150 Steps for August '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for August '09

Postby Unity » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:52 pm

Mannix, those pictures are good. It must have been exciting to watch. Thanks for your explanation about AT. I'll have to join you in September on the goal of time spent on a personal interest. I'm spending too much of my day on timewasting activities (trying to combat the computer addiction on the personal challenges thread) and I never seem to find time to do what I really want as I'm left with mountains of chores. Glad you enjoyed the vacation with your nephew.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:15 pm

PLG, what a price for a tooth - you could have bought a boat with that amount :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Count me in, please. I haven't gotten through very many posts to see who has done what... got caught up in the Redskins. I think some of the lower numbers may have been something as simple as the sun came out again at the end of July! We all crammed summer in. I conquered a bunch of my August demons and feel happy that September is tomorrow. I have no idea what steps I had in mind for the beginning of the month and have decided simply to be glad that I tackled what was hard for me. I managed to keep writing -- privately, rather than publicly--working for actual money... ALTHOUGH, that one tooth would have wiped out half a month's work for me. sigh. Wow paralegal... And, as some of you know, I focused more on my painting. My COUNSELOR wants to buy one of my paintings for $600!!! I'm not selling it yet. I want to have completed five pieces I really love before I part with any. This one is a memory of being on my father's shoulders in early June, looking down onto Lake Winnipesaukee from the top of Governor's Island. He'd kidnapped me from school because I had nearly died in the winter, from kidney failure after the measles. He took me with him to open up my grandparents' cottage.... Never mind. The step there? Recognizing that it was an accomplishment to create a painting that evoked a visceral response in someone who did NOT know the backstory. It made her tear up because she remembered how her mom loved the springtime. Why five paintings? No real reason except that I want to feel as if I have a body of work, that I am preparing for an exhibit. I have some tangible goals all set. It's good to be back in here... I think one of my goals will be to write shorter and LESS in here... "listen" more, as it were.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi, everyone, OK, done. I'll set up the September 150 steps shortly. PLG, I'm so sorry about your tooth. That cost is outrageous! And just when you seemed to be coming into some money. I wish I could tell you some way you could get your dental work done more cost effectively but I don't think there is one. My husband has to get another root canal and crown, so we'll be in for a big dental bill soon, too. :( Unity, thanks for the comments re my Redskins pictures. My little camera is great -it makes it seem like I was in the middle of the game, even though I was considerably further away. When I was little, I used to imagine myself playing in the NFL and running in for a touchdown! After seeing those huge men, I realize how short my life would have been! Jeanette, what a marvelous achievement to communicate such emotion through your artwork! I'm glad you were able to survive those childhood health issues. What a great story - how your relationship with your father was changed when he thought he might lose you and you lived! My goal for September is opposite yours - to post here more frequently! But also to do better keeping up with what others are doing. :) Wow, I can't believe there's less than 2 hours left in August. Even the weather has cooled off here, in anticipation of September. See you all on the 9/09 thread! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

august recap

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi Mannix, the issue is I'm tired of not getting a clear check-up. Every time there's x-rays there's more damage to repair. I am brushing, flossing, etc. so sugar is a symbol and reality of taking back some semblance of competitiveness with this thing. I'm not ever sure it will get easier as I really don't want to do it, love sugar, live with someone who still eats it (she sat dismally across from me one morning without ice cream on something for breakfast, in support?!) and then the holiday season coming up. I thought one exception would be homemade treats but at a recent dinner party I skipped dessert and it wasn't so bad. See you in the Sept thread. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories