150 Steps for September '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for September '09

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:22 am

Hey Ansel: What if we had unlimited time and financial resources.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi, everyone, I'm feeling a little discouraged this evening. I'm falling back into the old pattern of giving up in the evening and starting all over again in the morning. Was discouraged by a student who'd been working on fairly advanced material. Then today, discovered he does not understand how to play a major scale! :bash: I'm also feeling anxious about our pending home reflooring project, which seems to be dragging on forever. We are calling contractors to get estimates on reinstalling and painting baseboards before the new floors are installed. I've already got one estimate and I told the person we had some more people to see and would get back to him this week. Since then, he has called my cellphone every single day! :evil: I'm considering rejecting his proposal just on that basis. It's really irritating. Then I was talking with my husband about exactly what we want done and it turned out we were on different pages in that matter. Ugh! Hoping this discouragement is a temporary set-back and I can bounce back tomorrow. No gigs or lessons on Wednesday. PLG, thanks for the feedback on performing on cruise ships. Interesting information, and I like your idea about not thinking of an either/or situation. I guess I'm still processing my reaction to the situation. Were you able to get your mother's pillow repaired? Hope you're doing okay while your father and stepmother are away. An8el, are you enjoying having a slave? :) What did you decide to do about the laptop? Have you thought about the hassles of getting it through airport security? I think they require you to take it out and turn it on. I think I'll head up to bed, though I'm not too optimistic about sleeping. Have a good night, all, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:39 am

I love it! I'm so busy that I don't even have time to brag about what I'm doing! ....more later, once I'm in California.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:03 am

Hi, An8el! I'm waving at you as you leave for your California trip. OK, as usual, got out of bed later than I'd planned. But I'm awake now, ready to begin again. Here goes ...
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 am

An8el: Bon Voyage! What a life she lives. Mannix: Hope you're day is going well.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 am

[Waving back!] Here I go....! (True to form, I pulled an all nighter.. Jeez, hope I don't get too old to do that one of these days.) OK, time to fly... Flap, flap, flap, flap....
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Bye An8el. Bon Voyage! See you here in America.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi, everybody, As seems to happen every month, something has triggered my fear responses and I seem to be slipping back into older habits and general resistance. I guess it's progress that I've noticed it this time. Possible culprits: the pending home-improvement project (what if it's done and we don't like it???), my mother-in-law called last night to say my father-in-law is not doing very well (taking chemo for cancer and now having complicating infections), what if I don't perform well at my gigs this weekend? I can think of more but this paragraph will go on and on .... Think I'll take a deep breath and take the evening off. But first, call my in-laws and see how the doctor's appointment went. PLG, glad your dancing is going so well. I see you sitting in a law library with your hair tied up wearing thick glasses. And then this suave Latin gentleman sweeps in and takes you away. You undo your hair, cast off the glasses, and salsa your way to Happily Ever After! :) An8el, good for you that you can do those all-nighters. Good luck on your travels! Hope all is well with everybody, Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:55 am

I was laughing out loud drawing attention to myself.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi, PLG, Glad I was able to give you a good laugh. I think "resistance" probably means something a little different to everyone on the board, and I'm sure you've experienced it yourself. I can give you an example of mine - Recently, I've been thinking about joining a Scottish fiddle club. I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, but I don't because the following voices immediately pop into my head: "You don't have time to take on something like that. There's too much work to do on the house." "You don't really want to be a Scottish fiddle player. That's not the big goal for your life." The cycle I was talking about starts with a thought like joining the club, then thinking that's not my big goal, then thinking "I need to sit down and write out my big goal." And ... bingo! I'm safely tucked in a comfy chair writing down notes about my big goal, which I now know I've been doing for years. So resistance keeps me away from, among other things, interacting with new people and any potential conflicts that might result. Talked to another violinist on a gig today and he seemed surprised I wasn't going to be part of this 3-month cruise ship gig. He's also married and he said his wife is OK with him doing it. He also said it's something he's wanted to do for years. In view of what I've just written, I wonder if my decision not to do it is a mistake. On the other hand, it's not something I've ever wanted to do. Those are my weekend ruminations. Hope everyone is well, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spiegel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:41 am

Haven't been on here for a while, been fairly busy with work and ballet classes (stress relief!), and very slowly recovering from spraining the same ankle twice (rolling over en pointe), and some other stuff I won't go into... but I'm happy to report, I've just gotten back from a weekend retreat for adult piano students :) I'm still reeling a bit from the amount of information and corrections I've gotten in my small group lessons and what was pretty much my first piano lesson in nearly 14 years, but I survived and am going to go practise a bit more. And fingers crossed, I might even take on a piano teacher sometime soon...
spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:50 am

Hi everyone, Spiegel, welcome back. That sounds like a big achievement for you. Glad you are recovering from your injuries, how unlucky to have the same problem twice. Mannix, even though the cruise ship could be a good adventure, I wonder if it could also have a claustrophic effect. Think of Big Brother. Would you want to be with the same people all the time, and on a boat so you couldn't just go for a walk in the countryside until you were docked. Would you be fit enough for all that performing? Think of all that lovely food on tap 24/7. Also, there are other temptations :D Resistance and the fiddle club - would you join if someone offered you a reward for doing it? I often think that my lack of commitment for goals I set myself is because the end result isn't strong or exciting enough to put myself out. So to go the the club - what would that entail? Getting off the comfortable couch, possibly getting changed, feeling confident to meet strangers and about your musical ability, going out of the house on a possible wet and cold day etc etc. Before long, you have talked yourself out of even trying. But what if someone offered you a lot of money (or other reward) to go - would you do it without any hesitation I wonder?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi, everyone, Speigel, welcome back! Sorry to hear about your injury; I hope it doesn't take you away from ballet completely. I think I remember you talking about studying piano before. I'm curious to know what your touchstones are for ballet and piano? (In other words, what do you love most about them.) Unity, on the cruise-ship job, I think I'm second-guessing myself because I've come to see I often make decisions to avoid scary situations and/or people. I think you're right about the claustrophobic angle. My husband and I were talking about it at breakfast today. Cruise ship performers do not get to freely roam the ship and mingle with the guests - I assume they have to stay in certain areas. I think my friend said they would be doing 5 shows per day. And I would be trapped in a full-time "musician" role, and I find that prospect suffocating. And there's the physical limitations of being stuck on a ship continuously for three months. So I think I'm making the right decision for me on this. Unity, on going to the fiddle club, I'm trying to imagine a long-lost relative has just offered to pay me one million dollars to join and I don't feel any different about it. I think my biggest "fear" in joining is that I will be pressured to get involved in all kinds of other fiddle activities and, before I know it, I don't have any free time to myself. On the other hand, there is no obligation to attend every club meeting, and I do have the right to say "no." I've been a complete sloth today and I was going to think about this week's steps tonight. But I'm still in that sloth-like mood, so maybe I'll do that tomorrow morning. Have a good evening, all, -- Mannx
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spiegel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:56 am

Mannix, interesting question. I think it's just the physical *doing* that I love (drawing, ballet, piano playing). There are all sorts of lovely things like using my hands, getting away from computers, "flow", making pretty sounds and shapes, etc etc, but I wouldn't get the same pleasure out of, say, making a dress or cooking a good meal. Hmm...do cruise ship performers get to disembark when the ship docks and all the guests go on day tours? Just a thought :mrgreen:
spiegel
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 am

Mannix wrote:Hi, PLG, Glad I was able to give you a good laugh. I think "resistance" probably means something a little different to everyone on the board, and I'm sure you've experienced it yourself. I can give you an example of mine - Recently, I've been thinking about joining a Scottish fiddle club. I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, but I don't because the following voices immediately pop into my head: "You don't have time to take on something like that. There's too much work to do on the house." "You don't really want to be a Scottish fiddle player. That's not the big goal for your life." The cycle I was talking about starts with a thought like joining the club, then thinking that's not my big goal, then thinking "I need to sit down and write out my big goal." And ... bingo! I'm safely tucked in a comfy chair writing down notes about my big goal, which I now know I've been doing for years. So resistance keeps me away from, among other things, interacting with new people and any potential conflicts that might result. Talked to another violinist on a gig today and he seemed surprised I wasn't going to be part of this 3-month cruise ship gig. He's also married and he said his wife is OK with him doing it. He also said it's something he's wanted to do for years. In view of what I've just written, I wonder if my decision not to do it is a mistake. On the other hand, it's not something I've ever wanted to do. Those are my weekend ruminations. Hope everyone is well, -- Mannix
Hi:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories