150 Steps for October '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for October '09

Postby Mannix » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 am

Hi, everyone, Back for a few posts here at the end of the month. Although things haven't changed much on the outside, I felt a significant internal change over the weeks I was away. It involved a motivation to accomplish tasks and meet goals. The change itself is still a work in progress - I don't expect to never have days when I don't feel like doing anything. But I have a gut feeling that I'm on my way toward something new. I think continued work with the Alexander Technique will gradually tease it out. Meanwhile, I want to start organizing goalwork into 3 categories: "Go out and see": research to see what's available, "action": jumping in to whatever I'm interested in, and "clear the decks": making our house free of clutter. Already made some strides on this last one! Hope to start catching up reading others' posts this week. Meantime, hope everyone is well and moving toward dreams! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Giveaway to Clear the Decks

Postby Lynx » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks PLG and Sally for the comments on my giveaways. Actually, I'm more clearing the decks like Mannix (Hi!). I think if I can stay with the process I'll keep finding stuff that is less important to keep than something else. PLG, I understand about letting something go then wanting it back. I had the complete set of 5 Grooks poetry books by Piet Hein (there's a very interesting story behind them that I didn't know at the time. I just liked them. Learn what I know now from internet searches.). During a de-cluttering sweep my partner asked "if I still needed them?" I said no, then after they'd been sold or exchanged realized my mistake. Never been able to re-make the set and have given up the quest after buying the complete set in two bound volumes reprint for 2 or 3 times what I'd paid. Lesson one: when someone is asking about my stuff and I'm distracted, tell them to put it in a basket and I'll get to it later. Lesson two: remember lesson one. Lynx
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:38 am

Mannix: That's wonderful that you feel like you're getting motivated. I want to say for the record that I've seen too many people get bogged down in the clearing clutter step. That's a good idea don't get me wrong, but I think it's an easy step unless you have a problem with hoarding. I've been getting rid of a whole lot of stuff because I had the money to go out and buy new stuff. It was great, but I needed so much after awhile I got sick of shopping.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi, everyone. Hi, Lynx! Sorry you lost the poetry books. Isn't it frustrating when a life's lesson is paid for by something you can't ever get back? PLG, yeah, I can see where it would be easy to avoid taking difficult steps by constantly working on one's house. But our house is really cluttered, and it's holding us back from making needed improvements. I'll probably have to do the decluttering and other projects simultaneously. I'm glad you're in such a positive period with your life! Would you say it coincided with joining FADS? Or a convergence of many things? Anyway, hope it continues for you. Seems like my involvement in gigs will continue to increase, at least through the middle of next month. I have two big jobs next week, one smaller one tomorrow. Last night I found out I need a more formal dress for a job in Washington, D.C. next week, so today I reshuffled my plans so I could go dress shopping. Still need to get shoes, etc. (How girly! :wink: ) And I suddenly have a lot of new music to learn per a client request the following week. Neither of these are life-altering catastrophes, but the difference is I'm doing much better at accepting change. Not long ago, having to do something that wasn't on my daily task list would have ruined my day! So I think I'm on the way to something bigger ... Not much else done today. Having said all that, I'll try making a plan for tomorrow. Have a good evening, everyone, Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 am

Good job Mannix:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 am

Hi all I haven't posted for a while posting although I've been reading. Mannix, glad you are back and feeling more focused. What was your formal outfit like - black? Well done Sally on your news :D Re giving things away and then wanting them back. I've lost count the number of times I've bought then given away and re-bought a book by Julia Cameron - 'Vein of Gold'. The Artists Way was also bought about 2 times as well. Also - Mary Steward 'Thornyhold' is on my list of buying then losing. A competition win of a rare book about Sherlock Holmes, I have no idea why I got rid of that. Now I regret it. Book I lament the most as I've never seen it since is a book for children/teens called the Bounty Book of Projects. I had a copy in my early 20's which I lost. Then bought one in my early 30's and later gave away. I've been wanting another copy for years. PLG your comment about coats. I always wear identical coats. When my previous one had an accident in the wash, I was feeling desperate. Less than a week later I found the same one in a second hand shop, but it was in perfect condition. Now this one is getting a bit grubby and I tried washing the collar by hand - big mistake!!! so I'm on the lookout for another identical one. I think it's because it's so versatile and I feel comfortable in it. PLG - that must have been an unusual sight for you - father and children in their nightwear in the lobby of the hotel.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:33 am

Mannix, that sounds like an interesting way to sort things. Clearing the clutter is hard..it does seem to clone itself. I have more of a problem with putting a favorite thing away in a 'special' place than never being able to find it again. I've lost many treasured items by hiding them from myself. Thank you all for your congratulations on the job. I'm looking forward to it. It starts om Jan.Nut I still have to look for another part-time job for, at least, two more days a week. I need to be able to pay the bills. My older daughter came up with a positive home pregnancy test yesterday, she went for a blood test at the Dr. & gets results on Tues...so it looks like baby #2 is on the way....an OOps!!! Baby...bad timing....they're dependent on me to pay most of the bills....she's not working right now & hubby works a low paying job....can I say "I told you so" about this one....told her when she was in HS and started college to get serious about school & look for a career path....she fooled around at school then quit....(her hubby followed that same path)....now they both are finding out that life can be hard without an education. She'd been planning to go back to school & has signed up for some classes...but if this pregnancy is like the last one she'll be very sick all the time...don't know if she will be able to get through school....Oh, well...one day at a time..... People are doing all sorts of things to try to survive these days....the other day my little girl was out in front of the house playing at raking the leaves..she came in calling me "Mommy there's a man in front & he wants to talk to you". Turns out was a man that lived a couple blocks away, he was maybe in his late 20's or early 30's...going around house to house asking if he could rake the leaves for cash. Said he'd been out of work for months and his unemployment had run out. Times are really getting tough!!! Speaking of shopping. I realized the sweater I'd worn at my job interview was one my friend in Florida & I had got for $1.00 at the Goodwill...she's an avid "Goodwiller". There are huge Goodwill stores down there and mommy groups shop there now and again...she took me along on one of her shopping trips & I bought that gorgeous sweater. There's a huge Goodwill near the grocery store I shop at. So yesterday I went in to brouse...the parking lot was packed with cars...I found nice jeans for $6.00...gorgeous sweaters for $4.99 (Many were designer labels). So I went on a little bit of a shopping spree. Winter here will be cold & this Florida-Girl didn't really have winter clothes...till now. (I know I have no pride). This is Halloween morning....got to put the finishing touches on costumes for the kids. Have candy ready to go (a neighbor said last year they had about 500 kids!!!....OMG!!! Got good batteries in my camera. Today is just going to be a day for fun. Happy Halloween. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:02 am

Hi Unity: Nice to hear from you, and you always have a nice comment.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

last days

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:21 am

My Peeps, Had a funny idea, need to get some feedback. 1 Found out about a teenage spiritual revolutionary. 2 1 I work downtown. The one thing that's off about the business sector is how it all about busy - ness. I could extend my productive day by hours if I could just get away for a 20 minute 'power nap' I think they're called. I've had some ideas - hotels could let out special rooms for that purpose (solo, no guests, etc) but that's hard to monitor and will likely be abused pretty fast. Hmm, there's a karaoke studio with lots of little booths, but probably no where to lay do. The soundproofing is interesting feature for when I need to scream!!! Hmm2, awoke from a dream the other day, and - flash - tanning spas! They're everywhere and probably don't cost that much with a plan or special deal. Problem is, I've never been inside one and wouldn't turn on the UV lamps, just lie down and power nap. Are the beds comfortable? Can I dim the lights? How about playing a CD? 2. Happened on George Saunder's article about this 15 y.o. kid (at the time) in Nepal who sits meditating 24 hours a day without eating or drinking. He hardly moves. Did the usual google research and the Discovery Channel documentary/report on youtube is biased towards western beliefs (something called 'science') and didn't do their journalistic duties well (implied the brother was raking in money but didn't try to see the books, etc. Later investigation by Nepal government said the books are clean and all is on the up and up). So If you care to watch, just pay attention to The Kid. About a year or so ago, he went into deeper seclusion in the forest of Nepal, and said he needs a few more years before he can return to society. During a break in his meditations he made an interesting statement. He is to come out for 4 days in two weeks to protest the sacrifice of thousands of animals at a traditional Nepalese festival. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon My feelings are: listen, Listen, LISTEN. He's onto something. Leave him alone, align your Dharma, raise your spirituality. The Nepalese govt, to it's credit, decided not to pursue a scientific investigation of The Kid, but to advise people to leave him to his meditations. PLG: If you made it this far, you survived October. Congratulations! I've been thinking about your comment on gratification. Any closer/affordable replacements? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:48 am

Hi all Sally, enjoy Halloween and hope your have enough sweets. What would your daughter and husband do if you weren't around to help them? PLG - writing a dance-themed screenplay - that will be a good focus for the days ahead Lynx - what about a beauty/massage place that needs extra income, you could take your nap during the lunchhour when the workers take a break. In Japan they have those strange hotels, forgotten what they are called where you sleep in a sort of capsule.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

breaks

Postby Lynx » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Unity, interesting suggestion. I want to close the door. Beauty salon chairs are open to view. It's not a business model they're ready for (eh, can I sit in your chair while you take a break (while casually waving $20 under their nose). The Japanese idea is call a Capsule Hotel (http://www.yesicanusechopsticks.com/capsule/) I have slept on trains with sleeping compartments, it's about the same size/idea. I just need 20 minutes, maybe twice a day, once a day during busier times. A lot to ask as our American culture would rather I get a cup of coffee. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi, everyone - happy Halloween! I'm surrendering to the trick-or-treaters after this post. Feeling a little discouraged. Doesn't it figure these feelings pop up just after I finish writing about how I feel more focused? I'm preparing music for a long wedding gig one week from tomorrow. Somehow, the client managed to request all music that we almost never do. So we've been scrambling to find copies of the requests and my gig friend has been doing original arrangements of others. Anyway, one of the selections is a song to be performed by the bride's 87-year-old grandfather. I listened to it for the first time tonight and I think it's going to be difficult for us to accompany, as the melodic line is almost like speech. We're going to rehearse with him before the ceremony, so hopefully that will be enough. My back was getting tense as I was thinking about all this so I put the violin down and will go back to it again tomorrow. We got a six-foot tall skeleton monster for Halloween this year. He talks! We named him Giles. Unfortunately, it's raining here, so I hope some trick-or-treaters will come to visit him. He's talking up a storm on our front stoop right now. :) Lynx, I feel for you on the naps. I used to park my car in the back lot of a nearby shopping mall and nod off for 20 minutes on my lunch hour. That was when I was younger and oblivious to the security risks. Some day spas offer 20 minute massages - that could give you a chance to lay down. Maybe if you bought a package of sessions you could get a discount. Also, have you thought of putting together a presentation for management on the benefits of a mid-day nap? I thought I saw somewhere that some companies do allow for nap time. Maybe someone from such an organization could help you. Sally, you must feel joy and frustration at your daughter's pregnancy. I hope you can find some way to set boundaries on how much help you can provide her while living your own life and pursuing your own dreams. Thanks for the comments on clutter. It is definitely one of my demons. PLG, I see Javier Bardeem in your screenplay! He has to play the handsome dancing instructor that sweeps the leading lady off her feet. They go on to become universally respected judges on "Dancing with the Stars." :) ... and some trick-or-treaters have come by. A couple were afraid of Giles, so their father had to ring the doorbell. Hee hee! Have a good Halloween, all, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:15 pm

Lynx - I wasn't referring to a chair in a beauty salon but a bed in a seperate room (the place they do bikini waxing :D or a full body massage or in a unisex salon - men's back hair LOL) hope that wouldn't be in full view of an audience :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

naptime

Postby Lynx » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for the suggestions Mannix and Unity. Unity I got a chuckle from your clarification. L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Success Stories