150 Steps for November '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for November '09

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:38 am

Hi everyone: Today is kind of depressing.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Hooray!!! I did get the 2nd job...but it's far more part5 time than I'd hoped...and the class I'll work with doesn't start until March....I told her if anything opened up before March I'd be willing to take that too....well, at least it is 'a foot in the door'....so now I'm on staff at 2 community colleges. It will be great experience for my Masters Degree. She also said another position may open up teaching in the "lab" portion of the Registered Nurse program..I told her I was very interested...sometimes these teaching jobs are rare & hard to find, the opportunities are not offered very often...I feel I'd better take the job as is (to start) because the opportunity may never come again....like planting a seed for a later harvest....it puts me into a bit of a hard situation,though, I have no income until end of Jan 2010...so I guess I'd better start looking for a 3rd part time job......more resumes, more interviews....(today she also said I had a 'very impressive' resume--I didn't know what else to day so I just said 'Thank you') sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Sally: Congratulations! I hope you can make everything work through the next 2 1/2 months.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi, everybody, A lot of information has come my way on the blog project! I e-mailed a cousin who once said he had a lot of family information. He didn't respond right away, but over the weekend he sent me all kinds of contact information for relatives on my paternal grandfather's side, as well as a picture of my grandfather and a picture of the graves of his parents! Apparently, the location of his grave is not clear even among these family members - he may be in an unmarked grave. So the plan is to get the blog up and running this week, and start solving this mystery! Sally, congratulations on getting the job! Sorry it doesn't start until March. In the meantime, can you sell things on e-bay to make some extra money? Or get a job with a department store for the holidays? I don't know how much seasonal employment is available in this economy, but it might be worth a try. Good luck!
paralegalgirl wrote: Mannix: Please quit analyzing your "resistance" every time you take a step! Who cares about the resistance. If you weren't experiencing some resistance as you live your life you wouldn't be human. You'd be a robot with electronics in you. To be human is to be naturally lazy. If we weren't naturally lazy why would we need a 1000 commercials to remind us of what we need.
I do talk about resistance a lot; don't feel like you have to respond to all my observations. They help me to think. And now ... to plan my birthday tomorrow! :D Just found out my husband has taken off work to spend the day with me. What a great present! Have a good evening, everybody, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:41 pm

:D HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANNIX, HAVE A LOVELY DAY :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Happy Birthday Mannix!!! Have a great day with your husband. Sounds like your cousin gave you some good information to go on. What a great way to view your blog like a mystery to be solved & now you have a few clues. If there are more part time jobs put there I'll find them. I'm just complaining because I was so nervous about the interview this morning that I had a headache after. My form of resistance?? Maybe. Anyway, wishing you the Happiest of Birthdays. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:46 am

Already a Good Morning!!! For the part-time job I was hired for I have to do an 'update class' on my credentials to train Nursing Assistants. The update class us offered at a different college (the full update class is 5 days--the mini-update is 1 day) so yesterday I called/went on-line to sign up for the update---I had to email my resume as part of the signing up process---this morning (7:30am) the dept head called me telling me I probably should only take the mini-update only---in the course of the conversation she offered me a job!!! Talk about making me feel good about myself!!! This school is an extremely far drive. I basically said I would be willing to consider...I will meet her and dept head at the mini-update class--which is Dec 17 for one day. All that and it wasn't even 8 am yet!!! sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am

Happy Birthday! Now, what will I do after Thanksgiving.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:49 am

Well done Sally, it seems you're going to be very busy before long. Re my own steps this month, the overview of the challenge threads - been doing things on all the threads except the finances so far. Added some extra ideas to my Winter personal challenge.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

steady steady

Postby Lynx » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:14 am

Hi supports, Whew, people are having their lives. Mannix - belated Happiest of birthdays, I guess now it's birth weeks. PLG - you evoked the Carpenter's song, Monday morning always get me down. Sally: a third job! You go! Mango - if you see this, I trust you are taking care of things and taking care of yourself. Unity - it seems you are working Barbara's system, and that's a good thing. Me: I'm off to a conference for a few days. Local, still intense. So I'll be getting a peek here but not sure how much time I will have to comment. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Afternoon everyone: Thank you Unity for keeping us up to date.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

My Birthday at the Cemetery!

Postby Mannix » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi, everybody, Many thanks for all the birthday wishes! I spent my day going into the city - a break from my routine of going away from it when I want a break. Husband and I had a big lunch at a fancy Chinese restaurant with Mongolian barbecue. Then we took the Metro over to Arlington National Cemetery. Sounds a little morbid, but it was a beautiful place to spend the afternoon, especially as many trees are still holding on to their red and yellow leaves. We visited the graves of John, Jackie, Robert and Ted Kennedy. Then we walked up to the Arlington Mansion, which is in the midst of restoration. Then visited the memorials to the Challenger and Columbia astronauts and watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. On the way back, we found the graves of actor Lee Marvin and boxer Joe Louis! We also got some great pictures of D.C. from the front of Arlington mansion, and some pictures of a full military funeral complete with black horses and caisson. On the way home, we stopped for coffee and visited with my parents, niece and nephew. Ironically, my mom told me I have a cousin buried at Arlington Cemetery, which I hadn't known. He is also a grandson of the grandfather I'm researching. I'll write more on that in a fresh post so this one isn't so big. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 pm

So ... For my blog, today I posted a request for information on cemetery records for my grandather on Ancestry.com. No replies as yet. Per the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh, I queried the University of Pittsburgh Library but they told me they only work with university students, and referred me back to the Carnegie Library. :? At some point, it looks like I may have to pay fees to obtain information. Haven't done that yet but may have to in the future. Next steps: get that first entry written, and contact some relatives I've never met before. So far I've heard two stories on my grandfather's death (at age 36). First, that he was hit by a street car. Second, that he was strangled to death while in a telephone booth! Pursuing either of these stories should prove for an interesting blog. PLG, congratulations on catching up on your finances. I hope the car will behave itself now that everything has been repaired. Sally, you are riding a terrific streak of luck! I hope this additional job works out for you! Unity, I need to be on some of those challenge threads with you, but I think I'll just be sticking with this one for now. Lynx, enjoy your conference ... if you can ... :) -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi all PLG, I had to put my nose right up to the screen to read that word in yellow :D, lucky you with those new things. Lynx, hope everything goes well for the next few days. Mannix - what an exciting day you must have had. Sounds fascinating. Re looking for your Grandfather. There is a website, can't remember the exact name but it's something like searchforagrave.com or similar. Also to look on military sites as I presume he must have served in one of the wars. I bet you are very curious to find out how he died. Hope it was something natural. However, if he had been killed surely there must be an article about that, I know there are newspaper archives online. I'm involved in research about a very old crime and often read the old papers from US as well as UK, so know they are easily available.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

Mannix: what a way to spend your birthday!
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories