know that before I get a copy. So am thinking about that.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

edurance in august

Postby Lynx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:57 am

Hey, Over the last months lots of things have been lost or let go. My partner lost her car keys this morning within moments of putting them (she thought) in her shirt pocket! I've lost a book and my I Ching beads. A friend at work lost his hat and a flash drive with critical minutes on them for work. Not to mention my mind ... Made a start to a catalog of types of loss
    Irreversible - people die, things fall down drains. stolen broken self-inflicted accidental misplaced moved too hard to see (where's Waldo?) chronic (continuing reminders and regrets, like parents with disable children who will never go off to college, get married, etc.) etc.
I'm also cranky because of the hassle of my dental appointments, giving up most sugar (some exceptions that I'm working to thin out). I am realizing that I'm limited in emotional expression and feeling. Looked up the Plutchik emotional wheel and will meditate on it every morning and work my way into more feelings. My project of learning the I Ching order progresses along nicely. Told I have another four months at my job and asked to look for new work to pay for it! A little concern because a co-worker is leaving at end of month. I had thought she'd work until she retired, but she said she will be looking for work. Not sure if there's a connection, but it leaves me a bit suspicious. Asking the I Ching for help with locating keys next, thanks for the reminder An8gel. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories