Career Change

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Career Change

Postby Serendipity » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:39 am

I got called into my bosses office on Monday to find out that I've been downsized. They really liked me but they couldn't afford to keep me anymore. So, why is this under success stories? I totally and completely hated my job. I hated the industry that I worked in. It was making me sick. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and chest pains. I was depressed and cried more than I should. I worked long hours and ate a lot of junk food because I was stressed. I gained thirty pounds in the year and a half that I was employed there. I was so stressed at the end of the day that it was hard to do anything else. Everyone knew that I was in the wrong kind of job for me. Since I got laid off, I have been feeling great. I've been excercising and eating better. I've learned two new computer programs since Monday and I'm working on another. My chest pains are gone and I feel relaxed. I cleaned my house and organized everything. I've also been doing a lot of writing. My friends say that I'm a lot happier and more like my old self. I didn't have the nerve to quit that awful job even though it was killing me. I know the economy sucks but I don't feel terrified. I will find a another job that better uses my talents and interests. I may not make as much money but I will be happier.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams". Eleanor Roosevelt
Serendipity
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Career Change

Postby Tituba » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:47 am

"It's a new day, it's a new dawn, and I'm feeling good"- Nina Simone Excellent news!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby educguess » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 am

My motto has been I was looking for a job/ opportunity when I got this one. Your talents, skills, and passions will open doors that you did not even see while working - Go for the Gold!!
[color=#4000BF]"How To" LIfe Consultants, LLC " Personal Development for Mult-talented Individuals" http://www.HowToInLife.com [/color]
educguess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JeannetteLS » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 pm

And it would seem to me that "serendipity" is the best name for you! Your entry brought tears to my eyes ... in a good way. My guess is you'll be letting us know about this leg of your journey. Congratulations. How wonderful that you have a place to be able to tell your story and know that people will support your attitude 100%! Enjoy this beautiful weekend.
JeannetteLS
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 am

Serendipity... First off, a massive congratulations on your change in circumstances and your happiness about it. Second, a question: do you have savings to tide you through this period? The reason I ask is that I'm about to be in the same situation as you are... however, I quit my job (though it took me 7 months to get up the nerve, and I've been working in this field (and hating it) for almost 10 years). My last day is Sept. 12th. Finances are going to be hugely stressful for me. I was wondering if you have any advice. I'm thinking that you either have savings, or you're saying something to yourself that is alleviating the stress. I won't be insulted if the question is too personal to answer. I'm just envious of your new attitude, and if I can get some of it for myself through imitating your massive success... well, that would be fabulous. Best of luck in your new endeavors. I know that you will find something that you love.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Congratulations...on your happier life...your situation sounds soo familiar to me...in fact almost exactly the way I felt at the job I lost in Feb this year...I had gone from a size 10 to size 18 in the 3 1/2 short years I worked there, developed high blood pressure, many other symptoms of stress..like awakening in the middle of the night with nightmares, short of breath and unable to go back to sleep again, etc, etc, etc.....shocking to me I got 'let go' in a very unfriendly way by a supervisor of my supervisor that had no idea what my job entailed...I was glad to see that job go...I know I would have never quit (I am extremely stubborn at times...reluctant to give up) unless they'd let me go, so it was for the best. My life has completely turned aground since then....moved, new state, closer to family, in a little town that I'm growing to love, and am much happier, despite the fact that I don't have a job at the moment. The financial part has not been easy...but I know that somehow things will be better and better every day. Good luck to you too....even if there are rough spots along the path everything will work out for the best....have faith. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Success Stories