I quit my job yesterday!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

I quit my job yesterday!

Postby mango » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi all, Yes, I sure did. I finally quit the soul-sucking, anxiety-producing job from hell. Completely. I have 5 days to finish out (that I already committed to), and then I'm finished there forever! Come December 2nd, I'm a whole new woman. I was headed down a very dark road, and the only way out was to quit that job. I have to make up the rest as I go along. Yes, that means that I don't have a new job to go to, and I don't have much money in savings. However, with the support of my friends, the immense pool of knowledge on this Board, and a lot of old-fashioned ingenuity and hard work, I'm going to figure it all out. You can track my progress on the Monthly Challenges, if you like. I'm going to be doing a lot of things simultaneously, and one of them is trying to figure out how to make a living. Quickly. ((anxious breathing)) ((I sure hope this works)) Come and join us, for that matter. We're having fun over there. Whether your goal is financial/work-related, some form of To Do list, health and fitness-related, or some kind of personal challenge, it's all going on in the Monthly Challenges. So how about we raise a virtual glass of champagne to my new life? My second chance. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: I quit my job yesterday!

Postby AVATC » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 pm

Greetings, Mango! Here's my toast to you: may you be blessed with unimagined prosperity, loving relationships and the radiant good health to enjoy it all! Although your leap of faith must seem like a scary thing, I am confident that you soon will have some inspired idea(s) to not only make a living, but live the life you love! (Doesn't that sound like one of Barbara's books? :)) Congratulations on your courageous step, and best wishes for your every happiness and success!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby katchal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Good luck! Enjoy your new adventure!
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:13 am

:D Hi Mango :D Have you ever thought of marketing as a new job? After that sales pitch for the Challenges forum, you never know where your new direction might go :D As I mentioned in the email, I never expected you would actually do it. I'm still in shock. Well done for following your heart.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:25 am

Congratulations! Might I recommend going out and getting hold of (maybe at the library) Barbara Winter's book "How to Make a Living Without a Job". Dod you know that at the turn of the last century, 1900, 90% of people were their own bosses? Neither did I until I read it. (Actually, I'm still working my way through it.) Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:25 am

Congratulations!! Barbara Winter's book is a good start. Also re read all Barbara Sher's books. They may, not only, give you some ideas of where to proceed from here but will keep your spirit uplifted (and help you regain the parts of your soul that got 'sucked away' by the past job!) File for unemployment is a good start to help financially if the job search becomes long.....don't be stupid like I was and not do that. Rev up your resume, search the internet for any job possibilities you can think of...then go for it....be courageous. You have a lot of talents and I know a better fitting job (or jobs--as in my case) is out there. We're all here rooting for you!!! sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:44 am

Find a part time job and sign up with temp agencies now. Check with your state's unemployment office. Most states deny unemployment if you quit.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks for the happy thoughts and good advice. I have Barbara Winters' book - I will re-read it. Once my natural creativity kicks back in, I will go back through Wishcraft, as well. I'm not eligible for unemployment benefits. I'm spending a lot of time looking for part-time work-from-home jobs, with varying success so far. I updated my resume last week, and I read an article about searching for work-from-home jobs that offered a lot of good advice. As a gift to you, in order to celebrate my personal farewell to the world of corporate BS, here's a great resource: It's a website called 'Search Tempest.' It's like a gigantic Craiglist filter. http://www.searchtempest.com It will use the parameters you put in to look at every Craigslist ad across the country (and around the world, if you like). It then pulls up the pertinent job ads, based on your keyword search. Pretty cool. Check the 'telecommute' button if you're looking for work-from-home opportunities. A lot of the ads on Craigslist are scams, but some are legitimate jobs. It turns out that a lot of work-from-home jobs that can be done from anywhere get listed in specific cities. Who knew? :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:55 am

Don't forget the links here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18115
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 am

Great suggestions and links in above mentioned thread. Thanks from me too. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Yaaaaay!!!!!! Just think...tomorrow=FREEDOM!!!! 8)
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Yes, congratulations of Freedom Day...do something to celebrate. :D sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LadyKitty » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Mango, If you're still job hunting, I used a great series "Knock 'em Dead" by Martin Yate (found library copies here in California). His resume book had a tip on putting a quick summary (chart, actually, but delete the lines) with column A being a skill/talent required in the ad and column B being a quick sentence or two re: your matching skill. Saves the reviewer lots of time - and your full resume is attached for when you've tantalized them! My current boss said she loved that part. And his book on interviews is actually fun. January can be bleak in some ways -- remember you have support!!! (This is my first post - maybe you're employed already and can pass the torch on!) :wink: Take care, LadyKitty
LadyKitty
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Mannix » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi, Mango, I just wondered how your progress was going so far. Do you have an ideal in terms of your next job? My guess is you want to be self-employed and work as few hours as possible. When the craziness of our holiday in-law visit subsides, I need to do some work on improving my income situation, so I'd love to hear about your experiences. Hope you are doing well, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Success Stories