150 Steps for August '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for August '09

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 am

Hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 pm

August is moving right along---Finally got my resume retyped and have emailed it out to 2 places that have openings that I might be interested in. Both jobs sound a lot less stressful than my previous one. There is a job opening in the speciality I've most recently worked in but I didn't apply for that--told myself they didn't have the days I wanted--well that's only partially true--truth is I don't want that kind of hassle & stress anymore...maybe time to move on to another speciality in nursing. & work at starting my own business & going for a Master's degree---both which would be easier in a less stressful job. Will keep applying day by day. We had a tornado watch here this evening so we spent some time huddled in the basement. All is safe. Earlier got the book Julie & Julia. Saw the movie about a week ago & really liked it. Hope the book is as good. Also re-reading the book "The Millionaire Course" by Marc Allen. In as related theme--in another thread I noticed Barbara mentioned she's "working on a chapter"--does that mean there's another book in the works?? Gee--wish she could write them as fast as I can read them!! Still have some things left in boxes to unpack to 'move in'. Didn't someone recently say they dislike packing & unpacking...me too! Especially moving. What a chore. Got my little girl's school supplies all bought & labeled......so just because I have her name labeled on every single pencil (36 of them), every marker, every single crayon...does that make me a little 'anal'? She's going to public school this year & I'm worried about it. She has very little idea about possession, about what's hers, in the orphanage nothing was actually specifically 'hers', she owned nothing...that's why I put her name on everything so that when she sees it she'll be reminded "That's mine.". It is a challenge to raise her. We worked on simple 1 digit adding (a review) for the past few days (worksheets & more worksheets), I let her use a calculator hoping that by doing the same problems over and over she would remember it...but no...still even to add +1 to anything she has to count on her fingers. Will continue & try flash cards too (again). It's hard to think up ways to do the arithmetic review things (and help her) in fun ways without making it all feel like a chore or a punishment of some sort. She just simply doesn't seem to get it. I try not to get frustrated I know she's doing the best she can do. Poor kid. She's behind already in school (10 yrs old in 3rd grade--she 'should' be in 5th or 6th grade at 10---I was 12 when I graduated 8th grade, so was my older daughter). What can someone do with their life if they can't do even simple math?? Reading is a little better, but not much. We just keep working at it. Lynx--in your catalog on loss don't forget things like loss from death of loved one, loss from disasters, lifestyle changes etc...or are you just looking to list lost, as in types of lost objects? Strange, there's a difference between loss (usually involves some sort of grieving, and lost things. Well, I guess lost things also involves a kind of grief process. Grief has the stages first discussed by Elizabeth Kuhbler-Ross in her books. One of these days I'm going to look more into this Alexander technique. My 2 sewing projects are going ok..one is over half done & looks nice. the other is much more slow bit by bit. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:27 am

Sally you seem to be having a really busy times lately, in the basement too - my immediate thought was it reminded me of hiding in the basements for air raids. Too many war films lately. I shouldn't worry too much about your daughter I think as a mom it's easy to have an check list of everything imaginable. And what you worry the most is probably the last thing she will be concerned about. I started school not speaking the language and hadn't had any contact with children when I started. I have no memory of any difficulties apart from not being able to do handstands, swinging on bars etc as I'd never seen anything like that before and it didn't come naturally. As for being behind, it's not suprising from what you've told me about her previous life. It will take a lot of time. And don't worry at this stage about job prospects. When I think about all special needs children I know from my son's school that have left and taken up employment, well you have nothing to worry about. You just need to look laterally rather then the usual direction. And in your daughters case, that will all be years ahead yet. She will likely be a very different girl by then. Sally I read about your life on another thread. It seems unbelievable how so much sadness has happened to one person. Alexander Technique. A really interesting thing once happened. For as many years as I remember my neck and shoulders have been so tense that I couldn't have osteopathy as after a couple of sessions I was in more pain than ever. So I always was left with difficulty turning my head without awful creaking sounds. So one day I was at a conference for carers and there was an AT demonstration and I volunteered to be worked on as they wanted someone for the head and shoulders. I shut my eyes and the instructor was talking about turning the head side to side, up and down and I did it all WITHOUT EVEN REALISING I'D DONE IT!! It was a surreal experience as there wasn't the slightest bit of pain at all. I even thought he was joking when he said I had done it. :D I can occasionally do it like that at home, but most of the time it is stiff. But when it does happens, it feels like magic :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 am

Yes, hiding in the basement reminded me of the 'nuclear attack evacuation drills' we use to have as kids in grammar school...we'd all be filed out of the classrooms and hide in the school basement until 'all clear' (as if that would have done anyone any good in a nuclear attack---LOL!!) or it reminded me of the jews in WW2 that hid from the Germans....maybe I should keep a copy of the book "The Diary of Anne Frank" down there to read. We had no damage, but south of Chicago an apartment building was hit by lightning and set on fire..and part of the roof came off of another building. The laundry room is down there and a coat storage area..so we had plenty of stuff to keep us warm..it's a little chilly down there. Yes, I'm just an overly concerned mom venting my frustrations and fears. I have to keep reminding myself that she's learned soooo much since she came to the US in 2005....so she is an intelligent kid in many, many ways. It's also my own insecurities speaking....I want to be able to give her the best of everything....including abilities and opportunities. Sometimes I feel inadequate to that task. I don't have much, in the physical sense, right now to give her..no real fancy house...just a plain old one...no fancy designer clothes....just average ones..etc, etc....basically the abundant thing I have to give her at the moment is love, and she's already got my whole heart, but is that enough?? Yes, I use to notice when my migraines were most severe, that my entire back & neck would stiffen up, including one of my arms & I could barely move. It was as if things got froze in place & I couldn't release them...almost like a huge muscle spasm that would last for hours. Luckily, these days I rarely ever have a migraine, and then never as severe as then. 'Change of life' seemed to get rid of most of that. Hooray!!! sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 am

Sally you really are being hard on your self. Why would you think your love isn't enough? Going from an orphanage in Russia to you. Must be heaven for her.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8.23.09 oracular beginnings

Postby Lynx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:07 am

Hello, I took a long walk in my local park this morning. I had a new set of glass beads I use for casting the I Ching so that the probabilities match that of using the yarrow stalks method. This is new because I lost my other set by spacing out after sitting facing a lake and casting a hexagram after retrieving one of my I Ching books from a friend. Second time I've lost something after connecting with my I Ching friends. Hmm. Message there. So, on my way I find: water (1/3 filled larger water bottle), fire (lighter), air (tennis ball) and earth (silver ring!). Sit and cast my hexagram asking for help threading time to work on book into my life. First cast with the new set and I get five moving lines in a row out of six lines in all! And the resultant guidance (34 changing to 8) virtually stood up and shouted: MAKE it happen! The odds of getting five moving lines are: 1/4 to the fifth power or slightly less than one in a thousand. The odds of getting that last one, too, is about once in 4100 tries. Time to make something happen. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am

Hi everyone: Lynx: congratulations on getting lines that made you happy.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

8.24.09 upd8

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Para, congrats on plugging along toward better health and well being despite it all. Victor Frankl wrote say Yes to Life despite it all. I amend that to Shout YES! to life despite it all. Basic steps today: Kept a very small list: getting a computer tech hired for some updating and networking work, calling about getting our printer to work, moving right along with work work, continuing to memorize the I Ching sequence. Began the introduction to my book, for the second or third time. L
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 am

Thanks Lynx:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:55 pm

August is almost over---I am still working on my list of things I want to do---I seem to keep getting interrupted--just like today went--I was fighting the 'flea invasion'--my daughter found a flea on her cat and a scratch that looks like the cat tried to scratch her neck with her back paw and got too aggressive (declawed on her front paws)--so my daughter was convinced that the entire house if infested with fleas--at least she thinks the bed she & husb. sleeps in was---so both cats got flea baths & treated--both dogs got flea baths & treated---everything imaginable was washed in totally hot water---interior of house scrubbed--laundry took all day--after doing their cats they went to work--me home to take care of rest--and watch & feed hungry, attention wanting baby too--I was running around like a wild woman trying to get it all done--partially burnt the lunch--ate it anyway--it was still good....tomorrow will be another day---hopefully flea-less....if it doesn't rain again I'll treat the yard too. Sometimes that's the best way to look at life--tomorrow is another day--start over and see how far you can get each day...one day at a time. I thought about Viktor Frankl when I watched the movie "Boy in the Striped Pjamas". The normal reaction is to be agast at what happened to the little German boy.....but then again, weren't all of them with him in the chamber also 'boys' in striped pjamas? And shouldn't the 'normal' reaction be to be agast at all of it instead of just what happened to the little boy? I agree with Vicktor Frankl. say YES to life whatever the circumstances. I found some photos of the hotel I stayed at while in Moscow at a site on line. This hotel, although older, was a fabulous place..just about the largest in Europe, 21 floors, 3200 rooms. I printed out the photos because the hotel no longer exists..it was demolished in mid-to late 2006 (I was there in 2005)..it was right in central Moscow..I could see St. Basil's cathedral from the window..and Red Square was right there too..across the courtyard and across the street. I think the roof scene in the movie "Get Smart" was filmed atop this hotel..they had huge letters up there, and we had heard rumors there was going to be part of a movie filmed during the demolition, too bad they never showed a shot of what the hotel really looked like. Maybe someday I'll go back for the 'tourist version' of Russia. (way of in the future). PLG....great job on quitting smoking...save up the money you would have spent on cigarettes and DO get yourself that massage!! A reward for doing so well. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:45 am

Sally, you are right about August, can't believe it's nearly gone. Weather here has been awful so it didn't feel as though there was a summer. All I seemed to do this month is pick fruit and freeze it, and like you and fleas I've been on 'moth alert' as they have swamped my home last year and still after sprays etc find themselves everywhere. I have tissues all round the house so I can grab them whenever I spot them. That must have been nice for you to find the photos of the hotel. You're right about the single individuals that have been written about or in films, versus everyone that was involved in the war and the experience as a whole. Hi to PLG and Lynx, you two have some things in common it seems. An&el- how's your book going? Jeannette - how did you manage this month (hugs) - any more painting? Mannix - how are you. Wondering what your round-up post will be about.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 am

I was looking back to the first post--the challenge post--it says to take a few little steps forward---and in thinking about it I guess I've done that---a few little steps forward--then a few steps off to the right--a few more steps forward--then a few steps off to the left--a couple more steps forward--then a few off to the right again--I guess it's been kinda a winding road this month--but my general direction is forward (either it's been a winding road or I'm walkin' like a drunk!! LOL!!) sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Lynx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:50 am

Yikes! The month is nearly over. Still going strong on avoiding sugar (with a lot of wistful cursing). Had dinner with a friend who cut it out herself. Funny deal in a vegetarian restaurant as she tried to get a sauce without sugar. The rest. had already prepared their sauces and so couldn't leave the sugar out. She asked for just soy sauce as the sauce, and the staff kept reminding her that she was eating a dish 'off label' and not hold them fully responsible for its taste (it's changing the dish you know ... ). One more visit to the dentist on Monday and that ordeal will be complete. Really, it comes down to wishing I wasn't so prone to intense dental experiences and the associate bills. To avoid more I avoid sugar. Stay teeth! Getting to my book in little sips or bites everyday. Everyday is key, as is the decision that I would not try to sort out what I've already done but just begin at the beginning and write everything new. If something I've done comes in handy use it when its time comes. September looks to be very hopeful. I'm signing up for a body as oracle (intuition) workshop. My first non professional development workshop in a long time due to my finding most of them too tame for my tastes. Found: two of my own lost items: the poetry book and I Ching glass beads. Found: a silver ring. Posted it on craigslist. I guess I should walk around to the local cafe to see if someone posted a notice there. Today: long social event with travel to be with friends for dinner. Some free cycling stuff, pay bills, book, of course, and call it a day. L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:36 am

Hi, everybody, Sally, good luck to your daughter as she begins public school. Maybe she will find a connection with her school math teacher, and the information you've given her will make sense! :) Para, hope you can find the funds for your next massage. Sounds like it's time to leave ol' Fred A. in the dust. Unity, on the Alexander Technique, I have a book where the author describes having a lesson with a master teacher, and then feeling like she had no body at all! As you learn to shed deeper levels of chronic muscle tension, your brain experiences the absence of messages it was used to receiving from the tense muscles. So I suppose it can feel like you’re just a floating consciousness! (I haven’t attained this level of mastery yet.) As for monthly round-up … oh, boy. I’m afraid to look back, but I will. One thing I’d like to do for September is get back to posting here more regularly. Is everyone on board with continuing for September? Seems like our numbers are down. Or would we prefer to work with the monthly challenges? Lynx, good luck with your teeth. Is it your teeth, or your gums that are the source of your trouble? My gums seem to be deteriorating no matter what I do. For my mostly good health, they are probably in the worst shape. Hope doing without sugar is getting easier for you. Round-up comments to follow, --Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 am

OK, August round-up. From my first post of this month:
Mannix wrote: Steps, immediate picture: -- Make choices that honor who I am.
I think I'm doing this, but now wondering if I'm choosing to withdraw from some things that might be interesting, but could expose me to conflict with others, etc. Perhaps I should think about alternatives other than my immediate reaction to a proposal.
Mannix wrote: -- Attend one session of the Washington Redskins open training camp, taking place this week.
I went! If anyone's interested, here's a link to the pictures I took: http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... ng%20Camp/
Mannix wrote: -- Make a decision about going to the beach this month with my family.
Decided to go and took my nephew with me. I went back and forth on this one, but decided to take him because I'd like to have a relationship with the youngest members of my family, and that saying "no" could be a way to shield myself from perceived conflict. He turned out to be a really good travelling companion - didn't fuss once! I still have issues with family requests, etc., but now I have some new information to work with, at least in this area.
Mannix wrote: -- Spend 20 minutes on a personal interest (coming up with a new blog topic, signing up for classes, etc.).
Gotten away from this one since I got home from the beach. Hoping to pick it back up as I get caught up.
Mannix wrote: Obstacle: As soon as I plan to do one of these activities, resistance hits big-time! Even for something as simple as going to the training camp, which is no commitment at all!
Yup, still an issue. I put off going to the training camp twice! But I did it.
Mannix wrote: Today, my Alexander teacher said he felt I had the strength of character to work with him on physically releasing anger/rage I'm feeling concerning past wrongs in childhood, etc.
Holding off on this one for now. Although I had trouble sleeping again tonight so these demons are still around. Hope everyone enjoys their final August day. I can't believe it's here, either! At least August has 31 days! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories