150 Steps for November '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for November '09

Postby Mannix » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:37 am

Good morning, all, Mango, sorry about your bad news. Feel free to come talk with us as you need to. Sally, I'm not sure what the legal implications are if your landlord passes away. Might be a good time to consult with an attorney. The Big Gig is now in the history books. Not perfect, but good enough to get lots of compliments from the wedding guests. The biggest story comes from the performance with the older gentleman. He sang fine in the rehearsals, but he was reading the lyrics out of some kind of portfolio. During the ceremony, he sang the first verse, then realized his papers were out of order, stopped singing and started frantically shuffling papers! I wasn't sure what to do so we stopped, too. Finally, we just started the whole thing again and then it went well. This week should be less stressful. Today I'm getting back to working out, one lesson, and take a look at -- again -- my resistance/fear. This time I'm getting a block to taking even a few minutes to look at blog or travel ideas! Ugh, I'm so tired of getting stuck like this. With fewer things to do this week, maybe I can break through. Have a great day, everyone, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 am

Hi everyone: Mango: Hope everything goes okay.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

tenants' union, writing assignment

Postby Lynx » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi Sally, look into any tenants' unions in your area. They will be able to help you understand your rights and options. Good luck. As for me, I just got back from a Professional Development Group. Formerly a group of external consultants which now is a mixed lot, some of us consulting, or still wanting to, some working full time (well, I'm the one working FT, but another two members are seeking either FT or PT employment). For the first time we've had a writing assignment. I must send my gratitude to this thread because I used a lot of what I wrote a year ago. Back at that time I struggled with surrendering to my lack of prospects and success at external consulting. My first cut and paste 'draft' was over 7 pages. I got it down to just under two pages. One of the members is starting a group of writers and thinking of hiring a coach occasionally to help us develop. I may join in, as much as I can given my schedule needs for travel, etc. at work. I have an early start tomorrow, but still may stay late at work to deal with some paper sorting that's hard to do when everyone's busy and around. I want to take over the conference room table and spread it all out. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Thank you lynx--that was exactly what I did. Found the Illinois Tenant Union website and emailed them a question about my situation. I'd also examined my lease. There is a clause in my lease that says the heirs are bound by the lease too. I felt better about the situation having that information under my belt when I phoned the heirs back. Luckily, it didn't turn out to be a problem. They are interested in selling the house (to me if possible it seems)but I don't think I can afford it right now...and after a short on line exam of available real estate in the general area it looks as if there are far more spacious, better places for sale at lower prices also. Hmmmm.....now all I need to do is come up with the money for one of them by the time the lease is up... An interesting thing happened in our search for info on the rental situation. We put in the landlords name on google to see if we could see an obit...(I've never met the landlord)...very interesting things came up...seems she's an author and something of a philanthropist...she led a very interesting, fruitful life. Her husband also died earlier this year. Definately a very difficult year for her family. PLG----I don't think congress will solve the health care mess either. Politically, it's more in their interest to let the problem be controversial...that way they can get campaign funds from involved institutions, keep the public in turmoil, etc...I think many are afraid that if they take too strong a stand one way or another that their political careers will be over because they've angered somebody, somewhere. I don't have quite a hard line approach to unemployed people with kids that lack health care...I'd rather see my tax money go to pay for health care for citizens than have it wasted in some of the other projects around. I heard on a news show the other night that reported unemployment has now hit 10%----we're now into double digit unemployment---and that's just the reported unemployment---I was not included in that statistic because I never drew any unemployment monies---and there are a lot of people who'se unemployment money ran out that are not counted in on that statistic also. We're probably now into the highest unemployment the US has had since the Great Depression. Where all these new jobs are going to come from I don't know...seems America has to wake up and put it's citizens back to work...most people that are currently unemployed do WANT to work. The jobs simply don't exist. Ahh, well... this is not the political thread. Mannix--sounds like your gig went well. You're an inspiration...I need to work out too...best I've done recently was taking walks...and the ones to Dairy Queen don't count. Must get a bike soon there's a bike trail not far from here....and get out the roller skates before the snow puts a stop to that....snowshoes look like fun too. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:46 am

Hi everyone: Sorry Sally about the political rant.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lynx » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Yesterday was fun to write out a few times: 11/10/09 I guess someone had a kick seven minutes after 8 as well. PLG: Anyway, my goals seem to be to maintenance oriented. I've quit smoking for 8 months. I'm beginning to feel like a nonsmoker! I can't stand the smoke at the coffee shop anymore and don't like how it looks coming out of people's mouths. Already about half-way through November. This feels like a pivotal time. Stay focused. I'm doodling around at my office before I get to a meeting at 7. New and goods: Someone I met at a workshop recommended a book about The Muse called Griffin and Sabine (or Sabine and Griffin). It starts as postcards, then turns to letters. It artful, and you have to pull the letters ouf of their envelopes to read them. I've read the post cards and will read one letter ever so many days to get the feeling of a correspondence. Some anonymous person sent a note to my blog saying how good it was! I haven't done a stitch since last year on either the site or blog, so I'm thrilled. It was just the shot of juice I needed. And now, Two annoying things, both corporate related. 1. I carefully filled out my claims for flex-plan reimbursement and sent it off, by mail, to the claims address. Turned out I claimed too much, so I called the office to have them destroy my claim. Then I can send in another with the right amounts. Come to be told: A. Faxes are dealt with in 72 hours. B. Mailed in claims make take over two weeks! C. There's no way she would rouse the considerable resources of her company to look for my claim and yank it. She didn't exactly use those words, but that was what it meant to me. 2. Comcast has been warning us that they are improving their equipment and after a certain date we will not be able to get most of the channels unless we got their box and paid them more money. Well, we don't like bullies, and when they took the comedy channgel hostage last night, that was it. We're cancelling our service. How many reruns of Seinfeld can a body stand, anyway? Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:13 am

Comcast also likes to bully their employees---my daughter is no longer working for them--were going tochange toa satellite provider instead of comcast. Got an email from another school I sent my resume to...they want to set up a job interview--things look hopeful in the job area.....2 part time jobs=1 full time job-benefits. Good thing I still have my late husband's Health Ins.--on me---does not cover my adopted daughter....they refused to cover her because she is not biologically "his" daughter & I adopted her after he passed away....so I applied to 'All Kids" the state "no child left behind" insurance...supposedly they cover everyone sometimes charging a small (determined by income) fee....they denied me also....I get a tiny amount of widow's fed. govt. pension every month so I was honest enough to tell them about it, send them a copy of the only proof of it I get from the fed govt.---well, that was insufficient 'proof' for them---so they denied me.....seems "All Kids" is NOT for ALL kids...my 10 y/o fell right through their cracks in the system.......yesterday while looking up something else I happened to come across the name, address, email of the Illinois Medical Director for Obama's CHIP (Childrens Health Insurance Program) here in Illinois....so I fired off an email to her about the situation with insurance for my 10 y/o.....Ironic, isn't it?? I'll be teaching the next generation of Health Care Workers and my own child can't access the health care system because she diesn't qualify for health insurance... so Let's see what happens with my email... Although I'm normally a quiet, dare I say shy, person when it comes to my children I can get pushy (need to be a lioness sometimes).. In Moscow when Homeland Securities started giving me hassles about bringing Tanya back to the US I figured out how to do an on-line search and got the White House phone number (yep--Wash DC White House) then figured out how to call the US from Moscow (a feat in itself) and actually called the White House and got someone on the line to talk to about the situation... Sometimes Must Be BOLD to get things done..... Lynx, my condolences, corporate internal claims people can be a bear.....take a couple deep breaths, stay calm....is there a supervisor in that department that you can call??? Maybe someone with more authority can get things done for you. Been reading the book "Push" lately..the book the movie "Precious" is based on....WOW!! what a story....sad state of affairs right here in our country. I agree, the government won't change much of anything. It will take individuals to stand up for what's right to affect any changes at all. O guess that means you and me. (you and I???) sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:15 am

Hi, everyone, While at my Monday gym class I came up with a blog idea - must have been that extra blood flowing to my brain. Why not blog about searching for the grave of my paternal grandfather? He died before I was born and had been divorced from my grandmother. I don't think my dad got to see him after they were divorced - my grandmother remarried and they went to Canada. I believe my grandfather died in an accident at a young age, and my Dad doesn't even know where he's buried. Wouldn't it be great if we could find out where he is? I think it's somewhere in or around the Pittsburgh area. So this now becomes an "action" project. I still want to do something on the D.C. area in the Fifties, but I don't know what I'd write about yet. So for now, that's a "go-out-and-see" project. I've been getting mired in that lack of focus and belief that everything else is more important than my goalwork. I even had resistance to reading on a topic of interest for 5 minutes! I scheduled 15-minute goalwork appointments on my calendar. Kept one but ignored two. Made up for it by spending 30 minutes contacting a cousin who might have some information on my grandfather's family and listening to a Webinar on how to use Family Tree Maker. My husband's already started a tree for his and my families so I'll just build on that. Sallie, do you still have the name of the person at the White House who helped you with your daughter? Maybe you could contact them again about her healthcare situation. U.S. Senators and Congressmen usually have people on staff who also work on such matters for their constituents. Good luck, and remember to be persistent if you contact them. Lynx, I remember when our cable company did the same thing - all my favorite channels migrated from "basic" to "premium." Can you substitute by watching your favorite shows online? You could also subscribe to Netflix and watch them on DVD. PLG, I wish you luck getting over FADS. When you have a relapse, remember how many times they've jerked your chain, and that you don't deserve to be treated that way. Hope everyone's doing well, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 am

Hi everyone: Lynx: Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:53 am

Mannix---great idea for a blog. I tried to find my paternal grandmother. She died before I was a year old. My father had changed his name as a young man so her name was different than my maiden name. No one is left from the family that would remember the exact spelling of her last name. I was (still am) not sure of the exact spelling of her last name, but I do know where she's buried. I went through the state public records (on-line) and used an approximate year of death to locate her...they came up with a few people that might have been her, but in order to go further with the search I had to pay and the person I chose turned out not to be her. I tried to search (on-line) through the records of people buried at the cemetery where I think she's buried but the site did not have access to names of people buried in the cemetery. I guess I should just go to that cemetery and look around......it's about an hour and a half drive from here....I have a hard time going to that cemetery because my late husband id buried there also....it becomes very traumatic to go see his grave...he committed suicide & I was the one that found him....I'd actually rather not remember those events. I also tried to find my paternal grandfather...he is even harder to find....all I have is a first name,,,I know he died when my dad was about 10 y/o...I also did a search of public records with no luck....he may not have a death certificate as he died about 1910. U have no idea where he's buried. I tried to find both of them in the records from Ellis Island because they came over in the early 1900 (maybe late 1800's) but couldn't find them either. One of these days I'll try again. Mannix-- I would suggest trying to look at the state public records for death certificates first. Search the approximate years of his death. The death certificate might say where he's buried. If not it would give you dates and place to look for an obit in the local newspapers. That might be a good source too. Good luck. No, don't remember the name of who I spoke to at the White House...probably no one very important....but it did help get things done. One of these days I will write down all the events about the adoption....it was quite an experience, might make an interesting book...at least it would make an interesting family story. PLG---just a thought---have you ever thought of becoming financially independent from your father? so you wouldn't need his money or help to live on?...It would give him a lot less power over your life...and you might feel a whole lot better about the family situation..if you were financially independent from him....You could tell him to 'just take his money and shove it' and walk away from him.....that might feel real good. Hope things work out. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi everyone: Today I feel like I did something good for someone and got my house cleaned.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Hooray!!! I got a job interview for the second part-time job on Monday morning......now all I have to do is get hired!! (If not, then just keep on trying). sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi, everyone! Sally, congratulations on that interview! I'll keep your fingers crossed for you on Monday. And thanks for the tip on searching for a death certificate. Maybe I'll try going straight to the public records departments for Pittsburgh. I want to sit down and listen to a one-hour webinar introducing the features of the Family Tree Maker 2009 program, but I also think that may be resistance - can't take action until I do this "safe" step first. On the other hand, it would be good to learn the computer program. I think the answer is to do both, but start the research first. PLG, great idea to pay your friend to do some housecleaning. He got to earn some extra money and you got a spiffy bathroom! And watch out for those FADS instructors ... :? No goalwork steps today. Went out to the horse farm to help with the animals' afternoon feeding, also a trip out to Charles Town, West Virginia for lunch. This evening I put together a folder of solo violin selections for my job this Sunday. Feeling run-down so will go to bed early ... after I double check that my job is Sunday and not Saturday! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:21 am

Sally: Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:29 am

Hi everyone: I'm at my favorite library today.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories