150 Steps for September '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps for September '09

Postby Mannix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 pm

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

New Month

Postby Lynx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey steppers, This month: getting our G4 Mac Tower and monitor shipped to my brother. Good thing we got comfortable with hand-me-downs as kids, huh? Quietly working on the book, about 10 - 15 minutes a day. Continue with that. Attend Body and Oracle workshop and perhaps meet my mutual muse. Make it to two months (9/25) off sugar. (Today was the last day of my month long ordeal. I'm on soft foods all night ... man am I motivated just now!) Play some bridge. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for September '09

Postby Unity » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:00 am

Hello Friends, My 150 steps this month are going to be about spending time on a personal interest which in this case is the special occasions side of the Houseworks Plan - link below. http://organizedchristmas.com/housework ... nning-week I probably won't go into details when I do it, it's more a case of allocating time and keeping it free for this. As I'm also starting a new personal challenge for Autumn (keep computer time to a minimum) so I'm going to update progress here in the morning, and only read the rest of the posts and reply in the evenings. As prompted by a goal of Mannix's in August (spend time on a personal interest) I want to make sure I remember to do this.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi everyone: Thanks Mannix for putting this up. I'm going to post everything here rather than the monthly challenges.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi, everybody, Well, since I inspired Unity with the goal of spending time on a personal interest, I'd better do it myself this month! :) So perhaps my first step shall be to decide which personal interest I'd like to "sip" this month. Maybe my plan can be to follow through on wherever it takes me throughout the month and see where I am on 9/30/09. The other thing I'd like to do is sketch out a rough plan to accomplish several long-standing projects one at a time. House projects, finances, income streams, etc. So I need a specific goal here and also for my personal interest. Lynx, hope you're feeling better after your dental work. Here's to playing bridge and not needing one! :) PLG, good luck with your new dance instructor. Although I have to tell you that, when I read your post, I felt like a red warning flag was waving in the distance. I hope I'm wrong. Hope you enjoy your birthday! OK, off to a late dinner. I'll check in again later. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

playing not needing bridge

Postby Lynx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks for the pun, Mannix. PLG: It's not like a life makeover, it IS one. Unity: There's a deep joy of gift giving that runs through your veins. Maybe there's something there as a coach or consultant to people needing to find, design, create that special gift? Myself, wrote today and yesterday. Just sips. Ah. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 am

Got out of the habit of posting every day in August, because it seems like I was hogging the thread. The I forgot and got stopped in my tracks by not being able to sublet my place. I'm still treading water there... OK - my objectives this month are: sublet my place, get to CA and get myself together enough to clear out my junk and get rid of the trash I left there... Simple enough! Well, already complicated... Will tell all as I progress...
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi all, Thank Lynx for the comment about special occasions. I think I'd have to dramatically change my lifestyle in order to set something like that up. I get very distracted all the time with stuff that isn't important at all. At the moment I'm once again getting a 'folder dissatisfaction alert'.This must be about my 5th folder so far and it just feels wrong. I wonder if it's just the sensible side of me saying that I don't need this complicated plan at all as there are a lot of very important issues I ought to be dealing with and I'm just pretending they will go away :? Re sugar - I stopped sugar for a long time because someone suggested to me that it could be a cause for strange sensations I used to get in my mouth and throat, like very bad hayfever (nothing to do with dental work) It did work and I felt much better. I ought to stop it again as I'm back to the strange mouth again. Good luck with being sugar-free. And hope you meet your muse. PLG - you're doing some lovely knitting again. I bet it all looks gorgeous and you put so much time and trouble into it too. Hi An&el, glad you are onboard. Mannix - how are you doing? Have you made a decision about an interest yet?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi everyone: Thank you so much for reading my posts.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 am

Hi, everyone, Looks like small but consistent steps will be the overall theme for my September. And being on the lookout for those waves of fear and anxiety. One thing I want to do is spend a little more daily time practicing and progressing in my study of the Alexander Technique. (Hi, An8el! :) ) I see now that it's more important to take time for it when things get busy. Anyway, I've picked 2 interests I'd like to pursue on a more regular basis. They're things I've done in the past, but then gotten away from them. 1. Resurrect blogging and combine that with my love of scanning old newspapers and looking at houses. 2. Travel planning - including participating in online travel communities like TripAdvisor and posting some of my better pictures. To better keep on track, I've been scheduling 30 minutes on my daily calendar for following up on what I post here, and then some evening time to report back. Next steps: -- Set up a rough plan for some larger projects I need to do - which I'm going to do first, which next and when, etc. (Different from interests mentioned above.) -- Download pictures I took on my last trip to the Outer Banks. -- Post the best pictures on TripAdvisor forums related to the Outer Banks. -- Spend 15-20 minutes exploring the TripAdvisor forums and photo galleries, looking at what other people did. Possibilities for places I could visit in eastern West Virginia, where I usually wander after my weekly visit to the horse farm. Comments on others' posts to follow. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:58 am

Hello again, PLG, I hope things go well with your new dance instructor. The reason I was concerned was I thought it was someone from FADS, but glad to hear that's not a problem. And glad you enjoyed your shopping trip. I find it's often more relaxing to go somewhere your daily routine wouldn't normally take you, even if it's just a shopping center off your own beaten path. Hope it can serve as an inexpensive oasis for you! Unity, your "strange mouth" story made me think about my strange itchy throat symptoms that are still hanging on. I'm going to try taking a couple things out of my diet that I've been eating every day and see if that affects my throat ... and I believe both have a fair amount of sugar in them! (This might be a good topic for the fitness thread.) And good luck with your "folder dissatisfaction." I think you may be right on track about using complicated systems to distract you from important (but difficult?) issues. It might be interesting to see how your attitude towards the folders is changed if you can take a small step toward resolving one of the big issues. An8el, good luck with your move to California. Temporary, I assume? Have a great day, everyone! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Mannix:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:35 pm

PLG, hope you'll be able to go to the baby's party! Got my beach pix downloaded this morning. I was a little disappointed with the way they looked on my computer - I thought some of them had turned out better when I was looking at them on the camera. I'll go through them again and pick out the best ones for posting online. Also thought about those big projects I mentioned earlier. I chose preparing the house for new floors and even made a flow chart for it. But then I had to take my husband to a root canal appointment this afternoon and the cost of the visit was more than $1000. And we only have $350 left of dental insurance coverage for the year. Plus my husband has still has to go for a follow-up procedure on the affected tooth ... as soon as possible, per the root-canal dentist. :? So now I'm thinking increasing our income to pay for this, as well as home improvements, has to be factored in at a much higher priority. Tomorrow is my day to visit the horse farm. The weather is supposed to be much nicer than it was last week, so I'm looking forward to taking a drive. If I don't get on line tomorrow, will check in over the weekend. Hope everybody's good, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi: Thanks Mannix. Have a good Labor Day weekend all. PLG
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:39 am

It is really September!! Goals for September?? I have planned out some learning activities for my daughter related to school...Math..to help her review and re-learn adding, subtracting, money and time. Part of her Fetal Alcohol related problems are that she has poor short term memory and poor ability for abstract concepts like math, money & time. All literature I have found suggests review, review, review some more. So that's the plan. Also am going to try DHA dietary supplements..it's suppose to help brain growth and development. There is a special after school drawing class too, there web site states it helps in developing the brain's ability to understand abstract concepts...and she likes to draw. So a big part of September is helping her with school concepts and her reading too. Then there's some fun stuff...October will bring Halloween, a favorite holiday around here...and my older daughter asked me to decorate the front of the house...will be doing an outdoor scene that I did when she was a kid...the girls will help...a giant spider web (out of clothesline) and a giant spider..paper mache around an inflated balloon..attach ping pong balls for eyes, affix some "legs"..and hang it on the big web...one year we also did a tape recording of scary sounds & played it outside on Halloween. Also will decorate some pumpkins with the kids & make some costumes...all lots of fun. September is the trime to start working on all this so it will be ready for Oct. Personal things...get my phone number changed & a new phone...continue looking for a job...have a couple leads...apply to school??? Continue to clear up some of my 'Florida-stuff'. I have been so disheartened by the whoild Florida/Hurricane experience that it's hard to work on that. Take a walk almost every day....easy...I walk my daughter to school almost every day...I'd like to take up jogging...not so easy...right now I can only run about 15 steps then have to walk again....but I know if I do it consistently I can gradually build up to something more. (I use to walk about 6 miles 3x a week & when I first started was only able to go about 1/2 a block). Still sewing...decided I didn't like the sweater I was making (I was about 90% done)...so I'm ripping it out and starting over..adjusting the pattern a bit...this time it looks much better. I guess it's like life...some times you just have to start over, and adjust what you're doing to make something better. I see everyone is already working at their goals...good luck to us all. Yes, I am thinking about Christmas too...I want to make some ornaments....sew some, paint some..the kids can help. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories