150 Steps for December '09

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: 150 Steps for December '09

Postby Mannix » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 am

So sorry for you, PLG. Do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better, short of developing a dependency on depressants. If anyone questions you, just tell them you're not at your best now, or whatever language you choose to use. Walk away from any confrontations whenever you can. Good luck. :( -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:57 pm

PLG--sorry to hear the sad news. Hope it goes OK with your family. We're having 'snow challenge' here today. Getting my exercise shoveling snow. After 9 years in Florida I didn't forget how!! Yes, I too like a little grumpiness with my wine. Lynx I like your list of ways to get away. Had an eventful few days. Went to a graduation ceremony at the school I'm going to teach at. Their year goes from Jan through Dec. for this class. Then went Mon for my ID and parking permits at school also 2nd part of my health physical and to pick up labs (another $28.00 out of pocket) And today more organizing of my teaching notebooks. I need to arrange an orientation at the Nursing Home where the clinical are going to be at for me before I take the students there...I have called the 'contact' person a few times, left messages, and she hasn't responded...will try again tomorrow and if she doesn't answer then again after Christmas. Christmas is gong to be lots of fun with the two little kids...one is 9 months old, the other 10....we will have so many packages under the tree that it will look like Santa's sleigh exploded in our house!! And just maybe the baby will walk by then..he's just about there. This is a good week. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 am

Hi all PLG, I hope you are ok. Had a very strange card today, - it was from an old friend and she appears to be really bragging about her success in life, not sure if it was meant to start conflict or what saying I've got this and that and I paid for it all myself (exclamation marks). Or I misinterpreted it. :roll: I thought it was odd because she's lived with some guy for about 20 years and it's as though he's never in the equation.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

In-Laws, Day 1

Postby Mannix » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:42 am

Hi, everyone, Unity, re your friend's strange letter, she probably is bragging, but probably not trying to rub anything in your face. Sounds like she just wants attention and praise for these wonderful "achievements," and didn't even think about how it would sound to anyone else. She probably sent similar letters to other people as a holiday update. Sally, it's good to here someone else appreciates the fine art of grumpiness. No one in my husband's family seems to get it. Hope you have fun with the little kids on Christmas. I had a yucky, strange day on Monday. First I got an e-mail from the mother of a student I'd given a lesson to last week. She said they would not be continuing lessons because her son "felt uncomfortable. Who knows why?" This woman would have been horrible to work with anyway (didn't pick up her kid until 20 minutes after the lesson ended), but now I feel like the strange old lady who creeps out kids. I can't think of anything I did or said that might have lead to that feeling. My husband said it's that kid's issue, not mine. But I was really discouraged. That same day we went to the local Best Buy (electronics store) and I went to use the ladies room, only to have a young guy follow me into the bathroom! I should have known better than to go in when I saw him hanging around near the door. I went in and waited for a moment to see if anyone else would come in after me (the bathroom was empty). Sure enough, less than a minute later, the door opened. I charged out of the stall and stood right in front of him and he ran out. I told the store staff but I don't know if they ever found them. I won't shop at that store again. The full complement of in-laws are now here except for my sister-in-law, who is coming tonight. Naturally, one of them arrived sick. :evil: And they are staying until January 3! That will be time to go back to work, and I'll be exhausted. OK, I've made myself grumpy recounting last Monday. Be back later. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:14 am

Hi all Mannix, you are probably right about the friend. Last Christmas I got a card from her that was made from a photo of her new country house - it sounds very big, with lots of land etc. I think it's because it isn't something I would do- (talk about success and it was the exclamation marks I was more annoyed with LOL) that it immediately irritated me. That student feeling uncomfortable. Perhaps he's attracted to you? Can't tell his mother? I'm really glad nothing untoward happened in the bathroom of that shop. Hopefully there was an innocent explanation for his activity e.g. looking for a female relative or friend he's lost in the store. Can't remember if I mentioned this here or not, I had a strange enounter not that long ago, group of young men passing me down an alley and one of them smacked me on the bottom quite hard, they were all laughing. No need for plastic surgery, I felt 20 years younger straight away! LOL Relatives arriving sick! That's not right. I think I'd be acting grumpy if they were also staying until early January. Mannix, I hope you can find time for yourself. Sally sounds as though you are looking forward to Christmas with your family.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby paralegalgirl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi everyone:
Last edited by paralegalgirl on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
paralegalgirl
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

InLaws Day 2: A Gluten-Free Melt-Down

Postby Mannix » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, it's only been 2 days and I'm ready for these people to go home. They arrived without a hair dryer, so my husband gave them MINE to use! :evil: I'm getting tired of hearing about the amazing holistic approach to education their kids' schools have. Why, they even got to go to a working farm and spend the night in a barn, and live just like the miners in the California Gold Rush! But the kids are just like any other dorky teenagers - they won't get up in the morning and all they want to do is instant-message their friends on Facebook. If it's not the "amazing" kids, they want to talk politics and changing the world, and I hate talking about politics. And I don't want to change the world. :twisted: They also have special diet needs so we had to go buy a bunch of gluten-free stuff from the local, expensive, health store. Plans for the next day are made the night before, then completely scrapped because it takes 2 1/2 hours to get the kids out of bed. The sick one coughs continuously, and I don't think she's happy with her room because it's bare-bones. ("It doesn't have a mirror!" Oh, the humanities!) This morning was also a Christmas breakfast for my family at my sister's. I got up to wrap gifts and realized I was missing an entire shipment from Amazon, so I had to go to the party with gifts for some people and no gifts for others. The missing shipment still hasn't arrived, so I had to order a replacement shipment, but it won't get here until after Christmas. :evil: :evil: This afternoon, I was wearing a bracelet my niece gave me at the Christmas breakfast, and it randomly fell off my wrist and cracked on our new hardwood floor (which is also full of footprints from my stupid husband tracking salt and snow in from outside). So I had new jewelry for approximately 3 hours. So, I guess that's enough whining for today. I am really in a foul mood right now. Fortunately, no one else is here, but I don't know how I'm going to hold it together when we have to get back together. I'll be glad when Christmas is over. Thanks for listening. Oh, PLG, sorry you had to get yelled at by your brother. Even if you stepped into the wife/ex-wife situation, you shouldn't have to get yelled at. Hope you feel better soon. -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi all PLG, thanks for the updates, glad everything went well for you this time compared to that party the other time. Mannix, you poor thing, I had to laugh at reading your account of the family (sorry about that) but they are like a comedy show with the experiences (Gold Rush) and then the gluten free diet etc. And sleeping in bed all hours. Obviously it's the parents that are trying to be someone they aren't and the kids just want to be with their friends. Sorry you had so many hassles with everything. I'm looking forward to the next installment :D Well I'm back from my Polish Christmas meal at my parents (in one piece) within the first few minutes I got into a row with my Dad LOL, luckily we made up straight away. Later after we handed round presents and were singing carols, Exx (who drove us up there) suddenly said he needed to get away in 5 mins as he had to meet someone. WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T HE TELL ME THIS BEFORE as if I'd known I'd have got my son to take us. So I got him to take son back to our house to pick up his car and as soon as he left I suddenly remembered that son had been drinking. I also wanted ex to cook my Christmas pudding tomorrow (long story LOL) and because he took my son home to pick up the car, of course he wouldn't be able to find the pudding which I'd put away somewhere. Normally going home from my parents wouldn't have been a problem, only it was extremely slippery to walk, plus one of the children didn't take a coat with them. If that is all that is going to go wrong tomorrow it will be ok. I'm cooking a meal for the family and my parents at my home then we're going to ex's family in the evening. Happy Christmas everyone :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Boy, I'm missing all this drama for the holidays :). I'm just going to spend the day at my sister's because my parents are in the nursing home and we've already kind of had our holiday gathering (My brother and his family will go for awhile, though, since they live closer). But, my sister and I will Skype mom and hopefully dad if he's hanging out in mom's room. Dad has a phone out in his hallway, but the clarity is terrible on it, plus he has to trudge out in the hall to get it. Hopefully, mom will recover enough from her cancer/leg surgery to be able to move out of that place. But, she refuses to "care-take" my dad any more, so it will be interesting to see what happens, even if they get back to their apartment.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes, isn't all this Holiday Drama something! Unity--I think your !!!! friend does that because she is amazed that she actually has any accomplishments----probably has very low self esteem and/or self confidence. Maybe she hist needs someone to pat her on the back and say 'good job'. Mannix--I think I'd run and hide in a closet, just to have some alone time. Hope the new floors don't get damaged by all the people. PLG--agreed..don't think you should have been yelled at. ST--but did you play any Christmas songs for them? Hope your mom recovers fully. Made Christmas eve turkey dinner tonite with all the trimmings (except pie--baked cookies this morning instead)--just the 5 of us--no extra's---turkey turned out pretty good..a pleasant surprise. Then my little daughter and I sprinkled "reindeer food" ( a handful of uncooked oatmeal mixed with glitter) on the front yard so Santa's reindeer will see the glitter sparkling in the moonlight and smell the oats and know to stop at our house tonite.....We hear he was passing over Berlin just moments ago... There is still some frantic last minute present wrapping going on around here..I can hear tape being torn...that would be a great line for a poem... Maybe something like this??: Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, Last minute presents wrapped by everyone, including the mouse. The tape it was torn, and not with much care, In hopes to be done before Christmas was there, Crumpled wrapping paper hung on the bedposts askew, The hiding parents hoping that no one else knew. The children were giggling, sneaking, trying to get a peek, Last minute unwrapped presents the prey they would seek. When all of a sudden there came a huge crash, The new bicycle flew down the stairs and landed with a smash....... And what to my wondering eyes did I see, The front wheel came off and rolled right under the tree. I tried to catch it but I fell on the floor, random ornaments pelted me-one, two then some more, the family came scurrying, they thought I was dead, Ahhhh, the worst of my damage, eight tiny reindeer and a sleigh landed on top of my head. Yes, that Christmas at our house, the sight what a fright, The best I can say is: Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!! Love to all....Hope your Christmas is great. sallypz(MoxieMe) PS...The silly poem was by me.
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

How would Jesus Celebrate?

Postby Lynx » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:04 am

Merry Christmas to everyone, Its just before midnight, and Sally, I really loved your poem. Keep at it. Mannix, breathe, Maybe a little E. B. Browning: O, how I do loathe thee, let me count days. They (and possible you) will probably look back fondly in years to come and remember it as one for the record books! Like life in Lake Woebegon, all the kids are above average. Thanks for dropping in Scenario Thinker. Me, I just made my list for my time away from FT work. Two months ago when we were given the week off between the holidays I looked ahead in anticipation of relaxing times with little to do. Ha! Now, it's a struggle to get two connected days that will be literally listless. So it goes. Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:29 am

Oh, Sally. I love the 'reindeer food.' I might even do it myself some day. It's such a beautiful and creative idea. And I don't have any children! Mannix, you can't imagine how much I'm enjoying reading about your time with the family. :D Please keep posting!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi all Well I don't know if you've all had had your Christmas Day or not as we're in different time zones. So I was on my feet from 8 am until about 5 pm when I fell asleep after hours of washing up then went out again and home after 10 pm. All went very well overall (after a few dramas with that bl&**y pudding) although I was highly stressed most of the time until the evening. Sally I hope you have recovered after getting a sleigh on your head :D Nice to see you ST and Mango over here. Hi Lynx. Have a good night everyone :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

InLaws Day 3: The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Postby Mannix » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Well, I've almost completely survived Christmas Day. Hubby and I are home alone now while brother-in-law and his family visit with patriarch and matriarch. The niece is still sick, coughs constantly and ferociously. It's driving me crazy. This morning she got a dressing-down from her parents because, rather than get dressed to go visit her grandparents, she stayed in her room and did stuff on her computer. I heard her dad saying if she wasn't going to visit with people he would have just left her at home. (Well, duh, why didn't you?? :evil: ) Sister-in-law also seems irritated with the trip, but I don't think we are comrades in cause. She seems to want us to be the Perfect Family. At dinner, she asked if we didn't want to say grace, which neither family does. (At least mine or my parents-in-law.) Then while we were watching movies, she observed we really should have the TV off so we could engage in conversation. (Yeah, whatever.) And, of course, she delayed my departure by insisting on a series of goofy family portraits with her camera on a timer. Then we had to redo them when she discovered everyone was wearing their glasses. Everyone back into position with glasses removed, please! :? :evil: :? :evil: Last night the whole clan went to see the movie "Avatar." My brother-in-law bought tickets for everyone, which was nice. But why did he have to call us to give us up-to-the-minute updates on every step toward purchasing tickets online? It's just not that exciting. Yesterday, he called our house 6 times in less than 30 minutes. And then, the piece-de-resistance: after my brother-in-law leaves my mother-in-law wants to move over to our place and spend another week with us! :jawdrop: That would mean having houseguests until January 10! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: My husband is concerned this may be my father-in-law's last trip, ever. They drove 10 hours here from Tennessee, and he has been completely worn out. He is dealing with diabetic neuropathy (can't feel his legs), has chronic back pain from a prior accident, and is dealing with bladder cancer and angina. He can barely walk and is unable to deal with stairs without help. I think my mother-in-law is having difficulty with him because he is often irritable and in pain and yells at her a lot when they are at home. Sigh ... this may be the first step towards elder care for them. Even more difficult is my husband will have gone back to work by then, and my patience will be long gone. It's almost gone now. Tomorrow I'm going to Cleveland to visit my grandmother, who's in a nursing home up there. So I will get a couple days' reprieve from the inlaws. But I'll have to deal with my own family! :) I am so tired right now. No break in sight. Right now it seems like I will never return to my old routine. But maybe that's a good thing. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! -- Mannix
Last edited by Mannix on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mannix » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi, Unity, Hope you get some rest after the holiday and glad you thought it went well. Lynx, try to get some relaxation time in now while you're away from work, even if you have to "force" yourself. If you don't, you'll regret it when you have to go back to work and there's no time off in sight. :wink: Sally, great poem! Reminds me a little of Christmas time at my house when I was a kid! ST, sorry to hear both your parents are in a nursing home. I hope your dad will be OK if your mom ends up leaving the nursing home and he stays. Again, hope everyone has a great holiday! -- Mannix
Mannix
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories