150 Steps for November '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

150 Steps for November '09

Postby Mannix » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:02 pm

OK, here's the challenge. Take 150 steps towards your goals this month. Nothing big - just little steps that take you where you want to go. A step is something that moves you towards your goals, and either takes at least 15 minutes or is emotionally difficult (like making a call you've been dreading). A goal is anything that moves you forward towards what you want. It doesn't have to be part of a lofty, thought-out goal. If you want to get in shape, your exercise sessions are steps. If you think you ought to get out more, getting out is a step. Each day, check in with the steps you've made so far.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for November '09

Postby sallypz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:59 am

Big step for November is to continue looking for another part time job. Put my resume out to more places. Finish signing up for grad school, plus a certificate class I want to take in spring. Power nap during the workday..that's an interesting idea. The spanish have a good idea with afternoon siesta..Do they still do that? I like the suggestion of a 20 minute massage during the day. That would be a great idea for a business for a massuse or massage therapist. An on-call 20 minute back & neck massage service. Did you realize that some health insurances pay for some alternative services like periodic theraputic massage...you need a doctor's prescription. Little known clauses in health insurances plans that escape many peoples knowledge. I would call my older daughter & her husband underemployed (he does have a job---but potential to be so much more-- he has little faith in his own abilities). And, yes, when she was in HS about to graduate I would have worked as many jobs as I needed to to pit her through any college she desired, but she didn't desire that and I could not convince her otherwise. Some counselor at the HS told her "she wasn't college material" (despite the fact that she got 33--top score is 36-- on the ACT test). I tried to convince her the counselor was full of BS but she saw the counselor as a "professional" and believed her. I did pay for community college on a 'trial basis'--the agreement was as many classes as she passed this semester was the number of classes I would pay for the next semester. I would try to build her self esteem up and the teachers at school would just knock it down. I never expected that to happen...I was working extra hours all the time to put her through private school both grade school and High School. I'd been a Chicago Public School educated kid with no hope of ever getting the 'better' education that the private schools give...I wanted to give my daughter a better education than I had. I didn't expect the private schools didn't care about the kids as individuals....just about how much tuition they could get. ----After she'd graduated---for a time I worked for the Adult Ed Dept of a Community College teaching Certified Nurses Assistants--we had lots of kids from the same private school system that my daughter had gone to apply to the program, they had to take a reading test and pass at least reading at 8th grade level to be accepted into the program. I was shocked...many of the kids from the private school system not only failed and could mot read at 8th grade level.....but a significant number of them could not even read at 3rd grade level. I could see they didn't come from rich families....many probably from single-mom families....I wondered how many extra hours or 2nd and 3rd jobs their moms had worked so she could be able to afford the private school tuition trying to give their child a 'better' education...and the private school system failed them. Many, I felt, should just go to the private school system and ask for a complete refund!!! ----Sorry---this is a sore subject with me & one I tend to get on my soapbox about.----My daughters husband went through the very same private school system. I've been to New York... while there is some potential for success in the 'big city'...being from Chicago...I think a lot of the success potential that people see in big city life is a myth. As far as the baby is concerned she says her and her husband have talked about "options". I don't believe in "options" for married women. I think she will always regret that kind of decision. Life was so much simpler before "options" were available. It will be hard for me to try not to be an interfering mother. Sometimes I wish she wouldn't confide in me so much. Better subject. Halloween was fun. Probably 200 kids came by. There's a house nearby that gives a huge candy bar to their 100th Trick--or-Treater--they take the kids picture and display all the 'winners' every year on a poster on their front door. That candy bar was 'won' very early in the day. The nearby park also had activities and goodies for the kids. I like this neighborhood....it is so family oriented. Another goal for November...clean and organize the garage. Right now it's clutter-land. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 am

Good morning, everyone, Sally - it's amazing how one person in authority, like your daughter's school counsellor, can permanently color your self-perception with one comment. I hope things work out for you and your daughter's family. OK, a fresh week and fresh month. And we got an extra hour of sleep going back to Standard Time. For today, get back to practicing the violin, but with more realistic goals. Make time for Alexander Technique practice - I really need it today, my back and neck are very tense. Shopping for black shoes to match the formal black dress I bought for the big gig this Wednesday. Tackle the six-foot pile of dirty laundry. Set up a game plan for personal goals this month. Not allow myself to be consumed with worry over the gigs this Wednesday and next Sunday. Watch some NFL football. Have a great day, everyone, Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 am

Hey, Sally, sad what your daughter accepted re: her abilities. There are some youth who would push back on that and "show them" and others who signal: "thanks! I was searching for a way out of working so hard." It's also bittersweet when you said you both didn't want to be an interfering mother AND you wish she wouldn't confide so much! For me today: brunch out, looking for plastic trays to organize our copy paper, getting to one orphan box of miscellany (done), and drafting a proposal for a conference presentation due in three weeks. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi all, Mannix, how are you getting on with practising that new piece? Do you think it will go ok when you are accompanying that older man? My goodness, your Halloween man would have scared the living daylights out of me :D No-one turned up at my door so now I've got a big bag of iced gems to eat. I must admit I've never liked Halloween and it's not very popular here, I'd never heard of it until about 5 years ago. Sally, I can imagine as a mother you will be finding your daughter's conversation difficult especially as you all live together and see each other daily. Hi Lynx, glad you were amused by my comment on the October thread. PLG - we're awaiting your screenplay updates Hi Jane - how are you? Sorry if I forgot anyone. I've decided to use this forum as a place to synchronise all my other challenges, that could be very useful to keep myself on track.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi all, I hope it's okay to jump back in. I've been gone for quite a long time. My goal: I want to be a singer. Small amount of background: I took my first three voice lessons last month. I didn't like my teacher very much, and I wasn't heading in a direction that I wanted to go, so I thought that I should stop before too much damage was done. We had just started singing folk songs, and there were a few problems. First, she kept hitting wrong notes while she was playing the melody, and then somehow insinuating that it was me making the mistakes. More background: Not to sound overly confident (if you knew me, you'd know that I have no self-confidence), but I have a degree in music (French horn) (yes, from a hundred years ago), and I'm a good sight reader. I know a wrong note when I hear one. The second reason was that she was demanding a classical sound, even though she advertises as someone who teaches a solid foundation that can be used to 'cross over' to different genres. Since I'm not interested in a classical sound, I didn't want to keep going down that road. I heard myself using the voice that she wanted, and I didn't like it at all. I would like to sing jazz and/or blues, I think. I need to find a teacher who can work in those genres while still providing a solid foundation. In the meantime, I will work at it on my own. I'm pleased to tell you that my $100 with the voice teacher was well-spent, even though it didn't work out. I think the information that she gave me about breath control (which for voice is an extremely different technique than that used for playing French horn) has already changed the sound of my voice quite dramatically, and was well worth the money. Most of you I know from before ((wave)), but I would love to get up to speed with all of you. For instance, I have no idea what any of your '150 Steps' specific goals are... Do you mind sharing? Unity, I don't like Hallowe'en either. What are iced gems? Lynx, what type of work do you do? Mannix, what is Alexander Technique practice? Sally, does your daughter have children already? What a sad story about her educational background. What type of job are you hoping to find?
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 am

Hi all, Mango, welcome back. Iced gems - they are tiny round biscuits with hard icing swirls in different colors on top. As I'm going to synchronise all my challenges on this thread, here are the targets - Winter Challenge Computer reduction (2nd time, found it very difficult before) Health and Fitness Achieve daily target Remember the focus - feel good at Christmas with all family home To-do Lists Do something each week towards Christmas Weekly list Backburner list Finances Do something financial each week, however small
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 am

Hi, everyone, Yesterday, I succeeded in getting some black shoes for my dress - 2 pairs in fact. Did 2 Alexander Technique sessions, plus read part of my book, which helps keep it in my mind. Practiced the violin for an hour. The piece I was talking about earlier seemed easier. Unity, my concern with performing with the older man: We'll only get one rehearsal right before we have to perform, and there are lots of opportunities for him to take liberties with the tempo. I'm hoping we can be consistent and stay with him. We also have two other pieces that need to be rehearsed, and if working with the older man takes too long, we'll have to do them without practicing, and one of them is for the bride and groom's first dance! Gee, as I'm writing this, I can see a lot of speculation on my part. No wonder I'm getting worked up. Husband is driving me crazy this morning. He woke me up cutting his hair with an extremely loud electric razor - it sounds like a public school fire alarm! :? Unity, our big Halloween man did scare some of the little kids. I'm thinking about putting him in my teaching room this week. :twisted: Mango, welcome back! I need to start reading your blog. You seem to be pursuing goals I've thought about for myself. I'm sorry your first voice teacher didn't work out. As Barbara says, at least you got some information about what you really want in a teacher, and what you DON'T want. I always have trouble doing a concise explanation of the Alexander Technique. It's a method to become aware of chronic, unnecessary tension in the body and learn to release the tension. (This can apply to tension that's been held in deep muscles for many years, often in response to stimuli that cause fear.) Many musicians study it. Actors and dancers, too, I believe. OK, off to get started. More later. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:48 am

Hi everyone: How did I miss so much?
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 am

Last night I watched TV.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

voice over

Postby Lynx » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi, Welcome back Mango. I have full-time work, plus as Training Manager at a regional family planning training organization. My main focus is on Motivational Interviewing training and preventing teen pregnancy—or as I like to think, promoting positive youth development. Last week we succeeded in getting a challenging project to help a public housing group become more culturally proficient. This week we succeeded in getting a ten-city project in a large gulf coast state. The process of disengaging from freelance life to this one began here with some entries around the middle of October last year. Current goals:
    learning the sequence of 64 I Ching chapters by heart. Finding a co-counselor/muse to encourage me to finish my book, already. Keeping finding stuff to giveaway to create more spiritual space. Find a place near my job where I can slip away for power naps.
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 am

Hi all, Thanks for the warm welcomes! I worked yesterday (and it has been one hell of a few days), so I only accomplished one tiny step. 1. Sang along with a few songs (I have a 'singing mix' on my iPod), using proper technique, while I was driving to and from work. I wish I could think of a way to practice in my apartment, but it's pretty loud, and I don't want to take the chance of annoying my neighbors and getting a complaint. Any ideas? Otherwise, I will just have to sit in my car and practice. Lynx, I've been thinking lately about how much I would love to have a job helping other people. I do that now as a veterinarian, but I have the idea in my mind of finding some way of helping people more directly, especially those who are 'down and out.' Helping them get back on their feet and take advantage of resources, develop skills (finances, parenting, employment... especially finances, I think). Do you have any idea of what that type of job would be called, or where I could learn more about such a thing? What is your book about? I'm giving things away, as well. Perpetually. I'm a minimalist, so I don't have real attachments to many material objects. My challenge is decorating my new apartment. It feels wasteful to spend money on 'stuff' that serves no purpose other than to fill up space. I know that I have to find the mindset that will convince me that creating a beautiful home will enhance my life and attitude on many levels. But I'm not there yet, and I'm not sure that I can figure out how to get there. Supposedly one of the reasons that my husband and I ended up separating was because I 'didn't put anything on the walls' (which really meant that I was incapable of intimacy and commitment). My ex said that he didn't miss the house when he moved out because it had never felt like a home to him. Ouch. I felt that wherever we were together felt like 'home.' Silly, I guess. Of course, many other things changed after he acted like a narcissistic ass, so I'm not so concerned about his opinion any more. Now it's more trying to find myself and figuring out what I want. A second chance! I'm trying not to screw it up. PLG, your stories about dancing are exciting! It's nice to see you so happy. I am incapable of dancing (extremely clumsy), so I deeply admire those who can do it and make it look effortless. It sounds like you are very talented! Mannix, my ex used to turn on the world's loudest blender every morning, ice cubes and all. I could even hear it in the shower. One of those little things that drives you crazy over time. I might have to look into the Alexander Technique. Anyone who touches me (for example, massages my shoulders) says that I am incredibly tense. Is it something that you can teach yourself, or do you have to take classes? My blog is pretty much nothing at this point. I seem to have lost my ability to write anything compelling, and everything that I write feels stilted and unnatural. Maybe some time off from work (I'm supposed to have 'retired,' but I've been working almost as many relief days as I worked when I was there full-time). It's good for the bank account, but I think it's time for more soul-searching. I now feel the same 'awfulness' as I did before I quit. I had about a week of 'vacation,' and it was incredible. I might have to step out on faith. It would be a bit less scary to try that if I didn't support my mother. I don't begrudge her the money, I just hate that I have to live my life around that commitment. Six years now. Unity, I think it's a great idea to synchronize all of your challenges here. I like the name 'backburner list.' I might start referring to mine by the same name. Have a good day, all.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Welcome back Mango...the singing lessons sound like fun. One place you can sing is the shower/bathroom...we've always had a CD player/radio/ipod in the bathroom...I've heard it said the acoustics are excellent in the bathroom...get some jazz and or blusey CD's or download some music...how about Etta James???..then sing along. Pick one song and memorize it...tune, words and all, polish it (musically) till it shines.....then go on to another..... I've heard it takes some tryouts of teachers to find one that's a good fit... Lynx the job that includes 'promoting positive youth development' sounds very worthwhile...and interesting. PLG---remember when you watch Dancing with the Stars they are doing 'show' pieces---many times they don't follow classic technique but add in a lot of 'show' stuff to make it look good for the audience. It must be a real challenge for the 'stars' to learn and perform a dance piece in only one week to the quality that it can be performed in front of a huge TV audience. But, then again, they are professional performers which means they know how to push themselves and demand top quality performance from themselves. They already are suppose to know how not to give up and become overwhelmed by weeks and weeks of hard work. I like Donny Osmond he is really doing a top quality job, working hard every week to give a great show. But my favorite is the blonde model and the blonde guy (don't know the names)...she's fabulous...and he's just so totally darn cute. Is your priority in your dancing to just learn how to dance or to compete?? Make sure your instructor knows that and he can push you toward that particular goal....if your goal is to compete he will probably teach you differently than if your goal is to just learn to dance. Mannix good luck with the accompaniement with the older gentleman...maybe if your group plays a little quieter, nore in the background then any clashes in tempo might not be noticed??? Also if the lyrics are more spoken than sung (I think you said that is how the song went) that might work a little better???? just a thought... Went to a orientation type meeting(s--there were 2) for the students in the program I will be teaching in in Jan. It gave me a better picture of how my part of the teaching week will fit in with the rest of what they are doing. I also got to meet most of the other instructors....made some new friends....I went home from the meetings feeling very, very good...very positive about this job..... also when searching through my stuff for birth certificate I found my 'train the trainer' certificate that permits me to teach Certified Nurse Assistants in Illinois also...brought a copy to the head on the Nursing department at the school...her eyes lit up...there might be a possibility I could fit in to teaching in that program also....Also gives me another series of job possibilities...I can do some searching on-line for Certified Nurse Assistant programs in the area and send out some resumes applying as a part time instructor!!! There are a lot of those programs around somewhere all I have to do is figure out how to find them... (that's one of my goals for November) another goal is to get all the things in that I need to have to finish applying for the masters program....including registering for the classes another, related November goal is to apply for the financial aid/scholarships that I found for help with school tuition also in November I want to start a filebox for receipts for things to take off my taxes....organize it into a list and keep track of it.....because all my educational expenses are related to professional development they are all tax deductable...also I have to get a series of vaccines, uniforms, etc to teach...they too are all tax deductable....but I have to organize them and keep receipts..so I need to figure out my method...something simple...a spiral notebook to write everything down with a filebox for receipts??? Next goal is Thanksgiving and Christmas...decorating, cooking etc.....I lost all my Christmas decorations in Hurricane Charley & it was not a priority to replace them....so I need to come up with some creative (and inexpensive) ways to decorate the Christmas tree....#1, get out my sewing machine, ...#2, pick up some pinecones to spray paint.......#3. visit some thrift stores.....#4. crochet some stuff.........#5. look up some ez crafts on-line.......what did people do before there were store bought ornaments???......we're going to do an "old-fashioned-mostly-hand-made" Christmas this year....I'm going to get everyone to help make ornaments & decorations......I have been keeping a christmas journal these past few years..it's time to find it and start writing down things... Nother goal....memorize some Christmas songs on the piano.....I have an old cassette recorder maybe I can even record some on tapes for the family????...... Also finish the book I'm reading... that should keep me busy sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

tell me about it

Postby Lynx » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Hey, Mango: thanks for the comments. The book is Top, Tough and Tender: The dance of Powers and Loves in our Lives and Communities. It's about adding dimensions to the ways we think about power and love. For example, there's a feeling that there are "powerful" and "powerless." Well, what type of power? Traditional, authorized, legal, financial, circumstantial, personal presence, rhetorical, etc. No one has them all. Often the challenge for those feeling powerless is to discover which power they can claim and protect in the relationship. Chavez, Ghandi and King never held office (a type of power) nor did they have great wealth, but they moved things. So, what was the powers they harnessed? The love part is harder to write about because in the West this has been overly claimed by songwriters and poets or theologians. Anyway, That's the terrain of the book. Looking for work connecting to people check out idealist.org and the search engine indeed.org Sally: Re taxes. Organize receipts by IRS line item: so books, travel, work required uniforms, etc. Also, keep the list of expenses in a computer spreadsheet and make a note (I use a date stamp) when I enter a receipt on the receipt itself. Record as well any out of pocket cash expenses on the spreadsheet. My columns are: DD MM What Amt How TaxLine Notes/comments DD - day of the month MM - month What - what I did or bought Amt - Amount How - Credit card (CC), cash ($), or check (ck) Taxline -Most of the time for taxline I put in the category (books, travel, work expenses) and figure the line out at tax time. Notes/comments - anything else I think pertinent. If I don't have a receipt (usually for small cash purchases) I put NR (no receipt) Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:19 pm

lynx--thank you for the tax organization ideas. that lools like a good system--much more organized than I usually am. I shall try something similar. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories