150 Steps for December '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for December '09

Postby Mannix » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi, everyone, Still getting used to the new floors, which are now completed. Not so much the floors themselves, but the fact that everything seems to be in a different place every day. Some stuff is still in boxes which keep getting moved. Some stuff has been put away. And furniture has been rearranged. It's amazing how something so simple can really throw one off. Tomorrow, I have to pay off the balance owed on the floor installation - $10,000! Then we need to pick out a baseboard style and new color paint and call in a carpenter. We still haven't had the ground-floor bathroom repaired. I think the plumber will have to reattach the toilet as well as the sink, so that will be a ton of additional money. And don't even ask about Christmas shopping or getting ready for visitors. Haven't even started that yet. I did get back to the gym for the first time in over a week today. And I worked some more on my blog. Apparently, my grandfather enlisted in the Army during World War 2. That would make him the only member of my immediate family to serve in that war. My maternal grandfather was the right age to serve, but he had health problems that kept him from being inducted. I've really been feeling out of sorts these days. I'm trying to take them one day at a time. But some days I just want to stay in bed. :? Unity, how did your busy day go? I know what you mean about getting organized. Every year, it seems like we're just starting Christmas shopping on December 22. One year, we didn't decorate the tree until 11pm on Christmas Eve! But then we leave the decorations up until Valentine's Day. :lol: Sally, hope you are feeling better now. I'm sorry for your frustrations and difficulties. You seem like a very strong person, though. You'll find the way to get through. PLG, so this is a huge achievement for you to have gone so long without smoking. If FADS helps keep you from going back to smoking, maybe it's worth it to set aside money for classes? Just don't let them push you into going over your budget. Just a thought. OK, time for bed. Have a good evening, all, Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Unity, Sallypz, Mannix:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:04 am

PLG--the best thing to do for holidays when you're going to be a lone is to come up with a plan of what you're going to do. I've spent a few Holidays alone so I have a back up plan for myself---I will generally go to a movie, then watch videos at home with some popcorn. Tanya and I had some Holidays alone too--open presents in the morning---an after noon movie at the theater--if there's anywhere open eat out (did Boston Chicken at Thanksgiving). Then home for more movies and popcorn. Sometimes going for a nature walk at a park is good too. Make some kind of plan beforehand..it makes being alone less saddening. Did someone mention trying to organize themselves....I'm forever trying to organize myself, my house, etc...seems like I never quite get that task accomplished!!! I went for my pre-clinical teaching physical/labwork/shots yesterday. I've been putting that off. One of these threads mentioned "Resistance Monsters"---mine seem to be hard at work because I've been putting off things I have to do, like the physical. Because it was a pre-employment physical my Health Insurance did not cover it (I had thought it would)---cost me almost seven hundred dollars out of pocket!!!----OUCH!!!!-----at least I can use the same physical/labwork for both jobs (and for a third part time job if I can get one) and won't have to do a separate one for each. And, at least, because it's a requirement for my work, I can take the cost (or a portion of it) off my taxes. Interesting thing happened at both the visit for the physical and the pre-school term meeting I went to recently. Met other nurses who are going/went to the same Masters Degree program I am enrolling in. Both of them have started in the program, taken one or two classes, then stopped. One cited the cost as the reason for stopping...the other girl said it was 'too hard' to take a class and work (said she was doing the program one class a semester). It was a lesson in people who don't follow through. The cost is a worry, however, I think I may have found about 3 possible scholarships to apply for...and will continue to search for more. When the girl at the clinic yesterday said she had stopped taking classes because it was 'too hard' to take one class a semester and work too...I just stared at her in disbelief. She has such an easy, low stress job!!! And she has great work hours...a clinic where she only has to work during the day!! My whole college career has been working and going to school at the same time. When I did my BSN completion course, I worked full time days, was a single mom with a small child, and went to school evenings...before internet...so I had to 'go to' classes. Before that with my Associates Nursing degree, I went to school full time days, with clinicals two 6 hour days a week at hospitals all over Chicagoland, worked part time evenings, was the single mom of an infant----and I didn't drive---I took the bus everywhere!! Difficult, yes, but I never gave up, I finished both courses---and graduated both with honors!! I shall remember both these girls and my own past successful experience in the times when going to school for the MSN and working get difficult. Their failure shall be my inspiration to finish!! Mannix---with all that's going on at your house these days I can easily understand why you'd feel out of sorts. Get yourself some extra rest...and some extra TLC during this stressful time of upheaval at your house. Yikes...it cost a lot of money for your floors....be thankful that you have the money to do that during this tough economy...sounds like your financial situation is much better than many people's is at this time....Congratulations and good for you!!!! Hope the floors are gorgeous!!! sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 am

My older daughter tells me "Mom, you're not the brightest crayon in the box".....so I tell her, "Yes, I know....That's because I'm a pastel!"......There is room in the world for all us crayons, even the pastels. Success comes in many lovely colors. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:54 am

Sallypz: You sound pretty darn bright too me! I hope to take my own advice and not analyze it too much.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:20 am

Hi all Well I'm bringing up ORGANISATION again :D I was reading through your post Sally when you were so busy all the time doing your work and study and it reminded me that when my children were both still home as well as ex, life was very stressful, no spare time I managed to hand make all my birthday and other occasion cards, a lot of Christmas ones too, and spend all my spare time crafting for charity as well as doing voluntary work in finances - and run a house etc etc. And I was very organised. Well they do say ask a busy person to get things done. Now, I'm alone in the house and spent all year doing the special Organising club, I'm the most disorganised I've ever been! I think it's because when you have a lot of free time it's very easy to put off doing things until it suits you better - and then find that it NEVER suits you better so the chores mount up. I haven't made a single card since June. Luckily I made a load of tree ornaments in the Spring so didn't have to worry about them. I want to get back into it and be like PLG, have some things made in advance. I do have a see through folder of some handmade items e.g. cross stitch and embroidery linens but I've decided to keep them for myself as a reminder of my creativity, instead of giving everything away. I didn't attend my craft club Christmas party today because I felt so overwhelmed by things I have to do this week and was feeling really unwell last night because of it. Next year I really want to get organised :D Sally, I'm surprised your daughter said that about you, but I often thing that children speak without thinking e.g. I was completely dumbfounded by something my son said about me when I thought it was such a good idea to ask what he thought my strong points were :evil: Perhaps I just got him on a bad day LOL PLG - so now I wonder why you are putting off the PO box? The hassle of opening one or the money?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:44 pm

She wasn't saying that to be mean.....I'd actually done something kinda dumb...like leaving the dryer running for 4 hours...(the timer doesn't work).... The musical toy bear saga goes on...went to the grocery store and got a free turkey breast with purchase of a ham (in store coupon)...saw a toy bear that is the same body, just slightly smaller, same face as the one I just made but this bear's in a lighter tan color...we have a good friend that had a baby girl born the same time my grandson was born...so now I got the new bear to make a 'girl' musical bear for her..same tune..will put a matching green boy on this one too....great thing...bear was only $3.50!! I'd been looking for something special to get for her and now I found it!! We're also going to give her a CD of the old time radio Cinnamon Bear series. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 am

Hi all Mannix, sounds as if you must have had a very expensive floor to start with if you are paying that balance. Is that covered by insurance? Hope that everything goes well for you now in your home and you like the other work that has to be done. So you've found out more info about your family. Was that from the question you asked online on that site? Sally, hope your other bear turns out well. As the plumber was here this morning, I managed to get some de-cluttering done and wrote a few cards from the addresses I got at the weekend - then added them to my address book. So a few steps done towards this month's 150 steps goal. Ultimately I want to write all the addresses into my greeting card folder, but will wait until the Christmas cards arrive in case of any more changes. Lynx - haven't heard from you for a while? How's things?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:55 am

Unity--agree about the organizing. I've been out of work and home since Feb...moved here in June...with all that time on my hands you'd think I'd have the house organized and everything in it's place....nope....still have a few piles of things to neaten up. Then it seems to get messed up again. Brings me to what I was thinking about this morning. If I havn't said Thank-you all for being here...let me say that now. You all, this forum, this thread in particular are helping to keep me going and hopeful. appreciate that so much. The hardest thing about not having worked since Feb...is bouts of depression and self doubt.......it becomes very hard to get myself moving to go out and look for jobs, to continually post my resume. Now that I'm going back to work part time it is still hard to organize myself for that...I really start to feel like such a failure...like I should have already been able to find a job...and what's wrong with me....and self doubts because of the way the last job ended...being fired, am I really that bad of a person?..I've never been fired before....then I come here and my hope is restored, and I find that I'm able to start making plans again and working on things even if it is a slow process. If I ever do become successful, financially secure again, you all will have been indespensibly important in producing those results. Just wanted to make sure you all knew how wonderful you all are. We had no male members of the family serve in WWII either. My maternal grandfather had a farm, that made him exempt. I think he was too old already too. My paternal grandfather died in about 1919. My dad never served,although he was about the right age...I'm not sure why...except that I know he never had a social security number..so that may have had something to do with it. My mother, however, was an Air Traffic Controller for the military. She had to wear a Military style uniform but I don't think she was in the service...and if she was she'd never have admitted to it. It was not socially acceptable for women to have been in the service. Her two older sisters were there with her. Unknown to my mom, one of her sisters got raped,was pregnant, had a baby, kept the baby for about 2 months then gave the baby up for adoption. The other sister knew and helped my aunt through the whole thing. My grandparents never knew. She felt they would have been crushed if they ever found out. We were all at a family reunion in the mid 1970's. All staying at a huge condo together. About the second morning we were there, my aunt, now married to a minister for many years, with 3 grown children by him, came down the stairs to breakfast and announced to the family "I have a daughter." It's the first any of the family (except her husband) ever knew of what happened. Her lost daughter had found her biological-mom through the adoption agency that had placed her. She was now grown, married with kids of her own. Everyone cried at the story, hugged and eventually we got to meet her daughter and family. They were warmly welcomed into the family. Sad that women were stigmatized like that in the past. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:34 am

Sally I'm really glad that you have felt better while using this site xxxx
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi Unity, Sallypz:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Got a big step done today..went to a day long conference/class to update my certification to teach Nursing Assistants..in my state this is a very heavily regulated field..the state regulates it, the feds regulate, Joint Commission of Hospitals regulate it etc, etc, there are more regulations about teaching CNA's than there are to teach LPN or RN's. We also had to dp return demonstrations of nursing skills today.....stressful, but now done and over with. Came home with lots of good info and resources too....I was offered a job at the school where the class was held..but it's an hour and a half drive from home (in good traffic) so I won't take that one at this time. I'll add this certification to my resume and continue to apply closer to home. sallypz (moxierMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:15 am

Hi all PLG, what kind of jokes did you tell if they would consider calling the police? :lol: Or were you implying that you overstayed your welcome? I think you are right about doing the dishes etc when you can as I seem to get worried about piles of laundry and dishes, although no-one has ever commented on it if they've been to my house. But other people always do it too, whenever I've arrived unexpectedly at their homes. A couple of months ago I remember getting myself into a right state when a man came unexpectedly to my door as he mixed up my home with someone else's. It turned out that I did actually know him and as he was very upset at the time, I invited him in. There he was nearly crying because his mother was terminally ill, only days to go and all I was talking about was how embarassed he'd caught me looking scruffy and the house wasn't tidy. All this reminds me of a radio play I once heard. An elderly lady with an obsession about having a clean sink fell down in her kitchen early one morning. The postman saw her on the floor through the window and got into the house to help. But she wouldn't allow him to ring for the paramedics until he had washed her breakfast dishes and cleaned the sink. Sally, that was a big step, and you were also able to make a decision about that job straight away. I had a doctors appt this morning, which I had to make due to unforseen circumstances, so afterwards everything said was going round my mind, so when I went shopping I had completely forgot that I'd already bought food for the weekend. I was really shocked when I arrived home to put them away and saw all the things I'd bought before. Had no memory of it :shock:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 am

Today is the last day of my little daughter's school before Christmas vacation. They're off for two weeks. Luckily I'm not working and can spend the time with her & don't need to scramble to find a baby sitter. Christmas vacations are particulary hard times to find baysitting/day care. Spring break too. It gets very hard for parents if they have to work. Also when they have early days off, snowdays etc... That would be a great little job for someone. Watching kids during those times..Job before last I had to be at work at 5am..there's certainly no babysitting available at that time of day....would have been impossible for me to have had both that job and Tanya too...so I changed jobs when I adopted her. This afternoon there's a party at her school so this morning will be busy finishing treat bags...and getting as many presents as we can wrapped and hid away so she won't see us wrapping them. Unity good story. Don't have any like it...but I did take care of a lady who lived alone was taking a bath , playing around with the spigot with her toes, got a toe stuck, couldn't get it out, and was stuck in the tub for over 12 hours....the paramedics got the toe out it was a little damaged but she was very, very clean. Funny, but sad too. (Poor thing!! I would have been freaking out if I was home alone stuck in the tub) PLG--There are laws against age discrimination...(I know in reality those laws are often ignored). I have no choice but to work. Won't be able to retire, at least, not completely, ever. This economy slump came at a time when I was working on building my small retirement funds into something meaningful...now even the small amount I did have is sliced to almost nothing. So I'm trying to figure out how to keep a career in something (adjusting the education I already have) less stressful, and more enjoyable, that can pay for my living (and my little daughters) securely, comfortably and that I can eventually do as part time and maybe travel some too. I don't want to end up wandering the streets, homeless...which is what I'm afraid a lot of people my age will end up doing when they're older. sallypz(MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi, everyone, It's been quite a week in terms of changing routine. My in-laws kept moving the date for their visit up, so my husband's parents arrived 2 days early. Then we got word that my brother-in-law's family will be staying with another friend over the weekend, and showing up here on Monday. Then staying all ..... the... way .... until New Year's Day. :roll: Originally, they were all going to be here today, so at least we get the house to ourselves for another weekend. (Husband's parents are staying at the home of friends.) However, we are now getting hit with a major snow storm which is expected to close local airports over the weekend, so their arrival may be delayed further. I'm also supposed to perform at a gig tomorrow night. It looks like it will be cancelled, but probably won't get confirmation on that until tomorrow afternoon. Already, the street in front of our house would be very difficult to drive on. So I'm hoping they don't change their mind and plan the performance. Feeling frustrated that I've completely dropped the blog project. I'd like to keep working on it through the holidays, even if only a few minutes a day, to keep it in my mind. That would be a great thing to work on if we are indeed snowed in. Unity, hope the news from the doctor wasn't too serious. Guess you won't have to eat at restaurants for awhile, anyway. :P Sally, enjoy the time with your daughter. PLG, sorry your relatives don't see the significance of your quitting smoking. But you are also doing it for yourself, and everyone here knows what a great achievement it is. Good night, all, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories