150 Steps for December '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

fallen away Lynx

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:14 am

Hey, I went AWOL on you. Didn't intend to, just decided to push really hard for two weeks to do activities at night while working hard on work projects during the day to see if my energy level would hold up. Kicked off with the Reiki I mentioned back around the 6th and that really got me soaring. So I managed to work it out, but time to keep up here fell away. About my birthday, it was grand, 6 of us in all for the lunch buffet deal. Then dinner at two fancy restaurants with deals, one has $25 off for a meal during your birthday month and the other has a rare lunch seating (Fridays). We went today and had a grand time, the chef came by to chat (we have taken his cooking classes) and wish a happy birthday. I'm way behind on reading this thread and will catch up this weekend. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 150 Steps for December '09

Postby Unity » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:23 am

Hi all Lynx, it seems you've had some good times eating out, glad you are enjoying yourself amongst your work and other commitments. And the fact you didn't forget about us :D PLG - I've realised in life that whenever we do things and expect other people to notice it often leads to disappointment and even it can make us stop wanting to make life the best it can be. This can even happen if someone has suggested we do something and we do it, then it seems as though they are asking why we're doing it? Doesn't make sense. I did delete a large portion of this post because this subject seemed to set me off LOL So to stop smoking FOR YOURSELF, then it shows that anything is possible for you now. Mannix, I wonder if you have the 'go with the flow' attitude to life or are you getting stressed by all the changes and potential inconveniences with all the visitors you will be receivng - until the New Year! I would pack a bag and run LOL Well the medical problems at the doctors are ongoing, but it can flare up at times, had a test done, results next week. I also spoke about my ears (I have TMJ and it really affects my ears). Sally, that story was awful. But you do hear stories of people stuck after falling (in fact there is a dreadful one in the news at the moment, I won't scare anyone with that).
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi everyone: Happy birthday Lynx and a big shout out to you.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

catching up

Postby Lynx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Started at the beginning messages for December and read through them all. Unity: I never realised you could buy lenses online. So that's what you are going to do again then Lynx? I'm waiting till January to use next year's flex money. Probably getting distance prescription plus prescription dark glasses. Eyeglassretailersreviews.com has the scoop. Coastal seems to be the best and I will probably go with them. I used Zinni last time but don't think the lenses had much scratch resistance on them. The frames have been just great, however. Someone said they needed a new eye exam to get new glasses. Not sure that's true. Here in WA state any current prescription can be filled. After all, people often want back-up pairs for travel if they fear losing a set, say, while kayaking. Unity: I have a love/hate relationship with my local cafes or bars. I like going to relax, have a chat or read a magazine but always get people offloading their problems. I don't feel able to tell them to go away. Idea?: Bring a Lucy-like (from Peanuts cartoon strip) sign: Hanging out: free. Listening to your troubles: $X/minute. PLG: I'm wondering if December, January and February will be the most challenging months of quitting smoking. How will I meet the challenge? Great question. Look up "afformations" which is the use of questions for affirmations rather than statements. This one is something like: How will I overcome the stresses of the holidays and sustain my health and finances? PLG: Obviously, I'm not planning to make money unless someone would like to pay me $500 for a pair of mittens. Very funny. Mannix: Whew! You have a lot happening. Here's to surviving the merriest season of the year! Give yourself some time when the dust settles. Sally: I find that I'm able to start making plans again and working on things even if it is a slow process. If I ever do become successful, financially secure again, you all will have been indespensibly important in producing those results. Just wanted to make sure you all knew how wonderful you all are. Happy to support. I need it myself and thank everyone too for being wonderful. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Early Christmas Presents

Postby Mannix » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi, everyone, Just dropped in to say that Santa Claus brought me some early Christmas gifts: 1. A blizzard! :D :D :D Equals: a. Was severe enough to cancel tonight's gig. (Of course, it's not good to lose money on the gig, but if the storm had been any lighter I might have been expected to fight my way out there on windy roads.) b. Closed the airports. Which means the in-laws staying with us will not be arriving until Tuesday instead of tomorrow! :D c. Socked us in. Can't go anywhere so there's plenty of time to relax and catch up on things. Although, Unity, I'm thinking a lot about that comment concerning busy people getting things done and doing less when you have unlimited time. d. Beautiful scenery. Also eerily fascinating to see the roads unplowed, even the main ones. Snow makes everything seem quieter too, and it's so pretty when it's still coming down. Thanks for all the in-law visit support. I'll try not to whine too much in future posts. More later, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

snow!

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:25 am

Hey, Mannix: Interesting how snow came to the rescue! "When weather saved our buns" a new show on Weather Channel. I'll try not to whine too much in future posts. You can always whine to me in a PM. Grumpy people think more clearly http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8339647.stm I'm in so many support groups to spread the grumpiness around, this way no one person 'cept me knows just how much I complain! Wasn't grumpy enough last night as I left my house slippers at a friend's party. Minor inconvenience to get them back. Noticing I'm not as twisted within as before. Lots to do with more other things going my way than say 18 months ago. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:15 am

Hi all Lynx, I need the eye exam apparently because it's been 5 years since the last time, but I avoid them because I hate the air in the eye test. Thanks for the explanation about your online lenses. And the idea about the poster for charging people for 'invading' my space with their troubles. :D I don't mind occasionally but all the time, no thanks! Wow, Mannix, your area sounds like a wintery wonderland, I wonder if you will be able to do everything in time or not (now you've got extra time). And I also wonder if the weather will allow your relatives to arrive by plane or not on Tuesday. I haven't noticed any whining in your posts. PLG, you don't mean you're unravelling those mittens you've been spending all your time on recently? Re your mother and having people over - and seeming to encourage it. This reminds me of the time my children were very small and we were friendly with a couple also with children - altogether there were 5 people in that family and 4 in mine. Well, they used to turn up at my house about 8 am and stay until 10 pm!! With me cooking all the meals for 9 of us or even if we went out to the fair or something, I'd pay for everything. :roll: I was too embarassed to say anything as I couldn't get over how much they took for granted, and like your mother I tended to keep inviting them over. I often think it was because they were 'apparently' down on their luck and didn't have much money and I got on really well with them. Or was it a case of they 'saw me coming' and used me. I'll never know as one day I got a phone call at 5am from the wife and was told they packed up all their things and had moved without telling anyone. Perhaps escaping a debt collector or something. I never really found out the full story. The way you describe the security at FADS, it sounds like the Russian Mafia is in charge :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

air in eye test

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 am

Unity because I hate the air in the eye test. There is newer technology for doing this test. Two years ago I got air in the eyes, this year he had a new gizmo that did it w/o the air and also took 6 rather than 3 readings, so it's considered more accurate. Not sure what it's called, but shop around there out to be someone near you keeping up with technology. L
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi, everybody, Ah, the old air-in-the-eye test ... The last time I went for that exam they had to retry about 5 times because I would blink as soon as the machine fired off the air. I had to force myself to keep my eyes open while the technician reset the machine, which meant staring into the little light without blinking, which caused my eyes to water ... Grrrr! And I'm supposed to go for that exam every year because glaucoma runs in the family. Lynx, I hope that new machine becomes widespread soon. The snow has stopped here but it is still difficult to get out of the neighborhood. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be above freezing so hopefully we will be able to get out. This cumulative disruption of my routine is really exhausting me. The in-law visit dates moving around, not knowing if the plumber will be able to get here tomorrow morning, not knowing if any students will come for lessons on Tuesday because the county has closed schools for the rest of the week. I also don't know whether the in-laws will invade the house while music lessons are going on. Oh, brother. Lynx, thanks for the offer to vent. I will cling to that little sane thought as I slowly lose my mind next week. :) I will also re-read your link on grumpiness. In fact, that is one of the things that irritates me most about these in-laws. They are extreme extroverts and always seem to be happy. They don't understand the desire for alone-time. If their personalities were more like mine and they came for a long stay, it wouldn't be as bad. But unfortunately, that's not the case. With them, everything is either "Amazing!" or "Awesome!" Blech. (Can we make a vomitting emoticon?) Glad you had a fun birthday, it sounded like a really good time! PLG, what an interesting dream about being stuck in the snow. If you really believe your life is stuck, what is the smallest change you could make tomorrow to get it moving again? Unity, I have time but probably won't get everything done before the visit because I keep getting tired, which is probably resistance anyway. I keep telling myself not to freak out about preparing for them. They invited themselves and they'll just have to deal with whatever they get. Glad you haven't seen too much whining yet, but you might after Tuesday night. Hey, about people confiding all their problems to you, could you do a local advice column and distribute it at the coffee shop? Maybe you could earn some extra money that way. :) More tomorrow, -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

quick one

Postby Lynx » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi Mannix: every year because glaucoma runs in the family. there's some herbal remedies that may help. Bilberry, daily in some form, pears, eyebright, and there's a blend I get over the counter called Nutrivision. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:47 am

Thanks, Lynx. I drink a lot of tea so I'll see if there are any herbal teas that contain these. There's also been a discussion about people needing new glasses and I need to do that, too. Lots of eye-themed things this month! :)
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:58 am

Hi all I'll have to think about that advice column Mannix LOL. I remember years ago one woman used to introduce me 'this is my personal psychiatrist'. (that was years ago and I still didn't learn my lesson :roll: ) Ex can never imagine how I get into those situations as he hates anything social and when he lived with me used to ignore any greetings from neighbours, who thought he was very rude :D So I'm not the only one with the air-test phobia. I used to find that I couldn't stop my mouth from opening really wide at the same time when I'm in that Hannibal Lectar contraption. Christmas, lots of preparations done however, I've realised that I've avoided writing the local cards for the neighbours (about 10) and forgot to give my parents theirs. Hopefully will do them tormorrow. Next year I will write cards throughout the year and put them in my new Christmas card folder to save this last minute procrastination.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi everyone: Thanks for all your input.
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

tragic news reply

Postby Lynx » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:43 pm

PLG: Sad news indeed, and with it your awareness of the emotional/social challenges of being close to your family. And now you share you're taking depressants to replace the smoking. The next two weeks will indeed be the most challenging, as you prophesied. One challenge at a time. Lie still until the urges go away. Take breaks, even from family. I once cataloged all the social allowed ways to get a moment: I'm not feeling too well. I need to go to the toilet. [look away absently then apologize] I'm sorry, I missed what you just said. [Start writing things down in front of people.] What are you writing? Oh, I'm keeping track of the number of times you _____. I heard you the first time, but you can keep repeating as much as you need to. If you want me to respond, put my name in the sentence. Lynx
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:30 am

PLG, I was so sorry to hear of the news. My thoughts are with you at this time. xxxxxxxx
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories